Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A rant about Derpy being removed.

Svinnik

Well, reading this thread is making me realize how many of you should probably get your priorities straight. Now, if you are easily offended, look away.

Like I said before, Derpy is a sprite in the background. There is no reason she should be considered anything but a background pony, or, since she got a speaking role, an extra. When I play a video game, I look at the big thing that's happening, not in the background trying to see a little speck. I mean, yes, she is quite cute. Her design is quite nice. But I never liked the voice she got, so I can't say I liked that.

Now, is Derpy offensive? No. I'm not saying she ever was. What I'm saying is that; WOULD YOU ALL PLEASE SHUT UP ABOUT IT?! I mean my God people! This has been talked about for over a year now. I hate it when people bring out things for a long time. And, you know, majority of the people screaming about Derpy are screaming about Twilicorn without watching the episode. Is that mean of me to say? Probably not, because it's probably true. 

Now, while the above is a generalization, I am tired of people complaining about a stopped, 2D image no longer appearing in the background of a kids show. No one. Should. Care. Derpy is big because of fanon. She exists because fanon.... Look for her in fanon! Not canon! Canon doesn't have her. Now stop ranting about something that isn't a big deal.

/soapbox

• Brohoof 2

How did derpy turn into a payout to people with disabilities in the first place? Was anyone ever making fun of derpy for having wonky eyes though? I've never come across anyone talking about Derpy negatively because of her features. 

Oh wait, that's right....Rainbow Dash implied there was something wrong with her. Thanks for killing Derpy RD  <_<

Is this actually confirmed now? Because the last thing I heard from this was just the Reddit rumour, which was just based on current speculations and rumours that were spreading around the time anyway. Unless it has been actually confirmed, I don't believe Derpy is permanently gone.

The reddit rumor was correct about Twilight Sparkle becoming a alicorn, so I assume that it's correct about Derpy. Plus, in the later episodes of season 3, she's gone just as how the post said. I think that it's pretty much confirmed now that the poster was legit.

Also, Derpy being out of the show won't ruin it for me. I just find that Derpy being taken out is like how AtomicBassCannon said.

Derpy getting canned is what happens when you have a world full of diaper-sniffing (in the words of the late, great George Carlin) soccer moms who want their kids to grow up in a little PC bubble, and they want the whole world to conform to their overprotective standards.

These people need to realize that the world doesn't revolve around their hover parent standards. The world is full of offensive things (and things that overly-sensitive people find "offensive"). But taking away something that somepony else enjoys because it's offensive to you isnt the answer, it's unfair to those people.These people need to learn to put their sue-happy bullshit aside, ignore what they find offensive, and grew a thicker skin. It's a win-win. We keep our Derpy, and they don't have to watch her. Simple as that.

But that's not how it went down, and the vocal minority won, while we the majority got tossed under the buss. Thanks, soccer moms! 

There was already evidence and rumours of Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn before the infamous Reddit post came out - I think he just made the post pretending to be an employee in order to escalate peoples fears of Twilight Alicorn and Derpy removal (concerns which were around before hand, on a lesser large spread scale), but I might be wrong.

I still believe there is a lack of Derpy in Season 3 because it was produced at the same time as the Last Roundup censorship panic. I'm sure that in Season 4 or maybe even the last few episodes of this Season, she'll return, probably in her 'Where's Wally' like status.

Edited by Bubblegum
  • Brohoof 1

There was already evidence and rumours of Twilight Sparkle becoming an alicorn before the infamous Reddit post came out - I think he just made the post pretending to be an employee in order to escalate peoples fears of Twilight Alicorn and Derpy removal (concerns which were around before hand, on a lesser large spread scale), but I might be wrong.

I still believe there is a lack of Derpy in Season 3 because it was produced at the same time as the Last Roundup censorship panic. I'm sure that in Season 4 or maybe even the last few episodes of this Season, she'll return, probably in her 'Where's Wally' like status.

I really hope that you're right and I'm wrong. I'm more inclined to believe the Reddit post but your logic also makes sense. Hopefully, my rant will be unnecessary.

What I don't get is what would taking her out completely do? I mean, I get not giving her lines, or even taking her out of the focus of shots (like pulling the drain in Luna Eclipsed, dropping stuff on Twilight, etc) but removing her from the *background* even?  Let's face it, the *only* people who even noticed her in these shots are hardcore fans.  Would these "soccer moms" even notice if she was in the background or not?

• Brohoof 1

:( this is actually about a year old but really sad and it has dead island music. Very relevant to this subject. Not to mention legitimately sad.

That almost made me weep. This is perfect for mine and other people's argument. It explains why we don't want Derpy removed. I applaud you for finding this awesome video.

Guys guys guys!

Derpy wasn't removed by parents, Derpy was removed by a bunch of Anti Brony trolls who wanted to hit us so it hurt, but this time they've gone too far!

We must outspeak them and demand Derpy back!

Guys guys guys!

Derpy wasn't removed by parents, Derpy was removed by a bunch of Anti Brony trolls who wanted to hit us so it hurt, but this time they've gone too far!

We must outspeak them and demand Derpy back!

He's right.... i complained and I'm branded an Anti-Brony...... yay.

go QQ about going too far when you are the ones who accepted a scene that was borderline bulling/ insulting to Ditzy do for a show for little girls..... good job.

seriously after all that happened after with the raging and threats to people.... are you so shock she was removed completely?   

Edited by PonyEcho
  • Brohoof 1

Another problem is that it makes an even more unfortunate implication by going through with removing her. Now we have already established that she is a loved character who has a job, and (at least in the fandom) is also a single mother, and in every other regard seems self-sufficient.

Now we have also established that it was never confirmed that she was mentally disabled in anyway, but throwing PC in that direction actually tells people "Mentally disabled beings have no place in society and their existence should not be acknowledged". Now this is a negative thing both by itself and in context with everything else we know about Derpy, especially considering that she can handle herself we even if she is mentally disabled.

Here is a video on the subject.

Edited by The Oneiromancer
  • Brohoof 1

Rant over, I plan to make a petition to ask Hasbro to return her back to the show. Do any people think that this will change anything or not?

Thanks.

Nope.  As they shouldn't.

They gave us Derpy in a quick one shot and got shit on for it.  That's not a risk you'll be seeing them take again.

• Brohoof 1

Another problem is that it makes an even more unfortunate implication by going through with removing her. Now we have already established that she is a loved character who has a job, and (at least in the fandom) is also a single mother, and in every other regard seems self-sufficient.

Now we have also established that it was never confirmed that she was mentally disabled in anyway, but throwing PC in that direction actually tells people "Mentally disabled beings have no place in society and their existence should not be acknowledged". Now this is a negative thing both by itself and in context with everything else we know about Derpy, especially considering that she can handle herself we even if she is mentally disabled.

Yes and it is that implication which I believe to be the most damaging, if I wasn't acknowledged I would not be where I am today. When I was first diagnosed with Autism at age 2 the doctor said I would never get an IQ past 50 and if my parents would have listened to that doctor I would probably be locked up in a group home or institution and would never have lived up to my full potential. I am not saying Derpy is Autistic but the similarities between the assumptions that doctor and others have made about me and the assumptions that people have made about Derpy are uncanny.

In all honesty I never really cared for Derpy. To me she was more like one of the extra characters that's hardly ever mentioned or shown so I never got why people became such big fans of her as if she were one of the main 6 ponies. I wouldn't miss her. And I'm not an overly protective mom. 

• Brohoof 1

WHAT?! DERPY IS GONE!?!

I can't believe it! Each of the Derpy lovers put our heart into that grey and yellow colored muffin loving horse and they just yank her of because of a few butt hurt soccer moms?! Shocking! I thought Hasbro knew better not to be listening to them! If the soccer moms don't like the darn show, tell them to walk out the door and go watch something else! It's that simple!

Now, If you excuse me, I have a very important Control Point to defend.

did ANYBODY realize that in the DVD release of "MLP: FiM: The Friendship Express" that the episode "The Last Roundup", they have the UNEDITED VERSION of the episode? i really wasn't expecting that (50% ways, anyway,) when i had rented it from Family Video. UNEDITED!!!!!!!!!!!!! LONG LIVE DERPY HOOVES!!!!

Derpys voice was adorable! I hate how these people judged because of a voice. When I was younger, I had more of a harsh voice and I went through tests to see if I was 'normal'. I just had more of a horse voice than the other kids around

my age. Derpy is someone I can relate too because of my past experiences. I have a friend who can't talk and has a lazy eye, but she is as much as a person as anyone else.

I've been thinking about this and I shouldn't worry too much about never seeing her again in shot. Close up maybe but there's a fair chance you'll see her in the distant background amongst the other ponies as simply no one is going to care if a pony that previously 'offended' them is so far in the background that its hard to see.

There was a frame where she appeared three times so I would assume she was just a generic pony design so again I reiterate there's a chance she'll appear soon enough, UNLESS Hasbro have said specifically "this pony design must not appear."

Also despite my earlier post, I'm not terribly bothered about her removal, was never a massive thing for me but I do believe that if she had fans in the show's demographic then her character should remain, dialogue and all, albeit with a different approach.

Edited by ajm

I really hope that you're right and I'm wrong. I'm more inclined to believe the Reddit post but your logic also makes sense. Hopefully, my rant will be unnecessary.

I have done this before, however it appears some still are concerned about this reddit rumor. Hopefully I can convince you to be less inclined to believe the rumor. As the previous commenter said all of the info in the rumor was available before the rumor. In the case of alicorn Twilight months before the rumor. 

To me though the most suspicous thing about the rumor is the way in which it was written. Lets start with what I think is the most suspicious line in the rumor. "Short of an overwelming response from the fanbase, I fear nothing can be done." Ok first off anyone who worked on the show would know that season three production was done. Nothing could be done at that point, the episode was finished no amount of complaining would change that. Secondly who the heck tries to elicit a response like this? Is this really the behavior of a person working in the industry? "Raise your pitch forks and grab your torches bronies" From this line it seems incredibly obvious to me that this person wanted to rile people up. 

Secondly there is this line. "This pales in comparison to something that came down from above regarding season 4." Why deosnt the poster specify what this something is? This person has already gone this far why not tell us? The one thing that actually might be somewhat amenable to change at this point and he/she fails to mention what it is. If this persons goal was the "try to fix this" then why omit such important data. It cant be fear of breaking his/her NDA, because they have already done so, which moves me on to my suspicion. 

Anyone who has been under an NDA will tell that its an incredibly bad idea to break one, even under supposed anonymity. If this poster did work on the show and was found out it would almost certainly result in the loss of his/her employment. Not only that but he/she would possibly be subject to a lawsuit. Even worse it could actually damage your career by limiting your employment options. When you get fired for such a reason in the industry almost everyone will know about it. Believe it or not the animation industry is fairly tight knit, many of the industry bigs know each other and communicate such info regularly. To put it simply companies will know that that you cant keep your mouth shut and as a result you will have much more trouble finding a job. Who would be willing to risk that? Not only risk that but omit the only info the we would have any hope doing anything about. 

Finally just look at the behavior the show crew normally exhibits. Do you really think this echos that? I don't  They normally seem excited about presenting their work, joking around and teasing us with bits of info, but being very careful not to truly directly reveal anything. Also ask yourself are the show runners usually ones to intentionally incite panic and revolt? Again I don't think so. Consider their response to the alicorn reveal. Most of thhem are joking around on twitter, having already told us to calm down. 

The evidence in the way this rumor is written seems to indicate that someone pretended to be an employee. They weaved together information that had already been established and was being discussed fairly heavily. They did this in an effort to cause panic and incite an angry reaction. The sad thing is that it worked. If by any chance this was an actual employee then this is deplorable behavior and arguably stupid behavior. One of the worst things is that this rumor spoiled the episode by embedding a negative expectation. 

• Brohoof 3

Derpy's gone. RIP. Now it's time for a rant. According to Hasbro, they removed her because of complaints about her voice. What's wrong with her voice? She may sound mentally challenged, but what's wrong with that? I volunteer to work with mentally challenged people and they loved Derpy. They could finally have someone on TV who was just like them. MLP treated Derpy respectfully and to remove her is to concede to the overly PC people who think it's offensive. They haven't sat down next to a 5 year old girl with Down's as I have, watching as she wept in happiness to see someone like her on TV. The people who complained were short sighted soccer mothers who didn't want their children to know there were such things as people who are disabled. Those so called politically correct people can go fuck themselves. They haven't played the game of finding Derpy with a disabled child.

Rant over, I plan to make a petition to ask Hasbro to return her back to the show. Do any people think that this will change anything or not?

Thanks.

While I completely support you, I fear that this debate ended about 11 months ago.  As for a petition, there already is one: http://www.change.org/petitions/hasbro-studios-the-hub-return-derpy-s-scene-in-the-last-roundup-to-normal

Forty four thousand signatures (mine among them) didn't do anything.  However, I still don't think she's gone for good.  If that was the case, then why would Hasbro make a limited edition Derpy toy in the summer of 2012 or place the cross-eyed mare promenantly in their 2012 ComicCon poster?  The episodes airing now were, for the most part, written and/or edited in early 2012, at the height of the Derpy crisis.  So it makes perfect sense that Derpy is not in this season; she very well may come back.

PS: While I have been criticized for this view, I think that a lot of the anti-Derpy petitioners were not soccer moms, but instead disgruntled Bronies and possibly 4chan trolls.  Think about it: No soccer mom knows about the internet and thus wouldn't know the hidden meanings of the name "Derpy".  If you don't know to look for them, it's easy to overlook the crossed eyes.  The voice was the most obvious of Derpy's controversial characteristics, but the very subtle ones were changed to.  Only someone with a knowledge about the internet would know those subtleties.

Hmm, I didn't care for the voice over, and I can see why people complained and why people liked it. But in all the end, I don't think removing her completely from the show is the problem solver ether. Hell I'm fine with Hasbro calling her ditzy, I just want her at least in  the background  :(

I don't even understand why they have to over-react so much that they're going to remove Derpy from the show, she's barely has twenty words in the whole series and Snails sounds even more offensive to disabled people. I can't seem to find anyone offended by Derpy, she's a really lovable, humorous character and people instantly think "Oh this show is mocking the disabled, I want that pony removed asap". 

Guys, please don't bully Hasbro about this any more than they already have been. I see a lot of folks here calling anyone who complained anti-Brony or soccer moms (even retarded in one instance...interesting), without even considering why they might have done so in the first place. It was a lose-lose situation for Hasbro, and personally I think Bronies should just be thankful they got that little acknowledgement rather that continuing to demand more.

Edited by Castoro Chiaro

Guys, please don't bully Hasbro about this any more than they already have been. I see a lot of folks here calling anyone who complained anti-Brony or soccer moms (even retarded in one instance...interesting), without even considering why they might have done so in the first place. It was a lose-lose situation for Hasbro, and personally I think Bronies should just be thankful they got that little acknowledgement rather that continuing to demand more.

pretty much this..... once i let Bronies on another forum know that i complained.... i was bombarded with hate and even death threats.... but I was still the ignorant hater so it was all considered fair, i was even banned from that forum.

and i know i am not the only person to receive that treatment.

Ditzy Do still had a chance to remain in the show as she was in hurrican fluttershy with no complaints so all bronies had to accept the change (considering it was only a TV change the DVDs were unaltered) but bronies snapped at the neck of hasbro and now the poor Pegasus is out of the show completely 

What's wrong with her voice? She may sound mentally challenged, but what's wrong with that?

Her voice was a mistake to begin with. The VA tried to mimic a little boy's voice for a female character due to a miscommunication. I don't know why they would choose to keep it unless it was just pure amazing and did better than they originally planned. Which, it obviously didn't.

And Its nothing wrong having a character sound like a mentally challenged person, but some people do find it offensive. That alone should be enough for anyone to understand and accept instead of bashing them for thinking so.

Derpy is her name though, not Ditzy. Ditzy as Derpy was never once confirmed and for all we know it could be another pony who is just as clumsy. And I don't know what is the worst pony and actions. I see Derpy as a clutzy cute character who tries her best but sometimes messes up.

I've never considered her mentally challanged and I don't think others should too; she's just a clutz like Chuckie on RugRats or Sam in Rocket Power.

Dash didn't call her "Derpy" as "HERP DERP" but called her by her name. And Derpy doesn't mean stupid and crosseyed, it just means a Derpy moment where you make a mistake. Like last night I had a Derpy moment when I walked into a metal beam at work cause I was on my phone. It's more clutzy than anything.

Actually, Ditzy and Derpy are one and the same. Ditzy Doo was her original name (first mentioned in "Winter Wrap Up") and was changed just for us in "The Last Round-up".

You don't. I don't. Others do. That's fact.

You must be new to slang, sir. Derp(y) has very many different meanings. It can be used as you said for when you do something clutzy, but it can also be used to call someone stupid or worse. It really only depends on the person using it and their context. You may have never used it in such a way, but I can promise that someone out there has. Especially considering that most "derp" image macros and whatnot usually have someone with a confused look on their face, their eyes crossed really badly, and used in reaction to someone doing something blatantly stupid.