Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are there more pro-Twilicorns than anti-Twilicorns?

Commander_PonyShep

"What? The series and fandom didn't end when Twilight became an alicorn? Oh, okay. Guess it's not that bad then." 

In all seriousness, sure, maybe she has wings now, but she's still (hopefully) going to be the same old Twilie, and it opens new doors for the writers to explore. It all comes down, really, to if you trust the writers. And I do.

They've all been developing, too, if you haven't noticed. Rarity's already made a bit of a name for herself in Canterlot and Dashie's a Wonderbolt (of sorts) now, so you can't say it's only Twilight.

And you know what I'd rather be okay with than Princess Twilight? Seeing Twilight become a teacher in Celestia's magic-school. Or her becoming one of Celestia's Arch-Magi. Anything, so long as it's more true to Twilight's character than becoming a princess.

To those who think I'm afraid of change, I'm not saying that I am. All I'm saying is that life as a top-ranking magician or teacher would've suit Twilight more than becoming a princess, which I highly doubt either Twilight herself or any of her friends would actually want.

What if she was both? MADNESS. Edited by Descant ♫

Because it's stupid to be against something just because you don't want it to change, even though it could be a change that brings great and new things? 

It's beyond mw how people could watch that near-tear-inducing season finale and still be against the idea, aside from being a little rushed, it was beautiful. Is wasn't Twilight "oh, i'm a pretty princess now, I have to go wear pink and sit around looking pretty" it was Twilight finding her inner power, one she couldn't have strengthened without her friends, and meeting her destiny. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

Commander_PonyShep,

From my observation over the past few days you're definitely in good company with how the whole Twicorn thing is settling out.

Regardless of how the Season 4 premier two-parter will turn out, the horse has already bolted (pun intended). Once the disbelief is broken for me, I don't forget it along with these points:

- Throughout Season 3 the writers, Daniel Ingram and show staff have made upbeat comments on the show on Twitter. Based on how things actually turned out, I'm much less willing to trust them in the future. Understanably, they are like anyone else, trying to protect their jobs.

- Hasbro's interference with the show has brought up the possibility that equally stupid decisions will be made in Season 4. The "Equestria Girls" IP is one example.

- I put my own time and energy into my local brony community. It would be wise of me to re-evaluate things, it's a big world out there. Was ponies good? Yes absolutely, but so are other things.

The reality is that the show wasn't really made for us, it is to sell plastic to kids. That's OK the show doesn't owe anything to me. I'm not entiled to anything, if I don't like it time to move on.

The fan base from my observation has been fairly polite throughout the whole affair. The show is about positive feelings and get along together, so most of us don't want to spoil that for everyone else.

For the sake of continuity, I will probably stick around and watch Season 4. But it will be out of irony rather than sincerity. Personally, I'm playing the game of "guess the playset for the Season 4 finale". I bet it'll be another shoe-horned in character.

Edited by SeaSpray

What if she was both? MADNESS.

But still, it's more preferable to see Twilight become a high-ranking magician or teacher, rather than a princess, a title that just doesn't befit her at all simply because it involves more politics than academics.

EDIT: And again, by now the writers are aware of the controversy, as implied by most of their tweets. That means they're taking the criticism they've received to heart, and are doing everything in their power to correct the mistake by turning Twilight back into a unicorn for the S4 premiere. And, the lessons to that episode might be amongst the following:

1. Having a title and using it to do good is okay, but is never a suitable replacement for being with your friends.

2. You should follow your own destiny, rather than somepony else's, like Princess Celestia's decision to turn Twilight into an alicorn princess.

And, since it's a two-parter, it'll also be a save-the-world story, one that might have Twilight decide between her princesshood and her friends.

Edited by Commander_PonyShep

Well, someone said something, and as of now, while it's not 100% entirely true, it does bring some sort connection to this. The "new guys" are eating up anything they receive with ponies.

I wouldn't normally think of this stuff, about dividing the fandom slimpy for likes and dislikes, but I can see some truth behind this. Probably because I, who've been watching the show since nearly 2 years see all sorts of people joining the fandom, and before ANY season came out, I'd watch the previous episodes at least 5 times, and it allowed me to easily see differences between the episodes, and characters. I don't see many people constantly rewatching them over and over, before moving on to the next one. While this doesn't necessarily prove that those who don't rewatch them can't see differences, it does play somewhat of a role.

I myself had hopes that the Twilicorn thing wouldn't be as bad as others claimed it would be. I felt they were bringing this up too soon, and they were, and not to mention how horribly pathetic in both plot and how fast it was rushed completely ruined it, but what bothers me more isn't none of that, it's how much I've seen things changem and others are saying otherwise and completely dismissing it.

• Brohoof 1

Okay, I think it is stupid how this one thing in a Season 3 finale, makes everybody go all coco and divide as one.I pretty much find it completely sad, but the new members that join the fandom will probably try not to watch the finale. But, I really think that this 1 little thing could cause such a big impact on just a huge community. Get over it, people.

• Brohoof 1

I think the main reason why there are anti-Twilicorn fans is because some people don't know how accept new ideas. 

In some cases, once a person has gotten used to seeing something in a certain form, they become fixed on that form. However, when a change occurs on that something, which affects it's appearance or the like, they cannot accept it because they have the old form of that something in their mind and they simply cannot make the transition.

It's psychological in a sort of way.  

You know why? Because it seems that bronies seem to eat up anything with the label "pony" on it without actually dissecting it or thinking about it's true value and worth. That would explain so many average or poor fanfics (I'm looking at you, My Little Dashie), music, art, and anything else that get praised to no end in this fanbase.  

Umm... Rainbow Dash is a Wonderbolt 

Actually, just because she got to participate in the academy by no means means that she is a Wonderbolt yet.

I think the main reason why there are anti-Twilicorn fans is because some people don't know how accept new ideas. 

In some cases, once a person has gotten used to seeing something in a certain form, they become fixed on that form. However, when a change occurs on that something, which affects it's appearance or the like, they cannot accept it because they have the old form of that something in their mind and they simply cannot make the transition.

It's psychological in a sort of way.  

I wanted to give it a chance, but the writing of the episode proved that it wasn't a good idea and it wasn't portrayed well at all. I don't like it because I thought it was poorly executed and stupid, not because I'm unwilling to accept change.

Edited by Twiliscael
  • Brohoof 2

Well spliting people into to general groups is a bit to.. general, theres plenty of different opinions on Twilicorn.

I think its a bit early to judge it either way, whether you hate it or like it atleast wait to see how she turns out in S4. I personally am optimistic for now, until proven otherwise.

Case and point, its just to early to assume true feelings about alicorn twilight, its like watching the first 3 minutes of mlp and saying JEZZ THIS SHOW IS DUMB. I wonder what kinda people did that..

Seriously we where open minded enough to watch the show, I say we stay optimistic and open minded enough to accept a change that we don't know much about yet.

Its just my opinion yeah, but I think its way to early to say the show is ruined over Twilicorn, or even Twilight. We simply don't know. I just remain optimistic because optimism is a good thing, I try to keep my pessimistic side away because all that does is leave me depressed and depression is no good.

Regardless of opinions I hate this division of the fandom. Its making me feel angry and sad at the same time, and overall driving me coco. >_>

Edited by Zygen
  • Brohoof 1

There are anti-Twilicorns because these people have witnessed multiple shows get turned into stories that don't have the same feeling as before over dumb changes like this so they're not just making predictions of where the direction of the show is going to go they have already experienced similar things. In fact these anti-Twilicorns may have once been like the pro-Twilicorns for the previous shows and said things like "We don't know yet," "Give it a chance" or anything else but became bitter when it kept happening.

I'll still watch but I will always disagree on the change to Twilicorn. Basically Twilight became less interesting to me and I wouldn't even include her into the six mane anymore. She's more like Celestia to me now.

Edited by poniesforfun
  • Brohoof 5

Seriously we where open minded enough to watch the show, I say we stay optimistic and open minded enough to accept a change that we don't know much about yet.

Its just my opinion yeah, but I think its way to early to say the show is ruined over Twilicorn, or even Twilight. We simply don't know. I just remain optimistic because optimism is a good thing, I try to keep my pessimistic side away because all that does is leave me depressed and depression is no good.

Regardless of opinions I hate this division of the fandom. Its making me feel angry and sad at the same time, and overall driving me coco. >_>

I understand your position.

Optimism and being open-minded is a good thing. But never blindly. I think optimism is best preserved with a healthy dose of reality to allow accurate predictions of the future. It is this power of foresight that gives us the enormous power to influence things in our lives and be much happier in the long run.

Don't let this all drag you down, all fandoms have their own internal contentious issues. Stay optimistic and if other posters bother you, just respectfully ignore them. Your wellbeing is much more important.

There are anti-Twilicorns because these people have witnessed multiple shows get turned into stories that don't have the same feeling as before over dumb changes like this so they're not just making predictions of where the direction of the show is going to go they have already experienced similar things.

Yes exactly I have seen this happen so many times to so many great shows and this just brings up so many bad memories. As I have said before I am worried but am also hopeful that this will work out in the end.

• Brohoof 2

I understand your position.

Optimism and being open-minded is a good thing. But never blindly. I think optimism is best preserved with a healthy dose of reality to allow accurate predictions of the future. It is this power of foresight that gives us the enormous power to influence things in our lives and be much happier in the long run.

Don't let this all drag you down, all fandoms have their own internal contentious issues. Stay optimistic and if other posters bother you, just respectfully ignore them. Your wellbeing is much more important.

Yeah I know, but honestly as easy and prone I am to pessimism I try my best to stay optimistic.

I understand there are problems with twlicorn, but there are also plenty of possibilities. So since we haven't seen much of it yet I'm remaining optimistic.

People aren't exactly annoying me with these discussions and splitting of the fandom, it's more like this weird anger because they won't stop, but sadness because i don't like seeing everyone happy and together one moment and then this one announcement and episode ends up turning people who use to be chill with each other almost into enemies. I just don't like the sight of people fighting, especially in this community.

In hoping it'll end as soon as possible, however realisicly speaking I think this may continue till s4 heck maybe even all throughout s4 of the history of bronies.

I just don't like the sight of the harsh drama that's present right now I guess, I wish we could go back to being bronies united, or Atleast go that way soon. But that's probably wishful thinking.

I'm trying my best to be optimistic though, I just guess this is the first controversial issue between bronies I've experienced since becoming one and am just not use to it I guess.

I still have faith we will make it through these tough times though, it's just hard at times.

OH NOES TWILIGHT HAS WINGS NOW OMAIGAWD IS END OF BRONIDUM

Seriously, Twilight has been an alicorn for like 4 minutes. We won't know if it's bad or good until Season 4, whether or not it's permanent, or anything. I say calm the hell down and just wait for Season 4 before you judge.

I'll agree that Twilicorn was introduced a little too early, but I don't agree with the pessimism this is receiving. We have no idea how it's going to turn out, we have no idea what the writers have in store for us, we have no idea what the season finale could possibly be about, we have no idea if Twilight's princess hood is going to stay or not, we have no idea about season four will turn out AT ALL. We won't know a single thing about this until it actually comes out!

You know why? Because it seems that bronies seem to eat up anything with the label "pony" on it without actually dissecting it or thinking about it's true value and worth. That would explain so many average or poor fanfics (I'm looking at you, My Little Dashie), music, art, and anything else that get praised to no end in this fanbase.  

I highly doubt you can put a number on art of any form, let it be pictures, music, or literature. It's all based on opinion after all.

I'm personally optimistic about Twilight's ascension, but overall neutral on it.  I'm reserving judgment for Season 4.

To the OP, I have just one point and a question:

First, you said what I've seen a lot of people say about this: That Twilight becoming an alicorn means the end of the road for her development.  Personally, I disagree - it does represent a big change for her and the rest of the Mane 6, but change is natural in any journey.  It doesn't automatically mean she's learned everything there is to know - far from it, IMO.  I think one of the reasons you see so many people on the "Pro-Alicorn" side is that you have a lot of people holding high hopes for her to explore whole new areas of development that she might not otherwise have had available to her.  And as a result, the show can gain new life.

And now my question: You said you will always hate this idea, and that you don't have any intention of changing your mind.  I just want to ask: Why are you inviting discussion on it, then?  If you don't want to debate and be open to considering opposing viewpoints, what's the point of posting?

EDIT> I also wanted to say something on the finale in particular: The way I see it, there's a big difference between opposing Twilight's ascension on the grounds that being an Alicorn is wrong for her, the Mane 6, or the show as a whole, and being against it because of the way it was portrayed.  Many people agree that the finale was rushed and felt sloppy and incoherent as a result of cramming two episodes worth of content into a 22-minute musical.  But that's just bad execution - if it had been done in two episodes or an hour-long special or something like that, and they'd taken the time to tell the story more coherently, would that have changed your opinion about her being an alicorn?

I think that's the real question here.  From where I'm sitting, there are more people upset by the way the finale was handled than by the story being told in it.

Edited by Harvan
  • Brohoof 3

Twilight Sparkle had always been about studying magic

True, Twilight has been about studying magic, but there had to have come a time where Twilight stops studying magic and starts using her magic to help other. Maybe the alicorn transformation is the way to show Twilight is ready to use her magic in the real world. 

True, Twilight has been about studying magic, but there had to have come a time where Twilight stops studying magic and starts using her magic to help other. Maybe the alicorn transformation is the way to show Twilight is ready to use her magic in the real world. 

I don't think she's done studying.  Not by a long shot.  Perhaps she's just learned all she can as Celestia's student, but I think she's ALWAYS going to be studying.

• Brohoof 1

There

are anti-Twilicorns because these people have witnessed multiple shows

get turned into stories that don't have the same feeling as before over

dumb changes like this so they're not just making predictions of where

the direction of the show is going to go they have already experienced

similar things. In fact these anti-Twilicorns may have once been like

the pro-Twilicorns for the previous shows and said things like "We don't

know yet," "Give it a chance" or anything else but became bitter when

it kept happening.

I'll still watch but I will always

disagree on the change to Twilicorn. Basically Twilight became less

interesting to me and I wouldn't even include her into the six mane

anymore. She's more like Celestia to me now.

I can't think of any one series that had this kind of major retool midway through the show and stil remained as good.

People aren't exactly annoying me with these discussions and splitting of the fandom, it's more like this weird anger because they won't stop, but sadness because i don't like seeing everyone happy and together one moment and then this one announcement and episode ends up turning people who use to be chill with each other almost into enemies. I just don't like the sight of people fighting, especially in this community.

In hoping it'll end as soon as possible, however realisicly speaking I think this may continue till s4 heck maybe even all throughout s4 of the history of bronies.

I just don't like the sight of the harsh drama that's present right now I guess, I wish we could go back to being bronies united, or Atleast go that way soon. But that's probably wishful thinking.

I'm trying my best to be optimistic though, I just guess this is the first controversial issue between bronies I've experienced since becoming one and am just not use to it I guess.

I still have faith we will make it through these tough times though, it's just hard at times.

I think you're making a biigger deal of this than it really is.  yes there's a lot of dissention, but the discussions have been for the most part fairly civil.  For something to "stir up" the community as much as this has, we seem remarkably level headed about it. 

Also I know it's important to be optimistic and have faith, but then you're forgetting the second half of that statement- prepare for the worst anyway.  That way it'll be impossible for the fourth season to let you down.

• Brohoof 1

Hey guys, remember at the end of Lesson Zero, when the princess asked all the ponies to send letters about friendship instead of just Twilight? Gawd, such a show ruiner.

• Brohoof 1

I can't think of any one series that had this kind of major retool midway through the show and stil remained as good.

I think you're making a biigger deal of this than it really is. yes there's a lot of dissention, but the discussions have been for the most part fairly civil. For something to "stir up" the community as much as this has, we seem remarkably level headed about it.

Also I know it's important to be optimistic and have faith, but then you're forgetting the second half of that statement- prepare for the worst anyway. That way it'll be impossible for the fourth season to let you down.

I guess I proably am making a bigger deal in a sense then I should, I'm just worried for the well being of the fandom and the members and it still feels like they've been splitting.

I'll just hope it'll settle down, worst case senario in my eyes for twilicorn is twilight will be less interesting and I won't care for her character anymore. I don't know if it'll ruin the whole show though, I guess we can only wait and see.

I don't even know whether to be optimistic or pessimistic anymore to be honest :/. I refuse to think that the writers of such an amazing show would simply ruin it for no reason. And I am normally pretty easily pessimistic so it's hard for me to ride the middle ground for that. I'm either gonna have to try real hard to be optimistic, or end up being pessimistic. And being pessimistic will make me not only hopeless about mlp but just depressed in general, so I steer clear from it.

I just don't wanna see the fandom suddenly burst, this is like one of the only groups that keeps me in hope for society.

Hey guys, remember at the end of Lesson Zero, when the princess asked all the ponies to send letters about friendship instead of just Twilight? Gawd, such a show ruiner.

How did that ruin the show? It allowed the show to focus on all of the Mane 6 more equally, it made the morals less preachy, and it made it so Twilight didn't have to speak on behalf of everyone else all the time. There were times when that was getting really awkward.

If anything, I'd think all the people who fear the show becoming the "Twilight Sparkle Show" would have really liked the format change in that episode.

• Brohoof 1

Well, you need to have an open mind. After all, that's what made you watch MLP, right? Just give it a chance. You might actually come to like Alicorn Twilight.