Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilicorn  

959 users have voted

1. 1. Do you support Twilicorn?

• Yes
    • No
    • Indifferent

Honestly, some people seem more upset about my not loving Twilight as an Alicorn than I am with her becoming one >_>

But anyhow, as for me personally, there are several reasons. Somehow she doesn't feel right to me as an Alicorn, and Magical Mystery Cure wasn't able to change my mind on that matter. Furthermore, I felt that during Season 2 and after the episode Lesson Zero, Twilight's status as the "main character" was gone, and that from that point forward the series would develop each of the Mane Six equally and at a relatively similar rate. This was something I wholeheartedly approved of, however Magical Mystery Cure made it feel to me like the other Mane Six members' roles in the show were to help Twilight get to where she is today, and I don't particularly like the feeling that that gives off. I will accept the change if they use it to develop her character in interesting ways and if the writers create interesting character arcs for other major characters, but for now I'm not the biggest fan of it. Time will tell.

• Brohoof 4

Honestly, some people seem more upset about my not loving Twilight as an Alicorn than I am with her becoming one dry.png

But anyhow, as for me personally, there are several reasons. Somehow she doesn't feel right to me as an Alicorn, and Magical Mystery Cure wasn't able to change my mind on that matter. Furthermore, I felt that during Season 2 and after the episode Lesson Zero, Twilight's status as the "main character" was gone, and that from that point forward the series would develop each of the Mane Six equally and at a relatively similar rate. This was something I wholeheartedly approved of, however Magical Mystery Cure made it feel to me like the other Mane Six members' roles in the show were to help Twilight get to where she is today, and I don't particularly like the feeling that that gives off. I will accept the change if they use it to develop her character in interesting ways and if the writers create interesting character arcs for other major characters, but for now I'm not the biggest fan of it. Time will tell.

How you got that impression I cannot understand. She's always been central, and was so for Season 2 as well. You don't really get away from the fact that the Mane Six really is "The Mane Six Supporters"- and the sixth member isn't Twilight- it's Spike. Twilight has always gotten about twice as much screentime as anyone else.

(edited)

I'd like to have a list of reasons for like/dislike Twilicorn. I put some common reasons and i’m waiting for you to expand this list.

I'll be updating the list as new reasons are suggested.

Once we compile the list, which might take several days to give everyone an opportunity to add reasons, we can rate each reason on scale of 0 to 10. This way we could see which reasons are the most important to us.

Pro-Twilicorn
Physical:
* She looks better with wings.
* Rainbow dash has a new flying buddy
Character:
* She deserved the reward.
* She was meant to be a leader.
* It’s her destiny.
Show:
* It keeps the show interesting.
* Retconning is worse than sticking to the change.

Anti-Twilicorn
Physical:
* She looks worse with wings.
* She is taller than her friends.
* It breaks 2:2:2 symmetry.
* She’s too powerful.

Character:
* She doesn't deserve it.
* She’s not ready for it.
* She would rather be a wizard like Star Swirl the Bearded.
* She’s more important than her friends.
* She’s an introvert and she’ll be uncomfortable at social events.

* It takes away her anonymity (the Mane Six are nobody in particular and unrecognized by the general public)

Show:
* Executive meddling.
* It goes against the original Lauren Faust vision.
* It cheapens alicorn myths
* It puts focus away from her friends.
* I can’t relate to her anymore.
* It ruins the show for me.

Morals:
* Meghan McCarthy said “Every little girl wants to be a princess”.
* Requirement to change race is racist.
* Transformation was forced on her.
* Miss America said “MLP:FIM really represents the ideals that Miss America is about”.

Edited by MadPointer

Anti-Twilicorn:

It takes away her anonymity. Many of the episodes are based around the notion that the Mane Six are nobody in particular and unrecognized by the general public.

Seriously, this again?

Well, there are a lot of reasons to like or dislike Twilicorn, but it doesn't really matter because we all have our opinions.

• Liking Twilicorn:
  • A new development in her character
  • Her new ability of flying
  • Disliking Twilicorn:
  • If the new character development gets boring.
  • Stress
  • Brohoof 3

But we don't really know exactly what she'll be like as an Alicorn yet do we? I doubt they'll make her TOO powerful. She won't be as powerful as Celestia or Luna at least for awhile.

It doesn't matter if some of these come true or not. I'd like to assess how important each particular reason for us.

If it's a pro-Twilicorn reason, we'll rate it depending on how much we would like it come true and might be disappointed if it doesn't.

If it's a anti-Twilicorn reason, we'll rate it depending on how much it spoils fun for us.

When Season 4 starts, we will be able to see which expectations will come true and which worries will be justified.

(edited)

-celestia used dishonest tactics (spying, manipulating, never told Twilight her intentions)

seriously, its pretty creepy that celestia was watching twilight just to "mold" her into a princess. and she never informed twilight about what she was planning. its an almost contradictory message that the episode had about destiny.

Edited by crazitaco

What again? As far as I can see this hasn't been done before.

Could you elaborate the "stress"? Do you mean that she will be too stressed out due her new duties?

Yes that is what I mean, she will be too stressed out about her new duties as a Princess. Like an overload of work to do and responsibilities  to tend to.

-celestia used dishonest tactics (spying, manipulating, never told Twilight her intentions)

seriously, its pretty creepy that celestia was watching twilight just to "mold" her into a princess. and she never informed twilight about what she was planning. its an almost contradictory message that the episode had about destiny.

Well, Twilight's now in a position to do some molding of her own, so Celestia may well find out that turnabout is fair play if she doesn't live up to her protege's expectations of her.

I just found it to be sad because it felt like a final episode... Though I know season 4 is supposed to still come out.

By the way, slightly off topic, but am I the only one that found it super creepy that Celestia seems to have been effectively spying on Twilight and her friends this whole time with those screens...?

(edited)

There really is no struggle in the show now.  Imagine being a child and watching pokemon in the third season and seeing every single gym leader and league member come up to ash at once and give him all of the badges and awards while the rest of the world bows down to him saying "all hail Ash Ketchum, Pokemon Master!"

then Imagine Ash ascending to godhood on the spot...

See my point?...

What now?...

Also, at this point, I would estimate that there's more teens and adults that like the show than ignorant children so this was a serious troll move..

Edited by John
  • Brohoof 1

I actually don't have any reasons to hate Twilicorn.I do have some reasons to like Twilicorn

1.Dash has a new flying buddy.

2.This might actually make the show a little more interesting.

These are the only reasons i have right now.

Only thing I really dislike is that it happened so soon. It seemed like it should've happened at the very end of the series. I can't say that I didn't see it coming though. I wasn't surprised that it happened. I mean Twilight had been under Celestia's wing for so long and been her star student for so long so why not? It totally makes sense that she would become an Alicorn.

(edited)

Oh please make it stop. :-) Deep breath. OK. Well the OP did such a great job that I feel compelled to reply.

Everypony knows I am a big fan of PTwi so you won't get negatives from me, but I feel that the "change" will force Twi to keep growing and thinking on her own. Not trying to please Celestia endlessly or wait for her guidence. She's growing up and that's lovely to see. I might have more later.

Edited by Nature Spell

For me, and this is kind of hard to write into a single, 1 line "sound bite", but the main reason I dislike Twilicorn is the extra challenges in managing the changes ahead by the writing team.  Too little change, and the whole ascension became completely pointless.  Too much change, and you risk changing the dynamic of the show that has worked so well to this point.  How do you make sure that you've created "just enough change" so that you introduce something fresh and new without risking ruining what made the show work in the first place?

• Brohoof 2

At first I was shocked by the Idea that Twilight Turned into Alicorn. Some how it didnt feel right, but as time passed by I somehow got used to the fact and thats all. I mean I think Twi staying a simple unicorn would be better idea but I dont really see anything wrong with her being a Alicorn. Future will show.. img-1450993-1-img-387689-1-5e7kmu.png

This.  At first, I thought her becoming an alicorn meant she'd be on Celestia's and Luna's level.  But as time passed, her position as an alicorn could be used as a plot device.  I'm okay with this and totally support this.

I used to  not support the idea and now I find myself somewhat neutral. I'm going through the same thing with equestria girls but that's another topic..

I fail to see how they can continue character progression with the rest of the mane6 unless they are going to have it being mostly a physical difference and not make twilights character even more god-like compare to other pones.

Basically it depends on if all the characters are progressed or just twilights.

• Brohoof 1

I'm entirely indifferent to this whole thing. Twilight was never one of my favorites on the show. She was not awful by any means, but she just didn't seem like my pony. Now, my avatar is Alicorn Twilight parodying the game "Kingdom Hearts" but thats just because its possibly one of the greatest images I've ever seen combining the two (MLP, one of my fav shows + KH, my fav game = eternal happiness). But that doesn't mean I love the idea. Twilight is a favorite among my friends (with me representing the Pinkie Pie fans) so naturally they are okay with the idea. I myself will remain neutral until we see how this plays out. As mentioned earlier in this thread, Twilight could just remain a regular character on the show with Alicorn abilities, meaning she wouldn't even be close to the levels of Celestia or Luna. That is what I want. If they decide to make her some big deal, then I will be not okay with that. My hope is that they don't make this Alicorn thing bigger than it needs to be. Even though, in the end I will learn to get over whatever they do with it.

• Brohoof 1

To everyone who thinks Twilight becoming an alicorn disrupts the balance of power between the friends:

In order for the mane 6 to be truly equal to each other they would have to be exactly alike. That means personality, abilities, appearance, etc.

Can you imagine it? a group of 6 Fluttershys or 6 Applejacks or 50 or so Pinky Pies? NOT FUN.

Take a package of yellow #2 pencils for example. They are all exactly alike and therefore equal. What makes the show interesting is the lack of equality, everypony has their strengths and weaknesses and yet they are not so petty as to shun each other out of envy.

In short, they are not created equal and contrary to popular belief, neither is man.

Besides, as awesome as Rainbow Dash is, I think being able to fly at supersonic speeds is over the top in terms of power. Twilight's abilities are much more believable and even though it was a rather harsh transition I still support it. This also implies that the rest of the cast will eventually achieve their dreams, which will put new stresses on their friendships which will require them to continue to learn and adapt in order to maintain that friendship. Things just got a little more interesting...

• Brohoof 1

I'm indifferent about this topic, I don't think that Twilicorn has had enough time on screen to make any reasonable decision yet. I can understand where both sides are coming from but I think that I'll wait for season four to come out before I pass my judgement.