Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Comet Tail

So, in the show, Rainbow Dash wants to fly with the Wonderbolts.

From what I've read, the Wonderbolts are based off of the Thunderbirds USAF demonstration group, but their uniforms are meant to look like the Blue Angels.

I can't help but wonder, though, especially after reading "My Little Dashie" a few days back, what would Rainbow Dash's dream be in the real world? (In "My Little Dashie", she was raised in this world and loved NASCAR.)

My own biases lead me to think that she'd dream of being an astronaut. Flying faster, higher, and more glorious than anything else like NASCAR or the Blue Angels.

Simply put, there isn't a space program in MLP, the closest thing to it is the Wonderbolts.

Though, I have to admit, you won't make the modern space program as a high school dropout, unless you enter as a pilot (which is only 1 of a crew of 7...). But she seems like a perfect candidate for the early space program's astronauts corps, who were really good, fearless test pilots.

But here's the thing: What is it about the Wonderbolts she likes so much?

"... To fly with those great ponies,

The Wonderbolts

Their daring tricks, spinning round and having kicks

Perform for crowds of thousands, They'll shower us with diamonds..."

I still think she'd want to be an astronaut, though, because of her competitive spirit, and they kinda seem at the top of everything. I think they fit the "Select few" best, and they do go on "big adventure". But at the same time, it requires discipline, hard work, and in reality it's mostly switch-flipping.

Anyways knowing her personality, and her said reasons for liking the Wonderbolts, what does it seem like most? NASCAR, Blue Angels, Air Force, NASA?...

Maybe she just likes the thrill of exercise, so maybe even an olympic athlete...

Or maybe it has more to do with them being her personal heroes than what they do...

Thoughts? :P

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

I think she wants to be famous and recognized for her amazing abilities. The Wonderbolts are like the superheros in Equestria.

I love the fanfic, and if it were real.. I would imagine her dreaming about both.

Otherwise, My Little Dashie is just fiction, and she has no other real dream than the Wonderbolts.

I think she just wants to be recognized for who she really is.

She wants to be famous and to be with her heroes who she has apparently looked up to since she was small.

That second line is really probably the biggest thing. After all, I can at least see in my own life that a dream from a young age is basically an obsession. One of the first shows I remember liking was some little thing where the space shuttle crash landed on a strange alien world, that was actually just Mars. But to me at the time it was awesome. Now I'd probably laugh at it, lol.

Still, though, she seems the type that needs/wants a lot of excitement in life. And she definitely likes things cooler, and awesome. And her line in the intro is "big adventure".

Now, big adventure, awesome, being a hero that everyone recognizes, to me that sounds like this:

I mean, if that's not awesome, exciting and adventurous, I don't know what is. Only issue is, it's also something probably only PhD's get the opportunity for, unless she's that one lucky pilot.

Hmm. I've been wondering if things like NASCAR or athletics might appeal to her more because they're more hands-on, but now that I think about it, she'd probably go air force, blue angels, then astronaut for a flying career. IIRC, I think some of the shuttle pilots were blue angels pilots at one point...

I think she wants to be famous and recognized for her amazing abilities. The Wonderbolts are like the superheros in Equestria.

I love the fanfic, and if it were real.. I would imagine her dreaming about both.

Otherwise, My Little Dashie is just fiction, and she has no other real dream than the Wonderbolts.

"But in reality..." Isn't the proper response to a "what if..." question ;) hehe.

She just probably wants to join the Wonderbolts because either she idolizes them, or she wants to show everypony her tricks.

IRL, I imagine she would love to go up into space!

Lol, most people would, I think anybody would (except FlutterShy XD ), the question is would she dream of it like she dreams of the Wonderbolts. Things like this make me wish Lauren Faust would respond to her comments on DeviantArt, lol :P

Yes there is! Princess Luna is Equestria's number one top-gun astronaut! She ran the moon base for a thousand years!

You're not supposed to know about that!

Watch out for Celestia's CIA ponies. They'll be after you O.o

I bet Rainbow Dash wants Celestia to send her to the moon

Oh, all she has to do then, is become a vile force for evil that threatens all of Equestria with destruction or eternal night (which would kill all the crops, so that's destruction, too).

Rainbow Dash embodies the saying "the sky's the limit," so I would think she would prefer to find a hobby or skill which pertains to flight. If her character were human and existed in the world as we know it, she would likely be a pilot or strive for that profession. But anything pertaining to speed---running, driving, flying---would draw out her competitive spirit. In short, a "real" Rainbow Dash would want to be the fastest in the world, and to do so with style. That would naturally lead to scouring the skies, since aircraft are faster than land vehicles. She'd be like Maverick from Top Gun, or Tony Stark from Iron Man.

As for why she admires the Wonderbolts, I don't think it's too difficult to imagine: they fly, they're fast, they're stylish, and they're famous. Rainbow Dash has a streak for desiring the attention and admiration of her peers (The Mysterious Mare Do Well was indicative of that). It would figuratively and literally place her on the summit of Equestria, so to speak, by becoming a member of the Wonderbolts.

If Rainbow Dash could go to space, I'm sure she'd love to do it, but I get the impression it would be a one-shot deal in which she would ultimately come to realize a preference for the blue skies of Equestria rather than the darkness of space.

(edited)

Rainbow Dash embodies the saying "the sky's the limit," so I would think she would prefer to find a hobby or skill which pertains to flight. If her character were human and existed in the world as we know it, she would likely be a pilot or strive for that profession. But anything pertaining to speed---running, driving, flying---would draw out her competitive spirit. In short, a "real" Rainbow Dash would want to be the fastest in the world, and to do so with style. That would naturally lead to scouring the skies, since aircraft are faster than land vehicles. She'd be like Maverick from Top Gun, or Tony Stark from Iron Man.

As for why she admires the Wonderbolts, I don't think it's too difficult to imagine: they fly, they're fast, they're stylish, and they're famous. Rainbow Dash has a streak for desiring the attention and admiration of her peers (The Mysterious Mare Do Well was indicative of that). It would figuratively and literally place her on the summit of Equestria, so to speak, by becoming a member of the Wonderbolts.

If Rainbow Dash could go to space, I'm sure she'd love to do it, but I get the impression it would be a one-shot deal in which she would ultimately come to realize a preference for the blue skies of Equestria rather than the darkness of space.

Here's the thing, though, is that spaceflight is the fastest any human being has ever gone.The Apollo astronauts that flew to the moon, as soon as their engine cut off putting them on course for the moon, they set the world record, and it won't be broken until someone goes further than that. Low Earth Orbit is Mach 27, 17,500 mph, about 5 miles a second. That Apollo speed record is somewhere over 22,000 mph.

The only thing is, though, is you have to be a bit of a thinker to really get a feel for that speed. It's more serene than anything. The feel of speed isn't apparent, but if you can really comprehend what's going on (how you're hurdling through space ten times faster than a rifle bullet), then you can get that feel. But it takes the sort of level of comprehension maybe only Twilight would have.

(If it wasn't for gravity, you'd fly in a straight line. Because Earth's surface is curved, you'd get further from the surface. But gravity curves your flight path. You're in a circular orbit when you're going the right speed so gravity bends your flight path to match the Earth's curve, so you don't get closer or farther.)

Judge for yourself:

http-~~-//www.youtube.com/watch?v=rj18UQjPpGA

Though astronauts do sort of carry that hero status, to be sure, and it is the adventure of many lifetimes, with it's intense moments, most of it is just freefalling around and probably not really intense enough. (Then again, being weightless, I think would be intensely awesome, and thrilling in it's own way.) So, jets may be slower and lower, but I have to agree, she'd probably be more off for jets. Or even biplanes, because you can feel the wind in those.

But once again, what is it she's after, being the best, or the thrill? If it's her competitiveness, and trying to be the best and famous, someone everyone is respectful towards and awed by, then I'd say astronaut. If it's the thrill and the adrenaline rush, then flying.

That actually reminds me of her quote from "Cutie Mark Chronicles" "...I like it, a lot! The wind in my hair... ...turns out the only thing I liked more than flying fast... Is winning!"

Lol, she also mentions adrenaline. Once again, though, she says she likes winning more, but she described the rush a lot more. So it's still hard to say...

Edited by EASA - Dr. Braun

Rainbow Dash's thrill for speed and winning may not be totally mutually exclusive. In fact, it would be difficult to contextually separate them since they appear to be so critical for her character. If becoming an astronaut meant being the best there was while providing a thrill, I'm sure she'd leap at the opportunity. As I said earlier, however, I think Rainbow Dash would feel isolated in space; and despite her hotdogging and occasional lone pony attitude, she wouldn't want to be alone. She definitely wants to be flanked by her peers while recognized for her achievements. The Mysterious Mare Do Well somewhat broke from that formula, although Rainbow Dash ultimately sought public approval of her actions. In the end, it (the public) is the most apparent source of approval and, therefore, her own self-confidence.

Rainbow Dash could probably be the best at a good number of things---Fall Weather Friends made her physical prowess abundantly clear---but she seems most especially drawn to tasks which result in some form of gratification, even though her fear of failure can get the best of her. This is an extrapolation without a clear canonical basis, but my sense is Rainbow Dash would get bored if she stuck with any one task for too long---especially if there is, speaking tongue-in-cheek, greater power, greater speed to be had. But she's not the kind of pony to stay in place for an extended period of time. The one aspect of her life which keeps her grounded figuratively---and sometimes literally---are her friends. And I think that provides her with the ultimate sense of self-worth.

So, again, I don't believe it's solely an either/or question. She's Rainbow (thrill; bravado) Dash (speed). Take one of those parts of her away, and the other becomes a hallow attribute.

I hope I didn't ramble too much on this matter! ^_^;

• Brohoof 1

Rainbow Dash's thrill for speed and winning may not be totally mutually exclusive. In fact, it would be difficult to contextually separate them since they appear to be so critical for her character. If becoming an astronaut meant being the best there was while providing a thrill, I'm sure she'd leap at the opportunity. As I said earlier, however, I think Rainbow Dash would feel isolated in space; and despite her hotdogging and occasional lone pony attitude, she wouldn't want to be alone. She definitely wants to be flanked by her peers while recognized for her achievements. The Mysterious Mare Do Well somewhat broke from that formula, although Rainbow Dash ultimately sought public approval of her actions. In the end, it (the public) is the most apparent source of approval and, therefore, her own self-confidence.

Rainbow Dash could probably be the best at a good number of things---Fall Weather Friends made her physical prowess abundantly clear---but she seems most especially drawn to tasks which result in some form of gratification, even though her fear of failure can get the best of her. This is an extrapolation without a clear canonical basis, but my sense is Rainbow Dash would get bored if she stuck with any one task for too long---especially if there is, speaking tongue-in-cheek, greater power, greater speed to be had. But she's not the kind of pony to stay in place for an extended period of time. The one aspect of her life which keeps her grounded figuratively---and sometimes literally---are her friends. And I think that provides her with the ultimate sense of self-worth.

So, again, I don't believe it's solely an either/or question. She's Rainbow (thrill; bravado) Dash (speed). Take one of those parts of her away, and the other becomes a hallow attribute.

I hope I didn't ramble too much on this matter! ^_^;

You could've "rambled" longer and it would've been alright :)

The one thing I'll protest, is while space is kind of isolating, and in the early space programs they usually flew alone for maybe a day, ever since Apollo ended, there has never been a lonely astronaut. (During Apollo, the Command Module (CM) would undock from the Lunar Excersion Module (LEM, lunar lander + rocket to return to the CM in orbit), the CM would carry a lone astronaut while the LEM had two people to walk about on the Moon.)

Since then, all 135 shuttle flights other than the first, have had a crew of 4 to 7, almost always 7. That's more than her social circle, so I dunno how isolating it would be. As for a Mars mission, I think the smallest crew that's been considered is 4, IIRC, but it'll likely be a crew of 5 or 6.

Astronauts go through a long, intense training process, that's also meant to cement the crew together so they can work smoothly as a team. As a result, they end up being great friends, perhaps a sort of bond almost like soldiers who fight together.

So her friends would be there. I dunno how important it is that the appreciating crowds physically be there, but at least she'd know the entire world is down below.

[...]

Rainbow Dash could probably be the best at a good number of things---Fall Weather Friends made her physical prowess abundantly clear---but she seems most especially drawn to tasks which result in some form of gratification...

So... The fact that it's something she'll be appreciated for is more important than it being physical in your opinion? Interesting idea, that does blend in smoothly with her character. This is something I'd like to hear more thought/study on... Very, very intruiging. Also has implications for my fanfic WIP, too :P

• Brohoof 1

I meant that space is more isolated in that there is a distinct separation from you and the rest of the world. I think Rainbow Dash thrives on being connected to all those around her and the world in which she inhabits. There aren't any canyons to maneuver---unless you go to the moon or another planet, perhaps---or wind, as you phrased it, to flow through your mane. In the long-term, I can imagine Rainbow Dash thinking (or saying) about reaching space: "Great! I've done it!...Now what...? What else is there to do here...?"

I definitely agree that she would get quite attached to the team with which she was working, even if she occasionally sought to steal the spotlight. She wouldn't want to do anything that compromised their safety, although her impulsiveness could get in her way. For example, Rainbow Dash might declare that since they're in space, they might as well go to the moon, neglecting the logistical limitations. It is not so much because she would want the glory but rather due to her aforementioned desire to go one step beyond the norm.

So... The fact that it's something she'll be appreciated for is more important than it being physical in your opinion? Interesting idea, that does blend in smoothly with her character. This is something I'd like to hear more thought/study on... Very, very intruiging. Also has implications for my fanfic WIP, too

Again, I wouldn't strike it as mutually exclusive. I think Rainbow Dash enjoys being appreciated for what she does best; often these tasks are of a physical, daredevil nature. Continuing to reference The Mysterious Mare Do Well, she did emphasize being appreciated, even if she began to look for mundane tasks to complete in a heroic fashion. If she happened to stumble over success in doing something which did not come naturally to her, I think she would embrace it for a while, but the MLP narrative would likely teach her that you should do what you like rather than what simply makes you successful in life.