Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

sLORT

I have a little theory about how our bodies and our minds work. Essentially, a human is just a walking brain, powered by an extremely complex life support system called "the body". Supposedly, even if this life support system is destroyed, the brain itself lives on for a short while, eventually dying from a lack of oxygen.The brain controls the functions of this support system while the system keeps the brain alive. So here's my theory. Ever seen or heard of someone just dying, out of nowhere. They where perfectly healthy yet they just... die. They shut down. Another thing I should mentions is that the human body slowly improves after times goes on. You get taller, stronger, and smarter as you grow older. However, you will eventually reach a point where you stop advancing and your body begins to decline. Bodily functions will begin to deteriorate, eventually shutting down all together and the brain slowly begins to malfunction and also shut down (this is disregarding disease or accidents). So, I believe that the brain has a built in "timer" that starts ticking as soon as you are born. By the time this timer is over, your brain activates some kind of internal off-switch. From there, the body stops improving and begins to shut off slowly until the support system is down and the brain eventually dies. Theoretically, if this "timer" exists, we could supposedly remove the timer and off-switch, so the only way a human could die is from disease and accidents and other preventable deaths. What do you people think of this?

• Brohoof 1

That thing you said isn't just a theory, as I can think of some scientific discoveries that help prove this. One being this thing in our genes that slowly deteriorates and becomes damaged everytime the cell splits. 

Scientists have also created an immortal cell of some one who died... but like everything, there is a consequence of their actions. They found out the consequence is that the cell becomes cancerous. 

So I think your theory has a lot of truth to it, thanks for sharing it to us. =D

Your first point is more or less already established, the only thing has yet to be addressed scientifically is "consciousness", also the idea that the body improves is odd, I mean, we grow, but there are many cases where children are better off health wise at a younger age than at an older one. But we do "grow", for better or worse the human body changes through all years of life.

And you're 3rd point is just crazy, human longevity isn't determined by a switch in the brain, that would have no purpose evolutionarily speaking and it simply has zero evidence.

However there is a DNA sequence that determines more or less how your cells can replicate and how many times they can do so, this could be changed to increase life but there is no magic cure or "switch" we can flip to end all diseases and live forever. The only way this is feasible would involve genetic modification, and perhaps significant advanced in stem cell research...Well at least organic immortality.

Theoretically we could upload the human brain into a computer eventually, but that comes with the issue of consciousness, I mean if you and a clone existed at the same age and same time your consciousness would not occupy 2 bodies at once, so to say your consciousness could transfer to a computer is kind of silly.

But I'm rambling...haha

That thing you said isn't just a theory, as I can think of some scientific discoveries that help prove this. One being this thing in our genes that slowly deteriorates and becomes damaged everytime the cell splits. 

Scientists have also created an immortal cell of some one who died... but like everything, there is a consequence of their actions. They found out the consequence is that the cell becomes cancerous. 

So I think your theory has a lot of truth to it, thanks for sharing it to us. =D

By the logic of your second paragraph, if we can cure cancer we can become immortal. And I just so happen to really like that logic.

Get more people on cancer research!

(edited)

*While reading*

You definitely grow taller stronger and older as you grow older.

I mean, just look at this stellar pillar of health. He could beat me in a fight any day.

old+man.jpg

*Stops at "With a timer**

You mean like those HP printers that stop working eventually?

Edited by Harmonic Revelations
  • Brohoof 1

Bodies deteriorate with age because of a phenomenon known as cellular senescence. As cells replicate, their telomeres shorten, which restricts the amount of times they can replicate.

As for why that matters on a macro scale... you tell me. From what I can tell, not single person on the Internet has connected senescence with aging, and it's most certainly not self-explanatory. So the best I can give you is a starting point for some research of your own.