Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

My Experience as a Brony

ZomBrony

(edited)

In honour of the fandom for what you have all done for me, and in celebration of my Brony Anniversary, I present to thee, the Bronies of MLP Forums: my experience as a Brony.

Before finding MLP, I was immensely depressed. Rarely leaving my computer making no effort whatsoever to make new friends, never seeking help from anyone. Occasionally wandering what the point of my existence was. I never really got suicidal but I did question my existence. I saw no purpose for me to live but knew it wasn't bad enough to kill myself even though I sometimes thought about that too. Watching MLP, it made me happy for the first time in years. I watched all of S1 and what was available of S2 within two weeks then went to Wikipedia to watch previous-generations. By the time I had watched all of what was available for G1-3.5 there were about two more episodes available and after I watched them I went to YouTube to search for new episodes every day and re-watched episodes I liked. After getting nowhere with YouTube I googled MLP Episodes and found my way to MLP Forums. Once I was a member of MLP Forums, as you may remember, I was super-active for two or three months enjoying every little bit of pony I could. Those first three months were the happiest I had been in years and after that, after realizing how nice it really was to be part of a community, I started actively trying to keep that feeling alive by making what friends I could and not long after that, my depression was defeated and kept dormant by the kindness of our community. After being active in  the community for that short amount of time, I got kind of bored of the forum games but wanted to stay happy so I decided I would try to make friends in a RL community, once that was accomplished, I felt a real and constant happiness as opposed to the pony-induced temporary happiness. I am much better off now but that's the reason I get so obsessive with ponies. They always reward me with a special kind of happiness. Then, I'm not sure how related to ponies my using Skype actively is but my reason for using Skype so much is to experience that real happiness that I only discovered because of opening up after finding MLP so in a way it is. And finally, this is where I am now; a happy and very content Brony always looking for more ways to enjoy ponies and make friends.

Thank you, everypony. I love you all! img-1336084-1-biggrin.png

Edited by ZomBrony
  • Brohoof 18

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

I always love reading everypony's story. They're always so amazing. :) Out of curiosity, when did you become a brony?

Love you too by the way! /)

• Brohoof 1

I always love reading everypony's story. They're always so amazing. smile.png Out of curiosity, when did you become a brony?

Love you too by the way! /)

A little before joining the forums. Technically, I was a Brony before I knew what Bronies were because I liked MLP from the first episode. I joined the forum March Sixth of last year so I'd guess I became a Brony some time in January 2012.

Ha. You probably weren't having depression. If you were having depression, MLP: FIM will not in any way make you more happier, it will actually make you much much worse.

So, yeah, stop with that depression crap, you weren't really having depression in the first place. You were probably being self conscious more than actual depression.

ay man, before i joined the fandom i was kinda blah bout things (still kinda am). for most part, i learned some pretty important life lessons from mlp:fim. as far as friends and i even learned some things about myself along the way. it's even helped me get back in touch with my creative side that was lost from a previous relationship that was so horrendously ugly i rather not go into detail. in short, i thought this prolly the coolest thing i may have ever done and frankly, i think i'll be here for the long haul. so hats off to you brah.

• Brohoof 1

Ha. You probably weren't having depression. If you were having depression, MLP: FIM will not in any way make you more happier, it will actually make you much much worse.

So, yeah, stop with that depression crap, you weren't really having depression in the first place. You were probably being self conscious more than actual depression.

My apologies, but I really don't think it's your place to make a call on something like this. You have no basis as to what he actually felt like and have nothing to back up any reason why MLP would make depression worse in any way shape or form. My Little Pony is a very upbeat and happy show and many people can connect with it on a deeper level. Many of my brony friends have said that ponies contributed to their getting over depression, myself included.

Please don't just say things like that, it's negative, unnecessary and just downright rude.

• Brohoof 3

I love hearing these stories, always enjoyable to read for whatever reason, reminds me of the awesome community we have and show aswell :D.

I'm glad to hear your doing better and making friends! I myself still spend a lot of time here actually :P. Even after like 8 months or something. I have a couple decent friends IRL i guess. Not like any BFF's or anything, but eh I guess I'm somewhere in comparison to a while ago.

Maybe I'll find someone to make a true friend eventually :P.

Again, thanks for sharing your story! Happy to hear your doing better!, And hope you continue to be better off!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

My apologies, but I really don't think it's your place to make a call on something like this. You have no basis as to what he actually felt like and have nothing to back up any reason why MLP would make depression worse in any way shape or form. My Little Pony is a very upbeat and happy show and many people can connect with it on a deeper level. Many of my brony friends have said that ponies contributed to their getting over depression, myself included.

Please don't just say things like that, it's negative, unnecessary and just downright rude.

Sorry. But what he said wasn't depression at all. I've seen people with actual depression, and one tried to watch the show, unfortunately, it didn't uplift him but made him worse.

Edited by Lewis the Brony

Sorry. But what he said wasn't depression at all. I've seen people with actual depression, and one tried to watch the show, unfortunately, it didn't uplift him but made him worse.

There are many different forms of depression and not everyone is the same. Just because the show affected one person one way doesn't in anyway mean that everyone will have the same response. 

There are many different forms of depression and not everyone is the same. Just because the show affected one person one way doesn't in anyway mean that everyone will have the same response. 

Alright, I admit I'm wrong. I keep thinking that depression is clinical depression. But the problem is, why is he questioning his existence? At least nothing wrong happened to him? Right?

Continuing more off this conversation, the person's biological stress (genes), mental stress(work), and life stress(tragedy) these are all factors in depression...

Alright, I admit I'm wrong. I keep thinking that depression is clinical depression. But the problem is, why is he questioning his existence? At least nothing wrong happened to him? Right?

I'd imagine he had his reasons. That seems a bit private though, if you ask me. I don't think it's any of our business why he was feeling the way he was.

• Brohoof 2

I do not feel anyone can judge the OP's situation from a few scant sentences..

I suffer from clinical depression but I can still laugh when I hear a joke, I still smile when I escape for a few moments into a compelling story or show.. But I do not judge others by my metre-stick. If a person finds genuine enjoyment or escape in something like MLP, that is not to say they are not depressed.

It is  certainly a much healthier response than cyclic escape systems such as retail therapy (order something online > thrill of waiting for package > receive package > brief uplift > order somethign online). And kudos to the OP for breaking out and enjoying life again.

• Brohoof 1

It's always great hearing stories like this, and I'm glad MLP and its community had such a positive effect on you.

So I guess now you can say you found out friendship is magic wink.png . 

And MLP: Friendship is Magic...is magic.

OK I'll stop now...

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Glad to here a story like this

It always makes my day

I have made some friends on this form (thought I don't talk to them as much. Hmmm need to work on that)

I have made some friends outside the fourms so I have that going for me

Anyways I am glad you are soon better and I wish you the best.

Edited by Phoenix237
  • Brohoof 1

I'm glad to hear MLP has had such an impact on you. To be honest, it never did that for me, it is just a show I happen to enjoy, I never have gotten super into it. I just decided to watch it when I was in bed sick and had nothing better to do, liked it, and now watch it semi-regularly and use this forum. Not much else. I'm boring, I know.

• Brohoof 1

That's an awesome story, thank you for sharing. smile.png I'm glad to hear you feel happier.

What IRL commuities did you seek out? Sorry if I'm being dumb.

I just meant in general; talking to people more in real life, I still talk much more online but I used to be completely anti-social. Now I at least make an effort.

That may be true but I wasn't very detailed about the depression because it was painful for me. No one likes talking about things that hurt them. You have no idea how bad it was. Actually maybe you even do, but if you do, that just makes what you're saying even worse and if you don't you have no right to tell me how I felt, so please, shut up about it.