Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

A Zoo in the My Little Pony universe

tigris115

(edited)

I really love zoos and I love MLP. So then I decided to put the two together and with your help. Now I'm just going to talk about a major zoo in Canterlot. Ponyville doesn't have anything due to being so small and other cities like Manehattan and Phillydelphia will be left out to keep things simple. So here are some basic questions.

What species will they have?

Will the exhibits be bland cages or like more modern facilities?

Will hooved animals be on display?

Will mythical animals such as dragons and cockatrices be on display?

How much history is there in the zoo?

This isn't a roleplay, I just want to discuss this if the show itself doesn't elaborate on it.

If you want to get an idea on what a modern zoo looks like, visit http://www.zoochat.com/

Edited by tigris115

This thread appears to be discussing MLP:FiM in some way, shape or form. Thus, it has been sentenced to Show Discussion.

This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

• Brohoof 1

I don't think they'd have hooved animals. That'd just be morally obese.

Nor would there be dragons. Too messy.

If they were to have a zoo, it'd probably have the standards, but with some more fantastical creatures that don't lean on the evil side.

(edited)

I don't think they'd have hooved animals. That'd just be morally obese.

Nor would there be dragons. Too messy.

If they were to have a zoo, it'd probably have the standards, but with some more fantastical creatures that don't lean on the evil side.

Here's my theory

Zebras and other equines: Out of the question

Rhinos, Tapirs, cloven hoofed animals: Maybe for things like antelope, deer and giraffe because cloven hoofed species are already kept on farms and they've not established how intelligent rhinos and tapirs are.

Dragons: Maybe smaller species

Edited by tigris115
  • Brohoof 1

I really don't think Fluttershy would approve of a zoo. She'd be the one most likely to open up the cages and free the animals. Either her or Pinkie Pie. LOL 

• Brohoof 2

I really don't think Fluttershy would approve of a zoo. She'd be the one most likely to open up the cages and free the animals. Either her or Pinkie Pie. LOL 

Well, it depends on hoe good the zoo is. If the zoo is bad, she'll probably relocate the animals outside of the city to build a new park like in Avatar the Last Airbender.

Well, it depends on hoe good the zoo is. If the zoo is bad, she'll probably relocate the animals outside of the city to build a new park like in Avatar the Last Airbender.

Never saw that. Still, I just don't thinks he'd like the idea of animals being kept in cages, regardless of whether or not the zoo is good or bad, her being a friend to all animals and whatnot. 

Hmm... maybe dragons? No, Spike would be crushed to see his own species in chains. Maybe lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh my, I got some great animals:

1. Hyenas

2. Petting Zoo (bunnies, mice, llamas,)

3. Maybe giraffes?

/)

Humans. They should keep all the show's writers and illustrators in the zoo. But it should be run like a prison.

Periodically, they send in Twilight to read tales of Star Swirl the Bearded to torture them.

(edited)

Hmm... maybe dragons? No, Spike would be crushed to see his own species in chains. Maybe lions, and tigers, and bears! Oh my, I got some great animals:

1. Hyenas

2. Petting Zoo (bunnies, mice, llamas,)

3. Maybe giraffes?

/)

I actually have a theory that Spike as an egg fell out of the nest in a dragon enclosure at the zoo and the keepers decided to hand-rear it. Then the people from the university that Twilight earned her cutie mark at took the egg there for scientific research.

Edited by tigris115
  • Brohoof 1

They would keep humans in the zoo!

I don't think there would be anything to put in the zoo since hoofed animals are seen as those who are "smarter" in FiM. And they can't keep other wild animals from like forests and stuff because well.. I don't know, I just can't see them keeping a bunch of bunnies or something.

Maybe however, there would be some sort of rare animal that doesn't exist for real.

Do you think you guys could come up with exhibits or enclosures that would immerse the ponies into the habitats of the animals like what places such as Congo Gorilla Forest or Jungleworld do here in our world? Here are my examples.

Everfree Forest Trek- This award winning facility features dragons, a pride of manticores, dwarf hydras, cockatrices( with special glass made to prevent ponies from turning into stone), timber wolves, a walkthrough aviary with several species of bird and even fruit bats and phoenixes.

Wild Neighsia- Replicates all parts of neighsa from the teak forests of Indneigha to the humid jungles of Saddlematra. Features tigers, elephants, several species of deer, antelope, birds, monkeys, bears(including the giant panda), rhinos, dholes, orangutans, gibbons, leopards, gaur, banteng, and alot more including several mythical creatures.

Zoo Center- The remains from when this metropolis of wildlife was simply a menagerie of exotics kept by the royal sisters. Similar to the Zoo Center in the Bronx. This building has been repurposed as an education center and tells the complete history of the Zoological Society of Canterlot and has classrooms for internship. Features old cages with no animals that ponies can walk into.

Wilds of Zebrica- Like Wild Neighsa, this complex also covers a whole continent and has zebras who grew up with these animals talking about their lifestyles. Features lions, elephants, giraffes, rhinos, leopards, cheetahs, wild dogs, hyenas, buffalo, hippos, crocodiles, gorillas, chimpanzees, baboons, multiple species of monkeys, antelope and birds and tons more.

• Brohoof 1

Everfree Forest Trek- This award winning facility features dragons, a pride of manticores, dwarf hydras, cockatrices( with special glass made to prevent ponies from turning into stone), timber wolves, a walkthrough aviary with several species of bird and even fruit bats and phoenixes.

Danger, yet fully contained and audience-safe?

I like this idea. But I can already picture Jeff Goldblum saying that he doesn't.

I really love zoos and I love MLP. So then I decided to put the two together and with your help. Now I'm just going to talk about a major zoo in Canterlot. Ponyvilel doesn't have anything due to being so small and other cities like Manehattan and Phillydelphia will be left out to keep things simple. So here are some basic questions.

What species will they have?

Will the exhibits be bland cages or like more modern facilities?

Will hooved animals be on display?

Will mythical animals such as dragons and cockatrices be on display?

How much history is there in the zoo?

This isn't a roleplay, I just want to discuss this if the show itself doesn't elaborate on it.

If you want to get an idea on what a modern zoo looks like, visit http://www.zoochat.com/

good good questing... well think about it fluttershy can talk to animals meaning that they are intelligent so i don't think they would even have a zoo just seems wrong 

good good questing... well think about it fluttershy can talk to animals meaning that they are intelligent so i don't think they would even have a zoo just seems wrong

The thing with that is that the animals are not intelligent. It's just that Fluttershy has Dr. Doolittle Syndrome. So she can talk to animals regardless of intelligence.
  • Brohoof 1

Technically, Fluttershy's abode is already a zoo in itself. I mean, all those animals Rainbow was shown in "May the Best Pet Win!"...

I feel her cottage is more of an animal shelter than a zoo. Like she would take care of the animals ans then rehabilitate and rerelease them into the wild.

I think there would be stuff like cockatrices, and other kinds of mythological creatures once they are not

a pegasus

a unicorn

any pony for that matter

a zebra

a dragon

They might have one of those liondragon hybrids like the one that Fluttershy calmed down in the S1 premiere. Maybe a few cockatrices, and an Ursan Major/Minor? idk

I think there would be stuff like cockatrices, and other kinds of mythological creatures once they are not

a pegasus

a unicorn

any pony for that matter

a zebra

a dragon

They might have one of those liondragon hybrids like the one that Fluttershy calmed down in the S1 premiere. Maybe a few cockatrices, and an Ursan Major/Minor? idk

WIth Dragons, some smaller species may be viable

That liondragon thing was a manticore and would be suited for a good zoo

Ursa Majors are simply too big for any facility.

• Brohoof 1