mega thread Last Movie You Watched?

GrooveBroove

Journey to the Center of the Earth (1959) This is the best of this oft-interpreted Jules Verne classic. It has a solid cast, excellent writing and direction, and still towers above all other film versions I’ve seen, even the decent ones. James Mason takes his role to the next level with his usual charisma in front of the camera, and the supporting cast is well chosen. Great movie. 9/10.

Ghostbusters: Frozen Empire (2024) It was reasonably diverting, in a leave-your-brain-at-the-door kind of way. One thing it had going for it is that it was not another rehash of the same story they’ve been telling over and over since the first movie. At least this time we had a different bad guy. And it was nice having a little more screen time with the original crew from the ‘80s, even though Bill Murray, who will apparently do any movie you offer him, had a comparatively smaller part. McKenna Grace is the real start of these new Ghostbuster movies and she steals every scene she’s in. And while plot has always been secondary to the humor in these movies, we can’t just ignore the plot altogether and fill in the blanks with special effects. As an example, the main baddie in this thing ‘somehow’ gets free of his prison to wreak havoc on the world, but how exactly did he get free? By special effects and confusion, that’s how! Later in the movie, one of the characters even asks the same question, and he gets the reply, “No time to get into that now.” Mmm hmmm, sounds like they borrowed one of those classic “That story is for another time” lines from J. J. Abrams that completely precludes any questions about bad writing long enough for the audience to forget and move on. One can (though shouldn’t) overlook this sort of thing in minor areas, and for major plot points it isn’t acceptable at all. So this one definitely has some ups and downs. And please, will someone get rid of those lame Sta-Puft marshmallow men?? They aren’t funny and don’t fit here anymore. If I want the comic stylings of the Minions, I’ll watch Despicable Me. 5.5/10

Corvette Summer (1978) Fun movie, that’s all. Mark Hamill, fresh out of Star Wars, leads the cast of this flick as a student mechanic spending his summer break looking for a stolen Corvette he built in his shop class. It has a decent cast of characters and situations that keep the movie moving forward without bogging anything down. It had a nice crisp pace and tells its story well. Lots of fun. 8/10

A Quiet Place: Day One (2024) Okay, the first Quiet Place movie had the gimmick of alien attackers that hunted by use of their extremely acute sensitivity to sound. It was an idea worth one movie but the studios decided to cash-in because it was a hit with a good return, so they squeezed a sequel out of it, which was okay. Now, back for more money, they give us an origin story which really doesn’t do anything to enlighten the audience; it’s just another cash grab. The story is essentially non-existent and the characters boring. But I’m sure there will be another installment to follow up on things as they were left at the end of the second episode. If the characters had been even remotely engaging in this movie I could have rolled with it, because I love origin stories, but the girl, despite some potential, didn’t have much to do, and the male lead was such a wuss with perpetual tears in his eyes, following the girl around like a lost puppy, adding nothing to the movie except to show how butch women must be and how wimpy men must be by comparison. Lame. There was so little actual plot that there were tons of filler scenes that went nowhere and slowed down what the characters were attempting to do (which wasn’t much as it is). So, I didn’t care for this movie. 4.5/10

The Lovely Bones (2009) This movie was on one of my streamers so I gave it a shot, and was pleasantly surprised. By ‘pleasant’ I mean it was diverting, but it wasn’t a pleasant movie by any standard because it dealt with the murder of a 14 year old girl by a serial killer. It was unsettling, scary and very tense, but also very engaging. Despite its long running time of 2:15 (typical of director Peter Jackson) it didn’t drag much. I liked almost all the cast and I am a huge fan of Saoirse Ronan (the murdered girl). Stanley Tucci was such a realistic creep in this thing and played his part a little too well. But without going too far into spoilers here I’ll just say I saw only one real (and pointless) misstep as far as giving closure to the case, and that aspect should have been done differently. 7/10

• Brohoof 4
  • Hugs 1

Ninja Scroll and Ghost in the Shell. Been on an anime binge as of late, I guess. :P

• Brohoof 1
  • smile 1
  • Excited 2

At first I rejected the zero, but that was because I simply didn't understand it. Now I do.

City of Ember (2008) This is one of my comfort movies. Somehow the idea of a dystopian existence makes me feel peaceful. And this one has some good characters that are very well cast. I really like Saoirse Ronan and Harry Treadaway in the leads. The movie is we adapted from the book and improves on it in many ways. 8/10

Barbie and the Secret Door (2014) Another great Barbie animated movie. This one has one of the most interesting and original antagonists (I won’t spoil it here, you’ll just have to watch it for yourself) and gives the movie a great sense of humor and style. 9/10 

Universal Soldier (1992) Uhh, yeah. This movie is stupid. Even if you’re into these 80s action movies, this is pretty dumb. But it has some nice explosions if that is enough to satisfy. 4/10

Despicable Me 4 (2024) It was okay, like the other in the series, but to lesser degree. You can tell this is another trip to a rapidly drying up well of inspiration. I like one of the new characters (Poppy), who has a despicable side herself, and adds a most endearing voice characteristic to her character by way of her braces. Fun and a reasonable way to kill some time. 6/10

Far and Away (1992) One of my all-time favorite movies. It follows the characters played by Tom Cruise and Nicole Kidman from 1800s Ireland to Boston, and ultimately the Oklahoma Land Race, with many great turns along the way. I can’t really put into words what makes this movie so great, so I won’t attempt the impossible. All I can say is that it’s one of the few movies I can truly say is perfect from end to end. 12/10.

• Brohoof 3
  • Hugs 1

Godzilla Minus One.

Wow. Excellent movie.

• Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1
  • Hugs 1

img-18807-1-EVnkzff.png

Sig by Wolf, Handwriting by SparklingSwirls

The last movie I watched was Reign Of Fire.

Reign of Fire Movie Poster (#1 of 3) - IMP Awards

• Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1
  • Party! 1

TheRockARooster_SIG_1.png.ba26e8cf0dd0c6bbe959a996859ff0ad.png

sig by @Kyoshi

The last movie I watched was Star Wars : Episode II - Attack Of The Clones.

muLKgI3szszYwXReW1pythJqDtp.jpg

• Brohoof 3
  • Excited 1
  • Party! 1

sig by @Kyoshi

A Quiet Place: Day One - A solid, tense prequel to the first two films. But the formula is definitely starting to get a bit familiar. I hope the third movie is able to keep things fresh. 8.5 out of 10.

Longlegs - Probably the biggest surprise of the year for me. Nicholas Cage delivers an all-time great performance in a tense, unsettling thriller. Only issue is that the slow burn pace sometime works against the movie's favor. 8.5 out of 10.

Twisters - A pretty decent sequel to the 1996 original. It does exactly what it sets out to do as a fun summer blockbuster, but it's elevated by having a cast of likable (and attractive) leads. out of 10.

Deadpool & Wolverine - Messy plotting aside, this is the most fun I've had watching an MCU movie in a long time. Lots of laughs, carnage, and cameos. 8 out of 10.

Alien: Romulus - A mostly decent return to form for the franchise. A few problematic aspects hold it back from being truly great, but it otherwise delivered. 8.5 out of 10.

• Brohoof 3

f.jpg

"Work Hard! In the end, passion and hard work beats out natural talent."
- Pete Docter 

Inside Out 2 (2014) A pleasant surprise. I had heard that this one somehow slipped past the Disney board room and made it into general release without getting ruined by social politics, and it was true. And as such, Disney got the biggest hit it’s had in years, if not the only hit. This movie is so relaxing in that it tells a simple story and doesn’t get overly ambitious by adding meaningless excess. It has a lot of original touches and feels like a step back to Pixar’s glory years when everything they released felt like a major movie event. It was fun, exciting, original and funny, and didn’t overstay its welcome. It could have been stronger in a few areas but I’m not going to expect a miracle from Disney. The fact that it was good at all is pretty impressive. 8/10

Reign of Fire (2002) I’d seen this movie many times in the past and always thought of it as a decent dragon movie, but it has since risen in my estimation considerably. This is a really fun movie with some good pulsing action, some badass dragons, a streamlined plot and a good sense of entertainment fun. Good stuff. 7/10

Twisters (2024) Pretty fun movie. This one actually had a reasonable premise for battling against tornadoes. I'm not a scientist but at least it sounded good. There were a few tweaks needed but overall it was fun to watch. 6.5/10

• Brohoof 1
  • Party! 1
  • Hugs 1

1 minute ago, Dreambiscuit said:

Inside Out 2 (2014) A pleasant surprise. I had heard that this one somehow slipped past the Disney board room and made it into general release without getting ruined by social politics, and it was true. And as such, Disney got the biggest hit it’s had in years, if not the only hit. This movie is so relaxing in that it tells a simple story and doesn’t get overly ambitious by adding meaningless excess. It has a lot of original touches and feels like a step back to Pixar’s glory years when everything they released felt like a major movie event. It was fun, exciting, original and funny, and didn’t overstay its welcome. It could have been stronger in a few areas but I’m not going to expect a miracle from Disney. The fact that it was good at all is pretty impressive. 8/10

Reign of Fire (2002) I’d seen this movie many times in the past and always thought of it as a decent dragon movie, but it has since risen in my estimation considerably. This is a really fun movie with some good pulsing action, some badass dragons, a streamlined plot and a good sense of entertainment fun. Good stuff. 7/10

Twisters (2024) Pretty fun movie. This one actually had a reasonable premise for battling against tornadoes. I'm not a scientist but at least it sounded good. There were a few tweaks needed but overall it was fun to watch. 6.5/10

I'm glad you like Reign Of Fire, Dreamy. :rarity:

• Brohoof 1
  • Thanks 1

sig by @Kyoshi

The last movie I watched was Godzilla : Invasion Of Astro Monster.

Invasion of Astro Monster 1965 Japanese Movie Premium POSTER MADE IN USA- MCP294 - Picture 1 of 6

• Brohoof 4

sig by @Kyoshi

Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) A very fun movie for all those who dream about taking a day off from the grind of the day-to-day world. I’ve had such dreams many times, hence my interest in the movie. It moves along pretty well, only failing when it gets too bogged down with depressing daddy issues. They can keep that storyline if they want, but it should be trimmed down so as not to ruin the fun spontaneity of the rest of the movie. 7/10

Tomorrowland (2015) This is one of my comfort movies and I’m always in the mood to watch it. It makes a very clear point about why the world is in such a stagnant state, but offers a cool plot point as an unexpected reason for it. Okay, the movie has at least two solid plot holes which could be addressed with the tweaking of just one or two lines of dialog, but I can (grudgingly) let that go because everything else in the movie is so awesome. It’s entertaining, escapist and makes some good points. 9/10

Furiosa: A Mad Max Saga (2024) Mad Max movies are what they are; a lot of car chases and battles and explosions and stuff. As dystopian movie series go they’re okay but have never really gotten me excited much. But I have to admit, this one worked for me. It actually had a lot of pulse, well-directed action (thanks to a veteran director who knows old movie craft), and the special ingredient that really put it over the top; the character of Furiosa herself. (SPOILERS AHEAD) When the movie started off with child characters I was immediately interested because that’s not something I expect from a Mad Max movie, unless it’s some anonymous peripheral kid wearing armor made of an old radiator and armed with a chainsaw or something like that. This child had a story and a purpose and I liked that. There were some plot discrepancies at the outset like her pointlessly cutting marauders’ fuel lines (which only prevents them from leaving and defusing their threat) and the fact that the cut fuel line never stopped any of them once they captured her and rode off. But I can overlook that because I was hooked into it already. Her development over the remainder of the movie remains interesting although I can’t help wonder how cool it would have been if she’d have remained a child throughout the movie, kicking ass and blowing stuff up as a half-pint. That would be so enchanting and absolutely unique to the franchise. The character of Praetorian Jack was another excellent character with some realism and texture, but was arbitrarily disposed of, doing no favors to the movie. One plot point that I was certain would play into the story was the well-established star map Furiosa had scrawled on her arm, which would lead directly to her much coveted ‘land of abundance.’ Once that arm came off and was left behind with the marauders I was sure they’d use it to find Furiosa’s home but that story point was simply dropped. Finally, I just have to say, if you’re going to have even so much as a cameo of the real Mad Max, even from a distance, make it count. Mel Gibson will take just about any role offered to him so why not get him onboard for a quick (or not so quick) appearance and put this movie over the top? Okay, enough yammering. I liked this movie, quite a bit, surprisingly, which is why the plot is racing through my mind so much. 7.5/10

Trap (2024) M. Night Shyamalan’s latest. (Spoilers ahead) Centered around a serial killer cornered at a concert with his daughter and his attempts to escape the encroaching police. His moves are pretty clever but some of the strategies he comes up with seem to come and go unused. No biggie. I liked the movie but it dragged a bit toward the last third of the film. It seemed to be one ‘escape, get cornered, escape again, get cornered, repeat’ situation that should have been streamlined a bit. The whole time he’s at the concert with his girl I just wanted him to let her have her special day. She was so adorable and so happy I just wanted him to give himself up afterward and let her be happy, no matter what it cost. As it is (SPOILERS) the end didn’t have the typical M. Night Shyamalan twist. Things just continued along without closure. There were some possibilities with this movie but it only ran with some of them, leaving others unrealized. 6.5/10

• Brohoof 2
  • Hugs 1

Alien (1979). I've seen the tropes before, but decided to watch it as the newest movie came out (despite me not watching it anytime soon lol).

This is one of those movies where you don't see the creature for very much of the movie (similar to Godzilla -1), and it's also one of those movies where they do well with it, creating the fear, making us like the characters so we feel like we have some stake in the game, putting us in the movie as well.... and thus making the creature terrifying.

Love the cat :yay: . Jonesy...

• Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1

img-18807-1-EVnkzff.png

Sig by Wolf, Handwriting by SparklingSwirls

Alien: Romulus

Now the standard Drone Alien looks adorable... It was a good movie although that movie doesn't bring anything new. I wish this series get's revitalized. 

It was a good movie, but in certain parts I had to close my eyes... Very Scary.

• Brohoof 2

On 2024-09-02 at 2:29 PM, Arrlong28 said:

Alien: Romulus

Now the standard Drone Alien looks adorable... It was a good movie although that movie doesn't bring anything new. I wish this series get's revitalized. 

It was a good movie, but in certain parts I had to close my eyes... Very Scary.

I enjoyed it but there's only so many things they can do with xenomorphs. They show up, they try to kill or infect everybody, they get beaten.

I'd really like them to do more with the predator franchise. Let's make the yautja real characters and learn something about their culture. Have some make an aliliance with humans.

• Brohoof 1

I almost forgout about it! Happy 10th Anniversary to Transformers Age of Extinction! Just watched it and continues being one of my favorite movies! :eager:

Anyone remember this scene? :ButtercupLaugh:

Rainbow_Dash_Age_of_Extinction.thumb.jpg.4fe11ecffe47061ec5b1a43ebc924a85.jpg

• Brohoof 1
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • Excited 1

"Stand quiet like the Sky, and Move faster than Lightning"

Follower of the ultimate power, spirit, divine dreams and wishes of the Heavenly Angels of Stars (Starys), Husband of Mary Stary, Angel of Power and Spirit.

Dragon Ball fan since 2009, Hyped for Dragon Ball 40th Anniversary 2024, Daima, New Manga Saga & Sparking ZERO! :eager: / Making Arts for Free! :o

1112SemTtulo_20240820084933.jpg.3a7eb511f8fa06ea9a0cf4e6ad3f6849.jpg

On 2024-09-02 at 11:16 AM, DubWolf said:

Alien (1979). I've seen the tropes before, but decided to watch it as the newest movie came out (despite me not watching it anytime soon lol).

This is one of those movies where you don't see the creature for very much of the movie (similar to Godzilla -1), and it's also one of those movies where they do well with it, creating the fear, making us like the characters so we feel like we have some stake in the game, putting us in the movie as well.... and thus making the creature terrifying.

Love the cat :yay: . Jonesy...

Excellent movie! Have you seen the extended version? Usually extended cuts or director's cuts run hot and cold, but the extended Alien is very creepy and it adds some edginess to some of the scenes we already know and love. 

As for me, the latest batch:

Saturday Night Fever (1977) Surprisingly I had never managed to catch up with this movie. And now that I have, I wish I’d never wasted my time. This movie was so popular among adults and kids back when it was released (I later realized it had been re-edited from its R-rated original version to a PG version to accommodate a wider audience). The thing that baffles me is how they managed to keep five minutes of usable footage after cutting all the garbage out of this thing. It was disgusting. The characters had no interest in each other; only themselves, yet insisted on imposing their lives on others. So there’s no one to care about or root for. John Travolta, while he may be able to dance, looked like an absolute ass the way he went about swiveling his hips like a sleazy showgirl. Guys shouldn’t move like that; it just makes them look absurd. And all this led up to the big disco competition, at which time we’re supposed to get all excited for our *ahem* beloved characters. By this time, we’ve already seen them practicing their moves throughout the movie and should be expecting an expansion on the stuff we’ve already seen. But no, they just did the same unremarkable moves yet again. And incidentally, Travolta and his loveless counterpart did the worst dancing of all. So I see absolutely no reason why this mess was a hit, as the R-rated original or its PG re-release. It was worthless. 2/10

Arthur (1981) It was okay. Very much a product of its time, and that’s what drew my interest. Dudley Moore was indeed a lovable drunk (very convincingly played, not that our beloved leprechaun would ever imbibe for real. LOL). His long-suffering manservant played by Sir John Gielgud was delightfully dry and witty when the screen writers played to his personality. I never really cared for Liza Minnelli, but she and Dudley seemed to have a certain chemistry. The humor was pretty sharp and it didn’t get too bogged down at any point. 6/10

A Walk in the Woods (2015) Based on the book by Bill Bryson, my favorite travel writer/humorist, this movie chronicles his attempt to walk the Appalachian Trail with his longtime friend. While the book is better than the movie, thanks to Bryson’s exceptional wit, the movie is relaxing, funny and easy on the eyes. 6.5/10 

Seabiscuit (2003) A solid movie based on the true events of an unlikely underdog of a horse who managed to rise to the top of the sport of horseracing. During the Depression he managed to capture the imagination of millions of people who were similarly struggling to climb back out from under their difficulties. The movie is well-made and well-cast, with Jeff Bridges as the charismatic owner of the Seabiscuit, and Tobey Maguire as Red Pollard, the beaten-but-not-down jockey who rode Seabiscuit to fame. All the characters come from some sort of broken background and still rose to the top, which is inspiring and presented in a way that doesn’t dwell too long on the mishaps and tragedies, but keeps the focus on the phenomenon of the unlikely champion equine. 7.5/10

• Brohoof 3
  • Hugs 1