Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Society and looks.

CastletonSnob

In some cases, society at most points care about and think that personality and intelligence are the most important things these days. The truth is they both matter but, people don't care about them at all. I know that appearances matter too but, some people think that appearances matter more then your intelligence and the thing that makes the person that you are: your personality. Our society keeps changing on what is needed and what is not needed. Whether we like it or not, society will keep changing.

Why are we, as a society, so caught up on appearances? Don't get me wrong, being attractive does matter some. But, what about personality or intelligence?[/size]

Well of course that mattes, to be honest ( as selfish as that sounds) I just always wanted to look good because I wanted to be more liked...

These past few weeks of me watching the show I have been actively trying to disprove the " all bronies are fat perves who live in their moms basement" ridiculously misinformed stereotype that surrounds the haters of the Internet.

I developed a quick n easy method of shaving off lb's and gaining muscle if you think your spending to much time on the comp.

And that really does suck how society is programmed like that :( I think it's most important to know who you are... Don't get crafted by other people's judgments and threats...

Your manliness destroyed in...

1 ( jk Of course, real men aren't as insecure as some of the haters out there frightened of even giving mlp a chance :) )

post-14701-0-37801800-1367286044.jpg

• Brohoof 2

I think society's fixation with appearance might be a leftover of our caveman days. In those purely physical days, appearance determined everything: your health, your ability to fight and hunt, your ability to bear children, etc. We are by nature programmed to judge a book by it's cover. 

Even in civilized days where life is also emotional, mental, and spiritual, we still often struggle past those instincts.

• Brohoof 2

I ask this because I'm 5'3, and I'm 20, so I won't grow anymore. The average height for a woman is 5'4-5'6, so I'm fucked.Even short girls want tall guys.

Although I'm 6'1 one of my best friends is actually around your height, he's a great dude, but what's most impressive is he's engaged to an absolute doll of a ( soon to be) wife. Although it surprises many from afar, but not us, we know exactly how he got her.

It doesn't matter how tall, strong, or agile you are, I find the best and most constantly enjoyable way to get a girl you like is just by entertaining her throughout the evening, I love making people laugh.

So in all honest, it's still personality, looks may look good for afar and may attract people, but personality is the glue that makes them stick!

post-14701-0-46251500-1367287337_thumb.jpg

Women like tall guys because he can protect her/their children from harm.

No girl wants to date a manlet like me, because our children will be short.

if it's any consolation, I'm really small to 5ft something, and I've seen plenty of tall people wanna be with short guys, and anyway whose to say the kids would be small if there's tall from the mothers side in the genes?

To me, there's a difference between taking care of yourself and being born to look a certain way. Physical appearance does matter alot in the real world. People are going to judge you subconsciously regardless of what you do to make yourself look a certain way. However, there are things one can do to make themselves appear differently in society depending on how they look. Some people are simply born better looking than others. There's now way around that. It's different, though, when someone neglects themselves physically. A person with unwashed ruffled hair, ripped clothes, stink lines rising above them, and dirty hands is going to be judged, and rightfully so. It says alot about their character and how much they care about themselves.

Edited by Twiliscael

I dunno, I honestly think looks aren't that important, but being a pretty ugly person I think may make me a bit biased.

Then again I also think looks are kinda depending on what you like, and therefore to say anyone can judge your looks as good or bad is kinda dumb. But I guess that me thinking of myself as ugly and having that belief makes me somewhat of a hypocrit :P.

We just live in a society where consuming and getting the latest fashion and stuff and looking your best and trying to be perfect is popular I guess.

Edited by Zygen

Women like tall guys because he can protect her/their children from harm.

No girl wants to date a manlet like me, because our children will be short.

Why would you think that, sir? It may be true that a preference for tall men is common among women, but then again, a preference for supermodel-esque bodies is very common among men...and how often do most normal guys get landed with total knock-outs? Not very often, I'll tell you that much!

The point is, there will always be someone out there who will see the *real* you behind the you they see on the outside. Appearance does matter some, but only in certain ways; really, if you constantly go out in public looking like you've just rolled out of bed, most women will take that as a sign of self-neglect, which isn't an attractive personality trait. So really, even though it seems to be an appearance thing at first, it becomes correlated with personality in the end. (Besides, if you don't care enough to at least shave and put on a clean shirt before you go somewhere, then it probably is true that you just don't care...so spiffy up, gentlecolts!)

You can even take me as an example. I've always thought I was ugly as sin itself, but within the past year I've been making the effort to keep myself presentable in public, as well as having taken an interest in improving my overall health by going to the gym. I still may not be the prettiest thing on the planet, but I've been told by numerous friends that I... "clean up well," so to speak. This in mind, the only reason *I* don't have a girlfriend is because I'm positively pitiful at reading women's body language. I've had friends tell me at social gatherings, "Dude, that cute girl was totally checking you out," to which I'd reply, "Huh? What girl?" See the problem? The problem is my lack of attention to my surroundings, not my appearance.

TL;DR - Just keep up your hygiene and most importantly, open your eyes. Interested girls are everywhere, you just have to learn how to spot when you're being...well, spotted. Just like I clearly need to learn. happy.png

I also wanted to prove that bronies arent fat nerds or something. So I'm losing more weight, getting more buffed and growing out my hair. My end product is to look like pone punk/skater/cool person who thinks My Little Pony is a gift from above :3

I think society's fixation with appearance might be a leftover of our caveman days. In those purely physical days, appearance determined everything: your health, your ability to fight and hunt, your ability to bear children, etc. We are by nature programmed to judge a book by it's cover. 

Even in civilized days where life is also emotional, mental, and spiritual, we still often struggle past those instincts.

I think it's still useful to some extent.  If we see a guy dressed in a nice suit, we're probably going to assume he's some kind of professional, maybe a lawyer or businessman.  If we see a guy dressed like a bum, we're probably going to assume that, well, he's a bum.  It's a reflection of the kind of message that you want to send about yourself to the world. 

Keep in mind I'm talking less about societal standards of "attractiveness" and more about overall presentability and the reality of the world today.  Let's face it, it's probably not a good idea to walk into a job interview for Goldman Sachs wearing pajama pants and a pair of flip flops.  Speaking purely in terms of *attractiveness* I agree it's based on outdated instincts. 

But, there's almost no chance I'll grow anymore.

I might as well kill myself, because I'll never get married or have children. My life sucks.

Don't even think about saying that.  My dad's 5'1" and he's been married for over 40 years now. 

It sounds cheesy as hell, but there's *always* someone out there for you.

But I'm worried I'll be seen as unmanly, because men are SUPPOSED to be taller than women. 

Also, there's still no chance that I'll get any taller, and I'm worried a girl will flat-out reject me because I'm short.

I ask this because I'm 5'3, and I'm 20, so I won't grow anymore. The average height for a woman is 5'4-5'6, so I'm fucked.Even short girls want tall guys.

Let me tell you about one of my friend's on campus. He's about your height, but women find him extremely attractive. Why? Because he is confident and walks the walk and talks the talk with the most absolute swagger you could imagine (good, old school swagger, not new douchy swagger). Confidence is key above all else.

I also wanted to prove that bronies arent fat nerds or something. So I'm losing more weight, getting more buffed and growing out my hair. My end product is to look like pone punk/skater/cool person who thinks My Little Pony is a gift from above :3

Are you me? LOL. On top of finally being tired of being fat, that's one of the big motivators of my weight loss, to prove the haters wrong. I'm losing weight and lifting, too, but I think I'm going to keep my hair kinda short and go for the kind of the Mark Wahlberg look.

Edited by AtomicBassCannon

Appearances are deceiving, but most people judge a person based on first glances. Is not very fair, no.

I'm 6 feet seven inches (For you darn Americans :P ) I have a large beard, and a shaved head. I have multiple tattoos and scars. I'm rather muscular too. Most people find me terrifying. I've heard people whisper about me. I'm probably a criminal or something like that. The thick accent not help me very much either. My English pronunciation is also really bad. It not help me...

You just have to learn to accept it I guess. Or at the very least, ignore this. Can't get caught up in people's negative opinions. I always wonder why my wife loved me. Since I was incredibly taller than her. Back then I had a smaller beard and hair on my head though too. Need to learn to move past looks, and look at the personality of a person instead.

• Brohoof 2

Appearance is what attracts people at first, but personality is what makes people stay.  I think personality is what would win in the end too, or at least it should.  

In one of my classes, this thing called average good looks was discussed.  Basically, it means someone who is attractive but not too attractive will have better luck meeting people.  My teacher said he had a friend who looked like a model, but didn't get many meaningful relationships because women thought he looked too good and was more likely to cheat.  A woman also put a cigarette out on his friends face and told him he was too pretty.  So we're supposed to look good, but not too good.  What exactly does society want?

Don't worry too much about appearance.  It's not the be all end all, and sometimes the "beautiful people" in reality are not as happy as we think they should be.  

I for one am not one who is so shallow and who likes people only for their outward appearance. To me, the most important aspect of a person, is their inward appearance (or their personality). In other words, how the think, feel, act and behave. If they are someone who is not quick to judge, easy going, not full on or extreme, fun to be with/around, funny, and just has a nice personality in general, then I could see myself being their friend, but if they are the complete opposite then i would stay a fair distance away from them. Yes, I do admit the outward appearance does help a little, like if they look nice on the outside, as well as having a really nice personality, then that is a bonus, I am not one to judge on outward appearance (unless the person actually makes a statement with how they look (i.e covered in tattoss, multiple face piercings, "punk" hair "styles", torn clothes, not wearing much etc...) then I try to keep my distance... but other than that, for me it's the inward "appearance" that counts, as well I'd like to say this, in most cases "the outward appearance can be deceiving, a person who looks really nice, can have a really, really nasty/closed off/obnoxious personality"

EDIT: The reason I personally try not to judge others by their outward appearance is 1) I know that I am ugly and 2) I myself have been judged on my ugliness alone, I know how it feels

Edited by Somer FireMane

(edited)

This wouldn't even be a big problem if there were a chance I could grow some more.

I'm worried I'll be seen as unmanly, because guys are supposed to be taller than women.

I'll never be an alpha male because I'm short.

Edited by VG_Addict

Let me tell you about one of my friend's on campus. He's about your height, but women find him extremely attractive. Why? Because he is confident and walks the walk and talks the talk with the most absolute swagger you could imagine (good, old school swagger, not new douchy swagger). Confidence is key above all else.

Are you me? LOL. On top of finally being tired of being fat, that's one of the big motivators of my weight loss, to prove the haters wrong. I'm losing weight and lifting, too, but I think I'm going to keep my hair kinda short and go for the kind of the Mark Wahlberg look.

And that's where we seperate my good friend. I'm planning to grow it out, because I believe I'd look amazing with longish hair and a beanie or any other hat. My style's been changing too, not to further prove my point. Before I always wore black or something that had to do with a band. Now I'm wearing TV show shirts, band shirts, and skater attire(brands like Vans, Zoo York, etc.). Btw I'm not really fat, I'm chubby. But I wanna turn that into muscle. I swear, I might look like an a-hole in 2-3 months. But I'll also be more open abiut MLP, so that mixed with a slight buffness=intimidation so no one messes with bronies

And that's where we seperate my good friend. I'm planning to grow it out, because I believe I'd look amazing with longish hair and a beanie or any other hat. My style's been changing too, not to further prove my point. Before I always wore black or something that had to do with a band. Now I'm wearing TV show shirts, band shirts, and skater attire(brands like Vans, Zoo York, etc.). Btw I'm not really fat, I'm chubby. But I wanna turn that into muscle. I swear, I might look like an a-hole in 2-3 months. But I'll also be more open abiut MLP, so that mixed with a slight buffness=intimidation so no one messes with bronies

That sounds pretty cool. 

Do you know who JaxBlade is? He's the perfect example of a brony that no one would want to mess with. He even inspired someone on another forum to get in shape.

Is it really that bad to be concerned with looks on an aesthetic basis? It's really just another form of art, except that your medium is yourself. I like it when I look pretty. I like it when others look pretty. Is that really too wrong?

When I look in the mirror, I might shift my hair around so that it balances with my head in a more pleasing manner. When I decide what I'm going to wear, I want it to work well together. It's one of the little pleasures of life. 

• Brohoof 1

I think its natural to be attracted to someone who is handsome, beautiful, whatever. It's a part of being human to have a desire to be attractive; it fills you up with confidence. There's also a desire to be with an attractive person. That being said, I think everyone is attractive in their own way. The difference for "attractive people" is that their beauty shines on the outside. Other people's beauty may shine in the brain, out on the field, on the computer, etc.

• Brohoof 1

Because media.

Media portrays the 'perfect', or the 'most desirable' individuals, as thin, curvaceous bombshells, or finely sculpted Greek gods. Since most people spend a huge amount of time sifting through pop culture such as movies, music videos and even magazines, the impression they get is 'looking good = success' or something like that.

Some people aren't this ignorant, and don't consider image to be super important, and these people are considered 'unkempt' or 'filthy' for silly reasons. Image is only important because society makes it important, when is reality is should have less influence when being interviewed for a job, attracting the opposite sex, and being successful in general.

Unfortunately, the sad truth is that society has made image obscenely important.

The modern Zeitgeist is pathetic, this is a fact.