Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

music Folk Music

Treble Bolt

(edited)

Okay, so I happened to see a topic about who listens to 80's music, and that got me thinking...People still listen to 80's music, and oldies, and really any music that was at one time "mainstream". 

But folk music is one of those things that aren't mainstream and can be very strange.  I mainly listen to pony inspired music and folk music. 

Not just any simple folk music either, oh no, I listen to the weirdest stuff there is, and the most uncommon. Here's a video of oddest music listen to. It's a band called Huun Huur Tu.  I even saw them in concert with my then best  friend, now husband biggrin.pngwub.png

I also listen to Le Vent Du Nord, Faun, and Gjallahorn just to name a few.

Most of my music comes from compilation CD's, such as Nordic Roots 1,2, and 3

I also listen listen to more mainstream folk, such as Mumford and Sons and Eluvietie

Currently my favorite folk band is Le Vent Du Nord...I now own all of their cd's and often am caught listening to them....

I have to ask, is there anyone else out in the brony community like me in music tastes?  I am very curious to find out since there are bronies from all over the world and not just in the USA.  I know where I live, my music taste is so unique that I can't really talk about music to my friends, becuase I don't ever listen to what you hear on the radio (except for NPR which plays classical and instrumental).

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

Yeah, I love folk music as well. Both the folk music you described and also folk metal. It's a cool genre, in my opinion.

Flogging Molly - Requiem For A Dying Song

(edited)

Eluveitie is about the only folk metal I listen to. Sometimes I listen to Korpiklaani, but it's really only their Vodka song that I like laugh.png

I have all of Eluveitie's cd's as well. I am not too into the their newest one (Helvetios), but I like all their other ones. 

I don't really look into American folk rock bands...but I should really check out floggin molly, that song you posted wasn't bad :)

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

Folk music is just about all I listen to XD

Most of it is from WAY back, as in the American Civil War or before. The 2nd South Carolina String Band makes pretty good music, both vocal and instrumental (IMO)

• Brohoof 3

I don't listen to much true folk music, to be honest. It seems pretty cool, though I just haven't really looked into it. However, I do like folk metal quite a bit. Eluveitie is probably the most popular of this genre. I like it, it's like melodeath with folk instruments added in there.

• Brohoof 2

• 3 months later...

URRRRGH YES! A folk music thread! I have some things to share, I do indeed!

Dustin Kensrue:

Legit folk/country/blues music. Fun fact: This guy also sings in a post-hardcore band.

Jonathan Coulton:

Everyone knows this dude. The funny folk dude who made "Code Monkey". :D

The River Empires:

http://theriverempires.bandcamp.com/track/a-dimmer-lux

It's more bluegrass than folk, but those two genres are so close in similarity that it really doesn't matter.

There. This thread has been bumped. :)

A lot people in the states don't know who Stan Rogers is...in my eyes, he's the Johnny Cash of Canada.  I love his music (especially the Idiot, and Barrett's Privateers). 

I also like Dick Nolan
This song is so funny :D
 Aunt Martha's Sheep

idk...bluegrass and folk music seem awful different.  There is definitely a folk element to bluegrass, but like saying country is folk because of Johnny Cash, and we all know it's not. Some bluegrass can not even be close to being called folk (look at Allison Krause, her music is wonderful country/gospel bluegrass but its definitely not folk.) Folk metal has its place to some degree as well, but it shouldn't be the first thing everyone thinks of with folk music. 

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 1

• 6 months later...

I don't really listen to Folk music, myself, but the only one that I felt was good for me was - Horse with no name by America, if im not mistaken.

Lately I've been getting into Folk music. In my teens I grew up mostly loving soft rock of the 70s (that is, mostly acoustic, like Folk), and that included Jim Croce which sometimes gets called Folk. I don't know if he really was, but that was perhaps my first real taste. However, lately I have been actively seeking out music from the genre.

Several months back I found this, and I love it! I suppose it's not, by any means, standard folk. It's medieval-based folk. Complete with medieval instruments (although the bassoon is not a medieval instrument, they had instruments that sounded like it back then). I think it's one of the most beautiful things I have ever heard, and I even love the intro (but I do love wind instruments, so, yeah... xD).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=69wZpcPtMIo

And then there's some pretty country-slanted folk by John Denver:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=maqNGA6axc8

Of course, I like plenty of plain folk, but I'm sure plenty of that will be posted, so I posted these instead.

I really have come to like the genre, though. It's a very pretty type of music, and fun to listen to.

• Brohoof 1

By far has to be one of the more successful folk musicians to come from Latin America in the past decade or so, Lila Downs. Amazingly talented; it's just a bit sad that she doesn't receive more recognition in Mexico.

Llorando se fue, perhaps you'll recognize this one? y'know, on account of how many times it's been covered by artist from other music genres since the 80's.

http://youtu.be/mT4T5GyGqRQ

In retrospect, we could all use a bit more of folk music.

The best part about threads like these is that you are able to find out new bands you never heard of.

Thanks for the 2nd South Carolina, it's my husband's new favorite band :D

Seriously, all the music from this thread is going on my Mp3 player :catface:

:yay:

So.. music with no known composer? Is it kinda like old, folklore music?

Kinda like this? Or am I off..

• 2 weeks later...

This topic shall not die quite yet!

Because I have some more English Folk to post!

This one's also kind-of medieval based. The music is beautiful (IMO), but the story it tells is quite disturbing... For me, anyway. Considering what kind of things people find entertaining, I'm sure those disturbing bits of this story won't even phase y'all at all. =P

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P3S2brPXjEM

Now this one might be a bit harder to get into, because it's polyphonic at times, but I find it pretty.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eejS-nVrmks

Psychedelic/indie folk FTW

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkE00aQk2hY

Neutral Milk Hotel is considered an indie Rock band. but that is quite a nice song, and the band's name really makes me wonder :P

@Envy A lot of Folk Music involves dark stories.  There's one song I really like (can't remember band or name, haven't heard it in a while) that is about 2 sisters who like the same guy. One of the sisters get really jealous and kills her sister....

I listen to a ton of Dubliners and Clancy Brothers, but if I want something more current I'll listen to some Irish punk from Dropkick Murphys

Edited by HeroSparks

Neutral Milk Hotel is considered an indie Rock band. but that is quite a nice song, and the band's name really makes me wonder :P

@Envy A lot of Folk Music involves dark stories.  There's one song I really like (can't remember band or name, haven't heard it in a while) that is about 2 sisters who like the same guy. One of the sisters get really jealous and kills her sister....

That's funny because that's exactly what the song I posted is about. xD

• Brohoof 1

I LOVE FOLK MUSIC! I listen to folk music from the Balkans, Serbian and Gypsy most usually.

Here is the kolo, this one is Moravac, comes from the area around river Morava.

This one is a Serbian from Kosovo, Klezmer style.

http://youtu.be/Xwht_p5WcmE

This one is a Black Mountain folk march, usually played with gusle, but this is a newer version. Patriotic.

Here is another Serbian song from Kosovo, highly patriotic, the lyrics are newer (1800s) but the melody is old and comes from Kosovo or Old Serbia (Macedonia today).

And @, the Union is overrated ;)

Edited by Comrade Serbon