Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why are the EG haters being oppressed

TheMarkz0ne

I will be making another video tonight after work. A follow up to my trailer reaction. I'm surprised I got so many views considering I have no subs. This time I will be more calm and rational instead of being over the top.

(edited)

H

Man.  Just went through the thread again...  People are really hating on TheMarkZ0ne for stating his opinion.  img-1464184-1-sad.png

What happened to accepting peoples views?

It has nothing to do with that, we're scolding him for being a ass about voicing it. If you read the pic he posted in the OP he down-right tried to shove it down that guys throat when he told him several times he didn't want to discuss it. 

Also, he removed the pic. 

Edited by Shoboni
  • Brohoof 1

because all signs point to it destroying the positive messages upon which FiM was created

Mane 6 have fancy hair and wear skirts all the time (trailer shows RD playing soccer in a skirt) which is exactly the kind of stereotype Faust didn't want when she created the characters

not to mention that the plot revolves a prom (or cheap prom substitute), and probably includes a boyfriend for Twilight

that's the main problem for me, it doesn't matter if it's funny, or how well it's made, it's removing everything about FiM that made it unique, good, and enjoyable to all demographics.

that's why no matter how much effort the talented writers, animators, and cast put into this movie, it's still fundamentally flawed.

it's still not FiM

• Brohoof 2

It has nothing to do with that, we're scolding him for being a ass about voicing it. If you read the pic he posted in the OP he down-right tried to shove it down that guys throat when he told him several times he didn't want to discuss it. 

Also, he removed the pic. 

Can't agree/disagree with you until I see the pic again.  I could have sworn skimming through it the first time that he was just trying to start a conversation with the guy (weather it be more of an "this is urgent, we need to talk about this" or just a casual "lets chat" thing) but he didn't mean to implement any bad feelings.

If person A thinks something Is crucially important and person B doesn't want to talk about it, it doesn't make person A an ass for trying to get person B to talk about it.

because all signs point to it destroying the positive messages upon which FiM was created

Mane 6 have fancy hair and wear skirts all the time (trailer shows RD playing soccer in a skirt) which is exactly the kind of stereotype Faust didn't want when she created the characters

not to mention that the plot revolves a prom (or cheap prom substitute), and probably includes a boyfriend for Twilight

that's the main problem for me, it doesn't matter if it's funny, or how well it's made, it's removing everything about FiM that made it unique, good, and enjoyable to all demographics.

that's why no matter how much effort the talented writers, animators, and cast put into this movie, it's still fundamentally flawed.

it's still not FiM

Relating to the topic, this pretty much sums up all of my opinions about EG as well.

Can't agree/disagree with you until I see the pic again.  I could have sworn skimming through it the first time that he was just trying to start a conversation with the guy (weather it be more of an "this is urgent, we need to talk about this" or just a casual "lets chat" thing) but he didn't mean to implement any bad feelings.

Yeah, the guy was begging him to stop talking about it and he just kept going and going instead of dropping it and changing the subject. I wish someone would've reported the pic before he removed it, he was being pretty jerkish about it. 

Time to add in my two bits, grubby though they are:

1)  Equestria Girls Haters Are NOT Being Oppressed. There is an overwhelming negativity towards this show that is really quite astonishing. Therefore, some of us feel  the need to back up and go, “Hang on...hasn’t this thing not been released yet?” Which is hasn’t. We get upset that a fandom that’s supposed to “love and tolerate” is suddenly going hog wild and screaming bloody murder about something that will not affect what they know and love. Most of the EQ defenders are Twilicorn defenders too, we’re willing to give the show a chance. To be so upset and crazy about the movie (I’m only seeing a couple of you on the forums, they’re mostly online though) is saying that you don’t trust the show. You don’t trust Hasbro to make a good movie. I think we get upset because getting so upset over EQ and Twilicorn is the same as saying you have no faith in the show or the minds behind it.

Blindly saying that it’s going to be donkey spit is the same thing as blindly saying it’s going to be the next Shawshank Redemption. Nobody has any evidence that it’s going to be bad, other than personal feelings and bad character designs. Just the same as no positive evidence besides personal feelings and solid trust in the background team (Meghan Mcarthy, etc.) I personally am rather excited for this (and no, John, I’m not dim-wittedly optimistic like you suggested). I’m excited to see what they do with this spinoff. I am the type of person who gets excited about possibilities. For instance, I went crazy when I heard there was a possibility of an Incredibles 2. Just the same as I’m excited about the possibility of a new direction.

2) We Are Not The Target Demographic. I think some bronies forget this! We’re not the intended audience! This whole cultural phenomenon exploded overnight. It was not supposed to happen, it was completely unplanned for. It busted every target chart the producers had planned for the show. The intended audience was little girls. Young girls, still in middle school. The same demographic who made Justin Beiber, Twilight, and High School Musical huge smash hits. So therefore, logically, it would make sense to reshoot something. They missed the mark when they started MLP, and instead of affecting little girls, it affected big, grown, strapping men. So they’ll try again, this time with a movie that parents can take their children to.

At the same time, they know we make up the majority of the fanbase. They’re making a corporate move here – they’re going to try and please everyone. Make sure you please the little girls: Okay, put it in highschool! Make sure you please the bronies: Okay, give them a good storyline and the characters they still know and love! Make sure you please the parents: Okay, make sure there’s nothing dark or scary in it! This is an extremely difficult thing to pull off, but I think they can do it. They’re not going to scare off their huge fanbase by doing something extremely silly, they’re just trying to please everyone. Remember, they’re a company. Their main objective is to make money. They’ve made millions off of us bronies, and they love it! They’re not going to risk that by shoveling out some rubbish and slapping it in theaters.

So finally, just have a little faith, guys. Relax, unclench your teeth, and take a deep breath. They won’t let us down.

• Brohoof 3

Just had a discussion about this with someone.  It's looking like an 'agree to disagree' situation.

tldr of everything either side has to say about it:

• Brohoof 3

Point of order: Equestria Girls was not supposed to be marketed to little girls, so using that as a debating point is invalid. Equestria Girls is specifically made and marketed for the teen girl demographic, not the young girl market. The main MLP series is for little girls, but this spin-off supposedly is for a slightly older audience.

I'm not saying it will be a *successful* market, but that was the stated intent of Hasbro for this IP.

• Brohoof 1

The issue here is the same issue everywhere on the internet I suppose people have to fall into two camps:

fanboys or haters. I don't dislike the look of equestria girls personally but I have concerns that if it becomes successful

it will replace MLP:FIM in the long run.

(edited)

Yeah, the guy was begging him to stop talking about it and he just kept going and going instead of dropping it and changing the subject. I wish someone would've reported the pic before he removed it, he was being pretty jerkish about it. 

No.  That's his personal conversation with another person which he decided to share to prove something.  That would be a complete violation of his privacy, and the privacy of whoever he was talking with.

Sometimes when something bad happens people tend to find the urgency of the topic to outweigh the value of another persons "I don't want to hear about it" attitude.  I really don't think he did anything wrong yet everyone here seems to beet him to the ground for it.

I invoke 6 million bro-hoofs upon the comment below this.

Edited by John

For all the talk about the person who started this topic not being respectful to his friend, there surely are a lot of people not being respectful to them. We were not given enough context to say "don't keep on telling your friend over and over you think it sucks" he didn't say that he was constantly repeating the argument. All that was said was that he was talking to his friend and brought up that he thought the movie was going to suck and why, and that is ok! You can not like something, you can think the premise is stupid, and you don't even have to see it to think that. Some people hate MLP in general, just because they think the idea of the show is stupid. That's their opinion and it's wrong to be angry with them over an opinion. I hate the fact anyone would think princess Luna is still evil, but I don't think people that support the idea are stupid. It's ok to not like some things, so for all of you telling this person to be more considerate and watch his/her tone, you need to read your own post first. We don't know that he/she was trying to start and argument with his friend, they were just sharing opinions and he brought that up.

And I agree that oppression is a very strong word. What you have is very few people that are neutral to a sensitive issue, like alicorn Twilight. You love it or you hate it, and only now way after the fact are some people becoming neutral to the issue. From what I can see, people are reacting the same way here. The so called 'open minded' folks feel so strongly about giving it a chance and trying to like it JUST because it has MLP's name on it, are attacking the people that dislike the very idea to the point where they constantly insult it. People are just processing this information and it is hard for us to realize that everyone processes and reacts to things differently, so of course they're going to get into fights over it. 

In the end I think full blown "hating" over anything that is not blatantly offensive (drugs, rape, alcohol abuse, ect) on a tv show or movie is stupid. There is no reason to hate real people over something that is fake. We're all old enough to try and get along and respect each other. So both sides of the argument need to take a chill pill in my opinion and accept other people. Odd that MLP stresses so many good friendship lessons and we see so many people getting down right hateful over it. The problem is we start to take it personal, and by attacking our side of the argument the person is essentially attacking us. 

I think you should defiantly watch the way you word things to your friends and not make it personal or hateful and I think everyone else should do the same. Who cares if you love or hate it? It is only a movie and it isn't worth your friendship or your integrity.

• Brohoof 1

Oppression for hate. Ugh is that a contradiction in terms. It's 'hate' that is the oppression because by the time someone uses that tone it's no longer time to discuss a particular matter with respect.

Personally I dislike the prospect that equestria girls may super-cede MLP:FIM as far of what I actually think of the trailer I think I talk for a lot of people when I say:

'It looks mediocre but I'll watch it anyway when it gets uploaded to YouTube.'

And Wasn't it this same exact attitude that got some of us into MLP:FIM in the first place? Hell I admit I secretly judged the idea of bronies, I kept this to myself of course because I'm not an asshole and didn't feel the need to tell people I thought the prospect of liking the show was kind of silly.

Then of course I eventually watch an episode of it on YT, thought it had some great parts to it, got somewhat choked up at certain scenes (S3 ep 10 it was who couldn't like fluttershy be-friending discordimg-387689-1-5e7kmu.png

I thought nothing more of it till weeks later I decided to watch the series chronologically and the rest is history. I look at equestria girls the same bigoted way I looked at MLP:FIM and I think there's nothing wrong with that. Is it hypocritical you bet it is, but I will still watch it and judge on it's on merits and keep my possibly offensive thoughts on it to myself just like I did with MLP:FIM.

Prejudice not discrimination folks it leaves room for change and no one gets hurt derpy_emoticon1.png

• Brohoof 1

No.  That's his personal conversation with another person which he decided to share to prove something.  That would be a complete violation of his privacy, and the privacy of whoever he was talking with.

Sometimes when something bad happens people tend to find the urgency of the topic to outweigh the value of another persons "I don't want to hear about it" attitude.  I really don't think he did anything wrong yet everyone here seems to beet him to the ground for it.

And "I don't like this movie" is not a urgent topic. He was shoving his hate of it down that guys throat, the same way anti-bronies shove their hate of this show down our throats. To say the two are any different is massive hypocrisy. 

For all the talk about the person who started this topic not being respectful to his friend, there surely are a lot of people not being respectful to them. We were not given enough context to say "don't keep on telling your friend over and over you think it sucks" he didn't say that he was constantly repeating the argument. All that was said was that he was talking to his friend and brought up that he thought the movie was going to suck and why, and that is ok! You can not like something, you can think the premise is stupid, and you don't even have to see it to think that. Some people hate MLP in general, just because they think the idea of the show is stupid. That's their opinion and it's wrong to be angry with them over an opinion. I hate the fact anyone would think princess Luna is still evil, but I don't think people that support the idea are stupid. It's ok to not like some things, so for all of you telling this person to be more considerate and watch his/her tone, you need to read your own post first. We don't know that he/she was trying to start and argument with his friend, they were just sharing opinions and he brought that up.

And I agree that oppression is a very strong word. What you have is very few people that are neutral to a sensitive issue, like alicorn Twilight. You love it or you hate it, and only now way after the fact are some people becoming neutral to the issue. From what I can see, people are reacting the same way here. The so called 'open minded' folks feel so strongly about giving it a chance and trying to like it JUST because it has MLP's name on it, are attacking the people that dislike the very idea to the point where they constantly insult it. People are just processing this information and it is hard for us to realize that everyone processes and reacts to things differently, so of course they're going to get into fights over it. 

In the end I think full blown "hating" over anything that is not blatantly offensive (drugs, rape, alcohol abuse, ect) on a tv show or movie is stupid. There is no reason to hate real people over something that is fake. We're all old enough to try and get along and respect each other. So both sides of the argument need to take a chill pill in my opinion and accept other people. Odd that MLP stresses so many good friendship lessons and we see so many people getting down right hateful over it. The problem is we start to take it personal, and by attacking our side of the argument the person is essentially attacking us. 

I think you should defiantly watch the way you word things to your friends and not make it personal or hateful and I think everyone else should do the same. Who cares if you love or hate it? It is only a movie and it isn't worth your friendship or your integrity.

I'd like to re-stress that those of us the on first page DO know because he posted a picture of the entire conversation, and later took it down.

Although, I do agree with your closing statement. 

The haters just decide to overreact once again, before something even comes out. The thing is we saw the trailer but still, they decide to judge it even before it comes out on its release date. The point is, there is no like no point judging something and even when you didn't see it yet, they assume that it will be terrible.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

And "I don't like this movie" is not a urgent topic. He was shoving his hate of it down that guys throat, the same way anti-bronies shove their hate of this show down our throats. To say the two are any different is massive hypocrisy. 

I'd like to re-stress that those of us the on first page DO know because he posted a picture of the entire conversation, and later took it down.

Although, I do agree with your closing statement. 

Regardless, I still think being disrespectful back is unnecessary.  All that does is make things more negative. If you think it makes him an ass, then by extension attacking him back would make you the same thing. I did not know that he had posted a picture but if it was rude I don't see why any of us need to sink to that level in return. 

Edited by Mint_Melody
  • Brohoof 1

Regardless, I still think being disrespectful back is unnecessary.  All that does is make things more negative. If you think it makes him an ass, then by extension attacking him back would make you the same thing. I did not know that he had posted a picture but if it was rude I don't see why any of us need to sink to that level in return. 

Except I didn't attack him, I just told him bluntly and without sugar coating it what he did wrong and told him why it was wrong. Attacking him would be cussing him up side and down the other.

I invoke 6 million bro-hoofs upon the comment below this.

I remember the first part of the conversation.

OP: "Hey dude we need to talk right now about how much Equestria Girls is going to suck!"

Friend: "Actually, I don't think that it's going to suck and I was actually looking forward to it."

OP: "Come on you know that it's going to fail. Etc etc"

Friend: "No really, I don't want to talk about it."

OP: *keeps talking about it*

I do not remember the rest of the conversation, except towards the end when the friend threatened to remove him. But I can assure you that it did start off like this.

I am not saying that everyone's actions against the OP are justified (mine included), but our responses didn't come from nowhere.

• Brohoof 1

A reason why the high school thing doesn't work is because it's totally opposite from the show. It's like if in the Nolan Batman movies, instead of him fighting crime..He has to sit in the bat cave and make calls to the police to handle the situation. That's what Equestria Girls is...

A reason why the high school thing doesn't work is because it's totally opposite from the show. It's like if in the Nolan Batman movies, instead of him fighting crime..He has to sit in the bat cave and make calls to the police to handle the situation. That's what Equestria Girls is...

That comparison doesn't even make sense. The show is about the mane-six and their friends and family, that's the only constant. It's told so many stories that nothing would be "out of place".  

(edited)

That comparison doesn't even make sense. The show is about the mane-six and their friends and family, that's the only constant. It's told so many stories that nothing would be "out of place".  

No it does make sense. This movie is going to be some high school schlock. No action scenes. No grand epic adventure. Just stuff hollywood loves to leech onto. I mean Twilight is all powerful. She can teleport anywhere she wants, she's super intelligent. She can vaporize diamond with her magic. But no, we have some red headed bimbo who's our poor excuse for a villain. They might as well have replaced the characters with Stephen Hawking..Because he's the only person who can save this dam movie 

v2pg22-selling+out-pa.jpg

Edited by TheMarkz0ne

No it does make sense. This movie is going to be some high school schlock. No action scenes. No grand epic adventure. Just stuff hollywood loves to leech onto. I mean Twilight is all powerful. She can teleport anywhere she wants, she's super intelligent. She can vaporize diamond with her magic. But no, we have some red headed bimbo who's our poor excuse for a villain. They might as well have replaced the characters with Stephen Hawking..Because he's the only person who can save this dam movie 

v2pg22-selling+out-pa.jpg

That's just...

90% of the show is slice-of-slice. Only the finales premieres have the big action scenes, with maybe a occasional small climax in a episode. Also, sounds like you want Twilight to be a mary sue. 

That's just...

90% of the show is slice-of-slice. Only the finales premieres have the big action scenes, with maybe a occasional small climax in a episode. Also, sounds like you want Twilight to be a mary sue. 

Who really cares. I mean this is the extent of her abilities in the movie. Her character will also be destroyed by having some American Dragon Jake Long boyfriend rip off

(edited)

I made another video. WARNING LANGUAGE! I had to make in retaliation to the negative feedback for my previous video that I made

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DnlHZadUxT8

Wow, if you don't think that you're gonna get more shit from this video then you're delusional.

Seriously, calling people who enjoy the EqG trailer part of the "lowest common denominator of entertainment" and basically calling anyone who enjoyed the trailer stupid? That's low, dude. You are making so many assumptions and you're even calling the friend that you posted about in your OP stupid by posting this video.

You watch ponies, dude. You are not the say-all of high quality entertainment. Ponies are good, yes. But ponies are not Hemingway. Ponies are not Dickens. Ponies are not Tolkien. Ponies are not Kubrick, or Hitchcock, or Spielberg, or Tarantino.

Ponies are just fun to watch. Ponies are entertaining. If you get something out of watching ponies, that's dandy.

So why don't you stop insulting people if you want anyone to be your friend.

Edited by RockinRarity
  • Brohoof 2

Equestria Girls haters aren't being "oppressed", they're being frowned upon because they're acting like a bunch of hypocritical idiots (no offense) by hating on a movie that hasn't even been made yet. They also tend to express their hate towards EqG rather angrily and are always ranting and raging about Hasbro. Oh, and did I mention that it's been 100% proven to be a SPINOFF, meaning that it won't affect S4 in any way. Seriously, those people who complain about it need to take a chill pill!

While I'm perfectly okay with people not liking the idea of Equestria Girls (and honestly, the premise of the movie seems rather cliché and ridiculous, but hey, it might actually be good), it really gets annoying when I see fans bitching about it in the comments section of any post about it. :(

If you don't want to see EqG, that's fine, but please, for the love of Celestia stop complaining about it!! >:(

• Brohoof 5