Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Emotional ties with the characters, and how has the show helped you?

DreamRisk

Its been a topic floating around my head for awhile: How has the show helped you emotionally, and do you have any bonds or ties to the characters of the show? Do you hear mock voices of the characters in your head sometimes? Has the show literally saved your life? Tell your story! Do you like the show because its funny and AMAZING, or is it something deeper? 

I guess for me it really did pull me back on the right track. I felt extremely hopeless and stopped taking my anti depression medicine. I was going to just give up, but then I started watching the show more and fell in love. I really connected with princess Luna and Fluttershy, and they gave me hope to keep going on. Sort of weird...and deep, but hey, I owe those -sadly fake- ponies my life! 

If there are any topics like this, sorry! Feel free to remove this one! If I posted this in the wrong spot sorry again, Im also a noob >.< 

Well thats enough of my blathering! Tell me about your story! yay.png

I think there's something deeper for every fan than just it being a funny and well-done show. There's a reason why every major character has a vocal, passionate, and rather significant band of supporters. Among these characters, there's something for everyone.

The one I latched onto immediately was Spike, because in many ways he is essentially me in baby dragon form. He has excellent penmanship, he's clearly not a fan of mornings, he held in a crush for a while, he's full of amazing quips even in potentially distressing situations (Bridle Gossip, anyone?), and in season 1 he seems to have an interest in broadcasting. I just love the little guy, flaws and all. In the Grand Galloping Gala episode, when we see him in the donut shop at the end (doing essentially the little kids show version of "drinking one's sorrows away"), I just thought to myself "right there with ya, buddy". laugh.png

(edited)

I don't have an epic conversion story. My Little Pony didn't drag me out of depression or anything, and it didn't turn my life around in any way.

What it did do was change the little things. Since I started watching the show I've valued things like friendship and kindness more and have actively strived to show it to others, which is pretty cool.

Edited by Sky Chaser

Well I don't know if this is really that big of a story.

The show definitely taught me to be more open minded

and not so judgemental and mean.

In my opinion,i used to be quite a jerk.I picked on people for

what they liked and judged people.

The show taught me to not be this way.

I also used to be pretty self conscious about

myself,worrying what other people think of me.

Now,I really don't give a crap about what people think of me.

I am a brony and I am proud of it.

A lot more friendly now too.

I immediately related to Twilight,because she didn't like to make friends.

That was me,a kid who didn't like to make friends.

I value friendship and love and tolerance more now.

Definitely brought some happiness in my life.

I guess that is how this show turned my life around.

Nothing really too big.

That is all. (bows)

For me, nothing quite so dramatic as in the OP, except maybe as a pleasant diversion during some stressful times. 

As far as change goes, I think it maybe made me more willing to go outside my comfort zone.  I'm not a super sociable person by nature but I think that finding the commonality of "bronydom" has made it a bit easier to do that with others. 

(edited)

This show hasn't done anything too dramatic like saving my life or anything like that but while it hasn't solved all my problems it has helped me keep things in perspective by reminding me that things aren't always doom and gloom, has been an excellent stress reliever, has helped a bit with my depression and has brought back my creative side which I have been neglecting for far too long. I have emotional ties with many of the characters in this show, the ones I have the strongest ties with are Applejack, Twilight Sparkle, Luna and Derpy.

Applejack because though our backgrounds are different we share many of the same values of hard work, and being honest and true to yourself and others and keeping your word. And since Apple Family Reunion this tie has become even more powerful that episode spoke to me more than any other because as I lost my father a year ago I understood why Applejack tried so hard to make the Apple Family Reunion perfect.

Twilight Sparkle because like her making friends and basic socialization didn't come easily to me, and I am somewhat of a nerd/egghead though unlike her I have more of a creative mind rather than a scientific/analytical mind. Luna because I can relate to her struggles to fit in and Derpy because I have often been misunderstood in the past due to having Autism. Derpy has not been confirmed one way or another to be disabled but I like the positive message of it's okay to be different that including a character like Derpy sends.

Edited by EarthbendingProdigy
  • Brohoof 1