Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Comparing Sunset Shimmer to the other Four Villains

100 beasts kaidou

So even If Sunset Shimmer isn't a Canon villain she is still a New Major Villain, So lets try to compare her to the others:

Backround Story: So she is The Only villain besides Nightmare Moon Who has a deep story(Former student of Celestia). But let us face it, A student who failed Doesnt Seem Very Dangerous Because it means that Twilight already surpassed Her in magic. The other villains Have Backround Storys That are badass Like Nightmare Moon Transformation and her fight qith Celestia which celestia had to use the element of harmony to beat her, Discord Taking over Equestria And the Two Princesses with the EOH Combined Turned him into stone as they couldnt even kill him, Queen Chrysalis Has the least Known Story but we still know that she is the queen of the Changelings. But then again we dont know why she Quit being Celestia Student and she might not have failed a Test, So we will wait and see.

Motivation: So We Dont Know what Sunset wants to do with the Crown, Or why She entered That Portal, We will also have to wait and see. As for the Other villains, Nightmare Moon Wanted Eternal Night, Discord wanted Lulz, Queen Chrysalis wanted love to feed her people, King Sombra wanted To use the crystal Heart to spread Hatred All over Equestria.

Species: What is intresting about her is that she unlike The other villains is just a Unicorn While NMN was an alicorn, Chrysalis was a Changeling version of an alicorn, Discord was a Draconquus, King Sombra may was just an Unicorn but he also Was a UnSoild Shadow Who was able to cover the entire crystal Empire. So Its good to see The Writers try something new.

Powers: Again Unlike the other villains Who all Had the ability to Fight Alicorns, She seems Like just a Powerfull Unicorn Perhabs as strong as Twilight before she turned into an Alicorn. But the thing is, She doesnt need power, Because She went into another Universe and the only Good guy who followed her was twilight and she couldnt do anything to her seeing how there is no magic in that universe, And seeing From the trailer It could be assumed that She and Twilight Will fight for the crown by being who wins the Prom Queen contest, So all what Sunset has to do is make everybody like her which is hard for her opponent twilight to do.

Personality: From what We see from the trailer She Seems to have the personality of Trixie,Gilda,Blueblood Combined as she Seems like a B---- Who likes to showoff with her looks and is mean to other students ( Or maybe only Twilight). Okay so Sombra and NMN dont have that much of a Personality and Discord Seems Like a Funny Troll. But Chrysalis Judging from the way she acted while pretending to be Cadence seems to have The Same Personality as Sunset(Maybe They Could Be mother and daughter). So Not sure What tp think of sunsets personality From the little we know about her but she seems like a Female Gary Motherbucking Oak.

Actions: So All what We Know that she did is that She stole a Crown and ran away thought the portal, And Judging from the fact that the universe That shes In is Like our universe she cant do Something Really Evil In said Universe Until the ending of the movie, But then again She might have done something really evil that made Celestia Kick her out. As for the other villains:

NMN: Foughted With Celestia, Foughted with her again and this time won, Tried to do eternal Night.

Discord: Took Over Equestria once, Foughted the princesses and Lost, Returned and Took over Equestria again, Discorded the elements of Harmony.

Queen Chrysalis: Defeated Cadence, Mind Controlled Shining, Defeated Celestia and nearly took over Canterol.

King Sombra: Killed The Former Crystal Princess And took over her empire, Foughted Two Alicorns and Banished the Empire with him, Defeated Shining Armour, His Traps outsmarted Twilight.

tl;dr From The Little we know about Her we can tell she had a different Style than The Other villains, is that good or bad, We will have to wait and see.

• Brohoof 3

Very nice read. Sunset Shimmer kinda makes me think of Trixie, but more like a villain. It will be interesting to see if the pony version of Sunset Shimmer appears in the actual show. Good comparison!

Isn't kind of a stretch to call her a villain? We don't know *anything* about her.

Undoubtedly she'll be the antagonist, but It's a step higher to call her a "villain": that's territory you'd only really reserve for people like Discord or Chrysalis who commit actions that are threatening to, well, everyone.

I don't believe at all she'll go that far: she'll just be more like the majority of antagonists in the show who are there to create conflict, but not necessarily bad people (or at least, as bad as a straight-up villain like Discord). You wouldn't put Gilda and Discord in the same category, they aren't even close blink.png

I'm not really going to go off-the-wall with speculating on her, because there is only so much you can infer from what we saw, and odds are that the trailer misdirected all sorts of stuff. Unlike Trixie and Twilight, you can argue that their is a much more personal contrast between them, right down to similar names (Twilight Sparkle, Sunset Shimmer).

Here's hoping she's nice, or at least reforms in the end: her toy is too sweet for her to stay bad yay.png

• Brohoof 1

Well this was a pretty good read and some neat ideas, but I do have one problem with this idea. 

Actions: So All what We Know that she did is that She stole a Crown and ran away thought the portal, And Judging from the fact that the universe That shes In is Like our universe she cant do Something Really Evil In said Universe Until the ending of the movie, But then again She might have done something really evil that made Celestia Kick her out.

We don't really know if she did steal this crown and run away to the human world. This is going on in the trailer. To what it looks like Sunset Shimmer has won this contest thing for over 3 years now. Seeing as there are 3 pictures of her. So this had to have happen many years ago and that can't be, cause the mirror is in the Crystal Empire and it just came back. So to what it looks like Twilight is the only one who is a pony turned into a human.

Still this idea could work, you just need to work out that part. 

Discord wanted Lulz

Okay, before I talk about the actual topic, I have to tell you, I laughed so hard when I saw that. I don't know why I found that so funny, but I did. Maybe because it's very true...

Anyways! I'm pretty excited about Equestria Girls, and I can't wait to see what the writers did with this absolutely new territory they have found themselves in. I'm also intrigued about what they are going to do with Sunset Shimmer! I like how you explained it!

My ballpark idea is that Sunset was banished from the Equestrian world for doing something deemed very evil. She's been living in the human world for a while, clearing up the wonder of how she could've gotten the award thingy three years in a row. (There also could be a time affect when you pass through the portal, kinda like in Narnia. The crown could've passed through the portal seconds before you, and you find it's been there for years.

So Sunset finds the crown, recognizes it as a Princess's crown and pushes to win the competition every year so she can keep the crown. She doesn't realize Twilight's from Equestria at first; she just likes to be mean and decides to pick on the new kid.

Aaaand that's about as much as I've assumed. I just kinda go blank after that. I guess I'll just have to wait and see the movie to find out what happens! :D

• 3 weeks later...

From the trailer i have seen with her in it, i think that she isnt as full of herself as trixie i, but she is more likely (in highschool terms) the prep/bully/the girl who has people listen to her left and right sleep.png  

There also could be a time affect when you pass through the portal, kinda like in Narnia. The crown could've passed through the portal seconds before you, and you find it's been there for years.

That's what I thought when I first saw the trailer too.

So Sunset finds the crown, recognizes it as a Princess's crown and pushes to win the competition every year so she can keep the crown.

I figure that makes sense too, but the thing that confuses me is if there is no magic in the Human world, why does Sunset Shimmer even want the crown there if it can't get her any power (besides popularity which is not as powerful as magic)? Perhaps she just wants to make sure no one else can get it.

I think I can definitely compare Sunset Shimmer to Trixie because, of their hatred for Twilight. So, I'm guessing that from the trailer that Shimmer is definitely after the crown.

Okay so I made this thread way beofre *Spoiler* I saw the Picture Of Shimmer as a demon. *Spoiler* I actually think that she might be a really great villain, Perhabs a Ponified CM Punk.

*spoiler* Yea but that's only after she puts on Twilight's crown isn't it? (according to mlp wiki)  So her 'demonic' powers may just come from that and it may be similar to Trixie when she used the Alicorn Amulet. 

(edited)

I'm still not sold on calling Sunset Shimmer a 'Major Villain' yet, even with the spoilery demonic thing.  She still comes off as a jerk overall, which puts her more into Trixie or Gilda territory for now.  After all what's the ulterior motives?  Let's recap...

Nightmare Moon:  Eternal Night. <-- This one's kind of a biggie.  No sun = no life.

Discord: Everlasting Chaos <-- More mischief than anything, but his unfiltered influence has negative effects to the peace in Equestria overall.

Chrysalis:  Changeling Invasion <--  If what she did to Shining Armor is any indication, then Equestria would have been toast if the changelings succeeded.

Sombra:  Enslaving the Crystal Empire <-- I don't think I need to elaborate this one.

Sunset Shimmer:  Embarrass Twilight Sparkle(?) <-- Didn't Trixie already tried to do that?

By everything I've read, Sunset Shimmer seems to be fueled by petty revenge over being replaced as Celestia's student, which prompts her to steal the crown, which is ok as a motivation as it mirrors Luna's own jealousy towards Celestia that turned her into Nightmare Moon.  But the difference is that Nightmare Moon posed an immediate threat to Equestria with her motives (eternal night) while Sunset Shimmer's motives (revenge on Twilight) don't pose an immediate threat on the surface.  Of course, all this is not taking into account the events of Equestria Girls and the ramifications of Sunset Shimmer stealing Twilight's crown, or how much of a threat she becomes when the demonic side comes out, both of which we won't know until the movie comes out.

But for right now, Sunset Shimmer is kind of a weak antagonist overall as at first glance she is just Trixie 2.0.  Her motives seem petty and doesn't pose a real threat to anypony or anyhuman on concept alone.  Than again, that demon form looks like bad news for anyone and it looks like they do need the elements of harmony to fix things.  So obviously my impressions will change once I see the movie.  But for now, Sunset Shimmer has got a long way to go to match up to the great villains that had come before her.

(EDIT)  Although, truth be told, she is probably the only one to look legitimately badass in the promo designs.  That's worth a few brownie points.

Sunset_Shimmer_%28early_version%29.png

Edited by Astrobrony

For some reason, I feel like with a name like Sunset Shimmer, she will probably turn good in the end. Maybe that sounds silly, but something tells me that they wouldn't give such a pretty name to someone they intended to keep evil.

• Brohoof 2

Okay so for anybody that ACTUALLY wants to know, I just came from the premiere. There's a LOT of spoilers here but it's good for using for comparison.

*Spoilers*

Sunset Shimmer didn't necessarily fail Celestia as a student, think something more along the lines of Kung Fu Panda 1, where the antagonist was great at what he did but the teacher saw evil.

Her motivation is that the crown will give her great powers in the human world. That's the demon you guys saw.

She technically is still a unicorn but since she's in the human world, I'd classify her as a human villain. It presents a challenge to Twilight since she has to get used to being a human before she even starts running for the dance princess.

She has more back story than just Celestia's student though, she's been ruining friendships and split up the mane five in the human world.

I wouldn't really compare Sunset to Trixie, cause Trixie just wants to be the best, better than Twilight. Sunset just wants the crown to enslave the humans and take over Equestria.

*Spoilers*

Sunset Shimmer definitely has a weaker background story compared to most other villains. Also the whole bully thing has been done by Trixie and Gilda. However, she also is the first villain I literally want to punch in the face because of her attitude, so go get her Twilight and make her sorry she wanted to mess with you.

I wonder what will happen to her after the movie. Maybe she'll reform and join the Mane 6 as the "Bad Girl" of the group.

*Prior to reading Shadow TH's spoilers*

I think it would be pretty interesting if Sunset Shimmer's theft of the crown was a feint: she takes it, removes it (and Twilight) from Equestria, then the power behind her (King Sombra?  Some demon lord?) attacks Equestria, safe in the knowledge that one of the Elements and the leader of the M6 is in a universe far, far away and not in a position to rescue Equestria, or even know it's in danger.

*After reading spoilers*

Oh.  Invasion of the Zombie Vampire Humans?  So, Shadow, is it worth Netflixing?

I really want to know what she did that made Celestia go that far, as to kick her student to the curb.
Also, I really want to know what she wants with Twilight's crown!

Thanks for the info, Shadow! So if I read all that right, Sunset Shimmer is essentially using humans to help her take over Equestria, right? Because if that's the case, that would boost her villain profile from my post earlier.

At any rate, I've got to see this one for myself!

(edited)

This screenshot is what people were referring to: (major spoiler, btw)

Devil_Sunset_Shimmer_flying_EG.png

She's as reasonably well developed as we could hope for from the series.  Her background has about as much potential as Discord or NMN, since she and Celestia go way back, as it were.

Edited by NLR Information Minister

*Prior to reading Shadow TH's spoilers*

I think it would be pretty interesting if Sunset Shimmer's theft of the crown was a feint: she takes it, removes it (and Twilight) from Equestria, then the power behind her (King Sombra?  Some demon lord?) attacks Equestria, safe in the knowledge that one of the Elements and the leader of the M6 is in a universe far, far away and not in a position to rescue Equestria, or even know it's in danger.

*After reading spoilers*

Oh.  Invasion of the Zombie Vampire Humans?  So, Shadow, is it worth Netflixing?

I would say so, it's a much better movie than everybody made it out to be from the trailers.

Plus it's only like an hour and twelve minutes long, so you won't be wasting much time if you don't like it.