A long time ago, I argue/debated with a poster friend with regards to Applejack. While he claimed to be an A.J fan, he always put her down, basically saying that she's always at a disadvantage cause she's an earth pony, others can do what she does, and that she never successes at anything.
So, I came up with the other end of the extreme argument: that Applejack has so much ownage that she's a potential Mary Sue.
- A.J tops the other mane 5 in some of their key areas or values:
Twilight - both in and out of show, A.J's considered as level headed or more so than Twi. and just as perceptive. A.J has also been shown to be as good of a leader. Even those that are the closest thing to rivals, and have feuded with her before (Rainbow Dash, Rarity), allow A.J to boss them around.
Rainbow- equal as athletic as Rainbow, just as fast as her, on ground. Maybe even more loyal.
Pinkie Pie- at least as good of a baker as Pinkie Pie and an overall better cook than her
Rarity- without even trying, A.J has achieved the social status that Rarity so desires. Her family helped found the whole town and she's quite well known outside of that cause of her deeds, and if A.J wanted to, she could pack up, move to Manehattan, and live the high end life amount the social elites.
Fluttershy- arguably as kind as Fluttershy, but not held back by social fears, deals with just as much animals on a daily bases. Just as nurturing.
- Even when she does wrong, she does right: Ep.3, first to give the ticket back to Twilight. Ep.8, admits to Rarity she was wrong. Ep. 13, for most of it, tries to win fairly. S2. ep.26, personally apologizes to Twi.
- Two episodes have showcase how much of an ideal sister she is.
- Two episodes involve everyone appreciating her and going out of their way for her.
- She's been celebrated by the entire town, twice (not even Twilight got that)
- She's saved the main character's life, twice
- She's saved the main character's assistant, twice.
- A.J got her own flashback montage in The Return of Harmony
- Considered by many to have the most noble reason to go to the Gala
- Considered by many to be the only one of the group to have "kept it together" and not have gone ape by this point
- Manage to troll Celestia, morally and didn't have to learn a lesson
- The only single pony to ever get one over Pinkie Pie and actually get to her
- No one seems to think she's capable of doing wrong. Even on this site, A.J was voted least likely of the others to become evil.
As by this list, A.J does have a lot of postives going for her. In many regards, she may be overpowered.
At one time, I would say that A.J was the closest thing to a Mary Sue on the show. However, I think A.J has just enough flaws and disadvantages to prevent this (I can list these too).
And, I'd say that Twilight runs a greater risk for this now, as she's recently lost the last of her major flaws, has decent physical strength, now, insane political power along with amazing connections, has even more powerful magic, and finally, has nearly as much positive character traits as A.J, but with little cost to herself.
So, what are your thoughts on this?