Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Princess Anxiety?

Nature's Spell

(edited)

Hi everypony,

After seeing how Equastria Girls deals with Twilight's anxiety, and discomfort, becoming a princess I began to wonder how the season four premiere will deal with it. I really enjoyed the way EQ did it and I think Twilight's characterization was spot on and exactly how I'd expect her to deal with the change. She was uncomfortable but came to see how important she is to her friends and everybody else around her and how much good she can do.

My question is this. Do you think season 4 will start with a bad guy, problem,to over come or will she accept her role more slice-of-life style?

I'm thinking more slice of life since EQ did the villain thing. I also noticed that scene of her flying in her hot minute was from the movie and not season 4. I also loved seeing her being uncomfortable with her wings, while sleeping, since I have that sorta scene in one of my stories!

Edited by Nature Spell
  • Brohoof 3

If they handle it the way they handled it in the movie than that makes it all the more likely that twilicorn will work out which is of course something that even I as a long time critic of it want to happen. Whether it is through a new villain or slice of life dosen't matter much to me, I just want it handled better than the season 3 finale was handled which since seeing the movie has given me a bit more hope that this will be the case.

I would defiantly like to see a 2 parter, but I don't think they will use a big villan like they have in the past.

I think it would be nice to instead to go down the slice of life route personally :).

Well, since McCarthy already said that she considered MMC to be the first part of a kind of three-parter, I think that the opener of season four will either stay to the old setting of new villain-introduction or be completely different. Even though I doubt the latter. Would be difficult to make an opener that "compensates" the lack of explanations of MMC without something that big. Wait, it could, but a villain can be someone who makes it necessary to explain a few things. I mean, Discord and `Sombra came out of nowhere and expanded the canon quite a lot. So, why not?

It would be interesting to see an antagonist who is not totally evil and pushes Twilight to her limits by having some valid points in what he/she does. By being able to defeat him/her with more than "just" the Elements would proof that she really has the potential to be a great leader to more ponies. And it would give her the opportunity to realize that by herself. Although I think it would be a mistake to do all of that directly and entirely in the beginning of the season. So much potential in the single episodes to go "step by step"... I think step by step is more likely, but the threat to proof her leadership-skills seems legit.

• Brohoof 1

I expect the season premiere to be more in the vein of what we've seen in the previous premieres. Some sort of villain posing an existential threat to Equestria that they have to defeat. I bet we'll a future episode dealing with her trying to cope with the pressure of being a princess

• 2 weeks later...

To answer your question, I think a villain attacking while Twily copes with her new princess powers would be an ideal episode.

But good question: have a brohoof!

• Brohoof 1

Twilight will definitely somehow get anxiety since, she might be going through some challenges along the way as a princess in Season 4.

Twilight will definitely somehow get anxiety since, she might be going through some challenges along the way as a princess in Season 4.

Not to be rude, but that's just stating the obvious.

@ OP: If you look back, every single season pilot's had a villain in it. Add that to the fact that MMC was one of a three-part episode, you could count MMC as the "initiation" of the story device - alicorndom (or is it alicornship?) - for a fight.

Hasbro's always liked to turn things on its head. We like it for navigating around clichés; and ascending to being a princess is just as cliché as it comes, so with any luck Hasbro will do what they do best and turn that on its head. Celestia's a character that shows that being a princess isn't all fun and games, and having Twilight assume a pretty pressing duty as a princess can further amplify that. It can tell the children at home "Kids, being a princess isn't the perfect life! Remember you must take up monarchic duties as well!"

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

I can also imagine the opener to Season 4 would be a villain attacking while Twilight tries to cope with her alicornity. We've all seen how Twilight dealt with it initially in EqG, the question from here is how it will affect her in the long term and, to return to the villain aspect, what kind of opponent will challenge Twilight and what tactics it will bring to the table.

Personally, I hope it will be somepony (or something) challenging Twilight solely to take her powers from her and the Elements of Harmony in order to take over Equestria. And no, it won't be Sunset Shimmer, cause technically her pony form is her human form (and vice-versa) and she is tied down to the task of maintaining the friendship between her and the Human Five, so she won't be back for a while. However, if she does return at all, I hope it's to ask Twilight's help on an important matter in the human world. It also won't be Trixie, cause we've seen enough of her as a villain. What I hope for is a villain who will test Twilight to her very core, before breaking her down, isolating her from her friends, taking her powers as well as that of the EoH and going on to terrorize Equestria before being eventually beaten. It will be interesting, seeing as how Twilight and the Mane 6 would have to work up a plan in order to take down this new villain without their trademark powers. In fact, even Trixie could be taken on board by Twilight as part of her plan, an assist in other words. This would cement her position as a good frontline character in the series, no longer a villain or a rival.

Edited by Firebolt Blitz

Aw, that's an interesting question you pose here. I'm leaning more towards a personal problem within the mane 6. I dunno but I have a feeling about it. Particularly Twilight since the major change happened to her at the end of season 3. I too, liked the way EQG handled Twilight's dilemma with her wings it was quite funny.

I know that this is something we will see, but I hope they do not do it too much in the premiere, since they did it a bit in Equestria Girls. The main thing I want to see is them establish her Alicorn-ness well, which MMC wasn't able to do (obviously due to it being only one episode at its time). I would actually prefer a slice of life approach to this, but given that it is a two parter, it will most likely be a villain. That is fine as long as they do it right. She will obviously be nervous still, since EqG is apparently not major canon.

Instead of taking some cheap routes like some shows do when a change happens, I want to see them establish this change. Basically get everypony well acquainted with it, at least somewhat for now and continue doing so more through season 4. This is for both the ponies in the show and the fandom. I am certain many in the fandom are just as nervous as she is about this, that is why DHX needs to use the premiere to establish that worry then establish the princess thing well and calm everyone down. Whether this be through proving her abilities as a leader, showing that she is still the Twilight we love, or both, they would work if done right. Again, Equestria Girls Basically did both of these things already, so I hope that some of that attitude is carried over.

I truly hope they take this route and not back out of it. My respect for them would drop considerably if they backed out. I am certain that they won't though.

(edited)

Great replies. Thanks everypony. It's a shame in a way that EG won't be cannon since it honestly dealt with Twilight's misgivings in a really good way and it felt very natural and true to the characters. I'm also happy that they didn't be labor the issue or make it overly dramatic and difficult. Of clouse that works for me because I'm happy with the change.

Edited by Nature Spell

EG did a pretty solid job with Twilight being worried about the substance of her position despite having all the accessories. It would've been nice to see a movie about that.