Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Police shoots dog! [Disturbing]

FadedSkies

I saw this video the first day It came out. Kinda messed up. Why are they arresting that dude? Is it illegal to record police? Also, that dog was just doing its job. Protecting the master. The guy was being kinda dumb though. I believe shooting the dog was going kind of far, but the cop who did it probably won't get in any trouble whatsoever. I mean, shooting a dog in broad daylight? Eh. Doesn't surprise me. American cops have done lots of things like this in the past. Cops seem to think they have a little too much authority some times. I mean, just google police brutality. Back on topic, If I was the cop I would've let the owner put the dog in the car/calm it down. Not shoot the damn thing. I mean, come on. 

(edited)

But at the same time the guy video taping the people (for whatever reason) was not being smart at all. Mind your own business about things you know!? He could have avoided all that mess if he would have moved on... Now I am not excusing the behavior of the police they certainly could have handled things better. So both of them are in the wrong.

There is no American law that states that you can not record the police. You actually have the freedom to do so... But I guess police still don't want that. Anyways, this guy recording may be a benefit to court (if the officer does ever gets sued) as some evidence. Edited by Psyche Clops
  • Brohoof 1

Really, what is the point of saying things like "I am shocked and appalled!"

Have you not lived in America very long? This shit happens every day. You give a man a gun and a badge and he's gonna abuse both.

Because in the second paragraph, after you tell me that I'm an idiot

I never said you were an idiot, man. You are inserting personal offense where none was present. I just said I didn't think you understood. And it seems that you still don't.

Because taking people's stuff must be as bad as raping.

Did you ever read the Kite Runner? The father in that book makes an interesting point. He asserts that every crime is a form of theft, therefore no type of crime can be ranked as more severe than any other. When you murder, you take their chance for a future, a family, and you take their life. When you rape, you take security, maybe self confidence or trust. When you commit perjury, you take the right to the truth. I think that point is valid.

you tell me that you "manage" the lesser problems until you can actually fix them, because, eventually, you would have fixed all the "bigger problems".

Optimistically, yes. Realistically, no. On some issues there's gonna have to be a point where we just say "good enough" and move on. 

Assuming that stealing stuff is "not as bad" as raping, I'm ok with this. Let me take your stuff, and when the cops catch me, they just let me take it all away, and give me a pat on the head asking me to not do it again. And then they tell you that they will arrest me after they've arrested all the rapists.

Did I not just say that they could be worked out concurrently? Did you not read to the analogy? 

can you tell me how to cut a tree with a kazoo?

Yes, but it takes a lot of kazoos. 

I'm beginning to think that the real problem with my ideology is that it isn't yours. That's what usually ends up being the issue in any ideological or theological discussion (I get the "you're wrong because you're not Christian" a lot). If this is the problem, and I do believe it is, then there is obviously nothing more I can contribute here. Unless of course I decide to change my display name and thereby my ideology like I did just preceding this discussion. Don't count that out.

Speaking of which, how about rather than trying to shoot up mine, we hear your ideology. 

• Brohoof 1

Just a side note...

Have any of you ever been attacked by a dog? I don't mean like "my friend got a dog and he bit me". I mean, a dog coming at you, growling like it wants to kill you, going for your leg and chasing you when you try to get out of the way?

I didn't think so.

I have. It's quite scary, actually. You don't have time to sit and think "oh, he's probably just curious" or "I should stand my ground". Everybody isn't a dog expert, they can't tell if a dog is legitimately hostile. People, including cops, don't go around in full body armor (I said this before, but apparently some people didn't get the message: COPS USUALLY ONLY HAVE A BULLET PROOF VEST. You don't bring full fucking riot gear to every disturbance, and you don't bust out body armor for some jack ass with a camera and a dog). They'll do quite a bit more than scratch you.

If I had had a gun, I totally would've shot the dog. I would've felt sorry for the owner afterwords, but I wouldn't feel guilty.

Let's see one of you legitimately attacked by a dog. When you're in the hospital waiting for stitches and blood tests, I guarenteed you won't be worried about how the dog is doing.

Since some of you will undoubtedly misinterpret my intentions, I'd like to reiterate: I DO NOT think the dog needed to be shot. I think the cop overreacted, but it was a mistake anybody could've made. The situation was NOT handled particularly well. However, I DO NOT think the cop is scum. He DOES NOT deserve to be shot. Punished? Sure. Taken off the force for a month or two? Sure. Fired, sued and crucified by the press? No (but he will be).

I DO feel sorry for the dog and his owner. However, the owner was a fucking idiot. I also wish the cop would've shot the dog again to put it out of its misery.

Also, marines throwing puppies off cliffs is pretty fucked up and they should be stopped. Although, they see and deal with a lot of shit over there we never have to, so I don't feel right saying they're an evil blight on humanity that needs to be killed. Some people get depressed, some people go insane, and some do totally fucked up shit. Again, not condoning it, seriously guys. Tone down the hate a bit.

• Brohoof 3

In my opinion, the police do have a right to shot a dog.

However since the dog was going up to the person that was being arrested, police thought it was a security dog protecting him, and trained him that way thinking that its a threat.

But this whole thing about that cop shooting a dog is plain animal abuse.

I never said you were an idiot, man. You are inserting personal offense where none was present. I just said I didn't think you understood. And it seems that you still don't.

Did you ever read the Kite Runner? The father in that book makes an interesting point. He asserts that every crime is a form of theft, therefore no type of crime can be ranked as more severe than any other. When you murder, you take their chance for a future, a family, and you take their life. When you rape, you take security, maybe self confidence or trust. When you commit perjury, you take the right to the truth. I think that point is valid.

Optimistically, yes. Realistically, no. On some issues there's gonna have to be a point where we just say "good enough" and move on. 

Did I not just say that they could be worked out concurrently? Did you not read to the analogy? 

Yes, but it takes a lot of kazoos. 

I'm beginning to think that the real problem with my ideology is that it isn't yours. That's what usually ends up being the issue in any ideological or theological discussion (I get the "you're wrong because you're not Christian" a lot). If this is the problem, and I do believe it is, then there is obviously nothing more I can contribute here. Unless of course I decide to change my display name and thereby my ideology like I did just preceding this discussion. Don't count that out.

Speaking of which, how about rather than trying to shoot up mine, we hear your ideology. 

My problem is not you ideology. My problem is that you think I shouldn't care that much about someone, invested with authority, shooting a dog when there were better ways of handling the situation.

Don't challenge me to "tell you my ideology" because that's what I've been doing this whole conversation. You don't need to know that I'm an atheist and what I think about capital punishment or abortion or even animal rights because this conversation about police officers, their badges and needlessly killing a dog with a taste of cruelty. It's about suffering. Unless you like asshole pollice officers and to shoot yourself in the foot every morning, it's clear what is my problem with all this.

And don't tell me that I don't understand a problem when I just have a different point of view. That equates to telling me that I'm not prepared to talk about this issue and that you are then in a superior position to talk about it because you do understand the problem. It makes you sound like a jerk. You disagree with me? Fine. That's what forums are for, exchanging opinions. But you still haven't told me how can you solve the "big problem" by "managing" the "little problem". I'm done talking to you about this until you tell me how to deal with the police-shooting-dog-small-problem and how does you method help solve the "big-war-elsewhere-big-problem".

I'm done talking to you about this until you can convince me that you "realistically" cut down a tree with a kazoo, because there is a limited number of kazoos in the world.

I love the way people are using "threat" in a very loose way in this thread.

Should a physician be allowed to choose not to treat a patient with a pneumonia because it "poses a threat" to the physician? Apparently so, if three or four trained and physically sound police officers are allowed to shoot a dog even when the owner is available to control the animal. It's not about "threat" it's about their handling of the situation that left a lot be desired.

(edited)

Just a side note...

Have any of you ever been attacked by a dog? I don't mean like "my friend got a dog and he bit me". I mean, a dog coming at you, growling like it wants to kill you, going for your leg and chasing you when you try to get out of the way?

I didn't think so.

I have. It's quite scary, actually. You don't have time to sit and think "oh, he's probably just curious" or "I should stand my ground". Everybody isn't a dog expert, they can't tell if a dog is legitimately hostile. People, including cops, don't go around in full body armor (I said this before, but apparently some people didn't get the message: COPS USUALLY ONLY HAVE A BULLET PROOF VEST. You don't bring full fucking riot gear to every disturbance, and you don't bust out body armor for some jack ass with a camera and a dog). They'll do quite a bit more than scratch you.

If I had had a gun, I totally would've shot the dog. I would've felt sorry for the owner afterwords, but I wouldn't feel guilty.

Let's see one of you legitimately attacked by a dog. When you're in the hospital waiting for stitches and blood tests, I guarenteed you won't be worried about how the dog is doing.

Since some of you will undoubtedly misinterpret my intentions, I'd like to reiterate: I DO NOT think the dog needed to be shot. I think the cop overreacted, but it was a mistake anybody could've made. The situation was NOT handled particularly well. However, I DO NOT think the cop is scum. He DOES NOT deserve to be shot. Punished? Sure. Taken off the force for a month or two? Sure. Fired, sued and crucified by the press? No (but he will be).

I DO feel sorry for the dog and his owner. However, the owner was a fucking idiot. I also wish the cop would've shot the dog again to put it out of its misery.

Also, marines throwing puppies off cliffs is pretty fucked up and they should be stopped. Although, they see and deal with a lot of shit over there we never have to, so I don't feel right saying they're an evil blight on humanity that needs to be killed. Some people get depressed, some people go insane, and some do totally fucked up shit. Again, not condoning it, seriously guys. Tone down the hate a bit.

A few questions regarding your incident. When the dog was going to you, did it immediately lunge at you and bite? Also, say you try to stop it by throwing something at it. Would you suppose the dog would stop to sniff at it?

I ask this because the video shows the dog did NOT immediately lunge to bite the officers when charging at them. Also, if the dog was going to attack the officers, I doubt that he/she would stop to sniff at that object on the ground.

Depending on your answer, these questions may or may not prove the dog had no intention of attacking the officers.

Edited by Psyche Clops
  • Brohoof 1

A few questions regarding your incident. When the dog was going to you, did it immediately lunge at you and bite? Also, say you try to stop it by throwing something at it. Would you suppose the dog would stop to sniff at it?

I ask this because the video shows the dog did NOT immediately lunge to bite the officers when charging at them. Also, if the dog was going to attack the officers, I doubt that he/she would stop to sniff at that object on the ground.

Depending on your answer, these questions may or may not prove the dog had no intention of attacking the officers.

Umm... no? This was about 8 years ago, and I don't have perfect memory :P

As I recall, it was near me, maybe sniffing me or something. I don't like dogs much so I was backing off a bit, and at some point, it got pissed and started to attack.  I have no fucking clue if it would've stopped had I thrown something at it.

And I'm not saying that the dog was charging the guy; I'm saying that to somebody who isn't very familiar with dogs isn't going to analyze a dogs behavior when it runs at them and/or tries to bite. They're going to say "oh fuck a dog is about to attack/is attacking me".

And this events similarity to what happened to me 8 years ago doesn't really prove anything at all.

Okay, so seriously? Shooting the dog? I mean that is just cruel. Like, can someone say animal abuse? Okay that police clearly isn't fit to be holding that gun, or any gun at all. That's all I would like to say. img-1369822-1-UNZJLhS.png

R.I.P Dog sad.png