App?

Noble

(edited)

To make mobile users have more options we could have a app to give mobile users things they can't do such as-

-Color text

-Do @name here

-Change text sizes

-Other options that are on computer version of mlp forums

(I know you can color code by bbc code, but someponies suck at bbc code)

Edited by Noble
  • Brohoof 1

This has been discussed many times, the staff just don't have the time to make an application just for the forums. All of those things you mentioned are optional, so it's unlikely that they will be adding these functions for the mobile version of the forums, at least not in the near future.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

@@Noble,
Think of it this way. What's easier: Feld0 and his underlings spending loads of time on an app, or you taking 5 minutes to learn BBCode? I'm not trying to be rude, but it's just the way it is.

Edited by Ashley
  • Brohoof 2

(edited)

There's no need to add anything.  If you use bbcode that much when you're out, take a few minutes to sit down and right down the bbcodes.  As for the text coloring, that's just simple hex code.  You can actually look up hex code here to use with the bbcode.

If you're unsure, this is how the color bbcode works:
[color*=#111111]Text that will be colored.[/color]
What this^ does is it starts the bbcode and is used to define with color the text will be.  Then of course you have your text and your closing bbcode. It's that easy! ^^

As for the @Member it's really quite simple. All you have to do is put the at sign '@' and directly follow that with [member*=membername] No need for a closing tag.  It's that easy! ^^

To resize text simply wrap whatever text you're going to size with this bbcode:

Text goes here.

^That says it's sizing the font and informs which size it will be resizing to.  Just put the size you want in place of the one.

It's quite simple to figure out the bbcodes for all the functions.  For instance, the one for videos is [media*]Link to video.[/media].  

NOTE: Remove all asterisks from examples.  If I didn't use the asterisks they would've formatted instead of me being able to show you the codes.

Instead of using time and resources to create/install an application that isn't really necessary, it'd be better for us the users to use a little of our time to try and do things in a way in which we can reduce the workload on the staff.  They work hard to keep this site running day in and day out.  So it wouldn't hurt to give a little back.  Just take a few minutes to learn the codes, they're not that hard.

Edited by Night Shadow
  • Brohoof 1

An app is something we'd love to make available someday; unfortunately, our development resources are not unlimited, and are better put toward developing web applications that will run on anything with a web browser. These things cost time and money to make, neither of which our dev team has in unlimited supply. If anyone's interested in financially sponsoring the development of an app, it could happen sooner.

This quote would be worth sharing.

• Brohoof 1

I would honestly like to help out in doing something like this however, i don't have the knowledge in developing something like this...

It also doesn't help that don't have money to donate to something like this.... :(

• 2 months later...

If the staff do not have enough time, you could enlist a group of bronies to create an app. I am not able to do it because I am not tech savvy. This is just a suggestion.

As stated before, the resources aren't unlimited, and it isn't the easiest of things to develop, and then, you have to find people who excel in all of that kind of stuff, which is also hard, and have a lot of spare time, and money, it just would be too much, maybe in the future, but for now, there's other projects that need to be finished before they can think about it. c:

Edited by ~Lawful Volcarona~

As stated before, the resources aren't unlimited, and it isn't the easiest of things to develop, and then, you have to find people who excel in all of that kind of stuff, which is also hard, and have a lot of spare time, and money, it just would be too much, maybe in the future, but for now, there's other projects that need to be finished before they can think about it. c:

then again there are people like me that take matters into their own hands and go forth with the project. and  so far it is going along very well.

Seriously guys, what's so wrong about Xcode? I've decided to take this project up on my own, So far it's going okay.

Nothing wrong with Xcode itself. The issue is that our developer staff would need to purchase Macs and iPhones to develop with, since Xcode isn't available for Windows. The hardware investment needed to properly develop an iOS app is something we cannot make.

If you have your own iOS dev environment and would like to work on an official MLP Forums app, shoot me a PM. :)