Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

I Can't Be The Only One Who Likes Both Applejack And Derpy

Shanks

There are some Applejack fans that feel like Derpy upstaged her in The Last Roundup and dislike her because of that, but though I would have preferred that Derpy had her own episode instead I one of the most outspoken fans on here of both Applejack and Derpy. Applejack has been my favorite pony since I first started watching and though my favorite eventually became a three way tie, I love AJ even more than ever before. And Derpy has been my favorite background pony almost as long as Applejack has been my favorite pony. I like them both for various reasons, especially Applejack whose list of reasons just seems to keep growing but there is one reason they both share. I like Applejack and Derpy because of the message they as characters give that about true to yourself, though they both give this message in different ways. With Applejack it is about being honest and doing the right things even when it is difficult and with Derpy though she hasn't been confirmed one way or another to be disabled that it is that it is okay to be different.

• Brohoof 5

You can count me in, even though I think Derpy is very overrated. Yes, I like her, I would love it if she was brought back despite the complaints, and if she is supposed to be the mascot of the fandom, that would be fine. But all she basically does in the show is be a "Where's Wally" kind of character for the audience, and I don't really think she deserves the huge amount of love she receives just for that. However, if she actually was kept in the show as a minor character, it would make much more sense.

• Brohoof 1

applejack is definately one of the characters with a good message. but that could be kinda crooked coming from me, since i'm kinda a big AJ fan :3

anyway, i love derpy. she has one of the most awesome personalities ever! (according to the fanfics that is)

so yeah, same here.

I agree with you on Applejack, she's one of my favorites! I didn't like her as much in the first 2 seasons; it seemed like the writers didn't fully know the right approach to flourish her personality with more depth. This was not a problem in season 3, as "Apple Family Reunion" and "Spike at your Service" were 2 of my favorite episodes of the whole show! I still can't choose a favorite among the Main 6, but I think I appreciate Applejack a little more than the average brony/pegasister.

As for Derpy: of course I like her, but I don't favor her over the other graduated background ponies. Actually, I like Bon Bon the best because I used to watch My Little Pony Tales and I love her G4 design. It's funny the way her voice changes every time she speaks, so sometimes I pretend that she's Equestria's number 1 impressionist!

I love them both. They are two characters that really show some diversity and really differ from the other ponies personality wise. I liked Applejack in the first two seasons, while I didn't notice Derpy that much in the show. Applejack is starting to grow on me, since the 3rd season I hope to see more of her in Season Four in November.

I like Apple Jack and derpy not more then the other... I think they are two different characters that fit in the show.... I know derpy not on a lot like apple jack though but I like that made a character that has stand out with most of the MLP fans. 

Who's with me? Applederp shipping?

I can't say I've ever seen people pair them. Applejack making Derpy apple muffins. Aww..

If only I wasn't so lazy I'd write a shipfic.

Edited by Jammo
  • Brohoof 1

Well Apple Jack isn't my favorite pony but I do like her and Derpy has to be my favorite background character . They both seem like cool characters, however I don't think Derpy upstaged her in the round up. 

Well I love all the ponies from the show, can't say I hate any ponies or dislike any of them. So don't feel alone on loving Apple Jack and Derpy, I know a lot of ponies that love Apple Jack and Derpy...

Edited by xPrincess Celestiax

Applejack was never upstaged by Derpy. If anything, Derpy added more to an already awesome episode.

Not really a fan of the crossed-eyed pony as much, but that's more cause I don't care for background ponies the way many in the fandom do. I think people react too strongly to a character that's not even a part of the story line, but I liked the bit of personality the writer gave Derpy anyway. So, even as an Applejack fan, I've never cared about Derpy's effect.

• Brohoof 1

I actually am a hardcore AJ fan that also likes Derpy. She is easily my favorite background pony, for whatever that's worth, as I'm not that interested in background ponies.

What I don't like is this silly notion that Derpy upstaged Applejack, which resulted in those awful, unfunny, and totally asinine background pony jokes. I really don't blame Derpy for that mess, but certain obnoxious Bronies who started it up. It also irks me when people act like The Last Roundup was a Derpy episode, or that AJ's spotlight was stolen from Derpy. It's true that fans exploded with joy over Derpy having spoken a few lines, but at the end of the day, it was a just a minor and yet fun little treat that made an outstanding episode even better Why Bronies have to take that and run with it at Applejack's expense I have no idea. Even lately, certain webmasters of certain popular MLP sites still think it's funny to post a Derpy header for something Applejack related. That's the kind of thing that will rustle my pony feathers in a heartbeat.

Just for clarify, there is no upstaging Applejack, so get that twisted little idea out of your head. ;)

img-1739577-1-197890__safe_fluttershy_ap

Edited by Sugar Cube
  • Brohoof 2

Of course you aren't! Derpy is one of my favorite background ponies, if only for the connection with the show that fans have developed over the character.

As well, I love Applejack. I really respect her personality, and I reflect that in my writing. She's a hard worker, and very passionate about her friends. I really have a lot of respect for her. Her stubbornness is a thing I sympathize with. I've done things on my own when I really should have sought help and regretted the aftermath.

Just for clarify, there is no upstaging Applejack, so get that twisted little idea out of your head. 

I never said that I thought that Derpy upstaged Applejack but that there are some Applejack who do unfortunately feel that way. She has been overshadowed on a few occasions though, but Applejack really got her due in season 3 with some great supporting roles in several episodes and 1 excellent episode and 1 episode that wasn't the best as I felt Spike was a tad out of character but Applejack still did quite well in. And I never blamed any of the others for that except for maybe Rainbow Dash, I didn't hate her but I felt she was overrated because I did resent the fact that she got so much attention so though I can get a bit annoyed at the Applejack fans who feel that way I can on some level understand where they are coming from. Flash forward to Sleepless in Ponyville and Wonderbolt Academy and Rainbow Dash became my 3rd and then 2nd favorite pony.

I am also a bit annoyed at the "Applejack is best background pony jokes" but that I think much of that is a case of trolls will be trolls and I am not going to feed them with a response. They have gone down a bit after season 3 though, as it is becoming more and more apparent that even as a joke it is far from being accurate.

Haha, I could make a meme out of this...which I will! Scumbag Derpy: Apple jack has her own episode; steals her thunder by talking. I like both characters...as a matter of fact, I don't think there's anypony I'm not fond with. I can see why some Apple Jack fans might not like Derpy for stealing her thunder though.

Eh, i can see where people might think that i guess, but personally i don't think so.

I like everypony basically, so yeah Applejack and derpy aren't exceptions for sure, Applejack is a great charactor very well developed and stuff, and even better in S3, and Derpy is a fun background pony and her fandom interpretations are cool aswell.

I love them both, so don't worry your not alone.

While Rarity is my all time favorite, Applejack and Derpy will always be a personal favorite for me.

And yes, I do think applejack is the underrated of the six and derpy of the most hated.

I never said that I thought that Derpy upstaged Applejack but that there are some who do unfortunately feel that way. She has been overshadowed on a few occasions though, but Applejack really got her due in season 3 with some great supporting roles in several episodes and 1 excellent episode and 1 episode that wasn't the best as I felt Spike was a tad out of character but Applejack still did quite well in. And I never blamed any of the others for that except for maybe Rainbow Dash, I didn't hate her but I felt she was overrated because I did resent the fact that she got so much attention so though I can get a bit annoyed at the Applejack fans who feel that way I can on some level understand where they are coming from. Flash forward to Sleepless in Ponyville and Wonderbolt Academy and Rainbow Dash became my 3rd and then 2nd favorite pony.

I am also a bit annoyed at the "Applejack is best background pony jokes" but that I think much of that is a case of trolls will be trolls and I am not going to feed them with a response. They have gone down a bit after season 3 though, as it is becoming more and more apparent that even as a joke it is far from being accurate.

And those are the ones to which my comment was aimed at. ;)

I've never really been one to complain about Applejack's treatment throughout the series. A lot of fans seem to have this notion that she's been underplayed or hasn't had as much focus as the other characters in the show. I don't really understand that at all. She's has had just as many episodes of focus as everyone else barring Twilight. And even then, there are plenty of episodes where she plays a key supporting role. The whole background pony thing is just cringe-inducing for so many reasons, as it just doesn't hold any weight whatsoever. Applejack has been treated just as well as any of the other characters over the course of the series. She had a great season 1, and an excellent season 3. She didn't get a ton of spotlight in season 2, but two episodes of focus is still plenty. (Yes, SSCS6K is an AJ episode.)

Meh, I'll save these thoughts for an upcoming blog or something.

Edited by Sugar Cube

Honestly, I never even saw a connection between AJ and Derpy as far as fans are concerned...if there is indeed a good portion of AJ fans who think Derpy has "upstaged" her, and resent her for it, then I'm not one of them. I just see Derpy as an overrated BG pony - and I know how a lot of people cringe when they hear the term "overrated", but overrated does not in any way imply that something is "bad", it simply means that it's not as great as everyone says it is. And I'm sorry to break it to you, fandom, but Derpy is simply not as great as almost all of you say she is. And if she is, then hey, maybe there's something wrong with my eyes.

Bottom line, she was just born of an animation error that the animation team decided to roll with. There really never should've been any controversy involving her...life sucks, "f*ck soccer moms" and yadda-yadda-yadda. But at the same time, the whole thought that "she teaches us that it's okay to be different" is a total head-scratcher to me because she doesn't DO anything in the show to convey such a message - she was merely a comedic foil in The Last Roundup, and to this day she remains exactly what she should be: a background pony. The FANS have assigned this "deep message" to her, which isn't a bad thing, but to venerate her and push for her to have her own episodes and all that whatnot, I feel is slightly silly. Give her an episode, and suddenly you need to give Vinyl an episode. Then Lyra. Then Octavia. See the problem, here? Give one BG pony an inch, and the rest of 'em will take an ell. Leave BG ponies' adventures to the fan animators, I say.

TL;DR - I'm an AJ fan, I don't hate Derpy nor blame her for AJ's "background pony" jokes, I could just stand to see less of her. If I get a storm of hate for expressing my honest sentiments, then so be it.

Edited by Lowline Thrash

Give her an episode, and suddenly you need to give Vinyl an episode. Then Lyra. Then Octavia. See the problem, here? 

It is true that Derpy is not the only background pony with a large fanbase, but Derpy is unique even among the background ponies because she has that additional meaning to her character and it is for that reason why if any background pony deserves an episode it is her. I could understand that concern but I myself think that the occasional background pony episode might actually be a good thing so long as it is not overdone.

It is true that Derpy is not the only background pony with a large fanbase, but Derpy is unique even among the background ponies because she has that additional meaning to her character and it is for that reason why if any background pony deserves an episode it is her. I could understand that concern but I myself think that the occasional background pony episode might actually be a good thing so long as it is not overdone.

Fair enough. After all, no one's even really sure yet how long the series is going to last, and now that it's reached syndication, it's got the potential to be fairly long-running. If that's the case, an occasional BG pony episode wouldn't hurt, but I'd hope that they keep it rather "reeled in" lest they seem like they're pandering to bronies. The occasional shout-outs are appreciated, but going overboard with it would definitely create yet another polarizing issue for the fandom. As if we need more of those...