Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

MLP Facebooks uses a Fighting is Magic Background

Sir.Flutter Hooves

Do you think this is fair?  

29 users have voted

1. 1. Do you think this is fair to Fighting is Magic?

• Yes
    • No

Hello,

Okay, so today the MLP facebook posted a new banner for their page. If you have not seen it yet here it  is below. But wait, they used a Fighting is Magic Background, the very game Hasbro shut down. Do you think this is fair to use somethin and not credit the rightful owner? Technacially they made this background with NO ponies in it, so it is technaclly theirs for the taking. Tell my your opions below.kibzC3M.jpg

Here is my response: Who cares?

The background is a recreation of Twilight's home, which is still within the IP that HASBRO owns. They own MLP, they can do whatever the hell they please with it. Take my banner for instance. I made the banner, but did I make the characters and whatnot within it? No, Hasbro did.

Seriously, some of you are too damn quick to make Hasbro into this evil entity and this proves it. This is over-dramatizing at it's finest.

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 7

no it's not ok and it's morally wrong, I wish bronies and more people can notice it and demand an explanation and put enough pressure to make them to take it down. However is legally OK, I assume, to use that image since it's "their product".

• Brohoof 2

It's perfectly fair. I mean, the Golden Oaks Library setting is from MLP, so it does technically belong to Hasbro...so....I say it's fair. People overreact over things like this a bit too much.

Edited by WheatleyCore
  • Brohoof 3

It's not fair but since Hasbro owns MLP, and thus Twilight's home, there's really nothing any of us can do about it.

The background is a recreation of Twilight's home, which is still within the IP that HASBRO owns. They own MLP, they can do whatever the hell they please with it. Take my banner for instance. I made the banner, but did I make the characters and whatnot within it? No, Hasbro did.

Seriously, some of you are too damn quick to make Hasbro into this evil entity and this proves it. This is over-dramatizing at it's finest.

Well aren't you a bundle of joy?

• Brohoof 6

Here's the thing, our relationship with Hasbro is already within inches of "holy shit WW3 just broke loose, hit the deck". Unless whichever member of the FiM staff that made the background wants to complain, it's really not our concern,

Yes, it's tacky and backhanded for them to use content from a fan project they shut down, but, there's such a thing as "picking your battles". No sense in stirring the pot. 

Although, I do think it's hilarious and will someday make a "stupid things companies have done" list somewhere.  

Well, right or wrong... If the Fighting is Magic people made it and Hasbro simply took it and uses it, it may seem wrong, but on the other hand they legally own everything related to the IP so it's right.

I would just say it's awkward if they used one drawn by the Fighting team (especially considering the circumstances), seeing how they must have dozens made by their own people. 

• Brohoof 1

I see it like this.... they can demand all of us for making games, images, drawings, animations, music, games, etc. of their franchise but that thing is that they would only lose time and money if they wanna get rid of all of our work praising their franchise.

They shut down a lot of hard work and sacrifice, it's valied, it is, yes! why not having a little bit of respect for that hard working? why use it like that? Having that attitude of "It's mine I take what I want" of Hasbro, while it's valid, it's not ethical for them to do.

We are the ones that made MLP their most profitable franchise as of now, more than all the years that it's been out since creation. Why didn't they use a fanmade vector or one of the show's resourses images? why this image specifically? 

Well aren't you a bundle of joy?

A multicolored sunshine of joy and happiness that fills my body with positivism. 

• Brohoof 4

This thread appears to be related to the My Little Pony franchise and/or the Bronydom in general. Thus, it has been sentenced to Sugarcube Corner.<br /><br />This is an automatically generated message, by the way.

• Brohoof 1

@@Kyoshi, Just because the Golden Oaks Library is the Intellectual Property of Hasbro and DHX doesn't mean whoever photoshopped that background was ethically in the right to post it and not give Mane6 (the group responsible for the original fanart) credit. That background was something Mane6 designed for Fighting Is Magic. Taking an already drawn background, photoshopping it to make the fanart "appear" Hasbro's from the ground up, and not giving credit to Mane6 makes this piece blatant plagiarism, which is unethical, disrespectful,  and illegal. What Hasbro did was not cool, and it's objectively wrong to pull such a daft stunt, whether the original creation based off is fanart or not.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't be posting here in this thread.

Edited by Dark Qiviut
  • Brohoof 7

@@Kyoshi, Just because the Golden Oaks Library is the Intellectual Property of Hasbro and DHX doesn't mean whoever photoshopped that background was ethically in the right to post it and not give Mane6 (the group responsible for the original fanart) credit. That background was something Mane6 designed for Fighting Is Magic. Taking an already drawn background, photoshopping it to make the fanart "appear" Hasbro's from the ground up, and not giving credit to Mane6 makes this piece blatant plagiarism, which is unethical, disrespectful,  and illegal. What Hasbro did was not cool, and it's objectively wrong to pull such a daft stunt, whether the original creation based off is fanart or not.

If you didn't care, you wouldn't be posting here in this thread.

But what was created is completely, not loosely, based off of something that Hasbro owns. Regardless if it is fan art or not, what the fan art is about is something that is completely owned by Hasbro. Hell, Mane6 did not ask Hasbro permission to make Fighting is Magic, so why should Hasbro, the one who rightfully owns the IP, have to ask permission to use a background?

Also, I do not care, but I still gave my opinion, whether you like it or not. That argument is insanely tired. This post is an over dramatization and I gave my opinion about it.

I don't really care about them using a background from a video game or, anything else owned by Hasbro. Since, it doesn't really matter to anyone else at all then it shouldn't really be something that we see as something important.

Apparently you do enough to comment on this thread. :P

Ok, look I'm just saying it's alittle unfair to the original artist who made the background. I'm not trying to make Hasbro Evil, I was just saying it wasn't really fair to the Fighting is Witchcraft team.

Apparently you do enough to comment on this thread. :P

Ok, look I'm just saying it's alittle unfair to the original artist who made the background. I'm not trying to make Hasbro Evil, I was just saying it wasn't really fair to the Fighting is Witchcraft team.

Like I said to DQ, that is a pointless argument. I don't care about the situation as a whole, but that doesn't mean I am not allowed to give my opinion on the thread about the situation, which was over dramatizing it.

And my opinion this: Hasbro has every right to do that, because they own the original IP that the image is completely based off of and there is nothing in legal documentation whatsoever that the background is exclusively owned by the Fighting is Magic team. Hasbro has full right to do this, especially with this.

Hell, Mane6 did not ask Hasbro permission to make Fighting is Magic, so why should Hasbro, the one who rightfully owns the IP, have to ask permission to use a background?
It's not about asking for permission, and don't twist it up to make it look like I'm attempting to go to that route. Fanart or not, Mane6 drew it and has a history of crediting Hasbro and the show itself throughout most of their development. (While it doesn't protect them from a C&D, it's still common decency to do that at least.)

Here, Hasbro did not credit the fanart back. FIM and the Golden Oaks Library may be Hasbro's IP, but it's still common decency to actually credit Mane6 for the fanart drawing Hasbro used as the base for their photoshop and Facebook post. The Facebook post never gave Mane6 credit and claimed the piece — including the originally drawn fanart — as their own. Hell, the text describing the background stage scene — embedded at the bottom of the original page — is cropped off. You don't do that, whether you own the IP or not: It's illegal and unethical.

If the Facebook post credited Mane6 for the original fanart, then this controversy wouldn't have started.

Also, I do not care, but I still gave my opinion, whether you like it or not.
Like I wrote earlier, if you didn't care, you wouldn't have posted in here initially. Also, your "I gave my opinion" card doesn't keep you safe from having people like myself call you out for posting an unsubstantiated opinion.
  • Brohoof 4

That wasn't very nice considering their previous actions, though it was probably done by different people, and it's not super-horrible anyway.

I'm eager to see how this will stand legally.

If nothing else, it's pretty amusing.

Edited by Sweet Fidget
  • Brohoof 1

It's not about asking for permission, and don't twist it up to make it look like I'm attempting to go to that route. Fanart or not, Mane6 drew it and has a history of crediting Hasbro and the show itself throughout most of their development. (While it doesn't protect them from a C&D, it's still common decency to do that at least.)

Here, Hasbro did not credit the fanart back. FIM and the Golden Oaks Library may be Hasbro's IP, but it's still common decency to actually credit Mane6 for the fanart drawing Hasbro used as the base for their photoshop and Facebook post. The Facebook post never gave Mane6 credit and claimed the piece — including the originally drawn fanart — as their own. Hell, the text describing the background stage scene — embedded at the bottom of the original page — is cropped off. You don't do that, whether you own the IP or not: It's illegal and unethical.

If the Facebook post credited Mane6 for the original fanart, then this controversy wouldn't have started.

Like I wrote earlier, if you didn't care, you wouldn't have posted in here initially. Also, your "I gave my opinion" card doesn't keep you safe from having people like myself call you out for posting an unsubstantiated opinion.

It doesn't matter what Hasbro did. Hasbro owns the IP that this background is a complete recreation of. It doesn't matter what YOU think is moral or ethical, they have the say so, not you or me. It may have been a dick move, but it doesn't matter. This is how business goes.

• Brohoof 1

I find it ironic considering the circumstances surrounding the idea of using a "Fighting is Magic" background.  I completely understand WHY Hasbro shut down Fighting is Magic, even if I didn't like it.  But to use the assets from it... that's just hilarious.  As far as fairness and everything else goes, it really depends on how you define fairness.  One argument is that it's unfair for people to use the intellectual property of a company since they legally own it, you wouldn't want someone posting videos of you doing things that you didn't actually do would you? (movie maker and other digital alterations being used)

But that's just for the sake of argument of course.  I love the fan content, and it wouldn't be possible if everyone were strictly following the fair use laws or any of that.  Just keep in mind that there is more than one side to every story. 

Even if its legally OK for them to do this, its still a slap in the face to the creators and bronies alike, especially because they KNOW how upset the fandom was about Fighting is Magic. I'm quite displeased.

Edited by crazitaco
  • Brohoof 2

Well, I won't deny that it does kinda bother me since Hasbro themselves shut down the fan project and are now using something that came straight out of it for themselves. It's kinda like enjoying the spoils of war. Yes, the fans behind the project did rip the bg from the original show but it's not like they didn't put any work into it because of it. On the other hand, tho, I don't really think such a huge deal needs to be made out of it. The makers of the game weren't planning on making a profit on it and neither is Hasbro.