Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Being they're fancy, why aren't the Oranges in canterlot instead of manehatten?

Never2muchpinkie

Just something I was a little curious about. Manehatten is supposed to be like a copy of new york, hence why babs seed speaks with a brooklyn accent. However, the oranges, who live in the same town, seem out of place, acting more like the canterlot nobility than anything else.

On a side note, a post I saw on another site made a good point. If they're not farm workers, then why do they have orange related cutie marks?

I suppose it's because Manehatten is supposed to be the big city, so richer ponies might live there. Richer ponies could live nearly in any city, actually. 

To be fair, we didn't see much of them, so they could be farm workers. They could also sell oranges or something along those lines. They don't necessarily have to grow them themselves.

Canterlot might be fancy like France but Manehatten looks fancy when you look at the landmarks that they have. The oranges have orange cutie marks because maybe they supposedly own a company that manufactures oranges and sell them all around Equestria. The upper class ponies have many choices on which city or part of Equestria that they could spend their lives, and be as fancy as they choose to be.

Canterlot doesn't have a monopoly on upper-class people, y'know :P.

Also Manehattan seems to be predominately an earth pony city, where Canterlot definitely has a unicorn majority. The Oranges probably grew up there, or at least have relatives in the area.

• Brohoof 1

As already stated, other cities have upper class segments too.  The scenes with Applejack in the custody of the Oranges makes me wonder if there are any fanfics based on the Eloise books with AJ assuming the titular role. 

"Applejack at the Plaza" just doesn't have the same ring to it.  :P

Well, presumably Canterlot isn't the only city in Equestria with a wealthy merchant class. They had to spread the wealth around a little bit.

What's more interesting to me is, why aren't the Apples at least as well off as the Oranges? I mean, oranges are great, but if Equestria is like Earth it's safe to say at least as many apples are sold and eaten in the world as oranges.

But then, comparing Equestria and Earth is like APPLES TO ORANGES! Ha ha!

Allow me to hit myself for that pun. *smack* There.

Edited by TailsIsNotAlone

Your question is sort of like asking, "Why have a Park Avenue apartment in New York when they could be living in Beverly Hills?"

Like you said, Manehattan is like New York, and it has parts that are poor or middle class, and there are parts that are very wealthy. The Oranges probably live at the equivalent of Park Avenue or the Upper East side, and Babs might be from below 14th street.

I'm sure Manehatten has a few upper-class places around it.  Having all the upper-class ponies in one place - Canterlot - would be silly and unrealistic.

And they probably own an orange orchard.  They don't necessarily have to work on the orchard.  They probably have hired workers to work on it for them.

Canterlot is for a place for the nobility. Manehattan is for those who follow business. Medieval Times, anyone? There were the Nobles and the Merchants. The Nobles owned land, the Merchants were the back-then businessmen who looked to sell their stuff and make money out of it.

We can argue that Manehattan has many more rich people than Canterlot does. It just seems that way towards Canterlot because of the higher percentage of population in the higher class. Manehattan probably has more rich ponies because of their larger population. Larger populations can equate to greater opportunities.