Alicorn OC's..are they really that bad?

BlueVeil

If people think Alicorns are OP, i'll just rewrite Mal using 40k lore rules. Behold as my earth pony is now immune to magic, disease, biologically immortal and can kill gods and demons with his bare hooves. :P

Edited by Shire Pony Malinter
  • Brohoof 1

no_one_bucks_with_rainbow_dash_stamp_by_  

My OC's:  MalinterRahl, Vengeful impact & alias-the-marked-one

First fic i've written since forever here

"Defeating a sandwich only makes it tastier." most legendary quote ever.

No I didn't mean this against you Troblems, Im speaking in General terms. There are rarely any RPs in the regular section that even allow Alicorn OC's. I haven't really considered PMing GMs about it though.

Thank you for the input Troblems : )

Not trying to be sarcastic but I feel like I come across as such x.x so er sorry.

Well there is an easy way to solve the issue of too many Alicorn OCs if that is really a concern.

1. Limit 1 Alicorn OC per player

2. Have a total cap of Alicorn OCs for the RP (Maybe a total of 5 Alicorn OCs are allowed in a RP but no more then that or something)

3. Combine 1 and 2 together. So one person doesn't end up having like 5 alicorn OCs and no one else gets to RP their Alicorn OC

They think they're op but look at celestia and her fight against queen chrysalis clearly celestia lost so that proofs that alicorns are not op

Chrysalis had been juicing herself with love for weeks and her reactions was

"Holy crap! I did it!?"

"Aren’t we the same? You know, aren’t you carrying the same mindset as I am? Just because you couldn’t bear to lose, you lost your precious partner! You really call yourself a true duelist? You’re the complete opposite of that!" -Weevil Underwood

I never actually got lip for my OC Lightning Bliss, I worked very hard to keep her somewhat to a balanced point for cannon and alicorn fans as well as the brony community itself.

Alicons being specifically good at a magical trait with 10 times the force I will agree to, that's why my alicorn is the Alicorn of Peace. Her magic isn't really targed as she can 'automatically' stop a war or something, but her skills in negotiation alone. That is a magic in its own right, the ability to talk things out and calm the situation. Of course when all else fails, and the pain of seeing the segregation, hate and fear...Her magic will then react like a cannist to the imbalance of it all, and create an atmosphere of 'serenity' and 'calmness' to help her and those around her to calm down and see beyond the imbalance of the situation.

Some would say "oh its a form of brainwashing" then. Well I argue, how's creating an atmosphere of calmness brainwashing? Its peaceful, but characters can choose what they want to do with it, or in otherwords, it's not guarenteed to work.

Again this is something that currently happends without control of my OC's abilities. She was once a pegasus and has had no training in magic other then by some of her friends, OCs owned like by my friends Polaris. This in a way keeps her from being OP, but still gives her the chance o developement because she has to learn what it means to have magic.

I always accept critics and opinions on her, it helps me to improve her as an OC.

I'm just a silly little alicorn, trying to get by in the fandom ^^

sig-19227.SignatureAlicorn2_zpsb868001e.png

The Lightning Bliss Show

Lightning Bliss DevianArt

• 2 weeks later...

*Smashes horn into tree* WHYYYY!!!!

what have bronies got wrong with them? (about from the Mary Sue stuff that they all say) I know some alicorn ocs are bad but that does NOT mean every single alicorn oc is terrible JUST BECAUSE THEY ARE A ALICORN  :angry:

lets face it my oc Everleaf is a alicorn shes got flaws (many to be honest) shes not that powerful (if compared to a alicorn around Cadence I guess

her backstory is fine 

okay and stuff...

so why do some of you bronies hate alicorn ocs? I don't mind if you don't like em, I guess it's fine but why do you pretty much hate every single alicorn oc?

• Brohoof 2

The deepest of the Everfree!

I have nothing against them*Shrugs* I guess, most a annoyed, because in the show there are no really others then the 4 us known. While from every other race there could be millions out there.

But I have no problems with them.

Legends never die. Ponies neither.

blogentry-24406-0-80578900-1482254802.png

Rainbow Dash is best pony! Ava made by Pandora^^

I think this alicorn thing is because, Of what i've seen around DA and such, all the characters are extremely overpowered. Some of these also state that they are the most beautiful pony in equestria. 

I personally, dislike that kind of things. 

I say there should be more alicorn characters, but balanced and with a tasteful story. 

Other than that, I got nothing against alicorns. 

• Brohoof 1

• Alicorns are supposed to be rare
  • Awful Backstories/Mary Sue Qualities
  • The pony doesn't even need to be an alicorn. If the alicorn is weak or anything like that (or try to make excuses for him/her to be an alicorn), don't make him/her an alicorn, it's pointless.

pretty much nailed it right on the head.

• Brohoof 3

DZf4iNK.png

matching setups with my bff pathfinder

No one gets to decide what kind of OC you have / make except for YOU.  The opinions of others should be considered irrelevant when it comes to how you express yourself through an OC.  If you don't let those opinions bother you, then those ppl are simply wasting their own time and energy "hating" something that doesn't even exist.

Though I'm personally quite tired of the terms "Mary Sue" and "overpowered" being thrown around left and right.  They're often belittling and used to attack the creative products of others.

zbVhNRD.gif
"It uses the faculty of what you call imagination. But that does not mean making things up. It is a form of seeing." - from "The Amber Spyglass"

I think there's a misconception that a lot of bronies HATE alicorn OCs, when I don't really think that is the case. For me, I'm just much more critical of alicorn OCs because they need to be written very well and have a good visual design in order to overcome the stigmas that tend to come with alicorns i.e. a sense of elitism/"otherness", a tendency to be overpowered, their general rarity in the canon, etc. I've seen alicorn OCs that manage to acheive the balance needed to overcome those obstacles, but they tend to be the exception not the rule.

Something else to consider: I think that for many bronies, perhaps if only subconsciously, OCs are a way to put themselves out there to the other members of the fandom; regardless of who they actually are or how popular/shy/whatever they may be, OCs tend to put everyone on equal footing, to give everyone a fresh face with which to interact with their peers. Alicorn OCs can be seen as disruptive to that balance, and the introduction of this "elite" element could cause people think the Alicorn OC is trying to be "better" than everyone else and could explain why there is such a strong negative reaction. That's just my theory, anyway.

Edited by TenorSounds
  • Brohoof 1

Well my personal thoughts is that if you want a alicorn oc go ahead it's your oc if you don't like it fine 

not ALL alicorns are Mary Sue just many sometimes it can be hard to nail the right level in power

well who knows somewhere far off away form Equestria or somewhere in Equestria alicorns MIGHT be common 

we know not everyone can be a alicorn but it's a oc and it's not exactly in the show so personally I find it fine 

which I consider pretty badly written alicorns

black and red 

dragon/bat wings 

fangs

immortality 

more powerful than the sisters 

badly placed patterns

cat/dragon eyes

claws

no cutiemark

no/bad backstory

possibly evil for no reason

the size of Celestia or bigger

okay when the following it's okay to have one or two of them but adding up too many can end up Mary Sue now I will go though stuff for a good alicorn oc

in size go to the max of Cadence (or a little bigger) 

feathered alicorn wings (so not bad wings and stuff

normal eyes

a well written backstory

a personality in general 

a cutiemark (nothing too exiting)

with Everleaf I kept her pretty level not too powerful at all however not exactly weak a long time working on the backstory so on so I made sure she was alright not Mary Sue but not a bad excuse for a alicorn....

so personally that is one way to go with a alicorn oc...

I don't have anything against them. I even have one that's still a work in progress.  But I think most people hate them is because they're overpowered and stuff and if not a lot of bronies like overpowered ocs then doesn't that mean that there are none or not a lot?

I don't care what pony you like because I like everypony!

To me. Being an alicorn is just a random choice. As long as your character is who they are, then what does it matter what pony species they are? Alicorn OCs are often chosen just because they want their OC in their views to stand out. The fact that there's a lot of Mary Sue and overpowered ones is not much different then other overpowered OCs. I've seen Earth Ponies teleport, be immune to magic, super strong, whatever.

If someone decides to be an Alicorn just for the hell of it. Why even bother hating? Don't we see a lot of dragon OCs and Discord's species (forgot what they were called xD) , changelings, breezies, ect. 

An alicorn is a godlike figure in Equestrian lore. But if a character decides to play an alicorn, they can do what they want. There's nothing saying that it wouldn't work like that in the lore. Of course they are supposed to be rare. But here's the thing...When you make an Alicorn OC. You don't do it thinking about all of the other ones on the site. You do it thinking it would be cool to play an Alicorn in Equestria RP wise.  

The fact that they are rare still stands. But you don't see Alicorns everywhere i one RP (Unless it's insanely cheesy xD ) 

Let us all group hug! And this silly argument. When it comes down to it. The problems are with bad OCs and not Alicorns.  Alicorns are just a very easy way to make a Mary Sue, and thus become the main species for a lot of people that like godlike characters. That, and black magic unicorns.

Anyway, I promised a hug!   :yay:   Pwease?  :)

EDIT: Remembered a thing...Trust me. I know terrible Mary Sue Alicorn OCs...That one even gets praised on here -.-:

EDIT 2! Edit harder: I'm really really spiteful towards that OC if you couldn't tell xD Just can say that they've ruined RPs for me xD But I've had fun with Alicorns before ;)

Edited by Sugar Cuddles

Rx05pnG.gif

To me. Being an alicorn is just a random choice. As long as your character is who they are, then what does it matter what pony species they are? Alicorn OCs are often chosen just because they want their OC in their views to stand out. The fact that there's a lot of Mary Sue and overpowered ones is not much different then other overpowered OCs. I've seen Earth Ponies teleport, be immune to magic, super strong, whatever.

If someone decides to be an Alicorn just for the hell of it. Why even bother hating? Don't we see a lot of dragon OCs and Discord's species (forgot what they were called xD) , changelings, breezies, ect. 

An alicorn is a godlike figure in Equestrian lore. But if a character decides to play an alicorn, they can do what they want. There's nothing saying that it wouldn't work like that in the lore. Of course they are supposed to be rare. But here's the thing...When you make an Alicorn OC. You don't do it thinking about all of the other ones on the site. You do it thinking it would be cool to play an Alicorn in Equestria RP wise.  

The fact that they are rare still stands. But you don't see Alicorns everywhere i one RP (Unless it's insanely cheesy xD ) 

Let us all group hug! And this silly argument. When it comes down to it. The problems are with bad OCs and not Alicorns.  Alicorns are just a very easy way to make a Mary Sue, and thus become the main species for a lot of people that like godlike characters. That, and black magic unicorns.

Anyway, I promised a hug!   :yay:   Pwease?  :)

EDIT: Remembered a thing...Trust me. I know terrible Mary Sue Alicorn OCs...That one even gets praised on here -.-:

EDIT 2! Edit harder: I'm really really spiteful towards that OC if you couldn't tell xD Just can say that they've ruined RPs for me xD But I've had fun with Alicorns before ;)

*hugs* and I agree all the way my friend. :)

By the way. I love that your Alicorn is like a forest druid of sorts! :D It really shines on the aspect of them being more fey beings :)

thanks :) I took a fair lot of time working on her and I'm pretty happy with the results and as you said that is one of the things I was going for (well she is alicorn of the Everfree.) XD

Edited by Everleaf
  • Brohoof 1

@@Everleaf,  Kewlsies :D I have no excuse for my Alicorn's power or anything xD Then again, mine is more of a sona, made for jokes and laughs   :lol:  So I don't have any expectations of anyone complimenting her.

:lol:  okay even if she is a joke she need a bit of love. :3

need a bi
Don't worry. From my experience, she does get a lot of that! >u< *huggles* Pony chats are more fun when you can say "To hay with logic! I'm a deity!" and pull a balloon out from your mane c:

Then again. I tend to just sit calmly and brush people =u= Calm pony times. 

Rx05pnG.gif

Don't worry. From my experience, she does get a lot of that! >u< *huggles* Pony chats are more fun when you can say "To hay with logic! I'm a deity!" and pull a balloon out from your mane c:

Then again. I tend to just sit calmly and brush people =u= Calm pony times. 

*is randomly drawing a wolf that almost looks mlp style* yep agreed.