Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn OC's..are they really that bad?

BlueVeil

The point is sometimes people underestimate an alicorn oc until they get their asses kicked in RP. 

This is why I hate alicorn OCs. They're essentially god-modeling, and it's annoying when you're trying to have an all around fair rp.

I also hate alicorn OCs because they tend to lack story, or are too mary-sueish. Look, if an alicorn was done RIGHT, then I wouldn't hate it. But usually, they're power-players.

• Brohoof 8

This is why I hate alicorn OCs. They're essentially god-modeling, and it's annoying when you're trying to have an all around fair rp.

I also hate alicorn OCs because they tend to lack story, or are too mary-sueish. Look, if an alicorn was done RIGHT, then I wouldn't hate it. But usually, they're power-players.

Good reason! Never thought of it though. But first, what you're saying is that they have alicorn oc's to abuse the powers in RP?

Good reason! Never thought of it though. But first, what you're saying is that they have alicorn oc's to abuse the powers in RP?

Usually, when I'm in a roleplay, it is for that reason. Otherwise, it's just to make the OC seem cooler than to actually have a backstory.  And when we DO get a backstory, it's like: "Oh, I'm secretly Celestia and Luna's brother who was shunned because I was evil and I'm pure black with red eyes and have the powers of time and space." or something like that.

• Brohoof 5

I have to second Creativity's points (Although they were essentially my points as well, just more thought out than mine). There are rarely any good alicorn OCs, and they tend to all lack even somewhat decent backstories, talents, and even personalities! Honestly, the majority of the alicorn OCs I've seen are made by people who can't actually make a decent original character.

Basically yes, from what I've seen. Now, you don't have to have an alicorn OC to abuse power, a decent knowledge of your power is all that's required, but the trend seems to be that people with alicorn OCs a give their alicorns more power than anyone else in the RP, and get angry when their 'perfect' character is beaten by a more clever/inventive application of power in an attempt to prevent them from totally trivializing the rest of the cast or simply defeating everyone in the universe through brute force.
  • Brohoof 1

I have many oc's and one of them is an alicorn. I don't abuse my power. But originally my character was a pegasus. So I didn't march in a RP an say "IM AN ALICORN!". I think most RPers should experience with a regular pony then if they want make it do something in a RP to make them an alicorn. You know, just to be way more creative then going into a RP an alicorn.

I think there's hate on alicorn OC's because its not really fair.

So, first of all, which I'm pretty sure you've already been told, is well, they godmod. They could freaking fly and use magic while everypony else can only do one or the other or in some cases, neither. Even if the alicorn OC barely knew any magic spells, it's still not fair.

According to the show, apparently if you're an alicorn, you're automatically royalty. Therefore this might mean that alicorns could demand whatever they want.

This is mostly how I feel about this subject...

There may be some awesome alicorn OCs out there, but not as far as I'm concerned. But hey, I'm just one guy, with an earth pony OC, soooo no hard feelings? :squee:

• Brohoof 1

Well, when it comes to alicorn OCs, people technically just like to overdo it. They beef them up with very unecessary and unrealistic Mary Sue powers. I've got two alicorn OCs, both of which were born alicorns because of a mutation. 

Here's one of mine; a normal alicorn OC living in Canterlot,

melody_breeze_by_pikachu25sci95vt-d6jxrs

@

To put it simply, an OC needs a reason to be an alicorn. Or else it's pointless.

And with a reason also comes mary-sue'ish characters, because alicorns are basically ponies who have reached perfection. At least within their field.

I have many oc's and one of them is an alicorn. I don't abuse my power. But originally my character was a pegasus. So I didn't march in a RP an say "IM AN ALICORN!". I think most RPers should experience with a regular pony then if they want make it do something in a RP to make them an alicorn. You know, just to be way more creative then going into a RP an alicorn.

Honestly I don't really have anything against Alicorn OCs on their own, but the fact that their writers tend to use the whole alicorn status as a cop-out from doing things in interesting and fun ways. The greatest advice I've ever gotten was from someone on a Dungeons and Dragons forum who told me, "If you're ever going to horribly break the game, do it in a cool way. If you break the game in a fun way, then everyone can have fun, but never break it just for the sake of feeling powerful. If you do that then you can guarentee that no one else at the table is having a good time, and that's what we're all here for isn't it?"

This is mostly how I feel about this subject...

There may be some awesome alicorn OCs out there, but not as far as I'm concerned. But hey, I'm just one guy, with an earth pony OC, soooo no hard feelings? :squee:

I've seen that video, verpy opinionated! But she's so funny.

@,

Do you have a link to that alicorn OC of yours? I'm just curious as to what it's like.  

Haha! Sure, I could totally make a pretty picture of it.

@,

Well I meant more like it's back story and personality, not it's actual looks. Sorry for the miscommunication :P

Ohh. You know that forum that says: "OC Backstories"? I have mine there.

>alicorn

>>status of royalty

>"hey gais this is my alicorn oc mrs butterworth her special talent is being unoriginal and her mother was luna but she never met her father and shes dark but awesome and...[oh lord]

1. Alicorns are royalty, thus making the alicorn oc an overkill of the capability of making your own.

2. Most backstories, if not all are ridiculous.

3. >OP OCs.

4. Seriously why do you even want it to be an alicorn.

With alicorn OCs its kinda like being a god... An all powerful being that will crush any mortal OC.... (Ok maybe not really) but I think the main reason people choose Alicorns (or atleast my reason I would choose one) is because of a hard time choosing between flight or magic... Assuming the unicorn is a standard rank and file and the pegasus doesn't have some crazy artifact... But I personally don't care, as long as its not some "immortal being"...

(edited)

*Sighs*

I've been in an RP with OC alicorns, and my OC is an alicorn as well, but it took me months to develope her story so that she was a reasonable character, that wasn't OP, had a story that made sense, and could actually be likable or relatable.

In one RP however, here's my OC, trying ot keep a down low, doesn't want attention, can't even perform spells because she's never been trained, she was orginally a pegasus... Yet here was another alicorn OC encouraging me to "call upon the powers of Luna and destroy everypony in the RP" or to "quit hiding the fact your an alicorn and embrace your royal identity".

Well I got news for those OP alicorn OC's... mine is NOT a high class royal. Sure alicorns for majority are royal, and she is, but she's what you would call a class C princess? One that doesn't have a high status in the lands of Equestria, her magic only occurrs out of stress or if her life is in danger and all it really does is the following:

- Creates an aura of peace and serenity, to help calm those around her when they are angry or scared, as well as to help with negotiating.

That's it, that's all she does. She can teleport, and levitate things, but those are basic of unicorn magic. She's a small pony with huge ears and a gryphon tail, her job is basically to be a negotiator between an Eastern Gryphon Empire and the Dragons of the North as their negotiator. She helps keep the peace between all 3 speices as well, dragon, pony and gryphon. She basically does the low work that Celestia or Luna can't do because they are too busy running things in Equestria as a whole. You might as well compare my OC to a diplomat, but because she's an alicorn I assume she's recongized as a princess. But she keeps her profile on the down low, which is what I prefer. The last thing I want is for others to say "Your OC is an OP mary-sue the same as other alicorns". She lives in a cave with her dragon husband thats just off the edge of Ponyville. She hides the fact she's an alicorn (along with the rest of her bizarre looks) under her cape and hood when she can.

I HATE underdevloped alicorn OCs that do nothing but OP everypony else and don't make a lick of sense in their backstories.

EDIT: And the reason why I ascended my OC from pegasus to alicorn, is because i've gone through life changes recently that I wanted to emphanize through my OC. Find out more on my profile.

Edited by Lightning Bliss

As I've mentioned in a few other threads: all Alicorns we know of are royalty. Not just royalty though: they border on godhood: being literal embodiments of their aspect: Light, Darkness, Love and now, Harmony. By making an Alicorn, you're basically saying that you're character is the embodiment of its skills - that nobody else is allowed to have a character who is better at them at it. 

Celestia is the ultimate 'light' - so much so that she physically raises the sun every single day. Luna does likewise with darkness and the night. Princess Cadence is love - the ultimate manifestation of it. They even wield the elements of harmony - which symbolize that the wielders are the purest manifestations of this.

So, either you are conforming to these ideas and automatically declaring that you're character is literally the 'best' at what they do: effectively shutting down anyone else who decided to make a character with similar skills, or you're character does not fit in with established canon.

Going past this, there's the fact that typically, Alicorn OC's tend to belong to folks who simply wanted to add as much as they could to a character to make it 'cool' - an accessory, instead of a character. Expect to see:

- Unusual markings not seen elsewhere.

- Unusual colors (especially eyes)

- 'Cool' skills and professions that don't fit the setting: Assassins, Timelords, Bounty Hunters...

- Impossible, unique abilities: Can stop time, can drain all life, can summon armies of dragons...

To elaborate: it's not the fact that they are Alicorns - it's what they stand for, and the type of player they are associated with 99% of the time. If all the Alicorns I see are running around lamenting how they are orphans that will never get to know they dear parents - Luna and Sombra - between overwhelming any and every challenge they face? That tends to stick. Even without that fact though - there is still the issue of royalty, godhood and story-based overpoweredness.

My OC is an alicorn but she definitely isn't overpowered or royal or anythings,she's just an ordinary pony that designs video games and her mom was a unicorn and her dad was a Pegasus...dang...

It's really is a case of creating someone overpowered and trying to create a pony that is too much of a perfect self-insertion fantasy. Everyone is pretty much guilty of that to varying degrees (I myself created my OC as the pony I wish I could be) and it's not always bad, but with alicorn characters, you are basically making a pony that is either royalty or a God.

Hell, the three Alicorn OC's that I created are designed as supporting characters. One isn't really an alicorn, but an aged unicorn with mech-wings who serves as a mentor/leader.  The other is a legendary seer (her name is the Grey Oracle) and she serves as a damn quest point and is only good for small appearances and the last is Queen Void who was my attempt to create a villain and fill in a bit of untold Equestria history (and answer why the leaders are Princesses) but I thought she was a bit too grim/dark to use.

Alicorns are just too powerful.

Honestly, I don't really hate alicorn OCs. It's the fact people base them off the alicorns on the show. Personally I don't have a problem with them, but these are the things that do bother me:

-Based of show OCs

-Colors and style

-Hair type

-Blind in one eye or has a problem with horn or wing

-Last NO backstory

So... first if they have a blind eye of wing broke or something worn with their horn. Then there is no reason you should have it. Unless I say that it has a backstory say that there is an alicorn OC and supposedly Discord attacks them and the alicorn defeats him. but with the result of that he blinded the alicorn or broke its wing or horn.

I say that is an exception, but if they don't have a backstory they are useless.

This is an opinion you don't have to agree unless you agree with my opinion.

-MidnightStar

I've noticed that as well, however, I have 5 alicorn OC's, yet I go into depth into how they became that or [spoiler LOCK].

As of now, i don't have any OC's up, in the database, and show them, rather than roleplaying as them.

Personally, I feel that the only reason people make alicorn OCs in the first place is A.) they want an all-powerful character, or B.) they can't decide whether to make the character Earth Pony, Pegasus, or Unicorn, so they just say "hey, let's make it an alicorn!"

In the case of A.... No, just no. When that happens, the OC is almost always OP and it's just... I can't.

Now, B on the other hand... Well, I don't hate it in that case, but I'm still kind of... eh.

Basically, this is how I feel about alicorn OCs: Why? Your character could just as easily be one of the three 'normal' pony races. Personally, I make the decision based on personality, talent, or backstory in special cases.

The alicorns shown in canon are royalty. And I'm sorry, I find it hard to believe that alicorns can be just 'born.' Cadance and Twilight weren't born as alicorns - they earned the right to alicornhood through a great deed after learning all there is to know about what they represent (love and harmony, for these two respectively). Celestia and Luna might have been born as alicorns, but they are fricking goddesses, or close to being as such.

So unless your character performed a great deed and is raised to alicorn status, or they are gods/goddesses, you should consider making your OC a different race.

That's just my opinion, though. I like to stick to the canon. If you want to break the canon and make an alicorn OC anyway, that's alright, I guess... unless they're OP Mary-Sues/Gary-Stus.

• Brohoof 1