Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn OC's..are they really that bad?

BlueVeil

It might be possible for an alicorn OC to not be a Mary Sue, but most alicorn OC's seem to fall into one of these annoying categories:

• Overpowered
  • Has a broken horn or broken wings which makes being an alicorn plain out useless.
  • Neon Colors
  • Royalty
  • Related to the mane 6

As soon as someone makes an alicorn OC that DOESN'T fall into one of those categories...that certain alicorn OC will not be a Mary Sue. So, it's not necessarily the alicorn itself (unless it has eye-blinding neon colors), it's the backstory or personality type. Pegasi, Unicorns, Earth Ponies, and the other types can be Mary Sues as well, but it seems to be harder to do and easier to pull off. 

I've been dying to find this post from someone^^

alicorns are not over powered.  How many battleson the show has celestial won on the show?  here's a hint,it's 0.

You are mistaken to call a Alicorn mary sue on it's face sir.

Mary sue is the embodyment of a fantasy of a girl with god like power.  I submit to you that pinacle is Alicorn.

IF anything people should stop saying mary sue for over powered female characters, and call them alicorns.

BAM Instant disruption in the space time contimuem, sense we just disproved that alicorns are not over powered.^^

Here's my problem with a Alicorn OC pony.

I think having a OC pony schemeing to be come alicorn is a fantastic idea.  Why would you skip that?  The rides half the fun ^^

• Brohoof 1

What makes me hate them is when people just make them normal ponies. Yes, you read right, I hate it when alicorns are normal ponies. Like, would ponies make fun of an alicorn? Nope. Then don't make your pony's backstory include others teasing them. Like, what? Most seem to worship or at least respect the alicorns (Whether because they're kind, or because they're afraid of getting killed). And regularly living in Ponyville. Everypony would act shocked upon encountering the alicorn, not just walk past like "Hey, look, an alicorn, a very rare species that only princesses are. I'll just ignore her and walk away."

And what's even worse - ponies teasing the alicorn for even being an alicorn. What? Luckily, this is almost never used, only in one fanfiction I read. Also, I hate it when the creator doesn't even include a reason for the alicorn for being that way, or give reasons like "Her mother was a pegasus while her father was a unicorn." If alicorns worked that way, then I wouldn't really watch the show anymore. I like alicorns when they're unique, not just some regular ol' thing. Besides, we have plenty of pegasus-unicorn ships. Does that mean that they simply must have an alicorn child? No. Mr and Mrs Cake have pegasus and unicorns somewhere in their lineage, but they don't have an alicorn foal.

In general, normal alicorn OCs - just no. That would take too much time to develop properly without writing a 10 thousand word fanfiction.

@, no offence, even though you have an OC that fits 2 of these traits.

Another thing to put into perspective is that they are a royal only race (at least from what's seen on the show.) This means that alicorns are not only super rare, but they are also only royalty. This automatically kicks any "regular" alicorn OCs (non royalty) far away from canon, and that's why they aren't liked. Non royal alicorn ocs just don't fit in with the show's canon.

Yes. This is so true.

• Brohoof 3

Question, why do you all care so insanely much about how someone characterizes what is basically nothing more but their web avatar? As I have said before, as long as they don't crash your roleplaying with Mary Sues, so what if they are "overpowered with a dark neoncolored past"? It's their OC, not yours.

My Ex-Boyfriend had an Alicorn OC, And we're still great mates, So I'm a little biased to say yes. I mean, They're great in RP's because they can fly away from danger and their Magic can help non-pegasi or non-unicorn ponies to cross ravines, fight, ect.

And a lot of the time they're adorable. That has come across a few times, Especially OC's. But for instance, Look at Luna - some of the fan art of her makes me want to explode, It's so cute! So I don't think they're that bad - Them being over powered and all kind of makes sense, But you just gotta be CREATIVE to combat them, if that makes sense :P

Question, why do you all care so insanely much about how someone characterizes what is basically nothing more but their web avatar? As I have said before, as long as they don't crash your roleplaying with Mary Sues, so what if they are "overpowered with a dark neoncolored past"? It's their OC, not yours.

Well to use D and D term, cause A Alicorn should be a prestege class.

Cause it's something that ought to be earned.

Imagine a star wars forum where every nutter had "dark lord of the sith " in there title.

It would delude the mystic.

• Brohoof 1

Alicorn OCs are just about as bad as any OC to be honest. They just get get handled poorly with power scaling, people make them something they're not.

You can make any form of Pony Overpowered and dumb, people should be able to create whatever they want even if it's dumb. You don't have to include them in your Roleplay. 

• Brohoof 1

Alicorn OCs are just about as bad as any OC to be honest. They just get get handled poorly with power scaling, people make them something they're not.

You can make any form of Pony Overpowered and dumb, people should be able to create whatever they want even if it's dumb. You don't have to include them in your Roleplay. 

I think OP Gets to much hate.

you can be terribly annoying and under powered,

look at chris thorn Dyke.

Being utterly useless is more annoying than mary sue.  Or at least it can be.

• Brohoof 1

Well to use D and D term, cause A Alicorn should be a prestege class.

Cause it's something that ought to be earned.

Imagine a star wars forum where every nutter had "dark lord of the sith " in there title.

It would delude the mystic.

Well it's just a self-portrait, I honestly wouldn't have minded it if a big bunch of people made themselves characters that ruled the entire galaxy. They are just having fun, so as long as they don't try to "rule over us puny enemies of Teh Empier" or something silly like that, why not let them have their fun?

• Brohoof 1

I am ashamed at my alicorn oc he has a boring story: He is a survivor of the alicorn/draconequus war, he was just a filly when he saw his father and mother die right in front of them because his parents were protecting him and his two friends: Celestia and Luna. Celestia and Luna's parents are still alive(but far away). His name is Supernova Shock because he was born in a supernova. He is a natural born alicorn, not made like Cadence and Twilight, but he is not as powerful as Celestia and Luna, but one special ability is that he can cause supernovas.

I hate alicorn oc haters! My oc is alicorn princess of comedy but she's the polar opposite of a mary sue. She's not related to anyone, normal height, and has average unicorn powers. (She was born a pegasus.) She has a signature spell that's really cool but that's really all you can hold against her.   :blush:

Well, the reason why alicorn OC's are bullshit is because theyre usually Mary/ gary sues. or they have their wings and horn both when they where born, or some shit. and in the 13 episode of season 3 becomeing an alicorn involves 

1. being the student of princess celestia! seriously...  :mellow:

2. know the magic of friendship and show it >_>

3. do the special spell that you exclusively know if Celestia approves or something like that -_-

4. and i bet have to be SOME part of royalty, because techically or actually legally Twilight is Cadences sister because her brother married her. and a big reason is because twi was celestias student, like i mentioned earlier, so thats two things that made twi able to become an alicorn.  :okiedokielokie:

oh and 5. ALICORNS ARE ALWAYS CANON CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

so there you have it my thoughts on all this alicorn stuph. hope you understand tthat i hate alicorn OC's :umad:

Edited by PelateOvercast

Since a few people are defending alicorn OCs also have one, let me question you back. Is multiple people criticizing how your alicorn OC is bad, and in all honestly, do you REALLY believe your OC is a Mary Sue? Don't try to say it's good because of how your OC is totally not Mary Sue. Convince us for us. Using your OCs is just a cheap excuse.

And though I'm slightly biased against them, I have to admit that a few are ideal. Fallout Equestria and Past Sins have alicorn OCs. The former has a pretty good reason: a number of ponies want to create alicorns without the Princesses power, so they use technology and magic.

Another fact to clear: It's still possible to be Mary Sue even if your OC is not an alicorn. Don't act like you're home free because of that.

Well, the reason why alicorn OC's are bullshit is because theyre usually Mary/ gary sues. or they have their wings and horn both when they where born, or some shit. and in the 13 episode of season 3 becomeing an alicorn involves 

1. being the student of princess celestia! seriously...  :mellow:

2. know the magic of friendship and show it >_>

3. do the special spell that you exclusively know if Celestia approves or something like that -_-

4. and i bet have to be SOME part of royalty, because techically or actually legally Twilight is Cadences sister because her brother married her. and a big reason is because twi was celestias student, like i mentioned earlier, so thats two things that made twi able to become an alicorn.  :okiedokielokie:

oh and 5. ALICORNS ARE ALWAYS CANON CHARACTERS!!!!!!!!!!!! :angry:

so there you have it my thoughts on all this alicorn stuph. hope you understand tthat i hate alicorn OC's :umad:

1. Chances are that being a student of Celestia isn't going to give you much extra privilege.

3. Celestia won't just give you the spell, otherwise other ponies are going to wreak havoc with their alicorn powers.

Your grammar and spelling is poor too, by the way. You don't make much sense at all.

• Brohoof 1

Since a few people are defending alicorn OCs also have one, let me question you back. Is multiple people criticizing how your alicorn OC is bad, and in all honestly, do you REALLY believe your OC is a Mary Sue? Don't try to say it's good because of how your OC is totally not Mary Sue. Convince us for us. Using your OCs is just a cheap excuse.

I've already submitted my alicorn OC for judgment (see post #23 above).  I think it is a false generalization to say that all alicorn OC's are horrible, even if mine doesn't quite "make the cut" of being considered a good character by others.  While the alicorn character concept is very easy to do badly, it would be just as easy to make a ridiculously over-powered earth pony. 

Since the concept of the "Mary Sue" is pretty central to this discussion, I think this article, which explains the sexist underpinnings of the concept, is relevant.

I've been dying to find this post from someone^^

alicorns are not over powered.  How many battleson the show has celestial won on the show?  here's a hint,it's 0.

You are mistaken to call a Alicorn mary sue on it's face sir.

Mary sue is the embodyment of a fantasy of a girl with god like power.  I submit to you that pinacle is Alicorn.

IF anything people should stop saying mary sue for over powered female characters, and call them alicorns.

BAM Instant disruption in the space time contimuem, sense we just disproved that alicorns are not over powered.^^

Here's my problem with a Alicorn OC pony.

I think having a OC pony schemeing to be come alicorn is a fantastic idea.  Why would you skip that?  The rides half the fun ^^

Idk, i'd have to say that considering Celestia has been the prime defense of Equestria aside from her unicorn guards for over 1000 years as well as heading her own magic school for gifted unicorns how can Celestia not be ~possibly~ overpowered? She lost 1/1 fights. Though this is 100% of the battles shown in the show this doesnt mean she isnt overpowered. Chrysalis could easily be MORE overpowered than her in that particular battle (This happens in LOTS of shows with mythical/anime-like characters).

You didnt disprove anything because you arent understanding the problem. The problem with a lot of fanfiction/OCs/Amateur writers is that their original characters are not written to have unique and believeable flaws/conflict. This often means that original characters are at risk of becoming Mary Sues. This argument does not only address Alicorns, but all types of characters as a whole. (In an Alicorn case this could be even worse if an Alicorn is written to be a Mary Sue as well as being overpowered. This combination is the formula an uninteresting character.)

Edited by Captain Brony (MG11)
  • Brohoof 1

Eh, I can see why some wouldn't like them, seeing as alicorns are supposed to be somewhat rare. But I don't buy the overpowered argument. Any Alicorn OC is no more OP than Celestia or Luna or especially Discord.

But eh, I have an Alicorn OC though. Don't like it? well...too bad. :P

I know Discord isn't an Alicorn, but he is still ridiculously powerful.

Edited by Bright Honor

I find it easier to make born alicorns,They can still have power,but not too much to the point of royalty.It makes sense for them to overpower them because alicorns like Celestia and Luna have so much control over everything.the_problem_with_alicorns_by_whiteeyedca

As said,alicorns are almost godlike.

I'm one who tends to dislike alicorn OC's.

In the show there are 4 alicorns. Four. Thats it, no more.Alcorns are special, They are not background ponies. If they were a race in the series then I would be more accepting of them.

I would rather see someone take the time to make an interesting unicorn, pegasus, or Earth pony. Alicorns seem to be a shortcut to excel over all things Equestrian. It is odd to try and fit an alicorn into an everyday RP, where everyone ignores his uniqueness.

Alicorns as OCs just seem...munchkin to me. Make a real character. Yes you will be limited, but so are all the great characters in literature. You can't be everything. Magic is for unicorns. Flight is for Pegasus. Choose what you want to play as and be creative.

Alicorns are just...no. don't go there.

Edited by Silverhoof
  • Brohoof 3

I actually don't have a problem with alicorns. Even twilight. I can although understand why they're angry about it. She wasn't a natural born alicorn so... Wtf.

But I'll just trust the writers. They've made some weird ass decisions I'm the past, but they all turned out to benefit the show. Maybe in S4 we can get a nightmare moon prequel. Oh a pony can dream /)^3^(\

The problem with alicorn OCs is that first off, they're rare. When people make an OC and just plop them without a legitimate reason, it makes them superior over the ponies and ruins the roleplay. It applies to any pony, regardless of their physical appearance.

The second problem is that the only ponies we have seen in the show who are alicorns are princesses. You need to go that route if you want them to be an alicorn based on canonical facts. Unfortunately, not a lot of people do, which makes them even more annoying.

I'll quote a person from another roleplay forum because it applies well to alicorn OCs:

"Let's face it, without adding depth to anything, like your world or your characters, they could easily be too similar to continue playing for long without getting bored. But if you learn to add that third dimension to your characters, you can play a great game for decades and never tire of it." 

The big problem is that alicorn OCs don't really have depth. You don't add a good backstory to the OC, which makes the character very bland. Thus, a really good roleplayer can make a very good alicorn OC. 

• Brohoof 2

The problem with alicorn OCs is that first off, they're rare. When people make an OC and just plop them without a legitimate reason, it makes them superior over the ponies and ruins the roleplay. It applies to any pony, regardless of their physical appearance.

The second problem is that the only ponies we have seen in the show who are alicorns are princesses. You need to go that route if you want them to be an alicorn based on canonical facts. Unfortunately, not a lot of people do, which makes them even more annoying.

I'll quote a person from another roleplay forum because it applies well to alicorn OCs:

"Let's face it, without adding depth to anything, like your world or your characters, they could easily be too similar to continue playing for long without getting bored. But if you learn to add that third dimension to your characters, you can play a great game for decades and never tire of it."

The big problem is that alicorn OCs don't really have depth. You don't add a good backstory to the OC, which makes the character very bland. Thus, a really good roleplayer can make a very good alicorn OC.

Have you read past sins? I thought that was a good alicorn story. It was a bit much for MLP, but it got the story across quite well.

I made a post explaining in detail why my zebralicorn ponysona is not a mary sue, and I didn't just use "it's my character, and it's not bad!" as an excuse.

he was just a filly when he saw his father and mother die right in front of them

Please check your horse/pony terminology.  A filly is a female foal.  xP

I made a post explaining in detail why my zebralicorn ponysona is not a mary sue, and I didn't just use "it's my character, and it's not bad!" as an excuse.

Please check your horse/pony terminology. A filly is a female foal. xP

Your OC isn't necessarily bad... He just looks weird to me. A zebra horse with wings and a horn... Wut? When did you make this character?

Your OC isn't necessarily bad... He just looks weird to me. A zebra horse with wings and a horn... Wut? When did you make this character?

I know it looks like a ton of crazy, but, as I explained before, the parts on the character's body represent different aspects of my personality, and when I tried to make it less "cluttered" it didn't feel right to me anymore.

This "character" has been my ponysona for two years, since I first became a brony.

Actually, I think it had only a horn and no wings for about the first week, but I added the wings soon after.  The cutie mark also used to be purple, but I changed it to blue to fit my relaxed nature.

Hmm... They aren't bad... They're just... Hmm... Simple. Everyone can do an alicorn. Overpower, beautiful pony, which does only epic and good things. Of course maybe people could do some defects, but they're simple, like love cookies :3

I don't like alicorn OC's cause author doesn't straining himself.

The most epic is do OC, which is normal, not related to the mane 6. And hasn't got any super powers. I know that I am not talking about that what I should, but I must say this. I readed somewhere that the best OC's can be a background pony. So... 

No... They aren't bad if they have got normal story, without any royal stuff and Ultra-Magic-Accidents. If somebody wants to do an alicorn, he/she must do his/her best. You must motivate alicorn pony. No "He born in royal family and he is an alicorn." It doesn't work this way.

So... In sum... You can do an alicorn, if:

- You have great idea for a story.

- You will motivate this.

And that stuff.