Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is G5 really that bad?

CastletonSnob

• 3 weeks later...
On 2023-09-03 at 9:47 PM, Twitchy-Tremor said:

I think people over reacted to them not being a continuation of g4 or the characters not being in it. I do like g4 better but g5 is good too. 

These past 2 chapters showed G5 really stepped up their game :kirin:. Hey, I LOVE G5 is a sequel to FIM, but it would suck if it wasn’t up to standard :kindness:

• Brohoof 1

On 2023-05-17 at 10:38 PM, Misty Shadow said:

We can do this until the end of time if you want, no. Don't care how many times I have to say it, people need to be less critical of it. Bronies have never been good at being self-aware of the kind of show they love to criticize so much, and that lack of self-awareness has gotten way, WAY worse with the debut of this new generation. They don't even get the point of it, they can't let FiM go, they just want FiM cloned in their image. I have not seen ONE well-grounded argument explaining how anything from G5 is worse than fine. I just keep seeing the same spiel about how it "broke the lore", how Tell Your Tale's animation is cheap, how the plots are "childish" to them, how there are phones in it, and how there's toilet humor in TYT. I've beaten into the ground about how this is a young kids show and how MLP was never lore-heavy, so how about something new?

I've been watching a lot of the internet's favorite young kids show lately, Bluey. Bluey is aimed at an even younger audience, has cheap animation, has a lot of "childish" plots with episodes focusing on Bluey wanting to entertain herself with kiddy games and the grown-ups going to absurd lengths to play along with those kiddy games, has smartphones and tablets, and A LOT of toilet humor. But I'm supposed to love Bluey and hate G5 because the internet said so, sure. Yeah, that's another thing, I am sick of people acting like these "problems" aren't just standard practice for kids shows. And do you really think the kids are unhappy with G5, "not falling" for the supposed pandering? Do you know what the most popular TYT episode of this year has been so far? 

https://www.youtube.com/@MLPTYTEnglish/videos

SparkysSickPopular.jpg.2dcd71b9049cc0f3e007a26bdad2c3f7.jpg

YES. The kids love what so many adult fans consider to be the worst episode of the series. What does this tell you? The views expressed by the overly critical (and to be brutally honest, normally critical) part of our fandom DO NOT reflect the views of the general consensus. It is time for us to mature, stop being so bitter about something that is making people happy, and move forward. 

Still fully agree with this. Just make a sidenote of the fact that I like Bluey, more than I did back when I wrote this, and I stand by this even more strongly. Even I can't believe that Sparky's Sick already has almost two million views now on the TYT channel. :PIPPIPHURRAY: 

SparkysSickAlmostTwoMillion.jpg.f9b8a91b86e461919c8a4b274dbc54b9.jpg

But more importantly, we've now seen the recent increase in quality of the Make Your Mark chapters and more demand than ever for production on 3D G5 content to continue. Not only that, but with the reveal of MYM Chapter 2 making it into the Top 10 Netflix Kids Show charts at a time when G5 negativity was at its peak, it's become more apparent than ever before that the overly critical part of our fandom does not speak for the majority of G5's audience. 

Edited by Misty Shadow
Another detail and slight rewording.
  • Delighted Giggle 1
  • Sad 1

while I do <3 the continuance of quality pony, I understand why it doesn't gel with everypony

what a lot of people loved about FiM like that FiM was good at creating the feeling of a living world with both characters that were immediate background to the Mane characters, as well as a broader living world in which the characters lived. Berrow and G5 are more character-centric - the world clearly bends to the characters. If you start thinking about the immediate background chars then they become ghost-like beings with no personality, mutely waiting for the mane characters to do things before going about their lives D: like living ponnequins!

12 minutes ago, North Star said:

while I do <3 the continuance of quality pony, I understand why it doesn't gel with everypony

what a lot of people loved about FiM like that FiM was good at creating the feeling of a living world with both characters that were immediate background to the Mane characters, as well as a broader living world in which the characters lived. Berrow and G5 are more character-centric - the world clearly bends to the characters. If you start thinking about the immediate background chars then they become ghost-like beings with no personality, mutely waiting for the mane characters to do things before going about their lives D: like living ponnequins!

I do completely understand why it doesn't appeal to everyone despite how much I've stuck up for it. However, regarding background characters, G5 is actually known well for bringing background characters up to the spotlight. Jazz? Rufus? Onyx? It's only been two years, and those characters have already made a big name for themselves through things they actually say and do in the show, not through "Where's Waldo?"-style observations made by fans.

• Brohoof 2

1 hour ago, Misty Shadow said:

I do completely understand why it doesn't appeal to everyone despite how much I've stuck up for it. However, regarding background characters, G5 is actually known well for bringing background characters up to the spotlight. Jazz? Rufus? Onyx? It's only been two years, and those characters have already made a big name for themselves through things they actually say and do in the show, not through "Where's Waldo?"-style observations made by fans.

ooh, that's true about Jazz! that voice <3 although having watched quite a bit of G5 I don't know the others as well, will have to look them up

edit Rufus is the magician pony :3 I remember him now

Hoofdini.webp.3a47877fbd7b00e8529e9dc210d9a926.webp

Onyx is who I thought Jazz was :D it's Onyx who I love! She's a Maud reference! I get it now.

Onyx_MYM_ID.thumb.webp.7e03d8572582d7b49aaa30cac7aacdfc.webp

So who is Jazz?

Jazz_Hooves_ID_MYM03.webp.7950a32c440dcca0b45278f9bd7e1b70.webp

She's the hooficurist? She is quite sweet I suppose... but I'm not sure she's up there with the background chars of FiM, like Carrot Top etc

Edited by North Star
  • Brohoof 3

I don't think it's THAT bad. I just hate the fact that it takes place a thousand years after G4. That's the main problem I have. Had it been set in a completely new universe and time, then it would have been a much different story. :(

Also, what's with those designs? :eww:

• Hugs 2

• 2 weeks later...

I think I need to update my thoughts a little.  While I don't think Chapter 4 of MYM is as strong as some seem to think it is, I definitely agree with the sentiment that things really improve in Chapter 5.  It's not perfect by any stretch, but it has some decent character moments, and more or less provides some storytelling that's more in line with what I've been wanting from G5.  However, there are still a ton of problems that plague this generation, and I'm not sure I would recommend it to my Brony friends, as it's quite a slog to get to the latest, half-decent chapter of MYM, especially if one has to binge over 60 episodes of TYT as well.  Still, credit where it is due, and I must acknowledge that it is improving.  

• 1 month later...

I think for now, G5 is really not good enough compared to G4, but that doesn’t mean G5 is bad.
One reason is that the G5 hasn't had enough content so far.
To me the characters of G5 are interesting and I like the characters of G5 so much.
And the G5 also has some good stories.
3DCG can express many things that 2D animation cannot. I think this allows creators to do something different, which I think is good.

Edited by Felis Amafeles
  • Brohoof 1
  • Hugs 2

Of course it's terrible.
Starting from the fact that G5 completely destroys the legacy of G4 and shows the writers’ lack of understanding of the lore of FiM itself (Twilight somehow inexplicably lost to the most inept and stupid Opaline), ending with the mediocre 3D animation (have you seen these plastic ponies? these acidic colors? and the dragons? this is generally terrible), the development of the characters (the most “positive” Maine 5, you can insert a meme with that gnome and the rainbow) and the plot.
It raises a bunch of questions and gives no answers.
It's just a shame.

Edited by Kantet
  • Brohoof 2

• 3 weeks later...

Bad? Absolutely not! The characters are three dimensional (figuratively and literally), the lessons are good to teach, the world building is fantastic, the lore rich, and splitting the slice of life comedy of TYT from the interesting and mostly serious storytelling of MYM and, by extension SoS, was the smartest decision by the staff writers.

• Brohoof 2

I feel like it gets undue hate because it’s somewhat related to G4 in universe. It leads to a lot of people directly comparing them or hating G5 because it’s not just more of G4. Which I don’t think is necessarily fair. Especially since for a lot of us we probably look at G4 with rose tinted glasses to a degree thanks to nostalgia or growing up with the series in my case.

So no, I don’t think it’s that bad. The movie was great, TYT is cute but can be kinda hit or miss, and MYM is good (especially recently) but who knows if it’s going to continue at this point.

At the end of the day it’s more silly horse content, which is hard for me to hate. I don’t need MLP to be super serious or anything, just having a light hearted, fun to watch show that’s a nice distraction from real life is enough for me.

• Brohoof 4

On 12/2/2023 at 3:22 AM, Smart Heart said:

Bad? Absolutely not! The characters are three dimensional (figuratively and literally), the lessons are good to teach, the world building is fantastic, the lore rich, and splitting the slice of life comedy of TYT from the interesting and mostly serious storytelling of MYM and, by extension SoS, was the smartest decision by the staff writers.

He's not bad, he's terrible. Lessons that were taught better in G4. Besides, repeating the same thing is not very good; it is an indicator that the writers have no ideas.
3D characters? And what? Why did you decide that 3D is automatically better than 2D? The animation quality in G5 is terrible, the ponies look plastic (not to mention the dragons). The color palette is oversaturated, the colors are too acidic.
What a rich world and lore? Very few locations are shown.
What is the interest and “serious narrative” of MYM? I really don't understand.
I felt like I had read an advertising brochure.

Ok, so I exaggerated. But at least certain plot points have satisfying payoffs and Opaline is a well-written and her punishment was well-deserved. And it’s not like the color palette in FIM was Owl House level subtle and dark. Plus, with the start of Secrets of Starlight, there might be other dimensions to explore. In the end, I have high hopes for G5 and no one will convince me otherwise.

• Brohoof 1
  • Excited 1

20 hours ago, Kantet said:

He's not bad, he's terrible. Lessons that were taught better in G4. Besides, repeating the same thing is not very good; it is an indicator that the writers have no ideas.
3D characters? And what? Why did you decide that 3D is automatically better than 2D? The animation quality in G5 is terrible, the ponies look plastic (not to mention the dragons). The color palette is oversaturated, the colors are too acidic.
What a rich world and lore? Very few locations are shown.
What is the interest and “serious narrative” of MYM? I really don't understand.
I felt like I had read an advertising brochure.

DONT FORGET SPIKE!!

AN EPISODE OF SPIKE IS AUTO BAD!!

SPIKE IS THE PROOF THAT GEN 5 IS BAD!!! EVERYPONY WAKE UP FROM THE TRUTH GEN 5 IS PRACTICALLY SLAPPING SPIKE ON YOUR FACE!!!

6 hours ago, Smart Heart said:

Ok, so I exaggerated. But at least certain plot points have satisfying payoffs and Opaline is a well-written and her punishment was well-deserved. And it’s not like the color palette in FIM was Owl House level subtle and dark. Plus, with the start of Secrets of Starlight, there might be other dimensions to explore. In the end, I have high hopes for G5 and no one will convince me otherwise.

SPIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKEEEEEE!!!!!????

• Brohoof 1
  • Shocked 1

12 hours ago, Smart Heart said:

And where is this “well-written” Opaline? I just didn’t see this, I couldn’t even perceive her as a villain. What did she even manage to do during the entire arc? Just kidnap Spike at the end and that's it? Even Cozy Glow is written better in G4

5 hours ago, StrawberryMilk Simp said:

DONT FORGET SPIKE!!

AN EPISODE OF SPIKE IS AUTO BAD!!

SPIKE IS THE PROOF THAT GEN 5 IS BAD!!! EVERYPONY WAKE UP FROM THE TRUTH GEN 5 IS PRACTICALLY SLAPPING SPIKE ON YOUR FACE!!!

SPIIIIIIIIKKKKKKKEEEEEE!!!!!????

Yes... I don’t even take into account its design - it’s quiet horror, some kind of foam pony-dragon. And also considering that the viewer expected that Spike would be able to tell everything in detail, but again nothing, he said nothing and doesn’t remember anything (for some reason, apparently the writers still haven’t been able to figure out how to ruin the world, built in G4).

1 hour ago, Felis Amafeles said:

I think the G5 is good, but Spike really doesn't feel very good:Sunny-huh:

G5 is the worst

Edited by Kantet

26 minutes ago, Metemponychosis said:

There are a few things that rube me the wrong way. One of them are the magical wings instead of actual wings. Is there a reason for that?

Maybe they’ve decided they wanted to take their time for “Sunnycorn”, but opted to give her a temporal transformation for the time being. Once Sunny becomes an actual princess, I’m expecting her to become a permanent alicorn. Solid wings, horn, and all :mlp_icwudt:

• Brohoof 2