Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn OC's..are they really that bad?

BlueVeil

- but most alicorn OC's seem to fall into one of these annoying categories:

• Has a broken horn or broken wings which makes being an alicorn plain out useless.

I understand the other categories, but I've never seen this one, and how does it make the OC a Mary Sue/Gary Stu (Sympathy Card from main characters?)?

Back on topic, as most others have said, Alicorn OC's are often hated because they're either too overpowered, have a dark past, for no reason, and/or are best friends with everypony, except the ones the author doesn't like.

I know it looks like a ton of crazy, but, as I explained before, the parts on the character's body represent different aspects of my personality, and when I tried to make it less "cluttered" it didn't feel right to me anymore.

This "character" has been my ponysona for two years, since I first became a brony.

Actually, I think it had only a horn and no wings for about the first week, but I added the wings soon after.  The cutie mark also used to be purple, but I changed it to blue to fit my relaxed nature.

Your aardwolf doesn't have wings, You gave you zebracorn wings because it was crazy cool. Not a legitimate reason to be an alicorn.

Twilight and cadence demonstrated that alicorn status is earned, not born.

and making a zebra a yellow alicorn is exactly what people here were talking about with garish color schemes.

Reading your alicorn's justification gave me the impression you were really building a unicorn, and added wings for the heck of it.

I suggest you start again with a new OC (I have two). Keep it simple, just a unicorn. And put yourself in the backstory/history and not in physical attributes. There are some great OCs here at MLP forums. Look for the links to them in sigs, do a little reading every time you log on. Its how I've been passing the time.

• Brohoof 1

Your aardwolf doesn't have wings, You gave you zebracorn wings because it was crazy cool. Not a legitimate reason to be an alicorn.

Twilight and cadence demonstrated that alicorn status is earned, not born.

and making a zebra a yellow alicorn is exactly what people here were talking about with garish color schemes.

Reading your alicorn's justification gave me the impression you were really building a unicorn, and added wings for the heck of it.

I suggest you start again with a new OC (I have two). Keep it simple, just a unicorn. And put yourself in the backstory/history and not in physical attributes. There are some great OCs here at MLP forums. Look for the links to them in sigs, do a little reading every time you log on. Its how I've been passing the time.

You say you read it, but I think you must have just skimmed it, because I did say in the "Rainshine has wings" section that I actually removed the wings for a while and that it didn't feel right.  

The "yellow" colour (which is actually supposed to be a pale/tan colour but came out looking a bit too yellowish when I drew it in Flash) is actually the colour of an aardwolf.  My ponysona has the exact same pattern and colour scheme as my regular fursona, and that is absolutely never going to change.

The point of my ponysona (notice how I haven't been using the term "OC"?  That's because this isn't just a character) is to be a representation of myself, not to be used in roleplaying or fanfictions.  I have other characters for that.  Sundae, Chokaa, and Night Shock are open for critique and editing, but not Rainshine, unless I actually change myself.

The point of my ponysona (notice how I haven't been using the term "OC"? That's because this isn't just a character) is to be a representation of myself, not to be used in roleplaying or fanfictions. I have other characters for that. Sundae, Chokaa, and Night Shock are open for critique and editing, but not Rainshine, unless I actually change myself.

I respect the fact that this character is not going to be used for roleplay or fanfiction. But um, a couple of things.

1. You don't need to change yourself in order to change what symbolizes what on your 'ponysona.' There are no rules written in stone about what physical traits are supposed to represent certain parts of yourself... if there were, then the world would be a pretty boring place, no? That tan color can be edited in an image-editing program (it is easy to get GIMP or Paint.NET and select the color and unsaturate the coat a little bit) and the other parts of it can be toned down without it being jarring and random-looking. Think of your ponysona as a work of art. If it is supposed to represent you, shouldn't the final work be beautiful and pleasing to the eyes?

2. If you do not use this character in RP or fanfics, then why are you even in this thread trying to demonstrate that your alicorn ponysona is good? The kinds of alicorn OCs that people complain about are the ones that we run across in fanfics and RPs. Your character doesn't even fall in the same category. So I am not really sure what you are getting so defensive about, insisting that everyone in this thread read your entire description for your ponysona so that people who dislike alicorn OCs as a whole can be proven wrong... because your explanation is thorough and you have insisted that it is not open for criticism?

My point is that there are ways to take the traits that you have and to create a more aesthetically pleasing ponysona. You do not HAVE to do this, but remember that this is the Internet, and if you are going to broadcast this character out in the open, and you are posting this character on a discussion thread where people are going to give their honest opinions, in your mind, people have to either love it/have an extremely high appreciation for the reasons you posted, or they have to shut up and not comment. That is an unrealistic expectation to have on an Internet forum.

Edited by RockinRarity
  • Brohoof 1

I'm fine with alicorn OCs as long as there's a good explanation for it.

Not something stupid like she/he is the long lost sister/brother of Celestia and Luna or some crap like that. (Maybe not the most creative thing ever, but that's the point I'm trying to make)

The only other reason I wouldn't like them is if they're incredibly OP. Like if they have more powerful magic than all the other princesses or something (Again, not trying to be creative here, just making a point.)

Basically, as long as the story behind them is good, and it's not totally OP, I'll treat it like any other good OC

• Brohoof 1

2. If you do not use this character in RP or fanfics, then why are you even in this thread trying to demonstrate that your alicorn ponysona is good? The kinds of alicorn OCs that people complain about are the ones that we run across in fanfics and RPs. Your character doesn't even fall in the same category. So I am not really sure what you are getting so defensive about, insisting that everyone in this thread read your entire description for your ponysona so that people who dislike alicorn OCs as a whole can be proven wrong... because your explanation is thorough and you have insisted that it is not open for criticism?

My point is that there are ways to take the traits that you have and to create a more aesthetically pleasing ponysona. You do not HAVE to do this, but remember that this is the Internet, and if you are going to broadcast this character out in the open, and you are posting this character on a discussion thread where people are going to give their honest opinions, in your mind, people have to either love it/have an extremely high appreciation for the reasons you posted, or they have to shut up and not comment. That is an unrealistic expectation to have on an Internet forum.

I apologize.  I replied childishly without putting much thought into what I was saying because I was busy at the time.  Really, I should have just waited until another time to reply if I was ever going to reply at all.

You do make valid points about the contrasting colours in the design and the fact that the wings of my 'sona don't really serve much purpose other than to look cool (I'm not kidding; I fly more often as an aardwolf than I do as a zebralicorn... and my aardwolf fursona doesn't even have wings most of the time).  I'm not entirely sure why I said that I wasn't using my character in roleplaying, since I do, every now and then, break out the ponysona in more relaxed semi-roleplaying settings with friends.  I guess at the time I was only thinking of large-scale serious roleplaying.  -shrugs-

I also do kind of enjoy having my work critiqued, just not in the "change this because it looks good" way, so I apologize for saying that too.  Again, I was busy and just trying to type stuff out quickly so I could get on with my work.

In answer to your question, I posted the information in the thread just to show that not all alicorns are used for the same purposes, and I believe a lot of people probably have that general idea that they are.  Maybe this wasn't the right thread for my particular pony; maybe it was.  -shrugs-    I just wanted to post something that would get people to think about what's inside before they judge something or somepony from the outside.

edit:  Now that I've re-read the post to which you were replying, I think it was more of poor word placement than word choice that caused confusion over "critique."  All of my characters are open for critique, but when I said "not Rainshine," I was only referring to editing.  Rainshine's not open for editing, but critique is perfectly fine.  -does a facehoof-

Edited by Rainshine

Alicorn OCs are overrated. and uneeded. I could see them MAYBE in an alternate universe where there was no Celestia or Luna. But in the same universe as Tia and Luna?no....with 4 Alicorns It's plenty. pick a race that's not alicorn. Alicorns are just stupidly powerful...and it makes for boring RPs and stories. Not to mention being an Alicorn is earned, not born.

pick one. wings,horn or strength....you can't have them all.

I think its alright to have an alicorn OC, as long as its not overpowered and such. I really don't mind seeing people with their alicorn OC's, its their OC anyways, it shouldn't really affect my life seeing someone owning one. c:

Though I can see it being an issue if they try to be included in an RP set more in the Luna and Celestia world, since there is only 4 alicorns and are much more rare. So keeping your alicorn OC in their world can cause some conflict on their rules of their alicorns being more god-like and princess figure, and usually alicorns don't mix well in RP's that stick with the original MLP universe.

I have to admit, I do own an alicorn oc. Just one, that's all I ever will need. I mostly made her cause I love drawing elegant things and alicorns even before I got hooked to the show, and she happen to be created when I was doodling around with some mlp sketches. Now i'm working out making her a full OC. I am keeping her out of Luna and Celestia's mlp world, since she doesn't follow their rules. In my version of a mlp world, there are certain alicorns chosen to take care of certain things in nature. Such as the Alicorn of fire, earth, currents, wind, flight, magic, and so on. They are not immortal, and when they die, at that same time as another pony is being born is chosen to take their place (kinda like how the Avatar is chosen in The Last Airbender). My OC is the Alicorn of Flight, she is the care-taker of anything that is winged, which is usually helping out on yearly migrations and in the spring helping baby birds to fly.  I have been told since she is the alicorn of flight, why does she need a horn? Well, she does use her magic to help out with her tasks as the caretaker of flight, and being an alicorn gives the appearance of being the 'symbol' of her task she looks out for. She is not immortal, nor insanely powerful, no relations to any important pony, and no tragic back story. Though she is not just a normal pony wandering around everywhere, other ponies still take another look at her cause she is alicorn and are uncommon to see even in that world. None of her skills are natural born, she still has to work and train like any other pony.  I'm not saying that she is perfect, though I wouldn't consider her mary-sue. I don't plan on RPing her ever, as I enjoy plugging away at defining her history and information, and just drawing her a lot for fun. I'll just keep her in my own little MLP world, and she will never be apart of the MLP:FIM show world, since again she doesn't go by their rules they have there.

I guess what i'm saying after typing this is that even though I own an alicorn, i'm trying to do the right way of making her not an overpowered mary-sue OC and have a creative reason for why she is an alicorn. Just giving an example on how maybe an alicorn OC can be not too overpowered yet still unique.

So I think maybe alicorns should just stick out of the MLP:FIM shows world since again, in the show they are very rare and usually are princesses. Try straying away from their universe and make more of your own version, but again, that still doesn't give you the reason to them make your alicorn invincible and perfect. I don't mind seeing people with alicorn ocs, as long as they don't carry the mary-sue overpowered traits and are pulled off well. c:

Edited by Sky Rise

I feel that Alicorns make a great addition to RP's, but most people play them out to be OP. And I mean extremely OP. When you play an Alicorn you must make sure to keep it maintained and restrained, and this is mostly because they focus in both magic and flight which makes obstacles much easier for them. And here is another problem, instead of building there own story. Most rely on royalty/association with the "Mane 6" as a structure, when a Pegasus can originate from a place unknown and build  bravery, kindness, loyalty and this also goes with unicorns.

I mean don't get me wrong I favor Alicorns (As seen in my profile picture.) But I feel that people usually go insane with them, and it lacks originality. Always remember this "True power is power that is built, learned, and structured. But power that is immediately earned is childish and untrustworthy.". So when you RP make sure you aren't OP, your character has a special/complex/interesting story line, does not rely on the power of main characters or royalty, and always make sure to build your character. Why be born with lore when you can establish it? So go out there and make a legend.

post-19498-0-32166300-1379827710_thumb.png

• 1 month later...

People dont like alicorn oc's its overpowered and royalty connection normally. Being alicorn is like a king not everyone can be alicorn, unless you deserve, have a story, or a reason to be an alicorn.I am actually alicorn originally unicorn,because im learning 3D software called Source filmmaker to make a series with my oc,Drama series i can say.

I don't mind Alicorn OCs at all.

It's really up to the creator of the OC how they want them to look, it's not our business, really. Most people are flexible enough to play them as a unicorn or pegasus if the RP's DM doesn't like Alicorns at all, and even if they play them as an Alicorn, it's still possible for them to not be Mary Sues if they are played right.

• Brohoof 1

I don't mind Alicorn OCs if they're good. What is bad that most people do about them is

• Overpowered magic
  • Lame/confusing/bad backstory
  • Related to Mane 6
  • Are close friends with mane 6/princesses
  • Were made alicorns by princesses
  • Bad colour sheme
  • Demonology

That isn't all and it relates to other OCs but other than that I don't mind Alicorn OCs I like mares more than colts/stallion thou, I don't know why. Oh and also, if the alicorn OC has wings like Celestia does...

In my opinion alot of Alicorn OC's are just an easy way out when creating an OC :P Don't get me wrong I don't hate on anyone who uses them but I think their kind of boring and don't require much imagination = / 

I have seen a couple around with awesome back story's but most of the time it's more like 'hey I have a horn and wings, look at me'. What I think people need to remember is Alicorns (in the series, in fanfics and in the general lore of MLP) are VERY rare and very few ponies ever reach that stage :P 

Be creative with other races :)  I am not saying my OC is the be all end all of OC's because hes not, but I've worked in enough back story to explain why he has the ability to channel energy (electricity related energy) and form it to some degree, which means that not only is he a very strong flyer it also gives him a twist (being a cross breed between a unicorn and a pegasus) that means he isn't your average old Pegasus :) 

Any character, even someone like applejack can be very interesting, she is an earth pony who harvests apples , sure that sounds boring but when you look at her personality and back story it becomes ALOT more interesting :) 

To sum up really.... try to make your non alicorn OC as interesting as possible, put your personality into it if you wish (as I did with mine) and if you want to go to Alicorn thats fine :)  Just make sure you have some sort of valid back up for it so people wont give you to much grief :P  

The thing to keep in mind with MLP OCs is that when you get down to it, there are loads of them that I wouldn't call "good". Alicorn OCs certainly draw most of the flak, but I recognize that some of it is unfair and that so long as you're going to cast judgments on how other people try to express themselves, you may as well try to do it somewhat fairly.

That said, I can understand why alicorn OCs have the reputation they have and why they are generally disliked. Contrary to how some treat them, alicorns are not inherently flawless, boring, invincible, or anything of the sort. I consider three of the four alicorns on the show to be among the most interesting characters it has. One thing that alicorns are though, is rare and special. We know of only four of them ever existing, two of them are seemingly ageless rulers of celestial bodies and the other two ascended to the position after accomplishing something remarkable and demonstrating great personal growth and worthiness. They all have magical abilities that normal unicorns cannot hope to match. Having an alicorn that you try to play off as a casual and normal pony just doesn't seem to fit into the world that the show has created, which will bother some fans. As for ones that are treated as specially as the ones in the show, they'll still suffer the problem of feeling like they don't fit or belong.

I don't want to tell people how they can or can't make their characters, and I don't think they're automatically awful or anything. I do think that an alicorn OC, at least for me, is a particularly challenging thing to make work and have others acknowledge. Ultimately though, an OC should be largely for your own personal enjoyment. It's your character after all and if you want to make an alicorn OC, I'd say go for it. Try not to let other people's opinions influence your creativity.

• Brohoof 1

I feel as though there is nothing left for me to say, but I will anyways. As long as the OC isn't some sort of royalty or a super powered bland character, then I couldn't care less. By all means, if you can make a Alicorn who is just like any other pony then you go ahead and make that bad boy!

I think alicorns work if they are:

1.  Rare.

2.  Have their quirks.

One of the pitfalls of OC making is the temptation to make a character too perfect or powerful.  Alicorn OCs are inherently a high risk case for that.  Giving them a nice mix of quirks and weakenesses even greatly helps matters. 

• 1 month later...
I kinda don't get this "don't make your alicorn royalty" business. Isn't that basically canon for the show? I mean, it used to be kinda vague, but with the emergence of Twilicorn, hasn't that basically been proven? That alicorns are royalty? So what's the problem with that?

I can see where it might get annoying when you're RPing. Like that one kid in your group that keeps making up the rules as s/he goes so the game/objective/whatever works in his/her favor. However, if someone just wants to make a character or write a story, I say let them be. You don't have to like their stuff but I see no reason why someone should be so outspoken about this issue if it doesn't even affect them. (Again, RPing is an exception.)

My character's an alicorn. She's a duchess who shirked her duties and was shunned by the royal family. Now she lives in seclusion, never able to return. While it's very truncated, is it the best story ever? No. Is it particularly creative? Probably not. But that's what I choose to do with my character. What skin is it off your nose if that's what I wanna do?

Edited by Clover Heart

I personally do not mind alicorn OC's if they have a decent back-story and are not stupidly over powered and cannot die even if all their bones and organs are crushed by a mountain. I'm pretty much okay with anything else about alicorn OC's 

it's just unfortunate that people like making stupidly over powered OC's most of the time

• Brohoof 1

I will admit that I created a Alicorn, and while she may seem overpowered it was only because of how I portrayed in a story of mine. 

As for her design I kind of went a little basic on her, her coat is a cyan blue color and her main and tail is a silver color.

She is no more powerful than Twilight but she is mean to be the living embodiment of harmony, but that is only do to my story as her spirit Is what creates the Tree of Harmony.

My opinion is that a oc is a oc its not really up to anyone but the creator to decide whether they like the oc or not. 

• Brohoof 1

I don't mind Alicorn OCs if they're good. What is bad that most people do about them is

• Overpowered magic
  • Lame/confusing/bad backstory
  • Related to Mane 6
  • Are close friends with mane 6/princesses
  • Were made alicorns by princesses
  • Bad colour sheme
  • Demonology

That isn't all and it relates to other OCs but other than that I don't mind Alicorn OCs I like mares more than colts/stallion thou, I don't know why. Oh and also, if the alicorn OC has wings like Celestia does...

my oc is simple for an alicorn im way too lazy to link it just go into the character database and search "jewel"

• Brohoof 1

As a person who has done a ton of fanfic related stuff and been in a lot of fanfic and roleplaying games, forums, groups that sometimes yes dealt with a preset universe like MLP:FIS is I will say nothing is ever bad but when you do something it has to be done well. 

In the world lore alicorns are rare and their creation should be equally rare. If you want all that power you have to work for it, and work hard. If you can make an OC where the fact that they are an alicorn isn't the first couple of things people say when they describe your character, if there are definitive traits and quirks and it feels like a real person then great all the power to you. 

If you or anyone else ever say the words "I'm an alicorn" in the opening definition of the OC you need to start over. 

And of course a ton of people want to make Alicorns, OCs are an escape and alot of people don't want to dream small, they don't want to be not special when they go there. It could be because fo self esteem, or real life problems, or just the fact that they are a middle child and feel alone. Sometimes...sometimes people just want to be the biggest most awesome thing in the room because they want to feel good.

As for being related to the mane six...I personally recommend you have two versions of your OC if you want that. One where you are, which is for you and you alone where you can enjoy and share the bond you want to and a version of your OC you represent to other people in roleplays. Alicorn or not. Being the family of main characters is an insult to a lot of fans because it can appear self-indulgent, small sighted or just shatters their understanding of dynamics. 

Just my two cents...

• Brohoof 1

Take a look at my OC(Sorry for the pic) http://www.fimfiction.net/story/144080/night-wolfe     This shows that not all Alicorn OCs are good(loyal to Luna and Celestia) and he's not OP

NONO, Alicorn OCs are bad if

1 OPed

2 loyal to others

3 Just like in the show

My OC breaks all of them. Night(my oc) is the son of Discord. Without Discord Night can't do much magic. We learn this when Night comes to our world. People just need to give them a look.

READ THE FIC FIRST. BEFORE YOU DISLIKE.

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/144080/night-wolfe

http://www.fimfiction.net/story/150051/my-oc-in-my-world  Now this gets me mad, Look at the dislikes, compare with the first story.

150051_r.jpg?1386114540

Edited by Wolf Smith
  • Brohoof 1

Well...if it is a GOOD alicorn OC with a DECENT look and a DECENT story, then it's fine to me. But...there are a lot of Mary Sues/Gary Stus that are alicorn ocs and it freaking sucks. It can ruin a lot of people's views on alicorn ocs, like me, somewhat.

• Brohoof 1

• 2 months later...

Like, seriously. WHY?! NO! I don't want the same answer:

"Well, they don't state why or how they become an alicorn."

Poo. Maybe they were born an alicorn! Or-or maybe it is a simple grammar mistake and that shiz. 

The point is sometimes people underestimate an alicorn oc until they get their asses kicked in RP. 

What are your thought's on the alicorn oc hate?

"Well, they don't state why or how they become an alicorn."

This is essentially the reason though.

The point is sometimes people underestimate an alicorn oc until they get their asses kicked in RP. 

That's also another reason. Nobody wants a stupidly OP character in an RP 

• Brohoof 5