Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Alicorn OC's..are they really that bad?

BlueVeil

I think it's plenty easy to make a good alicorn oc without them eing related to te official characters, being op, edgy, or whatever

and since the Journal of the Two Sisters mentions alicorns other than C& L, also implying the royal sisters were born alicorns and likely t he group of them that they were with also being born alicorns, I see no reason why people can't also ave their oc's born alicorns.

Just off the top of my head, at ungodly hours of the morning, I can whip up an alicorn who isn't OP or with a tragic backstory.

"Alicorn X was born in the hills of Canterlot. Around the same age as two other Alicorn foals who went by the name as Luna can and Celestia, the two often invited Alicorn X to play with them. But Alicorn X politely would decline. Playing with others looked fun and all, but Alicorn X's real interest lie in the beauty of nature all around her. While other ponies of her kind prized their status, their wings and horn that neither pegasus, nor unicorn nor earth pony had all at once, Alicorn X didn't pay much attention to her status. She muddied her beautiful hooves looking closely at earthworms and bugs. She has filed down her beautiful horn, finding it more practical, seeing as how it used to get stuck in overhead branches when she would follow faeries the forest she liked to explore. And wings? They just got in the way. She was never in a hurry to get to her destination, and favored walking. While many older Alicorns tried to teach her basic flight skills, she failed spectacularly, always falling on her face. Alicorn X admires the work ethicvof earth ponies, how they accomplish so much without the use of fancier pegasus or unicorn magic. In spite of being a magestic alicorn, she beleives that magic is far too flashy, and dangerous under the wrong pony, so she makes it a point not to even use hers. Not that she knows or has mastered a single spell, anyway, out of fear and not to be a showoff"

• Brohoof 1

My alicorn OC is basically just happens to have a magic horn. He could give a ----- about it and doesnt use it. its fine.

I hate it when people give themselves super badflankyness or whatever though 

My very first pony OC was an alicorn but I changed it to a pegasus after I got told that every brony and pegastister would hate me if I would not.

Looking back, I think it was for the best since the OC works much better this way.

But over all, I do not think that alicorns are bad OCs. It is their back stories and overpowered abilities (and color combinations), that some people give to them, what makes them bad.

Edited by Fluidty

They don't need to be bad, but they inevitably will be if they're only an alicorn just to be special. I don't know anything about roleplaying, but from a fanfic writing perspective I think the question should be asked 'does this character have to be an alicorn?' If the answer to that question is no, it's likely best not to do it.

However, in a story centered around the land of the alicorns (Celestia and Luna are naturally-born alicorns, so presumably there are more of them somewhere) it would not be strange at all to have an alicorn OC as the main character, simply because all characters there would be.

I think the problem arises when people create an OC and they want to make it a special snowflake by making them an alicorn, preferably related to or in a relationship with canon characters. In this situation, the entire story is just there to put the OC on a pedestal and nothing more. This is fine, of course, as I believe anyone should be able to post whatever work they feel like, but I personally consider it to be bad writing and I can imagine others might do so as well.

i have an alicorn oc, i don't they they are bad. My oc has a lot of power.

My oc has a lot of power, but thats the only thing he has. He isn't royalty or related to the mane six. He isn't  neon colored either

My oc has a lot of power, but thats the only thing he has. He isn't royalty or related to the mane six. He isn't  neon colored either

And your point is? I mean, it can still be a bad OC even if he isn't royalty or related to the mane six.  

Every single alicorn OC is horrible. There are only two types of alicorn OC's -- the black-and-red grimdark sad story edgy ones that have no personality, are way overpowered, have everypony fawn over them because of their tragic backstory, and are the emperor of the shadow dimension alicorns, or the rainbow-colored supreme princess that has every talent in the universe, is overpowered and a Mary-Sue, has everypony fawn over them because of their astonishing good looks, and are or become the ruler of Equestria if not the entire world alicorns. There is no possibility for a good alicorn OC, they all just suck. And if you have an alicorn OC, you suck too and should leave the fandom because you can't make a good OC. Unless you're me, because my alicorn OC is so powerful and awesome that he can kill all of your alicorn OC's and become the ruler of the universe!

Satirical satire is satirical...

Edited by Meson Bolt

I have nothing against Alicorn Ocs, they also can be pretty overpowered or can be even Gods.

I wouldnt mind, i would still like them.

Most of my favorite Series have a lot of overpowered Characters, so i dont see any problems with Fans having some.

It's a delicate line. An Alicorn is someone very, very important in the Equestria world.

So to make one, your'e declaring yourself very important and that rubs some people the wrong way.

On the flip side, making an Alicorn that blends in with other ponies is redundant. No point in actually being an Alicorn, now is there?

So a fine, fine line that I'm not sure I've even seen balanced.

• 1 month later...

I LOVE alicorn OC's! Also, more Alicorns can technically be considered canon. In "The Journal of The Two Sisters" it is said that there is a place full of Alicorns. Honestly, I don't think that making them royalty is over powered either. I really don't see what the fuss is about anyways, I mean why put people down for having an OC you don't exactly agree with? It's not like an OC (even a bad one) has an impact on your personal life. I say that people can make their own OC in the way they want to. The OC is the owner's choice, NOT the rest of us bronies.

I LOVE alicorn OC's! Also, more Alicorns can technically be considered canon. In "The Journal of The Two Sisters" it is said that there is a place full of Alicorns. Honestly, I don't think that making them royalty is over power d either. I really don't see what the fuss is about anyways, I mean why put people down for having an OC you don't exactly agree with? It's not like an OC (even a bad one) has an impact on your personal life. I say that people can make their own OC in the way they want to. The OC is the owner's choice, NOT the rest of us bronies.

Every single alicorn OC is horrible. There are only two types of alicorn OC's -- the black-and-red grimdark sad story edgy ones that have no personality, are way overpowered, have everypony fawn over them because of their tragic backstory, and are the emperor of the shadow dimension alicorns, or the rainbow-colored supreme princess that has every talent in the universe, is overpowered and a Mary-Sue, has everypony fawn over them because of their astonishing good looks, and are or become the ruler of Equestria if not the entire world alicorns. There is no possibility for a good alicorn OC, they all just suck. And if you have an alicorn OC, you suck too and should leave the fandom because you can't make a good OC. Unless you're me, because my alicorn OC is so powerful and awesome that he can kill all of your alicorn OC's and become the ruler of the universe!

Satirical satire is satirical...

That hate... may I recommend a Televised show to teach you about friendship? its call my little pony.

People hate alicorn OCs because they are so unoriginal and it kind of seems like you just want your OC to have everything... You know? Iin my opinion tho, alicorn OCs are ok as long as they have a good reason for being an alicorn... Not just because you cant decide between wings and a horn. ;P