ooc Equestia Divided Reboot

GreyScholar

Even with the rewind, Fixit had designs for a repeating musket based on arquebuses and the "Fixit" gun design (basically a crank-operated gatling gun.) However I seem to recall that the Fixit gun had a lot of misfiring issues when Applebloom looked it over so it won't be seeing use until the end of the RP I imagine.

Actually one of your designs is already cannon (see what I did there): http://pooryorickda.deviantart.com/art/Equestria-Divided-Earthborn-additional-forces-382388501

A ten round machine courtesy of Mr Fixit. Well, sort of. This is more of the Gatling design you proposed, the musket design is a bit ahead of its time. Hey, at least one of your designs was made. There is the downside of a very long reload time, but it would probably be redundant anyway. If the misfire ratio is 1:4 as Yorrick specified then at least two of those ten shots will cause either cause catastrophic failure in the main chamber or a small puff of smoke and a rather disappointing dud.

Edited by The-Master
  • Brohoof 1

Actually one of your designs is already cannon (see what I did there): http://pooryorickda.deviantart.com/art/Equestria-Divided-Earthborn-additional-forces-382388501

A ten round machine courtesy of Mr Fixit. Well, sort of. This is more of the Gatling design you proposed, the musket design is a bit ahead of its time. Hey, at least one of your designs was made. There is the downside of a very long reload time, but it would probably be redundant anyway. If the misfire ratio is 1:4 as Yorrick specified then at least two of those ten shots will cause either cause catastrophic failure in the main chamber or a small puff of smoke and a rather disappointing dud.

Ha ha ha, my God that pun is terrible. :lol:

Yeah, I've seen that before, it's not what I had in mind as such. That's more like an actual cannon, the Fixit gun was meant to fire rounds like the arquebus and mow down enemy troops, more like an actual gatling gun. As said though, that is very much ahead of its time, since I overestimated the time period of the RP methinks (my head canon puts it at the early-to-mid 19th century for steampunk shenanigans.)

OK instead of me trying too look through this whole thread I'm just gonna ask.

Who still needs there OC approved? It would be convenient if you provided a link again.

OK instead of me trying too look through this whole thread I'm just gonna ask.

Who still needs there OC approved? It would be convenient if you provided a link again.

Mine were approved, right? I don't think they're on the list yet. *shrugs*

Can't link them from my phone, but you can find Cascade and North in a link on my sig.

So is my character accepted or... Just how long does acceptance normally take here anyway? Also, would I be allowed to apply a second character or should I just hold off for the time being?

Oh wow my apologies your post sorta got lost in the conversation we had. Yes I'm pretty sure you are accepted, and if you want you can apply you second character. if they are anything like your first you should have no problem having them accepted.

Mine were approved, right? I don't think they're on the list yet. *shrugs*

Can't link them from my phone, but you can find Cascade and North in a link on my sig.

I'm not sure if I had the power of approval but if I do I would say they are accepted. There didn't seem to be any problems and the bios were decent.

OK I in fact did go through all the pages and time to address everyone

@,

Did see too many problems with Astro, except her hometown wouldn't be in Equestria since there is an Equestria Divided Map of Equestria, but other than that and some very very minor stuff, she is very well thought out so I say she would be approved.

@@Grand_Finale,

I believe Tarot was approved

@@Windbreaker,

Just like Archi said, Poppy isn't as bad now so I would she she is approved.

@,

Braith seems to be pretty good, Archi said she wasn't bad and I agree. I say she is approved.

@@LittleRawr,

@@Tricksters Pride,

@,

@@SilverHeart,

Are your OC's finished yet and are you ready to present them for approval?

Edited by AnonBrony

I have a day off tomorrow so I was planning on writing it tonight and finishing it either tonight or tomorrow.

OK I in fact did go through all the pages and time to address everyone@,

Did see too many problems with Astro, except her hometown wouldn't be in Equestria since there is an Equestria Divided Map of Equestria, but other than that and some very very minor stuff, she is very well thought out so I say she would be approved.

It's a bit justified since it's a relatively small suburban town, so it would be expected that it would not be on a country's map, which will generally only indicate the locations of larger cities.

Almost i'm a bit of a detail freak so i'm designing a whole lot of stuff. Sadly though the friend of mine who is helping me with the bio (as i'm not any good at making characters without someone to bounce stuff off of) was sick for the past 3 days, so i might take a little while (sorry).

Oh yeah, forgot her, (Master don't kill me!) Well most things from Season 3 aren't in this setting, like The Crystal Empire and Sombra and Alicorn Twilight. 

@,

About you comment on guns, I agree with that, but no one has designed a proper firing mechanism for ponies, since the arquebus is relatively new, its like the first musket. Its interesting though, one of my OC's uses a crossbow that can be held with one leg. Normally a crossbow has a simple lever underneath that you use to fire the bolt. The one uses has the part of the lever sticking out the side and is designed so that the mouth can grab on too and by moving you chin up you fire the bolt. The bottom of the crossbow has a strap you can use to attach it you one of you legs for easier holding. Perhaps for the triggering system for the gun is by using the mouth. I mean if the gun is attached to the shoulder it be equivalent of hip-firing for a pony since they have much longer necks then us. If the gun can be attached to the head it might be better and accurate and even maneuverable. then one you use you hooves.

Hey Archi, maybe you should be writing this down, cuz of Applebloom heheh.

Firing it with the mouth will cause severe jaw dislocation and damage, even if the bullet was the lowest caliber. The recoil of a firearm is bigger than you think, and even more so if it's a blowback.

And firearms won't be hard to make. Most of them before the 20th century were only composed of a few simple parts. Basically, it was pull the trigger, which linked to the cap and striked the bullet, or to the bolt pin which striked the bullet. They probably didn't use detachable magazines in their time, but with their somewhat modernized technology, (light bulbs, trains, phonographs, etc.) it shouldn't be hard.

But then again, they could have devoted their military technology onto other weapons. The rifle and musket are too noisy and can attract ponies, making it bad for ambushes and skirmishes. Since ponies might go more for the "stealth" factor, they would have improved the bow and crossbow because it was silent and if the user is experienced, can go quite a range.

Plus, they don't need to hip fire. The mechanism and muzzle can be located higher on the pony's body, so it would be easier to aim. Attaching it directly to the shoulder or body can possibly work if the hoof can reach the trigger. Bullpup rifles would do good in this situation, but chances are, they haven't made it yet.

At most they can only use semi-automatics or repeating rifles.

Firing it with the mouth will cause severe jaw dislocation and damage, even if the bullet was the lowest caliber. The recoil of a firearm is bigger than you think, and even more so if it's a blowback.

And firearms won't be hard to make. Most of them before the 20th century were only composed of a few simple parts. Basically, it was pull the trigger, which linked to the cap and striked the bullet, or to the bolt pin which striked the bullet. They probably didn't use detachable magazines in their time, but with their somewhat modernized technology, (light bulbs, trains, phonographs, etc.) it shouldn't be hard.

But then again, they could have devoted their military technology onto other weapons. The rifle and musket are too noisy and can attract ponies, making it bad for ambushes and skirmishes. Since ponies might go more for the "stealth" factor, they would have improved the bow and crossbow because it was silent and if the user is experienced, can go quite a range.

Plus, they don't need to hip fire. The mechanism and muzzle can be located higher on the pony's body, so it would be easier to aim. Attaching it directly to the shoulder or body can possibly work if the hoof can reach the trigger. Bullpup rifles would do good in this situation, but chances are, they haven't made it yet.

At most they can only use semi-automatics or repeating rifles.

I must say, you have quite the wealth of knowledge on firearms and ranged weaponry in general, along with how a four-legged equine can utilize such equipment and even alternate them to their preferences.

And yes, I can get all fancy and lady-like at times even though I don't fit the criteria for being such! XD

I must say, you have quite the wealth of knowledge on firearms and ranged weaponry in general, along with how a four-legged equine can utilize such equipment and even alternate them to their preferences.

And yes, I can get all fancy and lady-like at times even though I don't fit the criteria for being such! XD

Well, mind me, I'm kind of a gun nut here. tongue.png Some of it is based off personal experience. I've shot pistols (surprisingly enough, I have never used a shotgun or rifle) with my dad, who kind of collects guns, in the firing range. The felt recoil isn't that bad (maybe because I've only used 9mm Luger and .32 ACP pistol bullets), but it does feel like someone is flinging your hands upward. The muzzle flash for every pistols I've used is pretty big, and looks like a "mini" explosion, as commented by my brother once. The sound is deafening – which kind of explains why you should wear earplugs or earmuffs when you're shooting at all times. And safety glasses.

Well, mind me, I'm kind of a gun nut here. :P Some of it is based off personal experience. I've shot pistols (surprisingly enough, I have never used a shotgun or rifle) with my dad, who kind of collects guns, in the firing range. The felt recoil isn't that bad (maybe because I've only used 9mm Luger and .32 ACP pistol bullets), but it does feel like someone is flinging your hands upward. The muzzle flash for every pistols I've used is pretty big, and looks like a "mini" explosion, as commented by my brother once. The sound is deafening – which kind of explains why you should wear earplugs or earmuffs when you're shooting at all times. And safety glasses.

The deafening noise is the only reason I prefer bows and arrows over guns. But why wear safety glasses? Does some debris fly off the bullet when it's fired(making that guess since all fired bullets have ballistic markings on them)?

Edited by MagicalStarRain

The deafening noise is the only reason I prefer bows and arrows over guns. But why wear safety glasses? Does some debris fly off the bullet when it's fired(making that guess since all fired bullets have ballistic markings on them)?

You know how police can trace gunpowder on a shooters hand? Well imagine what that powder would do to your unprotected eyes if something goes wrong.

• Brohoof 1

Kind of. The casings of the bullets can be ejected, so there's a chance that the casing might hit your face. But it's rare, since most firearms either eject their casings downward or outward so it doesn't hit the user. 

Another reason is the bullets sometimes have lead and other toxic elements and compounds in it. Usually people are specifically told not to touch their eyes and mouth after using a firearm and thoroughly washing your hands after use, but the safety glasses are used to protect you from that, along with the possibility of those toxic elements /compounds  floating in the air, which can be life-threatening in a closed atmosphere. Most firing ranges circulate their air from outside to prevent this, but still, safety comes first.

Edit: But bullets don't disintegrate immediately into lead particles, which explains why you still see bullets from the 19th century still alive. 

Edited by Cartophile
  • Brohoof 2

A gun-loving anti-war advocate. Delightful, delightful irony!

Honestly, I find a lot of this gun chatter and specifics irrelevant. It's a world about magical ponies! I don't think guns should be allowed personally, but considering everyone else seems to think so, I won't argue that point. Instead, I'll argue the specifics.

First off, I think a lot of this nonsense about recoil dislocating ponies' jaws and suffocation and toxicity of bullets and whatnot is pointless and hugely irrelevant. We must remember that this is a world of ponies. And that everything in this world is DESIGNED for pony use. I'm sure that any guns they might have in this world would be specifically designed for pony use, i.e., designed to not give you a concussion and blind you every time you fired. You have to take this technology-in-a-world-of-magic thing with a grain of salt regardless.

I do agree that ponies would likely use crossbows instead of actual guns. Crossbows seem much less complicated and seem to fit the theme of the world better than legit firearms. As much of weaponry as I've seen in the show and can recall offhand... The guards often carry pikes or lances, although those are most likely ceremonial. There are lances for jousting. There are cannons, or more specifically party cannons. Unicorns can use magic blasts like gatling guns, so giving them legit gatling guns seems a bit counter-intuitive, at least for unicorns. 

So no guns or anything similar that we'd recognize today. Personally, I think we should focus less on how the real-life weapons work and consider how they might work in a magical land of Equestria. It's doubtful they'd be made the exact same way with the exact same materials and designs and methods regardless.

• Brohoof 1

Ironic indeed, but I have my reasons. Guns aren't always used as weapons but as a sport (hunting, for example), and though I don't like how countries are always getting into unnecessary wars, I didn't say that it wasn't allowed for anything's else.

Guns can still be used for personal self-defense. Note that I didn't say I was a pacifist, I just don't approve wars that can instead solved by agreement or compromise. Only wage war when needed or left without a choice.

But I'm derailing the topic here.

Edited by Cartophile

Honestly, I find a lot of this gun chatter and specifics irrelevant. It's a world about magical ponies! I don't think guns should be allowed personally, but considering everyone else seems to think so, I won't argue that point. Instead, I'll argue the specifics.

First off, I think a lot of this nonsense about recoil dislocating ponies' jaws and suffocation and toxicity of bullets and whatnot is pointless and hugely irrelevant. We must remember that this is a world of ponies. And that everything in this world is DESIGNED for pony use. I'm sure that any guns they might have in this world would be specifically designed for pony use, i.e., designed to not give you a concussion and blind you every time you fired. You have to take this technology-in-a-world-of-magic thing with a grain of salt regardless.

I do agree that ponies would likely use crossbows instead of actual guns. Crossbows seem much less complicated and seem to fit the theme of the world better than legit firearms. As much of weaponry as I've seen in the show and can recall offhand... The guards often carry pikes or lances, although those are most likely ceremonial. There are lances for jousting. There are cannons, or more specifically party cannons. Unicorns can use magic blasts like gatling guns, so giving them legit gatling guns seems a bit counter-intuitive, at least for unicorns. 

So no guns or anything similar that we'd recognize today. Personally, I think we should focus less on how the real-life weapons work and consider how they might work in a magical land of Equestria. It's doubtful they'd be made the exact same way with the exact same materials and designs and methods regardless.

Precisely this is a whole different sentient species, thus they would design things differently. Also i'd like to point out that quite a few sources imply some sort of hoof manipulation magical field thing. This could in theory be used to trigger a hehe "Hoofheld cannon", making modern (or at least gunpowder age) tech quite possible. Though i'm not sure if that apply's in this particular role play but if it dose....

Edited by Tricksters Pride
  • Brohoof 1

It's a bit justified since it's a relatively small suburban town, so it would be expected that it would not be on a country's map, which will generally only indicate the locations of larger cities.

Did I say Did in that sentence?... I meant didn't lol Though it seems you didn't notice? 

The town thing is just a minor issue but overall the character is good so you shouldn't have to worry unless Scholar says something.

I suppose we should stop the talk of guns, its a bit off-topic. Though I did just realize us having big discussions might be turning away some potential players , since they see we are talking a lot so they probably assume we are already set, which we aren't. We might need more people... though maybe not I have to see how many OC's there are, we might have enough once everyone has made their OCs, but it will probably just be enough to start not an idea number. 

• Brohoof 2

Did I say Did in that sentence?... I meant didn't lol Though it seems you didn't notice? 

The town thing is just a minor issue but overall the character is good so you shouldn't have to worry unless Scholar says something.I suppose we should stop the talk of guns, its a bit off-topic. Though I did just realize us having big discussions might be turning away some potential players , since they see we are talking a lot so they probably assume we are already set, which we aren't. We might need more people... though maybe not I have to see how many OC's there are, we might have enough once everyone has made their OCs, but it will probably just be enough to start not an idea number.

We have to keep posting on here so that people can still see this. And the less people who see this thread, the less people will decide to become EqD roleplayers.

So different topic. If choosing a faction was based on battle strengths and weaknesses and not your beliefs among other things, which faction would you join? Basically, think of this as having to choose between being a warrior, a mage, an archer, a thief, or any other typical RPG battle class.

So different topic. If choosing a faction was based on battle strengths and weaknesses and not your beliefs among other things, which faction would you join? Basically, think of this as having to choose between being a warrior, a mage, an archer, a thief, or any other typical RPG battle class.

Me personally? Or my OCs? I'd probably be a nightblade, which is like a mage/thief hybrid. And that seems kinda perfectly tailored to Whitegold. 

We have to keep posting on here so that people can still see this. And the less people who see this thread, the less people will decide to become EqD roleplayers.

Earthborn engineer as i have an innate understanding with tech. It just seams to work for me for some reason and i can always fix it.

I suppose we should stop the talk of guns, its a bit off-topic. Though I did just realize us having big discussions might be turning away some potential players , since they see we are talking a lot so they probably assume we are already set, which we aren't. We might need more people... though maybe not I have to see how many OC's there are, we might have enough once everyone has made their OCs, but it will probably just be enough to start not an idea number.

It still says "Searching", implying that the roleplay is not ready yet. And there's no harm in asking.

Also, I think there is some justification for the helicopter here, though I would expect them to be small and less complex than the one shown. I doubt they still have metal clad helicopters, but they do have the first generation ones. Pinkie Pie flies one, in fact, generating energy through pedaling. Replace it with an relatively strong electrical motor and you get your "modern" helicopter.

Of course, I don't think it'll ever be used in battle. It leaves the pilot completely defenseless and is therefore impractical for combat. Most likely it'll be used for cargo transport, but the airship would be better for this.

For aerial combat, I believe airships would most likely be used. And yes, they're canon. Large airships are effective in bomb dropping or shooting from the sky. Not only that, but they're durable, though in a reverses way; cannonballs, arrows, and other projectiles can't damage the airship because of it's massive size. Possibly their only weakness is incendiary spells - though even that takes time to burn the fabric and do actual damage. And it can be countered with fireproof protection. However, it is slow and expensive to make.

Tanks are plausible, though I don't like seeing them in a warfare RP. But if we're following Yorick's fanon here, it would most likely be a mobile "bunker". The controls would be different from ours, maybe using levers and switches suited for pony use.

Still probably be a Moon and Star mage, cuz DE MAGICS! Or maybe I'd be a pegasus with or sword or something in Stormwing, be all DPS like. Or I guess i can also go Earthborn cuz Cannons are fun lol and maybe designing new kinds of weapons would be cool. Or I could be a necromancer in the cult!

... Yeah this is why I always have multiple characters in RPGs, gotta try all the classes! lol

Edited by AnonBrony
  • Brohoof 1

As for me, I'm not too sure. Perhaps a House Moon and Star mage or a Whitegold thief. I like the magic, but I also like the deceit. Although Stormwing doesn't sound so bad either, but that's because I'm relatively capable of fighting with samurai swords in real life. I also like Earthborn because of the ranged weaponry, but none of it is actually quiet. Maybe the Cult, because of slowly wearing away your opponent then getting some expendable soldiers in the form of happy zombies in the end. Although I would prefer them in a different form than a rotted-out pony with his tendrils hanging out.

Yeah... I'm more geared toward a combination of M&S and Whitegold,.

Edited by MagicalStarRain