Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

It isn't the wings, it's the change

Forlong

I made a YouTube video regarding the criticisms levied at season 3, and I think I've figured the issues out.

I see change as the real issue.  With Discord, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight changing so dramatically everything is going to change.

• Brohoof 5

For once I actually watched this whole video.

Anyways, i'm very unbiased about the MLP shows since I dont watch them anymore, (they suddenly got boring, dunno why) and I do agree with just about all the episodes that was good and bad. Pretty obvious to point which one is what, huh? But anyways, yeah, more or less change is one reason what most people dont like. But I thought about it some, and change should always happen, or else it would just get boring. Take ponies OC's for example. Maybe you might change some things about them, you might not. But if you keep it the same, it'll eventually become dull and grey. That's probably one reason why they wanted change in there, is because it would keep it going.

Now some changes in there people will hate and like, but we just have to face it and say, it's happened. It's like facing the fact that you and Fluttershy cant be Canon, since you would have to run through a crap ton of things just to get to hasbro to talk to the peep in charge to ask them permission, and they would clearly say no. Just gotta say okay, it's changed and be done.

Also, you look cewl in the picture~

I made a YouTube video regarding the criticisms levied at season 3, and I think I've figured the issues out.

I see change as the real issue.  With Discord, Rainbow Dash, and Twilight changing so dramatically everything is going to change.

Okay, I see what you've tried to do here, but this video relies far, far too much on using your own personal opinions as fact, and then makes an already tired claim because 'people think differently, therefore their brains can't handle change! Gosh, I'm so smart!'

You simply cannot list a bunch of your most and least favourite episodes and then say, "Wow, season 2 is the best and season 1 is the worst! I know, right? I judged them fairly and everything!" I pretty much wanted to stop watching the video at that point, but I stayed with it. There were some episodes you said were good that I didn't like, and some you said you hated that I did like. I'm not going to say your opinions on those episodes are wrong, but the way you talk in this video it makes it seem like you're saying anyone who disagrees with you is wrong. You didn't even give a 'this is just my opinion' disclaimer.

"My Little Pony is not as good as we make it out to be." Ah, yes. The old 'I don't think this incredibly popular show/game/movie is amazing therefore everyone who does think that is wrong! They're just caught up in the hype!' Do I personally think MLP is the best show ever? No. But considering how popular it is, there are certain to be some people out there who have that opinion, and that's fine. Heck, I know a guy in his late thirties who says it's his favourite show of all time. I guess his opinion is wrong, huh?

If you want to take a look at why people weren't fans of season 3, actually get some opinions on each episode. (You had a couple of pictures of episode reviews in there so you obviously know how to get them) Don't scour over the season saying "It had lots of great episodes! But it also had changes!" without actually delving into peoples' criticisms. Automatically falling back on "well people just don't like change" makes you look stupid. You gave some reasons as to why a lack of change can lead to stagnation, but that was it. Talk about the changes. Talk about what they might mean for the show. Talk about their execution, and whether there were any problems. Talk about what different people took away from these episodes. Talk about alternative changes that people have suggested. Talk about the pros and cons that would come with each change, and indeed with not having each change. Comment on the fact that a con in one person's eyes is a pro in another person's eyes. You sure as hell won't come to a definitive conclusion, but you'll certainly do a more convincing job of being an analyst.

• Brohoof 7

Okay, I see what you've tried to do here, but this video relies far, far too much on using your own personal opinions as fact, and then makes an already tired claim because 'people think differently, therefore their brains can't handle change! Gosh, I'm so smart!'

Ouch.  I didn't mean it like that, but I suppose I didn't quite fairly represent the season 3 critics.

If you want to take a look at why people weren't fans of season 3, actually get some opinions on each episode. (You had a couple of pictures of episode reviews in there so you obviously know how to get them) Don't scour over the season saying "It had lots of great episodes! But it also had changes!" without actually delving into peoples' criticisms.

My original script got rather disjointed when I tried to cover all that.  Maybe this was to complex an issue for my first video.

My next video will be a review, so I might do that better.

Ouch.  I didn't mean it like that, but I suppose I didn't quite fairly represent the season 3 critics.

My original script got rather disjointed when I tried to cover all that.  Maybe this was to complex an issue for my first video.

My next video will be a review, so I might do that better.

I didn't mean to sound insulting, and I'm sure you don't genuinely treat your opinion as fact and look down upon other views as insignificant. It's just the way it was represented here that made it seem like it. I'll admit it would be a humongous task to collate a bunch of criticisms from across the board. (especially since you're trying to compare three entire seasons) An easier task would be to question whether it's the changes in season 3 that people call out as criticisms. Heck, you could even just focus on the 3 episodes that had significant character changes. (MMC, Keep Calm and Flutter On, Wonderbolt Academy)

Giving each season a score out of five and listing the 'great' and 'bad' episodes was easily your biggest downfall. Reviewing stuff is absolutely fine, but trying to use those reviews as a basis to explain the way others think is going a little too far. You did make a couple of good points about the risk/reward of change and how you would like MLP to be more than just a 'good' show. It just felt like a startling conclusion to lampoon all season 3 hate as a dislike of change/progression. People don't like being told why they have the opinions they have, especially if it's less than flattering. Perhaps if you looked at other possible reasons it wouldn't have been so bad.

If you're making more videos, then good for you. Everybody's gotta start somewhere. Heck, when I started out as a fanfic writer I was borderline terrible, and look at me now! I'm... a notch above mediocre... .-__- As far as your video-editing skills go, you did a good job with transitions etc. And hey, maybe I'll even enjoy the next video you put out. smile.png

• Brohoof 1

Dash is getting character development to make her less like a 'self-centered bitch' that half the fandom has called her from the very first episode, Discord is being taken out of the doomed loop of 'break out of stone, cause trouble, get stoned again, repeat process' and made into a nuetral character who can be funny and unpredictable as always without being tied to one side or the other, and most of the irrational, blown-out-of-proportion fears that everyone's had over Twilicorn have been debunked by show writer tweets and the alike.

I'm not seeing the problem most people do, personally.

Yeah, change is scary. Having anxiety myself, I know this better than most people. But there comes a point where you put well-deserved faith in the show writers. If they made Equestria girls decent even to some of the most judgmental fans, they can make a new actual season amazing.

Yeah, change is scary. Having anxiety myself, I know this better than most people.

I can't speak for everyone as there are people that are reflexively afraid of change, but it is not so much that twilicorn represents change that concerns me but that it potentially represents change simply for the sake of change which can be just as bad as stagnation. Nothing so far about the change makes any sense to me, the timing seemed too soon as the season had very little to do with the concept except for the finale and some vague hints in season 3. And the finale as I have said many times was quite botched, but Equestria Girls being better than I expected did give me the final nudge I needed to turn me from being opposed to neutral. I keep hearing trust the writers and I of course understand the point of the people making it but no matter how talented the writers are the fact is when their bosses at Hasbro say jump they have to answer "how high?" I still have a few doubts but do have faith that if Hasbro lets the writers do what they do best that everything will be fine.

Discords change seemed somewhat rushed to me and I would rather he have stayed a villain for at least a little longer, but was handled well nonetheless and Discord was as hilarious as ever. Rainbow Dash and Applejack had the best character development in season 3 and I am looking forward to seeing what they will do with them in season 4. And we have a new sister like relationship with Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo that presents excellent opportunities for character development for both of them and is adorable.

I can understand what the author's trying to get at but comparing the seasons by viewer opinion is heavily flawed, since opinions can vary so much. Also the author does rely a bit too much on personal opinion as opposed to actual analysis.I will point out right now that I strongly disagree that Bridle Gossip, The Ticket Master, Boast Busters, Putting Your Hoof Down, Dragon Quest and Spike at Your Service are mediocre episodes. On a similar note I think that episodes like Wonderbolts Academy, Too Many Pinkie Pies, Winter Wrap Up, and Sweet and Elite were lackluster or flat out mediocre episodes. Also regardless of how "unpopular" it is, I think people just regard The Mysterious Mare Do Well as being "the worst episode ever" simply because they're butthurt about their favorite pegasus mare getting shown up in a harmless lesson. Its not a great episode, but it isn't by any means abysmally horrible.

But that's just my opinion. So there. mellow.png

On the whole Friendship is Magic is "as good as its gonna get" argument, what evidence is there to suggest that? The show didn't even go through a whole 3 seasons and the 3rd one already provided lots of excellent episodes and opened up more potential for the show than there already is, all before Alicorn Twilight derped into the picture. I'm sorry but this "pro change" argument seems awfully a lot like Hasbro and co apologists trying to to justify poor decisions made by the folks in HQ and trying to justify them as good and hopeful for those who never wanted to go along with this trainwreck to begin with..

The premise offered to address the dissent against this "change for the better" is highly flawed. I'm not afraid of change and I'm sure a lot of folks who disagree w/ the video and you aren't. Hell a lot of us don't mind sudden changes. I would like to see characters evolve, progress new elements and characters come in and yes I don't mind Twilight becoming an alicorn. However, what folks like me don't like is the motives, reasons and justifications for the changes made at the end of season 3....

300px-Iron_Will_is_seeing_an_opportunity

That's more than likely what Hasbro and co was thinking when Twilight was made into an alicorn. They weren't thinking about the bronies, fuck no if anything by doing that they threw us to the curb, so they could hope to appeal to little girls and the cash cow stereotypical marketing line "you can be a princess like Twilight Sparkle too!" vsTALhM.png And of course it was in large part to sell and market toys like this which don't look jack shit like Twilight:

tumblr_inline_mheefkUKus1qz4rgp-256x350.

PS: your beloved Alicorn Princess Twilight was made by a poor, abused and highly underpaid Chinese worker, who along with probably never having the chance to become a princess, won't be expected to live past 30. Also the pathetic job she took from you was also outsourced in part from your debt ridden community and Santa Claus died centuries ago. You're welcome.

I hate to sound like such a dour donkey, but I really can't put too much faith into the actions that some have taken for this show, especially when they were for less than sincere intentions. I do hope and think Season 4 will have higher hopes and expectations, but I will watch it with guarded optimism. May the Faust be with you.

I can understand what the author's trying to get at but comparing the seasons by viewer opinion is heavily flawed, since opinions can vary so much. Also the author does rely a bit too much on personal opinion as opposed to actual analysis.I will point out right now that I strongly disagree that Bridle Gossip, The Ticket Master, Boast Busters, Putting Your Hoof Down, Dragon Quest and Spike at Your Service are mediocre episodes. 

I can easily pick apart most of those episode on a writing level for you. Boast Busters in particular, is not just mediocre episode- the writing is horrendous. People say MMDW is the worst episode? Boast Busters is more mean-spirited, just as hypocritical, and out of character.

Dash is getting character development to make her less like a 'self-centered bitch' that half the fandom has called her from the very first episode, Discord is being taken out of the doomed loop of 'break out of stone, cause trouble, get stoned again, repeat process' and made into a nuetral character who can be funny and unpredictable as always without being tied to one side or the other, and most of the irrational, blown-out-of-proportion fears that everyone's had over Twilicorn have been debunked by show writer tweets and the alike.

I'm not seeing the problem most people do, personally.

Not sure that one appearance for Discord prior to season 3 counts as a "loop".  Besides which, there's another solution to that:  Don't bring him back. 

My personal issues with Twilicorn still ahven't been completely satisfied yet, though the premiere was definitely a good first step.  The next few episodes are going to be crucial in how they deal with the issue from now on. 

Not sure that one appearance for Discord prior to season 3 counts as a "loop".  Besides which, there's another solution to that:  Don't bring him back. 

No, it's the logical conclusion of a continued pattern, not past examples, of which my point stems from. We've both conveyed our points on this subject before, so we're different in that I'd rather have him around than not at all, so that discussion path is also moot.

Well from the beginning for me it was definitely the change. I didn't care so much that Twi got wings. I wanted to know that the crew weren't showing any favoritism to Twilight by making her a princess. Of course, I'm glad they kept her her humble self, but I just hope they don't let the princess thing get to her head. I also don't want the show to center around her being a princess. Sure it's a big deal, but I don't want to see Applejack or Fluttershy themed episodes go away.

I couldn't have cared less that she got wings. I couldn't have cared less that Discord was reformed. What I cared about was if the characters would still be themselves after their changes. I didn't want them to change everything we had come to love about these characters. And the season opener quelled most of those fears.

I am probably the most nievest pony fan here on the forums in regards to saying... I honestly LOVE each episode throughtout all the seasons. Sure there are a couple here and there i don't have issues skipping, but I still watch them every now and then, simply because, being an animator and loving the animation, the characters, the fact they are PONIES... I guess ya... I am not helpful in this topic. That said season 3 has been by far my most favorite of seasons from all the episodes you mentioned in your vid. But I say that for every season when its done. I LOVED season 1. Out comes season 2, I love season 2 more then season 1. Then out comes season 3... OMG I LOVE SEASON 3!! See my point? I have a weird fling where I keep falling in love with the next season. My bet is this will happen for season 4 as well, changes and all.

To be honest, I've never really focused on the writing to a critical standpoint. I don't see the point. I love Boast Busters. I'm not going to analyze each moment of it until I hate it. I'm not going to make myself see a girl's show too logically either.

Having said that, a few Season 3 episodes did genuinely bore me. And to be honest, I loved Mare do Well Because I loved RD getting what she deserves

I'm loving the changes coming in Season 4 and I can't wait to see what happens next.