Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

So,rascal61 needs a few changelings for Tartarus' Inquisition project, and that got me wondering, what is a changeling?  I tried to check on Google, but unfortunately, my laptop blocks MLP Wiki.  Could someone be awesome and quickly explain what Changelings are?

(I'm only on Episode 9 of Season 1, so if spoilers could be kept to a minimum, I'd appreciate it greatly.)  Thanks!

You won't be seeing changelings until the end of Season 2. They look like this.

changeling_vector_by_durpy-d4xd75n.png

They're a deformed lookalike of ponies that have the ability to disguise themselves as other ponies. For instance, if Pinkie Pie met a changeling, the changeling could use magic to turn itself into a replica of Pinkie Pie. This gives them stealth and makes them formidable villains.

There's actually been quite some speculation about how they came into being and where they originate from, because not many details were given in their debut episode. You'll likely find some discussion topics floating around the forum about them, but I'd leave those until you watch the episode.

Edited by Flipturn
  • Brohoof 4

i think they were normal ponies... when the queen take all the love, they turn into those creatures

**the hell i'm an idiot!**

Edited by Doc. Volt
  • Brohoof 1

@@Doc. Volt, here's a small tip for the future:

if you want to type spoiler material, you can actually put it in a spoiler by typing this:

[ spoiler] "thing you want spoilered" [/ spoiler] (just delete all the spaces in there)

also, i pretty much agree with ProjectRKA. i don't think there is a whole lot known about changelings....

Edited by repsol rave
  • Brohoof 2

yeah i know but it wasn't on purpose.. i edited the messag.. first i wrote the sentence but then i realized that there were spoiler so i added the warning line

• Brohoof 1

Others have stated what a changeling is in the show. An actual changeling lore-wise is the offspring of a supernatural creature--usually a fairy--who swaps the place of a human child; they are known to be unpredictable and wreck havoc on the human child's family. Nasty little buggers. :)

• Brohoof 1

Changelings are malicious creatures that devour love on living beings. The queen of the Changelings is none other than Queen Chrysalis herself. She's one ugly insect...pony...thing.

BLASPHEMY!!!angry.png 

How dare you offend the elegant and beautiful Queen Chrysalis with your garbage! Just look at that style and pizzazz! ohmy.png 

parasitic_elegance__by_insomniacovrlrd-d

AND THAT CUTENESS IS JUST wub.png

0778106f355d7a0a8a0ad5a19f562128-d5egglf

(But yeah, changelings are awesome villains in season 2. Just you wait smile.png Also, sorry for the humongous pictures. Didn't bother to rescale them...)

• Brohoof 1

Well, similar to how Windegos are a take from the Algonquin (pardon my bad spelling) mythical creature, Changelings seem to be a combination of multiple different cultured legends regarding creatures that feed on humans (for whatever reason, it may not be one of love) and are able to shapshift.  There are so many legends of shapeshifting creatures out there.  I think the creators made then needing to consume love because that is ultimate in friendship.  So you have Discord, the spirit of chaos, the anithesis of harmony.  And you have the changelings, who are unable to be friends but instead feed on friendship and love in a savage, selfish manner. 

• Brohoof 2

BLASPHEMY!!!img-2015278-1-angry.png 

How dare you offend the elegant and beautiful Queen Chrysalis with your garbage! Just look at that style and pizzazz! img-2015278-2-ohmy.png 

I would normally say changeling scum, but for fluff puff's sake we will put up with her odious self.

Back on topic, what is a changeling?  Hell son that's an awesome question.

lets run through some ideas

is it a demon?  It eats LOVE.  It could be a child cartoon sanitized version of a succubus

A fallen pony drained of all it's happy goodness?  See discordly conducts tumbler had the head canon queen chysleials, aka queen swiss cheese legs use to be a alicorn princess, but doesn't go into it other than some choice flash backs. 

Is it an alien?  I mean seriously does a changeling seem like something you'd find on equistria?  This could be some kind of inter dimensional body snatcher.

It's simply a parasitic bug that's mutated from Princess Celestails run off from her rainbow factory project, oh buck i forgot to put spoilers around that, i hope I don't get banned.  Erm I mean just kidding ... ^^.... are they buying it?

Yet another unfortunate sister of princess Celestial, or family member (aunt, mom, niece, who knows) who's used her cursed magic to warp her subjects swearing vengeance against the banana queen.

Elder things that roamed the land before the light came, siblings to the nightmare creatures that warped luna.

A battalion of team rocket employs fell though that equestrian mirror and this is what they turned into on the pony side.

The residual negative run off of the mental remains of nightmare moon possible gave birth to this walking abominations.

Luna's B team of super ninja crack team killers sworn to take down Princess Celestial at all costs.

Creatures that flooded in the holes in the 4th wall pinkie has left gaping and open.

celestial cursed subjects who refused to accept friend ship into their hearts.

celestail's cursed subjects from star swirl the bearded spell going horribly wrong.

Edited by FNGRpony
  • Brohoof 2

BLASPHEMY!!!img-2015278-1-angry.png 

How dare you offend the elegant and beautiful Queen Chrysalis with your garbage! Just look at that style and pizzazz! img-2015278-2-ohmy.png 

img-2015278-3-parasitic_elegance__by_ins

AND THAT CUTENESS IS JUST img-2015278-4-wub.png

img-2015278-5-0778106f355d7a0a8a0ad5a19f

(But yeah, changelings are awesome villains in season 2. Just you wait img-2015278-6-smile.png Also, sorry for the humongous pictures. Didn't bother to rescale them...)

I agree. Queen Chrysalis is one of the great villians out there. We should see more of her later on if possible. Also, the reason why I said that sort of stuff earlier on because she ain't my type and I don't wanna be anywhere near her. 

• Brohoof 3

I agree. Queen Chrysalis is one of the great villians out there. We should see more of her later on if possible. Also, the reason why I said that sort of stuff earlier on because she ain't my type and I don't wanna be anywhere near her. 

Heheh tongue.png  To be completely honest, I didn't mean it as harsh as I now see it looks... Just thought I'd say something funny after I saw your comment. I'm not the kinda person to start wars over these things. Suffice to say that I like her a lot mellow.png

• Brohoof 1

Wow, I didn't expect this many responses!  Thanks for all the informative answers, guys/gals!

So, if I understood y'all correctly, a changeling in traditional mythology can be anything from a doppelganger to a mythical child-stealing demon-thingy, and in MLP, a changeling is basically a magical/alchemical experiment gone completely wrong.  Sounds pretty cool, but I can see why Rascal is having difficulty getting any for the Inquisition.  Thanks again, everypony!

yes we all know what they do,

but what are they.

Changelings are, well we don't know exactly what they are since they didn't explain their origins or why they are Changelings in their debut episode. All I know is, they are a hive of an insect species.

• Brohoof 1

Changelings have the ability to take the form of any pony that they can disguise themselves as.

Changelings are, well we don't know exactly what they are since they didn't explain their origins or why they are Changelings in their debut episode. All I know is, they are a hive of an insect species.

Okay, thanks for the concise information.  That cleared things up substantially in my mind.

• Brohoof 1

They're little impish sprites that can take on the form of anything, and anyone it chooses.

They're not a MLP exclusive. They're part of medieval folklore. They're said to be faerie-like creatures that take on the image of a child.

• Brohoof 1

They're little impish sprites that can take on the form of anything, and anyone it chooses.

They're not a MLP exclusive. They're part of medieval folklore. They're said to be faerie-like creatures that take on the image of a child.

Oh, now that clears things up even more!  Some ponies above were directing me to Greek mythology, but that only confused me further.  Thanks, !

• Brohoof 1

Changelings are... whatever they like to be smile.png

@@FNGRpony: brohoof for pointing out the succubus reference, and for very exhaustive list of other theories. I was wondering about the same thing recently when I tried to connect Changelings with the whole history of the realm of Equestria. And why are they perforated like a swiss cheese derpy_emoticon2.png

And yes, I hope they'll back, since they weren't killed nor nice-ified by the Elements of Harmony yet, so they still have some story-wise potential xJpg51C.png

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 1

Changelings are... whatever they like to be img-2022645-1-smile.png

@@FNGRpony: brohoof for pointing out the succubus reference, and for very exhaustive list of other theories. I was wondering about the same thing recently when I tried to connect Changelings with the whole history of the realm of Equestria. And why are they perforated like a swiss cheese img-2022645-2-derpy_emoticon2.png

And yes, I hope they'll back, since they weren't killed nor nice-ified by the Elements of Harmony yet, so they still have some story-wise potential img-2022645-3-xJpg51C.png

Woot, i was hopping that list would pay off some how.

I mean i didn't think about it till i saw the thread title.

I mean their a pretty major thing.

the only known race of anything willing to take down 3 alicorns on mlp.  (2 if you think luna is in on it).

I mean even discord didn't kick in the door at canterlot castle and start raising hell.

• Brohoof 1