Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The only one not diagnosed with.. something?

Zygen

121 users have voted

1. 1. Have you been diagnosed with something?

• Yes, i have
    • No, not that i'm aware of

Yeah i'm glad in a way, but i understand the feeling of being rare to.

I kinda almost is, most the people i know have some kind of disorder or condition as I said, either smaller and more unknown, to something more common, or something more severe. 

And here i am without any of those, and its just, idk, it almost feels excluding. Its weird. 

And yeah, i already suck at handling life currently, i don't think i could do it with a disorder, which is why again i have tons of respect for people with these many different conditions.

And i will atleast read it, i read all posts on my threads, and reply to the vast majority, i like to feel involved in threads i start.

however i as i said don't have a disorder, so i can't answer your question. Sorry :/.

"Can I hug you pweese- *gets pushed aside*"

It's alright. But yeah, I guess it's like... Weird.

It kind of feel wrong to say you don't have any diagnosis of anything, since when you say you don't, it almost seems like you're bragging from this point on. Now one way you can avoid that is by not even talking to somepony and ask if they have a diagnosis, but this thread is here for that reason.

On the other hand, it's interesting too! Maybe you might learn a thing or two from others, and maybe you even could become friends from it. It really just depends on the approach you take to it :3

Oh, and just saying. Moon really wants to hug you, possibly hump you.

• Brohoof 1

@@Zygen,

I'm able to get in and out of really small spaces easily, and I could get my hands out of handcuffs. Even tight ones.

Haha, thats pretty cool, you could be like the next Hudini :D.

Or um, something.

Superhero!

I will tell you what it is like. A chronic condition takes your focus away from everything else. Imagine everything that makes you happy, making you a little less happy. Everything fun, not being fun. The inclusion you gain, is far outdone by the experience. I am not going to complain, and I want you to understand, I know where you are coming from. I get it. That feeling you are having, is not a bad one, and you sound like a great person.

It just sounds like you are looking for acceptance and inclusion. If that is the case. /) Brohoof man. I wish you continued health and luck in everything that you do!

That sounds kinda depressing. But anyways, i sort of think i vaguely get it, I understand its probably hard to understand though, but i thank you for trying to explain.

And thanks, i guess its not, and definitely not out of the ordinary for a curious person such as myself ;p.

And thank you, you sound like a wonderful individual yourself. :).

Maybe so, i do feel lonely at times, and somewhat excluded, and the fact i've been thinking alot lately has only increased these feelings at times, so i just felt this was one of those random questions i needed to get off my mind and help me understand myself and my feelings better. So thanks to you and everyone for helping with that :).

And thank you very much, you are a very kind individual :). /) right back at you. 

Shrink? not totally sure i follow, but i assume you mean to get tested for something.

Shrink = slang for psychologist/psychotherapist

Nah I do agree SOME people do have disabilities and such of the mind. But not to the false extent that we're seeing.

Its just easier to give a diagnoses these days than dealing with people apparently. 

I was much later diagnosed with Aspergers (during a time when aspergers was considered a false theory, and no more than someone stringing together a bunch of BS. So my diagnoses actually stands fairly real compared to modern ones where any anti social behavior = aspergers.. despite most that are claimed to have it are better off than most).

Seeing and digging deeper into it, I def fit the proper description. Especially after noticing a movie from the 70's about the condition (Mary and Max, its on netflix, and I def recommend it. Neat little claymation film about a guy from NYC with aspergers, and a girl from australia that has a very dysfunctional family. And how they became pen pals and best friends. I can SOO see myself doing what Max did as a street cleaner :P robot it up!... and also losing the job for the same reason... stupid unfun people...)

I'm a very fun person as I'm told. 

But most won't come near me because I come off as "odd" or "strange"..  

Even been asked if I was actually drunk or high before when I was completely sober :)

So meeting new people is difficult...

Having fun isn't a disability though, why should getting older mean I need to be a stiff old bat? Sure theres places to be serious (such as when I was in the military) but not always!

And yeah, i already suck at handling life currently, i don't think i could do it with a disorder, which is why again i have tons of respect for ponies with these many different conditions.

see your depressed, now we can find some pills for you too! 

I keed of course :P

But seriously, just be happy they haven't tried to saddle you with anything.

Ain't needed the pills I was prescribed ever, and I stopped taking them at 15 (15 years ago! heh...) without my parents knowing (was coughing them back up)

Served good time in the Military, and doing right good on my own... If I were still on the zombie pills I never would've been allowed into the service, and never had a chance at getting a decent enough job that would've landed me my house/land that I now have!

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 1

"Can I hug you pweese- *gets pushed aside*"

It's alright. But yeah, I guess it's like... Weird.

It kind of feel wrong to say you don't have any diagnosis of anything, since when you say you don't, it almost seems like you're bragging from this point on. Now one way you can avoid that is by not even talking to somepony and ask if they have a diagnosis, but this thread is here for that reason.

On the other hand, it's interesting too! Maybe you might learn a thing or two from others, and maybe you even could become friends from it. It really just depends on the approach you take to it :3

Oh, and just saying. Moon really wants to hug you, possibly hump you.

*hugs*.

And yeah.

And i'm not intentionally trying to brag about anything, i'm just stating, i think infact alot of people with conditions are actually much better and talented people then myself. For many reasons.

I do hope i didn't offend anyone, as i've said before it wasn't my intention, but rather i was just, curious about the subject matter.

And yeah, i don't think anythings wrong with differences, its a great way to learn from each other, and it keeps the world from being bland and boring :).

Well, she can have a hug, but i don't think i am comfortable with her humping me, or either of my Oc's, sorry.

You can have a hug though *Hugs*

I've been diagnosed with mild autism and aspergers, and that's pretty much it. But it is not really much of a hindrance at all in my everyday life. I feel relatively normal. I am quite introverted and do not really consider myself to be the social and outgoing type but that's pretty much part of my personality. It's how I've always been. 

Heck, the government doesn't even see me as autistic. I'm relatively normal as far as they see it. The only real noticeable aspect of my mild disorder is just over thinking and taking time when it comes to making decisions, but honestly, that's been much more of an advantage to me than a disadvantage.  :)

So legally/medically I'm mildly autistic. But as far as I perceive it, I'm relatively normal and quite average. :P

• Brohoof 2

@@Zygen

"Aww, c'mon.. Allow me to hump Zygen, because humping is kewl~! *hugs you*"

Now I want to ask you a question, something that's quite neat.

If you could ask anypony who has a diagnosis a question related to what they have, (( Note, they'll talk freely to you without them getting offended )) what would you ask, and what diagnosis would it be?

• Brohoof 2

Shrink = slang for psychologist/psychotherapist

Nah I do agree SOME people do have disabilities and such of the mind. But not to the false extent that we're seeing.

Its just easier to give a diagnoses these days than dealing with people apparently. 

I was much later diagnosed with Aspergers (during a time when aspergers was considered a false theory, and no more than someone stringing together a bunch of BS. So my diagnoses actually stands fairly real compared to modern ones where any anti social behavior = aspergers.. despite most that are claimed to have it are better off than most).

Seeing and digging deeper into it, I def fit the proper description. Especially after noticing a movie from the 70's about the condition (Mary and Max, its on netflix, and I def recommend it. Neat little claymation film about a guy from NYC with aspergers, and a girl from australia that has a very dysfunctional family. And how they became pen pals and best friends. I can SOO see myself doing what Max did as a street cleaner :P robot it up!... and also losing the job for the same reason... stupid unfun people...)

I'm a very fun person as I'm told. 

But most won't come near me because I come off as "odd" or "strange".. 

Even been asked if I was actually drunk or high before when I was completely sober :)

Having fun isn't a disability though, why should getting older mean I need to be a stiff old bat? Sure theres places to be serious (such as when I was in the military) but not always!

see your depressed, now we can find some pills for you too! 

I keed of course :P

But seriously, just be happy they haven't tried to saddle you with anything.

Ain't needed the pills I was prescribed ever, and I stopped taking them at 15 (15 years ago! heh...) without my parents knowing (was coughing them back up)

Served good time in the Military, and doing right good on my own... If I were still on the zombie pills I never would've been allowed into the service, and never had a chance at getting a decent enough job that would've landed me my house/land that I now have!

Oh ok, thank you for the clarification.

Yeah, i can agree.

And unfortunately probably true.

And i think you seem like a fun person.

And don't worry, i think people think the same about me when i'm in a more hyped mood ;p. And i've never drank or taken drugs ever in my life.

And yeah thats true, as long as its not harming anything, nothing wrong with fun :). And oh you xD, i think you make a good point there ;p.

Guess thats probably true, i don't really have plans to search for one actively, and even if i have one its not like i'll suddenly function different really.

I've been diagnosed with mild autism and aspergers,

Are they separating these now? Not only 13 or so years ago Aspergers was considered a mild for of "higher functioning" autism...

And tbh, aside from being capable of having an imagination beyond the age of 5 (when schools begin to try and force it out of you), I'm not seeing how its really all that bad myself.

The whole introvert thing isn't even that bad, or abnormal in any way...

But meh.. Be happy, some places I hear have actual disability ratings for Aspergers now (Read that it even gets a monthly stipend in canada as a disability)

And i think you seem like a fun pony.

I just realized.. Pony wise, you could say I'm not to far from Pinkie Pie.. except I don't try to make parties all the time. I just try to keep things happier and fun!  :P

Oh and I don't skip around..

I have taken recently to wearing a Rainbow Dash hoodie that has wings on it and carrying a red bull around in my pocket...

heh.. get it? Red bull.... Hoodie with wings... its so bad its hilarious...

Edited by GrimCW

I know some people who have much more minor forms of stuff, and i don't even know they have it until they mention it.

Like a girl who has Autism in my grade, but you really can't tell, so its not a very major case i guess.

She is still incredibly smart, one of the smartest in all of the school, and quite talented to. 

Seems like people with disorders are all insanely talented.

I have to admit i'm actually kinda jealous. Since i'm not nearly as talented as those people. Or alot of people really, i don't consider myself very talented at all infact.

Not all people with disorders are. It depends a lot on the disorder I think. I know most people with Aspergers are though.

Also, the guy who created a Pokemon had it. c: And, possibly Einstein, which is pretty cool.

And, I'm sure you have a talent for something. Everyone's gotta be good at something. Look harder! If you can't, visit a freakin optometrist! :P

• Brohoof 1

I've been diagnosed with mild autism and aspergers, and that's pretty much it. But it is not really much of a hindrance at all in my everyday life. I feel relatively normal. I am quite introverted and do not really consider myself to be the social and outgoing type but that's pretty much part of my personality. It's how I've always been. 

Heck, the government doesn't even see me as autistic. I'm relatively normal as far as they see it. The only real noticeable aspect of my mild disorder is just over thinking and taking time when it comes to making decisions, but honestly, that's been much more of an advantage to me than a disadvantage.  :)

So legally/medically I'm mildly autistic. But as far as I perceive it, I'm relatively normal and quite average. :P

Yeah i know a few mildly autistic people, and most have essentially overcome it. Like i said many you won't know unless you just end up hearing or ask.

I'm typically a bit more introverted, but have more recently become a bit more extroverted.

And makes sense to me.

Well, in my book, there is no reason to be lonely. You are my friend. Also! I didn't want that post to come off as, "Oh, you just can't understand how bad it is."

I am genuinely trying to give you a realistic definition of why it sucks. The extra attention even gets old after a while. No joke. You feel like a burden when everyone has to cater to your "needs". When you go somewhere, it is all your friends and family focus on.

Yeah i guess, i have plenty of people i know, but i do feel a bit lonely and excluded sometimes even then. But thanks :)

And no don't worry it didn't, i just don't think its something super easy to explain exactly all the way.

And i guess thats true, i'll be totally honest here that i had a point in time where i almost got jealous of the attention kids with disorders got sometimes, to the point where i wanted one for that. 

But your right, it does probably get old, and then you feel more a burden then anything. I mean i like attention(Who doesn't to an extent atleast?) and maybe sometimes i am even a big of an attention hog and like it to much, but even i'd get tired of the attention i'm sure.

Plus i would probably feel like a big burden, even as I am i feel kinda burdensome sometimes.

I try my best to not bring up peoples disorders like that though. Especially know knowing how it can make y'all feel.

Thanks again for your help and explanations :).

@@Zygen

"Aww, c'mon.. Allow me to hump Zygen, because humping is kewl~! *hugs you*"

Now I want to ask you a question, something that's quite neat.

If you could ask anypony who has a diagnosis a question related to what they have, (( Note, they'll talk freely to you without them getting offended )) what would you ask, and what diagnosis would it be?

It might be a little bit uncomfortable for me sorry, and my OC Zygen already has a marefriend. Sorry.

*hugs*

And honestly idk, i would maybe ask what they feel like, or something, but like thats so vague and hard to answer sometimes.

So really i honestly have no idea.

• Brohoof 1

@@Zygen

"Can I hump you and your mare friend~?" 

Meh, alright. I guess that would be the best answer for now. Anyways since Moon just wants to keep asking questions.. I'm just gonna go now. So yeah..

Take care :3

• Brohoof 1

Yea, I've got heart problems, I was born with it. one valve in my heart is messed up,and 2 of the 4 muscles around my heart have fused together into one big muscle.My heart is also bigger than it should be in comparison to my body size. I had/have a heart murmer to go along with it.

• Brohoof 1

Just how I feel! :3 Only I don't take a long time making decisions or over-thinking. Shyness and a mild sensitivity to light are the only symptoms I have. I do overreact to things sometimes, though. :P
  • Brohoof 2

I've been told by a doctor or two I "probably" have aspergers, but no true diagnosis to speak of; never actually went through the hoops to get it done.

But, I am definitely type 1 diabetic; I actually was diagnosed fairly late, at age 17. Insulin injections, pills and the lot. Not gonna lie, it sucks pretty hard haha.

• Brohoof 1

Are they separating these now? Not only 13 or so years ago Aspergers was considered a mild for of "higher functioning" autism...

And tbh, aside from being capable of having an imagination beyond the age of 5 (when schools begin to try and force it out of you), I'm not seeing how its really all that bad myself.

The whole introvert thing isn't even that bad, or abnormal in any way...

But meh.. Be happy, some places I hear have actual disability ratings for Aspergers now (Read that it even gets a monthly stipend in canada as a disability)

I just realized.. Pony wise, you could say I'm not to far from Pinkie Pie.. except I don't try to make parties all the time. I just try to keep things happier and fun!  :P

Oh and I don't skip around..

I have taken recently to wearing a Rainbow Dash hoodie that has wings on it and carrying a red bull around in my pocket...

heh.. get it? Red bull.... Hoodie with wings... its so bad its hilarious...

Schools do get kinda brainwashy i must say... Kinda sad.

Haha, well hai there then Pinkie pie ;p

Haha, Red bull and wings, I like it, i enjoy bad jokes.. i'm weird ;p.

Not all people with disorders are. It depends a lot on the disorder I think. I know most people with Aspergers are though.

Also, the guy who created a Pokemon had it. c: And, possibly Einstein, which is pretty cool.

And, I'm sure you have a talent for something. Everyone's gotta be good at something. Look harder! If you can't, visit a freakin optometrist! :P

Well, its not necessarily innate i guess, but i think most that affect the brain in some way do, because it can create extra talent somehow? Idk how it works exactly.

There are other things that people with different disorders sometimes have, i forget them all though, saw them somewhere when doing research one time.

And i guess thats true, i just feel kinda mediocre at alot of things i do. 

The longest i've stuck to anything is probably music, particularly playing trumpet, which is probably one of the few things i could be consider atleast decently good at, however even then i'm still not nearly as good as alot of the other trumpets in my section at alot of things.

So idk.

I'm pretty good at math to, or atleast i pick it up relatively easy.

On the flip side i don't feel like i have a good imagination, which kinda sucks, i wish i was better at creating more original things in my imagination and stuff.  Oh well.

Haha, why visit an optometrist? idk if i get it ;p.

Yea, I've got heart problems, I was born with it. one valve in my heart is messed up,and 2 of the 4 muscles around my heart have fused together into one big muscle.My heart is also bigger than it should be in comparison to my body size. I had/have a heart murmer to go along with it.

Yeah, one of my friends had to have her heart replaced or fixed or something when she was born, and she has to take medicine from then on. 

I am sorry to hear though, i wish you the best of luck in that your heart remains decently healthy.

I've been told by a doctor or two I "probably" have aspergers, but no true diagnosis to speak of; never actually went through the hoops to get it done.

But, I am definitely type 1 diabetic; I actually was diagnosed fairly late, at age 17. Insulin injections, pills and the lot. Not gonna lie, it sucks pretty hard haha.

I think my eye doctor told my parents that he thought me and my brother might be dyslexic, well actually i think he thought my brother was, but my parents dragged me into the mix.

So its actually entirely possible my brothers dyslexic, idk.

Pretty sure i'm not though.

Neither of us ever got officially tested however.

And yeah,  especially as someone with a huge freaking sweet tooth  diabetes would suck, oh and i hate needles to, even looking at them makes me feel pain.

Just how I feel! :3 Only I don't take a long time making decisions or over-thinking. Shyness and a mild sensitivity to light are the only symptoms I have. I do overreact to things sometimes, though. :P

i actually am pretty sensitive to the light, my mom mentioned it to the doctor, he just said it was probably a vitamin deficiency.

I'm still sensitive to the light a good bit though. Atleast i think in comparison to most people.

Obviously though that doesn't really mean i have a disorder ;p, just thought i'd say that.

• Brohoof 1

Are they separating these now? Not only 13 or so years ago Aspergers was considered a mild for of "higher functioning" autism... And tbh, aside from being capable of having an imagination beyond the age of 5 (when schools begin to try and force it out of you), I'm not seeing how its really all that bad myself.   The whole introvert thing isn't even that bad, or abnormal in any way...   But meh.. Be happy, some places I hear have actual disability ratings for Aspergers now (Read that it even gets a monthly stipend in canada as a disability)

From what I've heard recently, yeah the two are pretty much considered separated forms of mental disabilities. Autism is more or so related to socializing and communication issues, and Aspergers has more to do with memory. I can see how they are contingent with one another, but I guess if you want to be specific, then the two are actual separate disorders that so happen to commonly coincide together as common disorders for people like me. :P If that makes sense?

It's not bad at all, I agree. There's plenty of people who suffer from similar and even worse levels of such disorders and they turn out to be quite successful in life. 

But yeah I don't really know all that much about this stuff. All I know is just from what I've been hearing. :P lol Seems pretty accurate though, correct me if I'm wrong.

Yeah i know a few mildly autistic people, and most have essentially overcome it. Like i said many you won't know unless you just end up hearing or ask.   I'm typically a bit more introverted, but have more recently become a bit more extroverted.   And makes sense to me.

Yeah exactly. It's easy to overcome. In fact, it wasn't really that bad of a disorder to began with, at least for me. In sense, I could say that it really made my life, more interesting. I've just always thought and perceive things differently from most people. :P Sounds a bit weird, but in a sense, it made life interesting and overall, I'm quite happy with how I've turned out.  ^_^

You're autistic too? :)  I think that's pretty cool to meet another person who shares a similar ""disorder."" :P

And I get what you mean there. I have some sensitivity to light, like sometimes when the sun's shining brightly it tends to irritate me a little more than most people. But I'd say I am definitely mildly sensitive to most loud noises. Whether it be a nearby train whistle, or someone just randomly yelling out of nowhere nearby. :blink:

Then again, I'm not even sure if the sensitivity to loud noises has any relevance to my "mild autism."  ^_^
  • Brohoof 2

I think my eye doctor told my parents that he thought me and my brother might be dyslexic, well actually i think he thought my brother was, but my parents dragged me into the mix.

So its actually entirely possible my brothers dyslexic, idk.

Pretty sure i'm not though.

Neither of us ever got officially tested however.

And yeah,  especially as someone with a huge freaking sweet tooth  diabetes would suck, oh and i hate needles to, even looking at them makes me feel pain.

Meh, I don't usually have a massive craving for sweets, so it isn't too terrible. But yeah, the injections are a pain; I have no aversion to needles, but I am a bit of a wuss when it comes to pain, and sticking yourself does hurt a fair bit. :P And actually, now that I mention it, I suppose I oughta add myopia (nearsightedness) to the list of things I am diagnosed with. Its actually a side-effect of my diabetes (the time I went with it undiagnosed ruined my eyes a bit) that I have to wear glasses for, though.
  • Brohoof 1

I was born with a skin disease called Netherton Syndrome. It is a disease where the cells of the body have trouble holding in water. As a result of this the skin gets very dry and forms a type of peeling or crusting. It is also followed with an overwhelming itchiness that is pretty much uncontrollable and is dispersed at random times. There is no cure to the disease which sucks. Another thing that often comes with this disease is Bamboo Hair. Bamboo Hair is when the roots of the hair grow short and are not stable, which means they have trouble staying in. The hair tends to be short and spiky and continues to fall out.

In 1996 when i was born, the doctors did not know what I had because at the time the disease was considered rare, in fact it still is. My particular strand of the disease was so rare at the time of diagnosis that I was the 9th child to have the disease in the world. Don't get me wrong but there are thousands of people with the disease, but to different degrees, aka different strands and how much their body is affected.

People with this disease are often short in stature and can not really help this. Another lovely perk to this disease (sarcasm intended) is that people with it develop many allergies. Most often it is to nuts and fish.

Myself I am allergic to a bit more than that. I am allergic to all types of nuts, poultry, any crustation, eggs, and a few vegetables. So I really need to watch where things are manufactured and what is in the ingredients of foods.

• Brohoof 2

Pulling hair disorder? Interesting. Does it like cause you to excessively pull hair or something? I'm confused.

Yeah, pretty much. It's just an uncontrollable urge to pull out your own hair. That leads to embarrassing patches of course. Some even end up eating the hair they pull and which can lead to getting hairballs (I don't have it quite that bad though). Side effects may include self-esteem issues, excessive use of hats and frequently being the target of haircut jokes.  :)

• Brohoof 1

From what I've heard recently, yeah the two are pretty much considered separated forms of mental disabilities. Autism is more or so related to socializing and communication issues, and Aspergers has more to do with memory

Memory? In what way?

They've literally re-written the diagnosis on Aspergers then, because the version I speak of had been about for ages, and was the subject in the movie I mentioned before (Mary and Max)

And Max def had no memory problems..

just anti social and the usual "child like attitude" or "regression" of sorts...

Nor was this in any of the multitude of Books I read of the subject that dated back as far...

ugh... sciencey people screwing with things again..

This is why I like Edgar Allen Poe and his words "All geniuses are assholes"

Edited by GrimCW
  • Brohoof 2

Memory? In what way?

They've literally re-written the diagnosis on Aspergers then, because the version I speak of had been about for ages, and was the subject in the movie I mentioned before (Mary and Max)

And Max def had no memory problems..

just anti social and the usual "child like attitude" or "regression" of sorts...

Nor was this in any of the multitude of Books I read of the subject that dated back as far...

ugh... sciencey people screwing with things again..

This is why I like Edgar Allen Poe and his words "All geniuses are assholes"

Well science is an ever changing field of knowledge, so further discoveries and insights over time can easily and drastically alter some simple aspects here and there.

But yeah AS has a little more to do with the sensory and motor perceptions of the brain. As a result some people diagnosed with AS tend to face deficits involving visual memory. :P

• Brohoof 1

And dang, never heard of that before, but sounds pretty awesome, always nice to have i guess random immunities.

it is genetic, my father has it too... it is because italiy was filled with swamp so Malaria was everywhere.. we developed immunity in this way... also the same immunity goes with the aids.. the problem is that cut and bleeding take more time to close and also every blood cell carry less oxigen than usually so i get tired soon... but non a real problem :) the real name is "mediterrane anemie" since you can find it only on country near this sea :)

• Brohoof 1

I didn't know Dyspraxia was under the autism spectrum, nor dyslexia. I actually researched Dyslexia and its related disorders a good bit to when i was on my quest to find out if i was really dyslexic as my parents though( I wasn't, or atleast i don't believe i am, technically i've never had an official test, but i doubt i have it.)

And that sounds annoying, i already bump into enough things, and i don't even have Dyspraxia or anything.

And i guess theres upsides and downsides to everything, crappy short term memory for a good long term i suppose.

That sucks, well best of luck to you then.

It used to be known as as Child Brain Damage as it effected their abilty to learn to walk (the child learns 'other' ways of moving, like buttscutting or climbing on things backwards like I did XD) until folks started delving a little deeper into what was causing it, it has other effects too like not being able to control the volume of your voice, because of the logic problem, dyspaxic folks have a tendancy to say things twice, even tho they may have just said it moments ago. 

Totalbiscuit has dyspraxia, as does Daniel Radcliffe (Harry Potter).

• Brohoof 1

I still have that odd curiosity for what it'd be like to have something like that, but still. Very good point though.

I can of course understand that curiosity, I suppose the best way I can explain it is this. Lets say there is a TV and on that TV the volume is set at 10 which to most people is a comfortable volume, not too quiet not too loud. To an individual with Autism due to the unique way their processes sensory information that TV volume may as well be set to 30, 50 or sometimes even higher depending on the severity of their sensitivities. This makes it more difficult to process sensory information such as social cues for example and cause cases of sensory over stimulation/overload which are extremely unpleasant and in some cases even painful. This can make it difficult to focus on multiple different things at once and often forces me to shut down certain parts of my brain so I don't get overloaded. This cannot be completely cured but can be treated with sensory integration as well as various behavioral and cognitive therapies. 

And as I have said before it can make interpreting social cues very difficult, most people are able to learn social cues relatively quickly and easily but an individual with Autism has to be trained to learn them as if they are learning a another language entirely and to many us that is indeed what it feels like. As unpleasant as this can sometimes be it does have its advantages many people with Autism become extremely gifted in particular areas of interest because this difference in the way they process information causes them to have a very intense focus which they often use as a source of comfort in dealing with a very confusing often contradictory sensory world around them. This can lead to some obsessions which can sometimes be unhealthy but if properly managed by allowing to express their interests in healthy socially responsible ways they can have that source of comfort and develop affirming hobbies and passions which can in some cases turn into lucrative careers. 

It is this intense focus which is much of the reason why I have done so well academically, once I am interested in a subject I can't get enough of it I want to learn everything about it. I watched the History Channel back when it remembered it was the History Channel, Animal Planet, Discovery Channel and am now addicted to the Science Channel. I have read enough to rival even the likes of Twilight Sparkle, I used to have difficulties with language but am now able to speak more clearly and concisely than even most adults.

Some people consider Aspergers and Autism to be seperate disorders but as someone with Autism I believe that Aspergers is part of the Autism spectrum. I myself was diagnosed with low functioning Autism as the doctor though he was right about me having it was wrong about the form I had. When I was first diagnosed and through most of early childhood I exhibited many traits which most people think of when they think of Autism but as I got older I exhibited traits much more closely associated with Aspergers than with "classic Autism". I really think that people get far too caught up in labels though, but even many people that are higher up on the Autism spectrum can still have certain challenges that they need help for. I have advanced to the point where most people can't tell I have Autism but though I am much more independent than I was before I still need help in some areas but am determined to become independent.

• Brohoof 2