Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who was disappointed by today's new episode, Flight to the finish?

Never2muchpinkie

Ever since I saw the mini clip of DT and SS making fun of Scootaloo for not flying I was anxiously impatiently awaiting this episode, believing it would finally answer the question of whether Scootaloo would fly or not. That question still hasn't been answered, which was really a killer for me. At the end of the episode they zoom in on Scootaloo's wings and she gasps, and you think maybe she's going to try flying again, but nope. It's a meaningless close-up, because they just bring up the tired cliche of Show Stoppers where they think they'll get a cutie mark for something else and one of the ponies gives an exasperated look.

It isn't exactly a bad episode, but I was let down by the hype and expectations. If SS and DT really wanted to break up the team, why focus on Scootaloo alone, except to toy with the fans who really wanted that question answered.  They could have just as easily gone after Sweetie Belle too and bring up her lack of magic, except for one little 'burst.'

I didn't really care for the song, but that's just an opinion, although it's strange that they use the term 'horses' considering they're all considered ponies.  The actions of the CMC felt out of character, like they were trying too hard to force the lesson of the episode. You mad, Scootaloo? :umad:  Well then screw you we don't need you on our team. What? :eww:

I thought the ending felt too tacked on and rushed, just jamming their victory in at the last minute.

I did like seeing Scootaloo's room, although her family situation is still unaccounted for, AGAIN!

• Brohoof 2

I also felt that this episode didn't live up to the quality that we've seen from the rest of the season so far. I didn't like the "scootaloo is defective" thing from the start, but the whole thing felt diluted. If you're going to put stuff like that in there, don't skim the surface! It just makes everything feel cheap.

Just my opinion.

• Brohoof 5

Not only was I disappointed in it, I hated it. Storyline was amazing, from what I saw; I fell in love with the show for the characters, though, and this was one of the worst episodes when it came to characters yet.

Except for Scootaloo and RD, the characters were all bland. 

This is the 2nd straight RD-heavy episode, which I have a major problem with.

Furthermore, I don't recall seeing any of the other members of the mane 6 in there, which I have an even bigger problem with.

Scootaloo was good. :D I feel bad for Scootaloo, because I loved her in this episode, but I hate the episode itself.

I mean, storyline was good, but when it came to characters, character usage, character portrayal, etc., it sucked.

It's not only the current title-holder of my least favorite episode of season 4, it's in the bottom 5 of the series.

Because I fell in love with the show for the characters, not the story. 

And this episode almost abused the rest of the mane 6 and the other 2 CMCs.

Edited by ~Sadistic ghostfk39~
  • Brohoof 4

I liked this episode!

Although, you are right, I do find it odd how they just tackled scootaloo alone, when sweetie belle can't use magic as well for being a unicorn.

The song was adorable and great, although using the term horses did seem a bit odd.

The one thing I would've like to see was at least more of the ending, the ending felt a bit rushed, as we didn't get to see what did the others do for their talent.

Other than that, it was another great episode, despite a few mishaps I encountered.  

• Brohoof 3

"Hype and expectations" "HYPE AND EXCPECTATIONS"

That is your problem. That is the problem with this fandom as a whole now. If you hype up something enough, anything can be disappointing. I think the episode was perfectly fine. The clear focus was on Scootaloo here, so of course the other characters would take a complete backseat. This is not the first occurrence of that.

And the episode did make considerable progress with that question. Now the characters fully acknowledge Scootaloo's inability with flight and she even said that her wings may never grow to be able to fly. Is that not good enough? It isn't a complete concrete answer, but it might be the closest we can get at this point.

Everything else was fine in my opinion as well. The ending did not zoom on her wings, it was her flank. It was hinting at her Cutie Mark, not her trying to fly again. And yeah, they did that 'clichè' again. So what? That is just the CMC's for you. I thought we already established this. At least it was at the very end of the episode instead of it again being the main focus.

So yeah. To each their own, but I really enjoyed it. The song and Ms. Harshwhinny were great too. Maybe if people would stop hyping everything up to the moon and expecting this or that, then maybe disappointment wouldn't happen. Just a thought.

Edited by Kyoshi
  • Brohoof 21

They could have just as easily gone after Sweetie Belle too and bring up her lack of magic, except for one little 'burst.'

It could be that Magic takes a little longer to learn. The said, "at your age" so apparently Pegasi as Scootaloo's age can normally fly.

No info about Unicorn magic though.

I was a little more disappointed that Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon have yet to really be punished for their actions.

Punishment isn't really what the show is about and they never get what they want, but I think it's coming to them.

And yes, them dodging out of whether Scootaloo will be able to ever fly or not kinda sucks.

But I was okay with the episode over all. It seemed to be over really quickly though.

I honestly cannot see why this episode is so popular, other than the Scootalove scenario -_-

I think that might be the only reason people liked it so much, and honestly, when you've got a disappointment thread with more positive reviews than negative, and most of them are simple "I loved this episode!" With no reasons given, you really start to question whether most of the people are thinking for themselves or not.

I'm being blunt here, sorry if I offend you, but that's my opinion on this episode, and I'm not saying you're wrong for liking this episode, and I'm right for hating it, but damn. It really just tossed all the characters aside for the RD/Scootaloo bond, from the way I see it, and I don't approve of that.

• Brohoof 2

Now the characters fully acknowledge Scootaloo's inability with flight and she even said that her wings may never grow to be able to fly. Is that not good enough?

I think people wanted to know if she's disabled or not.

I think having a disabled character would be really interesting and I've seen other "kid's shows" do it.

But we're right back where we started, not knowing if she's disabled or just a late bloomer.

C'mon guys, why is everyone so negative all the time? Everyone talks about how much they love the show, then turn around and be negative and impossible to please!

• Brohoof 5

I think people wanted to know if she's disabled or not.

I think having a disabled character would be really interesting and I've seen other "kid's shows" do it.

But we're right back where we started, not knowing if she's disabled or just a late bloomer.

Then again this is the first time the show has acknowledged at all that she cannot fly. That would be a bit fast in that sense wouldn't it? Sure, WE have known and speculated, but this is the first time it has ever been brought up.

I honestly cannot see why this episode is so popular, other than the Scootalove scenario -_-

I think that might be the only reason people liked it so much, and honestly, when you've got a disappointment thread with more positive reviews than negative, and most of them are simple "I loved this episode!" With no reasons given, you really start to question whether most of the people are thinking for themselves or not.

I'm being blunt here, sorry if I offend you, but that's my opinion on this episode, and I'm not saying you're wrong for liking this episode, and I'm right for hating it, but damn. It really just tossed all the characters aside for the RD/Scootaloo bond, from the way I see it, and I don't approve of that.

Uh-huh....

On the rest of it, this is not the first time characters have been tossed to the side. Clearly. Why is this a problem now?

• Brohoof 2

Uh-huh....

On the rest of it, this is not the first time characters have been tossed to the side. Clearly. Why is this a problem now?

It hasn't been a problem yet this season (or, at least, nothing to complain about), and I always have problems with the episodes that toss the other characters aside.

It wasn't my favorite episode by far and much like Castle Mane-ia it was a safe episode. We did get some more about Scootaloo, but nothing we can really hang our hats on.

As far as SS and DT I think losing was punishment enough for them. Getting yelled out what not phase them, but losing to the CMC was hard for them.

It hasn't been a problem yet this season (or, at least, nothing to complain about), and I always have problems with the episodes that toss the other characters aside.

It is to be expected though, you cannot expect every episode to feature every possible main-ish character. There would be no room if that were the case. Having these episodes bring diversity and time for other characters to shine and/or develop.

• Brohoof 5

Then again this is the first time the show has acknowledged at all that she cannot fly. That would be a bit fast in that sense wouldn't it? Sure, WE have known and speculated, but this is the first time it has ever been brought up.

Yeah I can appreciate that.

I've heard a lot of people going. "She can fly!!" while pointing at her hovering.

Hovering six inches off the ground for ten seconds is not flying. And the show confirms that to be true.

As far as SS and DT I think losing was punishment enough for them. Getting yelled out what not phase them, but losing to the CMC was hard for them.

Getting yelled at is not a punishment.

But you couldn't really punish them for this. It was really harsh, nasty verbal bullying, but if the girls don't tell anyone about it, then nothing can be done.

There just seems to be this real cycle of them being mean and trying to get what they want, then not getting what they want, and then running of the pout, then coming right back. They don't learn and this crap isn't okay.

It is to be expected though, you cannot expect every episode to feature every possible main-ish character. There would be no room if that were the case. Having these episodes bring diversity and time for other characters to shine and/or develop.

I don't. I'd like at least 2 or 3, but meh, it's whatever.

Really, though, we had Daring Don't last week, which, it did give a little time to the other characters, but was obviously an RD-heavy episode, so I can't complain. 

But, then, this week, we get another RD-laden episode, and this time, it's all about something the fans went crazy over last season.

Honestly...this episode could've waited a few weeks. Give the other characters some time to shine.

• Brohoof 1

Yeah I can appreciate that.

I've heard a lot of people going. "She can fly!!" while pointing at her hovering.

Hovering six inches off the ground for ten seconds is not flying. And the show confirms that to be true.

Getting yelled at is not a punishment.

But you couldn't really punish them for this. It was really harsh, nasty verbal bullying, but if the girls don't tell anyone about it, then nothing can be done.

There just seems to be this real cycle of them being mean and trying to get what they want, then not getting what they want, and then running of the pout, then coming right back. They don't learn and this crap isn't okay.

Clearly you don't have kids. :) Yelling is punishment for mine. They have a cycle because they are plot tools and not fully realized characters. They are mean girls.

I don't. I'd like at least 2 or 3, but meh, it's whatever.

Really, though, we had Daring Don't last week, which, it did give a little time to the other characters, but was obviously an RD-heavy episode, so I can't complain. 

But, then, this week, we get another RD-laden episode, and this time, it's all about something the fans went crazy over last season.

Honestly...this episode could've waited a few weeks. Give the other characters some time to shine.

Which they obviously will have their moments this season, they just didn't do it in accordance to how you wanted them to do it. It is an unneeded expectation and again I feel like that is a problem in this fandom. The writers cannot please everyone.

Which they obviously will have their moments this season, they just didn't do it in accordance to how you wanted them to do it. It is an unneeded expectation and again I feel like that is a problem in this fandom. The writers cannot please everyone.

I do think they can try to spread the wealth a little better, but that's just me.

You know, it's been 2 years since Rarity has had an episode, AJ is called a background pony by some members of the fandom, and Pinkie and Fluttershy get 1 or 2 episodes a season, same for the CMCs. Other than that, it's all been Twilight and Rainbow Dash. Quite frankly, it's wearing on me.

• Brohoof 4

Clearly you don't have kids. :) Yelling is punishment for mine. They have a cycle because they are plot tools and not fully realized characters. They are mean girls.

No, but I've been one.

Scolding was what was used when they wanted to get us to cut something out. Yelling wasn't used until punishment was imminent. By the time yelling was involved, it was about to followed with a timeout or spanking (when I was younger, and spanking was what you got when you did something they NEVER wanted you to do again) or a grounding (when I was older, and times would differ depending on the infraction).

But yes, they are plot tools. But there should be a bit more addressed here.

Those two gots ta learn a lesson. They're apparently too thick to figure it out on their own that they should just mind their own business.

I do think they can try to spread the wealth a little better, but that's just me.

You know, it's been 2 years since Rarity has had an episode, AJ is called a background pony by some members of the fandom, and Pinkie and Fluttershy get 1 or 2 episodes a season, same for the CMCs. Other than that, it's all been Twilight and Rainbow Dash. Quite frankly, it's wearing on me.

It is confirmed that Rarity is getting more than one episode and we are only 5 episodes in of a 26 episode season. Give it some time....

• Brohoof 2

Give the other characters some time to shine.

While it had a healthy amount of Dash, it was still primarily a Scootaloo episode, who has been relatively starved for screentime. Her never getting an episode was even a meme. As with last season, they had an early CMC episode. I'm all for spreading the screentime and importance among the characters, and they certainly need to give Rarity, AJ and other ponies some attention, but I don't think having a CMC episode is anything to worry about. We're getting AJ in a few weeks and Rarity and Pinkie right after that anyway. Not too concerned about distribution of screentime this season myself, aside from the inevitable focus on Twilight.

As for me, I was hoping the episode would focus a little more on Scootaloo actually. But there was a good point made in the episode about her treating everything like it was all about her anyway, and like their performance it was balanced and showed the friendship of the Crusaders, so I have little problem swallowing that. This was probably my favorite episode of the season so far, actually. I was disappointed that we didn't see a little more of Scoots' relationship with Rainbow Dash, but what we did see was very heartwarming and cute. Overall I'm very satisfied with it.

Edited by DashForever
  • Brohoof 1