Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Who was disappointed by today's new episode, Flight to the finish?

Never2muchpinkie

She is. I'm still stuck wondering, because of this fact , why Sadistic takes her seriously when she was never meant to be.

And for this :D

I don't take her seriously. 

I don't like her, though, and I think her humor is tasteless, if even funny.  I don't have to like her, do I? :D

So, are all questions answered? :D

Sorry habit, I have a bad habit of picturing people based on their icons so I tend to think female charater=female user out of habit. 

It's cool, dude :D

This thread has gotten way off-topic, by the way. :lol:

Edited by ~Sadistic ghostfk39~

If I could negative the OP, I totally would.  If Scoots learned to fly, what kind of message would that send?  "Hey, kids, the bullies are right and you're useless without a skill everyone wants you to have."  The presentation the CMC gave was perfect and didn't need Scootaloo to fly.  Scootaloo was just letting Diamond Tiara and Silver Spoon get to her and trying to fly for all the wrong reasons.  What did Rainbow Dash say about her not being able to fly?  "Doesn't matter.  You're pretty awesome anyway."  Yeah, that's a pretty good lesson.  Her flying at the end would cheapen that lesson.

• Brohoof 2

I have a lot to say on the episode as a whole, but find myself in a position where I lack the time to have them all voiced fully.  Maybe if I ever get around to that YouTube analysis series I shall, but ah well.

In a nutshell I believe that this episode, like the episode before it, was good (this one more so than the last), however it's ultimate defect was that they did not have sufficient time to explore the conflicts that had been introduced.  We could have seen a lot more in-depth with Scootaloo, just as we could have come to understand Daring Do a bit better in Daring Don't.  However they had to cram everything into 22 minutes, and as such some things were lost "in translation," as it were.  Thinking as a writer, and a screen writer no less, there are a lot of variables to consider when a story does not seem to be delivering in such a way that it, as it seems, should.  However, in general I don't go into an episode of MLP bearing the burden of expectations, and as a result I am never truly disappointed, but instead left with a sense of minor disappointment by the lack of some things which I would have liked to see in the episode.

Well that's my two bits at any rate.

Edited by SilverQuill

I do think they can try to spread the wealth a little better, but that's just me.

You know, it's been 2 years since Rarity has had an episode, AJ is called a background pony by some members of the fandom, and Pinkie and Fluttershy get 1 or 2 episodes a season, same for the CMCs. Other than that, it's all been Twilight and Rainbow Dash. Quite frankly, it's wearing on me.

^ I'm glad someone else noticed this.

I don't think this season is done with Dash by a loooong shot. They'll find some way to shoe horn her in; look at how bad it was in season 3. :/

• Brohoof 1

A little disappointing after waiting a week and waking up earlier than usual, but I still liked it.

I'm perfectly fine with scoots not being able to fly, in fact, I think it makes her character more interesting. For some reason, her not getting her cutie mark really made me frustrated. At the time, I thought it was the perfect episode for her to earn her cutie mark. But, now that I think about it, it's a bit too early in the series for her to earn her cutie mark and this disappointment will make the moment when she finally does earn her cutie mark that much more satisfying. 

Edited by Axtev

I was. I expected a very emotive episode. Also, dat ending . . . even Magical Mystery Tour episode was that rushed.

Now I'm putting my eye on "Rarity takes Manhattan", but I'm not going to even get a minimal amount of hype, because the writers haven't even matched my expectations this season.

I'll see if they do with "Rarity takes Manhattan" another meh episode, or something interesting like "Suited for Success".

I was. I expected a very emotive episode. Also, dat ending . . . even Magical Mystery Tour episode was that rushed.

Now I'm putting my eye on "Rarity takes Manhattan", but I'm not going to even get a minimal amount of hype, because the writers haven't even matched my expectations this season.

I'll see if they do with "Rarity takes Manhattan" another meh episode, or something interesting like "Suited for Success".

I really liked this episode, it feels like a while since we had a cutie Mark crusader episode. I think that was one of the main reasons I loved this episode as much as I did. What is it with Hub Shows focusing on one specific character though? Now, don't get me wrong, I love RD. But, for this episode she really didn't have a "Major" role. RD may have been in it, but it was all about the Crusaders. And they haven't had the Spotlight for a little while now.

In my opinion I think the episode was great  BUT there are some major things that bug. Personally (as in my own opinion, don't take it as the holy opinion that has the infinite answer) you got the ending wrong, when they zoom in on her flank and wings it meant that the CMC can continue searching for the butt-tattoos (gee, I wonder where have I heard that before?). Many people (myself included)  thought she was gonna get her cutie mark "but nooooo!" instead we got trolled! XD I would also like to say that they handled the concept of Scootloo being handicapped decently.........believe me I do, but I wish they talked about it for idk 5 more mins?  

The only thing that really disappoints me is that they keep shoving Rainbow Dash down our throats. We need to focus on another pony. Pinkie? Rarity? Fluttershy? I'd even take Applejack.

• Brohoof 1

The only thing that really disappoints me is that they keep shoving Rainbow Dash down our throats. We need to focus on another pony. Pinkie? Rarity? Fluttershy? I'd even take Applejack.

All of the above will be in the coming weeks. No Dash-heavy episodes for over a month, confirmed.

Edited by BalanceBrony

If you read my arguments from earlier, you'd have your answer :D

Yeahh, I guess my view is odd, but it's sincere. I fell in love with the show because of the characters, and I can guess the story correctly about 90% of the time (Admittedly, I didn't guess the plot right with this episode :P) The characters are what matter to me most :D

And this is honestly my only complaint about the show itself, is the spread of screentime. (I feel like a broken record :D) I don't think they all get enough love, especially AJ and Rarity. 

Other than that, I love watching the show, and there's only a couple of episodes I don't like because of a different reason than character distribution. :D

The show shouldn't be trying to have a fair amount of screentime for each character, it should be trying to tell good stories, because good characters can't do anything to save a bad story. If there's a good story to be written about a certain character, than okay, they can do that, but if there isn't, there's no reason. Maybe they haven't written much Rarity episodes because they haven't been able to think of any good ones for a while? What do you want them to do, crap out mediocre episodes that have Rarity and other underused characters starring in them? Do you really think that's worth it? You should care about the quality of the show itself, not just seeing your favorite characters get screen time.

As for the episode, I'll just repost my thoughts from the episode's thread on this forum:

Eh, it was okay, but nothing special. The part about scoots accepting that she can't and may never fly was a bit touching, that was really all I cared about in this episode. The plot was predictable from start the finish, and wasn't really interesting overall. Characters want to win in some talent-type show, bullies try to sabotage them by making one of them feel inadequate, she gets over it, than they win. That's it. The song was alright but wasn't great. I didn't find the episode funny either, but at this point I've given up hope of this show being consistently funny so whatevs.

Overall, a forgettable episode that could have never existed and I wouldn't have cared. Well, at least there were no plot holes, I think.

Edited by Sir Wulfington

RD had a very good literary purpose in the story.  First, she amplified Scootaloo's excitement.  She also was a necessary vehicle to deliver the lesson.

• Brohoof 1

LOL the opening has the funniest fan homage of the actual show.

and that was a new writer?   I really appreciate this episode more.  I mean for a first shot that was amazing.

i'm only 50 seconds in and the fanboying is though the ceiling  LOL oh my God this hysterical.i

they totally captured why i fanboyed over diamond t and silver spoons in words I didn't even have.

"assholes 101."

it was a magical moment.

Edited by FNGRpony

I liked the episode. We had already known that Scootaloo can't fly. They showed the viewer but didn't tell. Now we know for certain. I like to think that in "Ponyville Confidential", the birds laughing at her inability to fly was almost a sort of foreshadowing of her future problems. But as we should recall, Fluttershy couldn't fly either in her youth so we shouldn't have expected that the Scootaloo flying business could have been resolved in this episode. All three seem to have problems, it was simply that it was Scootaloo's episode. I don't look ahead through the season so I can't say if this will be an ongoing trend in order to close the CMC story arc, ending with their cutie marks. I would like it to end eventually but if it is meant to take years then it can only end in the finale as the three of them reminisce about it. The song was great too. So I guess I would say that I am not disappointed in it and it ranks higher than the prior one due to the fact that it adds and does not detract from the story of the CMC. Also, I feel that the writers shouldn't be forced to include the mane six in every episode like some are implying should happen. That would be boring and unneeded. I feel that most of the mane six wasn't needed in "Daring Don't". It's good that they didn't take up space in episode five.

All of the above will be in the coming weeks. No Dash-heavy episodes for over a month, confirmed.

^ While I wish that were true, you can't confirm this. A lot of writers seem to love using Dash and she has a habit of popping in episodes  and taking larger roles than expected: Game Ponies Play, Dragon Quest, Too Many Pinkie Pies.

RD had a very good literary purpose in the story.  First, she amplified Scootaloo's excitement.  She also was a necessary vehicle to deliver the lesson.

Yes and No. She is Scootaloo's mentor and idol, so she has to be seen giving support. But in this case, Fluttershy would have been better to deliver the overall message.

--

• Brohoof 1

^ While I wish that were true, you can't confirm this. A lot of writers seem to love using Dash and she has a habit of popping in episodes  and taking larger roles than expected: Game Ponies Play, Dragon Quest, Too Many Pinkie Pies.

Yes and No. She is Scootaloo's mentor and idol, so she has to be seen giving support. But in this case, Fluttershy would have been better to deliver the overall message.

--

Next week is a Mane Six episode. The following week is about fruit bats, so I can only think of AJ or Fluttershy being the major players. After that, Rarity. After that, Pinkie. These are all confirmed, except for my assumption about the fruit bats one, but it is an educational guess.

Assuming they maintain the logic of having characters do what they do best, fruits bats will be AJ (since it most affects her) or Fluttershy (because animals). Other possibilities are it being a Mane 6 episode, or Twilight episode. I see no context in which Dash will be the most useful in dealing with an infestation.

And even if they do somehow make it Dash-centered (which I don't think they will), it will be one episode . The other 3 are guaranteed to be non Dash-heavy. And 4 episodes make one month of pony.

Edited by BalanceBrony

I honestly loved today's episode. It wasn't disappointing to the extent this thread suggests. The only disappointing thing in my opinion was the song. It wasn't as catchy or wholesome as Ingram's other songs. Other than that, I love the fact that Rainbow Dash acts as a mentor for the Cutie Mark Crusaders, something you don't see every day. It shows that she has the potential to be a good mentor too.

• Brohoof 2

• 1 year later...

I think we need a way to establish episode "types" and use those as templates to make sure everyone gets even screen time. An example of a show i think is like this is Spongebob. There are the krusty krab episodes, annoy squidward episodes, general havoc and destruction episodes and jellyfishing episodes.

Some type suggestions I have are 1. CMC, cutie map, 2. focused on particular character, 3. focused on popular parings of characters, 4. princess twilight episodes that focus on her royal duties and focused on background characters