Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Welcome to Galaxy

Twilight Sparkle ✨

(edited)

We've got a shiny new server named Galaxy with CleverKite! The coolest part of it is that the server doesn't use a single hard drive - everything is stored on solid state disks (SSD's), which provide significantly better performance.

I haven't even re-activated the content delivery network yet, but the forums have been running absolutely blazing fast since the move. I hope you all appreciate the boost! Galaxy will be far better able to deal with future growth and traffic than Azuras.

Original post below:

In response to the recent server issues that have been plaguing us, I've ordered a new cloud server from CleverKite. CleverKite's servers use solid state disks exclusively, which they claim provide 40-50 times better performance than hard drives. I'm moving to them following the recommendation of a friend, who hosts a couple of very high-traffic websites with them.

I'm waiting for the server's initial setup to finish. Sometime later tonight, if all goes to plan, I'm going to take MLP Forums down to move it across. I've set the TTL for our domain to 5 minutes, so the domain's DNS should update to point at the new domain quite quickly.

I expect the entire process to take anywhere from 1 to 3 hours once it begins, but it's possible (but very unlikely) that MLP Forums might be down for up to 72 hours.

Edited by Supreme Autocrat Twi S. Feld Ø
We're now up and running on Galaxy!
  • Brohoof 12

Good Luck!

If it isn't too much to ask...Will this affect the expenses of running this site a lot? Specifically will this new server be costing the forums more or less than the current amount? Maybe it will stay roughly the same? I still can't get a hold of a credit card to donate...so I hope that this change won't dent the forums too badly.

Sounds good to me, even if it takes 72 hours an increase in performance is always welcome!

Good Luck!

If it isn't too much to ask...Will this affect the expenses of running this site a lot? Specifically will this new server be costing the forums more or less than the current amount? Maybe it will stay roughly the same? I still can't get a hold of a credit card to donate...so I hope that this change won't dent the forums too badly.

CleverKite will probably be more economical, actually. ;)

The new server's ready! Time to move the forums.

We're now running on Galaxy, the new server!

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

AH YEAH! I FEEL THE SPEED!!!!

Edit: No really, this is definitely much faster. Page response times look like they are less than a half of what they were before. Of course, not too many people are online, but I bet things will hold up nicely at primetime tomorrow.

Now I can post at least twice as fast. Let the mods beware.... (Just kidding!)

Edited by HAL 9000
  • Brohoof 2

Fast, efficient, and the site is noticeably faster than before!

Posted Image

THE FASTNES HAS BEEN DOUBLED. Thank you!

Has this fixed the problem with the chatroom bar scrolling up automatically in all its annoyance?

• Brohoof 2

Has this fixed the problem with the chatroom bar scrolling up automatically in all its annoyance?

Negative, the chat is a separate beast all together. ;)

Welcome aboard :)

Wow, Orien! I didn't expect to see you join up here! :o Thanks for the excellent service so far! I look forward to moving my other sites onto your platform in the coming days.

For the uninitiated, Orien is the founder and owner of CleverKite (and his account is real - I checked the email address). He is nothing short of awesome, and I'm proud to be doing business with him.

• Brohoof 1

The website is really faster! It hasnt froze all day for me! (It used to always freeze on my computer)

Maybe it's just me but I think it's alot slower than before. :/

(edited)

Kinda sad too see Azuras leave... :(

Even if (she?) was pretty slow...

Galaxy is awesome. It's like...some over-used analogy with hot-knives and butter---twice. :D

But here I am...obnoxiously questioning everything...again:

What do you plan to do with Azuras? Will (she?) be disposed of, sold, tucked away in a closet somewhere, or used somewhere else (FELD0'S STARTING A TOTALLY REAL, NOT RUMOR, NEW SITE! SPREAD THE WORD EVERYPONY!)

If you are getting rid of her, do it gently. Azuras and I were secretly sneaking away to Vegas every Thursday night to party with the other servers until the next Thursday--needless to say, we were best buds for life.

Edited by Fghik

Maybe it's just me but I think it's alot slower than before. :/

It might be due to the CDN currently being disabled, once that comes back things should kick off quite nicely.

Kinda sad too see Azuras leave... :(

Azuras is still here - simply demoted to the Feldian Network file serving packmule.

Isn't it sad, Azuras~ ;_;

I just re-enabled the CDN a couple of hours ago. The site should be absolutely screaming with speed now, if it wasn't already. :D

Kinda sad too see Azuras leave... Posted Image

Even if (she?) was pretty slow...

Galaxy is awesome. It's like...some over-used analogy with hot-knives and butter---twice. Posted Image

But here I am...obnoxiously questioning everything...again:

What do you plan to do with Azuras? Will (she?) be disposed of, sold, tucked away in a closet somewhere, or used somewhere else (FELD0'S STARTING A TOTALLY REAL, NOT RUMOR, NEW SITE! SPREAD THE WORD EVERYPONY!)

If you are getting rid of her, do it gently. Azuras and I were secretly sneaking away to Vegas every Thursday night to party with the other servers until the next Thursday--needless to say, we were best buds for life.

I'm still keeping Azuras around for hosting my clients' websites, the Minecraft server, and Pony.fm's music files. ;)

Hah, when I saw your status saying "Welcome to Galaxy" I thought of Super Mario Galaxy almost immediately xD But yeah... I love this new server now :D So fast, it's like someone soaped up a slide real good and launched a ball down it, only for the ball to zoom straight into the sky, several feet into the air xD What I'm saying is, I LOVE this fast speed!!!

And upon you mentioning Pony.fm, any thought on an estimated date for the site to open up, or are you waiting until it's near completion?

• Brohoof 1

Hah, when I saw your status saying "Welcome to Galaxy" I thought of Super Mario Galaxy almost immediately xD But yeah... I love this new server now :D So fast, it's like someone soaped up a slide real good and launched a ball down it, only for the ball to zoom straight into the sky, several feet into the air xD What I'm saying is, I LOVE this fast speed!!!

And upon you mentioning Pony.fm, any thought on an estimated date for the site to open up, or are you waiting until it's near completion?

Ah, Super Mario Galaxy... so many good memories. I'll have to go and beat it for the third time someday.

I have an internal window in mind for the beginning of the closed alpha, which several prominent brony composers will partake in, a public beta sometime later, and followed by a launch sometime in 2012.

Development on it is a bit sporadic because of school and whatnot, so I'm hesitant to give anyone any dates. I'd rather just work on the project at a pace that makes sense for me and make it a high-quality site.

• Brohoof 1