Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

spike down there with snips and snails?

FNGRpony

I really respect tommy olivers veiws, but i can think for myself when i don't agree,

um..... around the 8:30 of the vid he makes some pretty hard points about him being a second tear character,

who's there to just be what ever the writers need.

he goes on to say spike has no journey, he has no characterization, that he is only a tool to advance one of the main characters to grow and evolve,

and it's a lack of respect for the characater from the writing staff.

descenting opinions?

I keep wanting to be more invest in spike,

i mean he's twilights' best friend,

and twilight is best pony,

• Brohoof 3

I agree! Spike is way better than snips and snails... They are just whiny and suck ups... Spike is loyal to twilight and a key character outside the mane 6... He keeps her grounded

Okay that works.

would you say spike is more of a brother to twilight than shinning armor?

Edited by SolarFox
Quotes hidden post

I am actually being serious here but Spike is the kind of fellow that comes to help when one of the ponies is in need and he is the last hope, while he might not seem like much help, he is a very big emotional help for the ponies and supports them with all he can although he might not always be useful. He is nice and always willing to help if he is able to, also he needs to be there to play a boyish part in the show on which the Mane 6 just need to be disgusted on because he is so "weird" for being a male at times... xD

• Brohoof 2

I hate having to disagree with Tommy and say that's bull.

But, unfortunately, that's the case here.

I can't believe you were wrong, Tommy.

That caught me WAYY off guard.

If it makes you feel better he makes a rarity best pony comment right after words.

• Brohoof 1

Okay that works.

would you say spike is more of a brother to twilight than shinning armor?

being random is confusing,

if your post is to confusing i can't get mad.

my idiocy has defeated you.  HUZA!

Personally I think spike and twilights relationship is unique... It can't be defined by a label like "brother/sister" or "mother/child" her relationship with shining armour though in my opinion needs developing, spike's role is different... It's not simply one or another... He's many things to twilight... IMO

Spike with Snips and Snails? I think Spike is a really cool character. He's a dragon well apparently but that makes him more interesting as he is one of the main characters in the show. Snips and Snails are stupid mail sterotypes who are complete idiots. All they really do is obsess over somepony like some overreacting fangirl and worship them.

you replied to a very odd post to state that.

so your arugment about spikes character is his depth with twilight.

Agreed.

Personally I think spike and twilights relationship is unique... It can't be defined by a label like "brother/sister" or "mother/child" her relationship with shining armour though in my opinion needs developing, spike's role is different... It's not simply one or another... He's many things to twilight... IMO

For a bit of an enemy, you know me so well ;)

Know thine enemy better than you know yourself,

wow i wish that was just a gimmick lol

Edited by SolarFox
Quote of hidden post

I can't say that I agree with Spike being on the same level as Snips and Snails, but at the same time, he certainly isn't on the same level as the mane six. I've always had a problem with Spike, but it isn't for the same reasons as Tommy Oliver. My problem lies more in the fact that Spike could potentially be the strong male character that this show sorely needs, but he just isn't. One thing that I do agree with though is that he is too inconsistent, and is rarely the same character from episode to episode. To me, he's basically a throw away character, and if he's voicing issues about feeling inadequate over and over again, there's a reason for that.

Edited by Troblems

The thing is, he has no consistent character arc. You can see the transformation of Rainbow Dash, Twilight, Rarity, and others between season 1 and now. They actually learn their lessons and the character evolves. Hell, even Fluttershy seems to have gotten a bit more backbone from Putting Your Hoof Down onward.

Spikes character however seems to jump back and forth between one episode and the next. I mean, after all this time and all he's done for everyone he *still* questions whether or not he's helpful?

Snips and Snails are the main hint that MLP:FIM was written by a woman.

...Just kidding.

No, seriously. That was a joke. Probably not a very good one, but, meh. Snips and Snails suck.

Therefore, I'm offering 70:30 odds that if they ever do a "In the Future" or "Ten years from now" or "Where are they now epilogue" episode, Snips and Snails will have grown into characters even more desirable than Big Mac, just to hammer in the "Late bloomer" theme they started with Apple Bloom.

Spike has done a lot for everyone, saved the Crystal Empire from King Sombra, and he is very useful with how he is willing to be there for his friends when they need him. Snips and Snails are just two characters that are just for comedic relief.

Spike as a character has been going through some consistency problems from one episode to the next. We know he is useful but, he is trying to realize that.

WARNING: INCOMING RANT :okiedokielokie:

How dare people compare Spike to Snips and Snails! If anything, Spike is about as high on the "important character" list as the rest of the main six. Spike is truly unique, and such a loyal friend to Twilight that he's pretty much always by her side. He is the epitome of friendship. He could have totally been the "new rainbow dash" because of his loyalty.

Tommy Oliver, i usually like and agree with you, but this time you are wrong sir. There have been plenty of times or episodes that were intended for the purpose of his own development. To even say Spike lacks character development is blasphemy.The little guy has a big heart, and he has alot of insecurities and acts as his own individual person.

What really gets me though is when Tommy says "He gets a couple times to shine because he's in the main cast"

He literally just pointed out that Spike DOES have times where he shines as a character, yet continues to say that he's at the same level as S&S? When have Snips and Snails EVER had their time to shine as characters?

He says that Spike does not have a concrete character, and while he does sometimes change to fit certain roles, I'd say that over time a pattern has formed and its not too hard to get a good grasp of how Spike's mind really is. Spike has never known his biological parents, as Twilight was the one who hatched him. He clearly has fears of abandonment because of this. Raised by ponies, he's cut off from his own kind which leaves him completely in the dark about himself.  Twilight is his only family, and he knows that he's dependent on her. He's a loyal friend, but is also self-interested like most people/ponies.

Snips and snails do not have any character development at all. Basically, all we know about their personality is that they are idiots. They are comic relief, except they don't even succeed at being funny. Seriously Spike is awesome and the show wouldn't be the same without him. Could the same be said about the those two unicorn nitwits?

Edited by SolarFox
Quote of hidden post removed.
  • Brohoof 2