Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

EQD: Season 5 Confirmed for My Little Pony!

Dzastur

I got mixed feeling with it. The good, we'll have more love'em ponies. The bad, there's always a risk of losing quality the more it last

More than you can imagine ;-)

img-2293832-1-tumblr_inline_n0hafxJAg51r

I fear the day where they cancel my little pony. There will be riots everywhere and love and tolerance will go out the window in a bid to make them continue making ponies.

You know what? If they ever want to stop making MLP:FiM, why should they keep it any longer? They should "open-source" it to the Bronies community so that the Bronies could carry the fire. And I'm sure they would, when I see what Bronies are capable of making (damn, they make short animations already, one fanmade episode, a movie is on schedule...).

Don't get me wrong: I'm a realist and I know Hasbro will never do that, but this is just what I think they should do in case they won't plan making MLP themselves any longer.

Edited by SasQ

A fifth season? I'm going to get a lot of hell for saying this, but I was hoping season four would be the final season.

Don't get me wrong. I love the show, but I also don't like it when they drag them out longer than they need to. Avatar: The Last Airbender and Transformers: Prime were prodigiously gratifying TV shows in many respects, yet the both of them were just as successful with three seasons. The other half of my dilemma regards to the personal conflict that I would like to see plot lines tie up already. Rainbow Dash remains an annoying, arrogant showoff and the CMC still haven't received cutie marks, let-alone recognized the talents they already possess. I don't think I can bear another season with this status quo enduring at the forefront (especially the former). 

I love the show, but I also don't like it when they drag them out longer than they need to.

I'd agree with you, but only with emphasis on "longer than they need to".

MLP:FiM so far is doing well, it's still in its young age when compared to some other TV series, and it still has a huge potential in itself which hasn't been exploited yet. My only worry is that it could happen that it will not be exploited enough, as it was with the mysterious book of Starswirl the Bearded. This could be a huge Chekhov's Gun, and I had lots of expectations about it, but it merely puffed in Season 3's finale.

I was hoping a whole antithesis to come for Season 4, with Twilight learning some more about the other, darker side of Magic, now when she's more ready for it and when Celestia and Luna assured themselves that it will be safe for Twilight to study it without hurting herself of other ponies. This antithesis was really missing there, because without it we cannot really understand and appreciate the synthesis we now have with Twilight being an Alicorn. Opposing the antithesis to the thesis world (Seasons 1 and 2) could be a great tool for contrasting them with each other and making their differences to stand out more. Without it, the synthesis may seem flatter and duller, less obvious, less justified etc, you name it, since you all know how Season 3 has ended. Now we have the world of synthesis, but without much to synthesize with, because Twilight still knows zilch about the Dark Magic (not counting a bunch of little tricks she learned from watching Celestia and Luna), so her character arc is not finished yet.

As to the CMCs and their cutie marks: I like watching how they pursue their special talents, trying to find their true selves. But I would be disappointed if this quest wouldn't end some day with their success. As you noted with Rainbow Dash and CMCs, this trick can get old with time, and boring. Yeah, they want to find they cutie marks again, and they fail, nothing new under the sun... This would be very bad move from the side of the writers if they'd made the cutie mark crusade the key point of CMS's personalities and characters interest. But imagine what would happen when they ultimately find their cutie marks! How would it influence their lives? Will they still be friends? Will they remain the Crusaders? What will make them stay connected to each other? (Yeah, their friendship, what else? ;-> But it would be interesting to see how this could be pictured in the storyline.) They can still have their club, but accept some new members who still don't have their cutie marks, and start helping them with finding their talents. This would be very resonant with how Season 4 evolves so far, that is, gradually turning from learning about Friendship to teaching others about it.

That's why I so much appreciated the recent episode ("Simple Ways"), because I've never seen any script writer making the characters behave so much out-of-character, and yet so much in-character, that is, they behave like somepony else, but they still do it in a way they perceive them themselves, and through their own character still being there ;) This was really marvelous, and I very enjoyed this episode. This was really a stretch for both Rarity and Applejack (and our little guy Spike too ;-J ). I love to watch how those characters evolve with time, but still maintaining their unique personalities which have drawn me to this show in the first place.

I wouldn't be happy with the status quo being maintained too much in the series, which would make the show boring with time. Some change is needed to make it fresh. But there will always be some things which simply cannot change, since they constitute what this show makes by itself, and why it is so special. Turning Twilight into Alicorn was a good way to ruin the show, since it shook the very fundaments of the show, with Twilight being one of its main (and important) characters. Fortunately they noticed what they messed up and somehow managed to steer out from the slippery slope. But I hope they learned their lesson and such surprises won't happen again.

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 4

I'd agree with you, but only with emphasis on "longer than they need to".

MLP:FiM so far is doing well, it's still in its young age when compared to some other TV series, and it still has a huge potential in itself which hasn't been exploited yet. My only worry is that it could happen that it will not be exploited enough, as it was with the mysterious book of Starswirl the Bearded. This could be a huge Chekhov's Gun, and I had lots of expectations about it, but it merely puffed in Season 3's finale.

I was hoping a whole antithesis to come for Season 4, with Twilight learning some more about the other, darker side of Magic, now when she's more ready for it and when Celestia and Luna assured themselves that it will be safe for Twilight to study it without hurting herself of other ponies. This antithesis was really missing there, because without it we cannot really understand and appreciate the synthesis we now have with Twilight being an Alicorn. Opposing the antithesis to the thesis world (Seasons 1 and 2) could be a great tool for contrasting them with each other and making their differences to stand out more. Without it, the synthesis may seem flatter and duller, less obvious, less justified etc, you name it, since you all know how Season 3 has ended. Now we have the world of synthesis, but without much to synthesize with, because Twilight still knows zilch about the Dark Magic (not counting a bunch of little tricks she learned from watching Celestia and Luna), so her character arc is not finished yet.

As to the CMCs and their cutie marks: I like watching how they pursue their special talents, trying to find their true selves. But I would be disappointed if this quest wouldn't end some day with their success. As you noted with Rainbow Dash and CMCs, this trick can get old with time, and boring. Yeah, they want to find they cutie marks again, and they fail, nothing new under the sun... This would be very bad move from the side of the writers if they'd made the cutie mark crusade the key point of CMS's personalities and characters interest. But imagine what would happen when they ultimately find their cutie marks! How would it influence their lives? Will they still be friends? Will they remain the Crusaders? What will make them stay connected to each other? (Yeah, their friendship, what else? ;-> But it would be interesting to see how this could be pictured in the storyline.) They can still have their club, but accept some new members who still don't have their cutie marks, and start helping them with finding their talents. This would be very resonant with how Season 4 evolves so far, that is, gradually turning from learning about Friendship to teaching others about it.

That's why I so much appreciated the recent episode ("Simple Ways"), because I've never seen any script writer making the characters behave so much out-of-character, and yet so much in-character, that is, they behave like somepony else, but they still do it in a way they perceive them themselves, and through their own character still being there ;) This was really marvelous, and I very enjoyed this episode. This was really a stretch for both Rarity and Applejack (and our little guy Spike too ;-J ). I love to watch how those characters evolve with time, but still maintaining their unique personalities which have drawn me to this show in the first place.

I wouldn't be happy with the status quo being maintained too much in the series, which would make the show boring with time. Some change is needed to make it fresh. But there will always be some things which simply cannot change, since they constitute what this show makes by itself, and why it is so special. Turning Twilight into Alicorn was a good way to ruin the show, since it shook the very fundaments of the show, with Twilight being one of its main (and important) characters. Fortunately they noticed what they messed up and somehow managed to steer out from the slippery slope. But I hope they learned their lesson and such surprises won't happen again.

I agree with you in everything.

I think, also, that is important to remember that the desicion of making Twilight Alicorn was from Hasbro. The writers must obey I guess. Just like when Lauren wanted a male "antagonist" but Hasbro wanted a female character and that's how Trixie was born.

• Brohoof 1

Yes, Season 5. So much untapped potential still in the show. I see no reason why Hasbro would kill it anyways, it's their biggest money maker right now.

You know what? If they ever want to stop making MLP:FiM, why should they keep it any longer? They should "open-source" it to the Bronies community so that the Bronies could carry the fire. And I'm sure they would, when I see what Bronies are capable of making (damn, they make short animations already, one fanmade episode, a movie is on schedule...).

Don't get me wrong: I'm a realist and I know Hasbro will never do that, but this is just what I think they should do in case they won't plan making MLP themselves any longer.

I've seen a couple fan made episodes...Double Sonic Rainboom (Which the OP took down, for whatever reason) and Snow Drop. 

Double Sonic Rainboom wasn't all that great.

Snow Drop was interesting, but it was mostly OCs anyways and was 1000 years or so before the FiM storyline. So it was kind of it's own thing. a Prologue  of sorts to FiM.

Edited by ~Flutterdash~

I've seen a couple fan made episodes...Double Sonic Rainboom (Which the OP took down, for whatever reason) and Snow Drop. Double Sonic Rainboom wasn't all that great.

Yes, the story and dialogues were very flat and lame. But you need to put it into an appropriate context: This was one of the first whole episodes made solely by fans. How many TV shows you know which has been extended with fan made episodes? And the animation was pretty well done, nearly as good as in the original show. We cannot underappreciate that. They just lacked good script writers in the team, and that's all.

"Snowdrop", on the other hand, was a nice and moving story, very emotional, but the animation was a bit lower level than in the original show. But these were the first fan attempts in animations. It gets better and better with time, and that's my point. We will be getting more and more fan made animations in a future, and the quality will catch up with the original show sooner or later (well, it pretty much catches up already). There's one full-length movie being made ("Journey of the Spark"). This all shows what this fandom is capable of, and that DHX animation team members are not some demigods with superpowers. Their creative work (a good one!) can be reproduced by other talented people (which are numerous amongst Bronies). Also note that fan animators usually have less resources and experience, and they do it for free, but still they can somehow make animations as great as DHX team.

• Brohoof 1

You know, I am probably going to berated for this, but I am personally disappointed with this. Friendship is Magic has been kind of sub-par since Season 3, and Season 4 just feels... bad. Or at least, that's what I feel. I'm not an analyst, so it's really hard for me to say why... I'd go and say that by now, most of the charm that was there, just... isn't there anymore.

I personally want it to end, because I don't really trust the writers anymore...

But hey, if others are still having a good time with it (which I assume), then by all means continue. I'll just not join you for the time being. :)

img-2293832-1-tumblr_inline_n0hafxJAg51r

Oh geez! xD Okay, please do tell me: what the hell is this? Twilight looks, like, I don't know, Fusion Dance with Cadence (in the first two pics, with the hair and all), maybe?

is this from the show itself? I doubt it, but...

But that reminds me... Now Twilight's a Princess and seemingly on her way to Physical Godhood (or something along those lines), I just find it soo hard to relate to her anymore. Just have a shot with all six of the ponies, and Twilight just sticks out like a sore thumb...

Or maybe that's just me being conservative.

Edited by Oleg

@, those are supposed to be leaked clips from the Season 4 finale. We can see the mysterious Harmony Box in there, and of course Twicadence (lol, sounds like the name of that grumpy guy from "Ace Ventura: Pet Detective" movie, Mr. Shickadance :D).

But fear not, this seems to be a fake. It can be seen by the plot (literally: just look at Twicadence's plot, it's misplaced). Here's another proof from Twitter:

BfrdPf2CcAA-lTY.png

Friendship is Magic has been kind of sub-par since Season 3, and Season 4 just feels... bad. Or at least, that's what I feel. I'm not an analyst, so it's really hard for me to say why

See my post above (if you haven't seen it yet). There's my little attempt at explaining why you might feel so. In each story there are some crucial structure elements which make it feel enjoyable and natural, and if they are lacking, the story is perceived as more "flat".

Season 1 has introduced us into the magical world of Equestria, with all those mysteries, ancient legends which fulfill on our eyes, related to celestial mechanics, cosmic forces and intriguing mythology. This is all Lauren Faust's merit, since she created the world in a way to be interesting, and laid a solid ground for future development of the show. Equestria was a place of Harmony, where bright and dark are in perfect balance. Such a world was a great escape from our boring and dull everyday lives, where the dark side usually predominates. Also we met those nice characters and we could watch them as they meet each other and interact, and learn more and more valuable lessons about the Magic of Friendship.

In Season 2, Discord brought some Chaos to the plan, and I really enjoyed Season 2's opening. This was something new, but still in the mood of the original show. Discord is a great villain, a great strategist and laughable prankster ;) He's a great opposition for Mane Six, and this contrast makes their differences stand out better so we could see them. There was some good foreshadowing in Season 2, too, telling us that something big is coming. At the end of Season 2 we could definitely see that the dark forces are closing in, when the evil queen of the Changelings (Chrysalis) disguised as Princess Cadence was about to ruin her wedding and take over the Canterlot. There we've seen for the first time that Mane Six has to deal with the problem without the "deus ex machina" help of the Elements of Harmony. And they succeeded. This was an epic battle, and an epic wedding ;)

Season 3 has begun with extending the map of Equestria: the Crystal Empire has "returned" from its 1000-years limbo, and with it, the evil spirit of King Sombra. Again, lots of foreshadowing and Twilight required to use the Dark Magic for the first time... this was a huge event for me, and I was so excited that this show finally gained some real depth, more historical background and mythology, the mysterious past, all those events which took place near the Celestia's favorite date (1000 years ago). All of this suggested that something really big is waiting around the corner, and from now on the show will gain momentum.

Why?

Because the story would cross the mark of the "first act" of the Thesis World (where everything is nice and dandy), forcing our heroes for more stretch and a real adventure. That we will learn some facts about the past, some deep hidden history, something bigger than what we've seen throughout first 2 seasons. I was hoping that now we're about to dive into the Antithesis World, which will contrast with what we've seen so far, to make it stand out better. That Twilight will start the next level of her study, concerning Dark Magic, now when she's ready enough for it that she won't hurt herself or somepony else. Such contrasting would deepen the show and its meaning, because it would make us see the features of Bright Magic and Dark Magic, understand their differences better, which would help us (through the eyes of Twilight) understand the Magic of Friendship better and appreciate it more.

But nothing such happened. The mysterious book Luna and Celestia kept hidden from Twilight (for a reason), written by Starswirl the Bearded (as I correctly suspected), which could be a real Chekhov Gun, wasn't exploited in a way I hoped for it. It merely puffed at the end of Season 3, when it is mentioned only twice, as merely some unimportant memoir of Starswirl with an unfinished spell. Well, they played this card pretty nice, but too soon and for too low stake. This card has way more potential in it, and could be exploited more ingeniously. It had greater potential than the Harmony Box. I, myself, had so much ideas for it that it could safely took one whole season to run out.

Unfortunately, they rushed it so much that they dropped the whole Antithesis part and skipped directly to the Synthesis, where the hero is supposed to merge these two contrasting worlds (Thesis from Seasons 1 and 2, and the missing Antithesis which should have been somewhere in between "Crystal Empire" and "Magical Mystery Cure" in Season 3) and integrate them as one. Twilight evolved into an Alicorn, which could be a great move, but it happened too soon, too fast, and without enough justification in the story (because, again, they skipped the important Antithesis part which is usually there to justify the transformation of the main hero in the beginning of "act three".). This just made the whole thing unexpected and misplaced, and we could see its bad effect when so many Bronies (including myself) lamented about the show being ruined and plotting against M. A. Larson (the same guy who gave us the great two-parter with Discord ;-J).

They seem to understand their mistake, and in "Equestria Girls" there were many signs of it. Season 4's opening was also nice, there was some justification of Twilight's transformation and we could see how she feels with her new body and new role in society. Well, better late than never, but still... :-P

In Season 4's opening we could also see some more about the past of Celestia and Luna, their fight with Discord, Luna's rebel and banishing her to the Moon, and this was great. But if we look closer, we can realize that those sequences weren't tell us much more than we knew already ;) So the mystery is still there, and it even extended: the Tree of Harmony has been introduced, and the mysterious Harmony Box. Quite cheap way to keep us intrigued, if you ask me ;-P But at least the show gained some depth when Mane Six have relinquished their Elements of Harmony back to the Tree, and now they're on their own, so we can now see what's the real source of their power, and in my opinion this is good.

Dunno if you noticed, but several subsequent episodes seem to be there just to convince us that Mane Six are no weaker nor lame after losing their Elements. They fight with powerful enemies throughout several first episodes of Season 4, and they do it without any help of Elements of Harmony magic. For me this makes them more believable and relatable.

I am very happy that there will be Season 5. But I would be more happy if there was Season 3.5 ;) This would deepen the show and turn up the experience we have in Season 4 and the upcoming 5, I guess.

Edited by SasQ
  • Brohoof 3

MLP:FiM so far is doing well, it's still in its young age when compared to some other TV series, and it still has a huge potential in itself which hasn't been exploited yet.

You use the word 'exploited.'

I think, by the massive amount of fans, merchandise, and commercializing that MLP has gotten in it's thus-far-four-year-run, this show has been exploited to infinity and beyond.

as it was with the mysterious book of Starswirl the Bearded.

How is this applicable to the argument?

I was hoping a whole antithesis to come for Season 4, with Twilight learning some more about the other, darker side of Magic, now when she's more ready for it and when Celestia and Luna assured themselves that it will be safe for Twilight to study it without hurting herself of other ponies.

Even with this show's adult references and ingenious writing (save for the crap character they call Rainbow Dash), a season revolving around dark magic could be way to intense for this show, especially considering its demographic.

Now we have the world of synthesis, but without much to synthesize with, because Twilight still knows zilch about the Dark Magic (not counting a bunch of little tricks she learned from watching Celestia and Luna), so her character arc is not finished yet.

Her character arc is finished. The whole point of her going to Ponyville in the first place is so she could learn about social standards and make friends so that she may grow and be prepared for the crowning that was awaiting her. Dark Magic was a two-episode plot device that I'm sure nobody else saw going very far anyway.

As to the CMCs and their cutie marks: I like watching how they pursue their special talents, trying to find their true selves. But I would be disappointed if this quest wouldn't end some day with their success.

My point exactly. Taking this for another season seems like their pushing their luck. It's been four years already. If this isn't resolved sometime soon, I'll be very unhappy with the writing staff.

As you noted with Rainbow Dash and CMCs, this trick can get old with time, and boring. Yeah, they want to find they cutie marks again, and they fail, nothing new under the sun...

Same boring status quo reset indeed.

This would be very bad move from the side of the writers if they'd made the cutie mark crusade the key point of CMS's personalities and characters interest.

Given what this show stands for, it'd be pretty messed up for the writers to say that the CMC are destined to be a bunch of nobodies with no talent for the rest of their lives.

Also, CMS? That sounds a lot like-

But imagine what would happen when they ultimately find their cutie marks! How would it influence their lives? Will they still be friends?

....Yes. Their many adventures have drew them all close together. If they found their cutie marks, they'd still be friends because of the bond they all shared with each other trying to get to the top of the hill.

Will they remain the Crusaders?

No. Their objective is resolved.

I guess I'll have to disagree by accounts of taste. I really didn't like "Simple Ways" because of the silliness and redundancy of the plot.

I wouldn't be happy with the status quo being maintained too much in the series, which would make the show boring with time.

That's why I love "Bats!" They've dared to change the status quo for a future conflict, especially with a popular and lovable character.

Some change is needed to make it fresh. But there will always be some things which simply cannot change, since they constitute what this show makes by itself, and why it is so special.

I thought what made this show so special was its great writing in relationship to its demographic, not whether or not they changed something.

Turning Twilight into Alicorn was a good way to ruin the show,

HA!

since it shook the very fundaments of the show, with Twilight being one of its main (and important) characters.

It's a good thing when they develop a character the way they did with Twilight. Probably one of the best examples of it in this show, actually.