Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Do You Know Any Phrases in Another Language That Are Pretty Much Useless?

Armin

I, for example, know "No f*****g please" in Polish, which I can say but I don't know how to type*. So, what stupidly useless phrases have you learned in another language?

*(Attempting to type it: Nye pierdol plosha. Or at least, that's how it's pronounced.)

I don't know about useless, but after spending a month in Poland recently...KURWA is easily the most important to know, haha. 'Na zdrowie' comes in second. ;)

Edited by K.K. Slider
  • Brohoof 2

I don't know about useless, but also in Polish - KURWA is easily the most important to know, haha.

That's f**k isn't it? My friend is attempting to teach me some swears. :)

• Brohoof 1

Yes, but it can also mean (naughty language!)

Bitch or whore, but it's commonly used as 'fuck!' - this can mean "Kurwa, I won the lottery!" or "Kurwa, I hit my leg!" - good and bad ways, like English.

Kurwa! Ewa mnie zdradzila! To zwykla kurwa nic wiecej! Gdyby tu byla zabilbym kurwe golymi rekami!
(Fuck! Eve cheated on me. She is nothing more then a whore. If she were here I would kill that bitch with my bare hands.)

If it's one of the few Polish words you know, you will hear it ALL THE TIME just walking the streets. If you say it outside of Poland and a Pole hears you, he's likely to buy you a beer.

Na zdrowie is basically 'Cheers!' but it directly translates to good health. Again, basically cheers in English. Always say it before downing a shot of vodka (wodka, a Pole's drink of choice). If you're drinking with others and somebody is standing, it's considered formal, so be sure to stand as well.

Edited by K.K. Slider
  • Brohoof 2

Oh my gosh, when I was in Poland I tried to re-learn it since I knew some as a kid and all of them went berserk. ^^;

Not only do they like Canadians but Polish Canadians are apparently better. ^^;

So my entire Polish and Welsh vocabulary (being first generation Canadian and having my parents speak them) is basically crap, I know a few sayings in each but nothing that would be of substance. One day, I hope to learn them once more. (Currently, I'm a better Welsh speaker; I was actually going to be named Carys (care-iss) which means "love". c: AND THEN MY DIDDLY DARN FATHER SAID NO.)

I'll be in school in Switzerland next year, and since it has four languages I have to learn some of them all, haha. ^^; Luckily, thanks to being in a bilingual country, I can already speak French quite well!

Edited by Queenie-chan
  • Brohoof 1

I know how to say "I like to smoke the crazy chicken pants" in spanish.. some kid back in my HS days used to say it all the time in various forms... Its just too odd to forget...

• Brohoof 1

I'm not sure how you spell it, but I know how to say "Kiss my Ass" in Irish. (Galic?)

I learned it back in the 4th grade. My teacher had us all sit in a big circle, and we'd all say "hello" In different languages. My friend claimed he knew how to say hello in Irish, so he said "Pough Mchough." So really he tricked the entire class/teacher into saying Kiss my ass to each other in a foreign language. :)

Edited by Mikami
  • Brohoof 1

From playing many JRPGs, even though "F***" is a word in Japanese, they don't really use it much at all. Yet they are fine saying all the other words in the book. ;)

Edited by Judgement
  • Brohoof 1

I've learned the Stare.

My short-term goal is to perform it on somebody I hate while saying "Du wird mit ein Messer in dein Herz wecken" (German, "You will wake up with a knife in your heart"), which is a perfect translation of her favorite thing to say to me.

Also Japanese "Anata baka desu" ("You're a moron"), which is only funny because "baka" is apparently a swear word.

Edited by Kelario
  • Brohoof 1

Well, I study French, so I have these:

Une plaque d'immatriculation (a number/licence plate). Not that useless in everyday conversation, but I was originally taught this in the first unit of beginner French. Not only did it take me forever to pronounce it properly back then, but we basically never used it anywhere.

Un fessé (a spanking, not sure if spelt right). This was in a university vocab list. I shit you not (though, they probably meant it in a different context...)

• Brohoof 1

i am italian.. and i think we have more  curses and bad words than other languages... also we have something we call "Bestemmie" wich is basically curse against god, saint and everything religious... it is considered the worst thing and most bad habits ever
 (i will not post those btw)

Testa di cazzo!  Coglione! Stronzo! Comunista! (yep comunist is an offence here) Idiota! imbecille! ignorante! figlio di troia! Diavolo Cane! Porco Demonio! Dio Santo!

i can go on all day long...

• Brohoof 1

Yeah, so I took (and suffered) Chinese class for two years.

The only things I could remember are numbers and this phrase:

"Ni hao ma! Wo jiao _____. Wo yao chi ni. Xie xie."

(Hello, how are you! My name is ____. I want to eat you. Thank you.)

^ Will totally come in handy one day.

Edited by Keezuw
  • Brohoof 2

Well, basically anything non law, science, or medical related in Latin is going to be thoroughly useless, so...

Pepedi.

I have farted.

Scelestus sciurus canem verberabat baculo. 

The wicked squirrel was beating the dog with a stick. 

Glires volunt amare te. 

Dormice want to love you.

• Brohoof 1

Veni, Vidi, Vici. Though, thats not necessarily a useless phrase.

Though...

My friend knows how to say, I'll pop a cap in [insert noun/pronoun], in spanish.

And one of my other friends knows how to say "the cat eats beans in the bathtub" or something, in spanish.

• Brohoof 1

Kyon-kun denwa! - Thanks, Endless Eight!

Kyon-kun, phone!

Kami korosu - Thanks, Katekyo Hitman Reborn! nobody loves you!

Bite you to death!

Kenzen naru tamashi wa, kenzen naru sieshinto, kenzen naru itan ni oduru -Thanks, Soul Eater! 

A sound soul resides within a sound mind and a sound body.

• Brohoof 1

Wo ist mein bleistift. "Where is my pencil?"

For some reason, this phrase in particular stayed with me for four years after I stopped taking German. No idea why, it's not a particularly useful phrase in the slightest. Maybe it's the result of me studying that school supply unit really hard. "Wo ist das badezimmer", on the other hand, is a lot more useful.

Edited by Celtore
  • Brohoof 1