Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Fluttershy insulting Pinkie Pie and Rarity

Akemi Homura

I'm just saying, don't go pointing your finger when you are no innocent yourself.

~

Never said I was innocent. I just mean that whenever Rarity does something like this, it just gets me worried. Maybe it's because she's my 2nd favorite pony, but I dunno. It was kind of the way she did that bothered me, not the actual manipulation itself. When she got those random ponies to pull the gala carriage I was fine with it.

I can understand Fluttershy's anger. As I've previously written in the episode discussion thread, Fluttershy has a lot of repressed anger. This episode gave us a taste of the world from her perspective, and it looks quite a bit more cruel when seen through the eyes of someone who can't barely stand up for themselves at all. In particular, Fluttershy has to watch both Pinkie Pie and Rarity be treated better by the folks of Ponyville and earn more respect when Fluttershy feels her work in helping animals contributes more to society. After all, Rarity only makes luxury goods, and while Pinkie Pie's pursuits are actually rather valuable in their own right, in terms of boosting morale for everyone, it wouldn't look that way from Fluttershy's perspective, since she's not exactly all that great in social situations and therefore would not be a big fan of parties. A rant like this was to be expected sooner or later.

That doesn't make it an accurate rant or right for her to have done it, though. This one scene, more than any other in the episode was what set me firmly in the camp of disliking it. I find it extremely difficult to watch this scene, not just because of Pinkie and Rarity crying, but also because Fluttershy can't see the cruelty she's unleashing while she's doing it. She looks like she's ENJOYING rubbing their faces in the dirt, and that is just so unlike Fluttershy that it has me raging not at her, but at Merriweather Williams for once again failing to understand the characters Williams is writing for.

• Brohoof 4

I felt that this show sorta moved away from Equestrian ideals. Everypony was naturally mean to each other without any sort of provocation or divine intervention. :(

I felt that this show sorta moved away from Equestrian ideals. Everypony was naturally mean to each other without any sort of provocation or divine intervention. :(

As long as every episode isn't like this, I think everything will be fine in the end.

I still really enjoyed this episode (one of my favorites,) though I think I'd get sick of the show if every one were like Putting Your Hoof down, as far as the general attitude of Ponyvillians. ...not sure if that's the correct term, but if The Great and Powerful Trixie used it, then it probably is.

(edited)

I feel people are being a bit hard on Rarity. Sure, it was blatant manipulation on her part, but for the stallion in question, it was not a bad experience. An extremely attractive mare flirted with him and called him handsome. A thing like that might just be the catalyst for a guy to shape up, buy some pimple cream, work out a bit and improve himself to the point where he might be attractive in his own right. She didn't steal his asparagus either, but payed him his money back. And she clearly asked him to give it up for Fluttershy's sake, and he happily agreed. Victimless crime; no harm, no foul; etc. I think it would make for a great continuity nod for that stallion to show up again, but buffer and with a clearer complexion.

If anything, Pinkie's action, although funny, was more detrimental to its victim, since it deprived the vendor of a bit. And legally, one is allowed to set any price on their goods, with the understanding that their customers may decide to take their business elsewhere. Maybe her kids will starve tonight because of that one lost coin. (Okay, that's a stretch, but the basic point is valid.)

Edited by SolarPony
  • Brohoof 1

This was such a sad episode. I hated that Fluttershy made Rarity and Pinkie Pie cry. I was thinking about something for a week now. Why in the blue hell wasn't Twilight in this episode? She lives in a fricken library, are you telling me that she doesn't have one book to teach you how to be assertive/more confident? To me they should have at least had Twilight in this episode to recommend a book that could help her with that.

• Brohoof 1

I feel people are being a bit hard on Rarity. Sure, it was blatant manipulation on her part, but for the stallion in question, it was not a bad experience. An extremely attractive mare flirted with him and called him handsome. A thing like that might just be the catalyst for a guy to shape up, buy some pimple cream, work out a bit and improve himself to the point where he might be attractive in his own right. She didn't steal his asparagus either, but payed him his money back. And she clearly asked him to give it up for Fluttershy's sake, and he happily agreed. Victimless crime; no harm, no foul; etc. I think it would make for a great continuity nod for that stallion to show up again, but buffer and with a clearer complexion.

If anything, Pinkie's action, although funny, was more detrimental to its victim, since it deprived the vendor of a bit. And legally, one is allowed to set any price on their goods, with the understanding that their customers may decide to take their business elsewhere. Maybe her kids will starve tonight because of that one lost coin. (Okay, that's a stretch, but the basic point is valid.)

When I re-watched the Rarity bit, I see what you mean. I am glad that she paid the guy back his bit and admitted the reason for the asparagus. I'm just automatically against flattery, especially flattery just to get what you want - noble deed or not. I would not have minded at all if she had merely said, "Excuse me, sir, but do you need that asparagus today for anything special? May I please buy it from you? A friend of mine is making a special dinner that calls for it today and really needs it. Okay, thank you! You are so sweet <insert relevant compliment that could have stroked his ego and been truthful>... such a kind, thoughtful, noble boy is quite the catch" or something.

I do like your view on how that may have given the stallion some self esteem to actively take steps to improve his life/self image. That didn't cross my mind.

The tomato vendor, Pinkie should have completely stayed out of. Sign said two bits - the end. Tomato vendor may have had a very good economic reason to raise the price a single bit. Now, that cherry vendor - that was relevant for Pinkie to have stepped in and done something.

(edited)

She doesn't control the Stare. She doesnt have any idea when it'll happen. She can control how assertive she is though.

Oh, she can control the Stare. They practically spelled out that detail in The Stare Master.

It just seems like the ponies constantly forget they can do things, like Superman in Superfriends.

Edited by SBaby

Oh, she can control the Stare. They practically spelled out that detail in The Stare Master.

It just seems like the ponies constantly forget they can do things, like Superman in Superfriends.

When she brought Opal back, Fluttershy herself outright stated to Rarity that she doesn't have control over it. The rest of the episode does seem to call this into doubt a bit, but with a categorical statement such as she made, I'm going with the "no control" theory.

Looks like Pinkie and Rarity got TOLD.....get it TOAD....

Nah, but seriously there was not reason to snap on them like that, she completely violated them..not cool Fluttershy...not cool

Edited by Soarin pony

That episode made my friend, who's always liked Fluttershy, to really dislike her. And hasn't forgiven her yet. It sort of sads me out to realize that, and it's starting to make me feel sad whenever I see the character anywhere else. A week ago Fluttershy would have been has favorite. I tried to explain how that's not really her, how she felt horrible, how they made up, anything, but he still isn't convinced, saying she did that of her own decision. Not sure what to say...

Edited by Toastypk

• 4 weeks later...

That episode made my friend, who's always liked Fluttershy, to really dislike her. And hasn't forgiven her yet. It sort of sads me out to realize that, and it's starting to make me feel sad whenever I see the character anywhere else. A week ago Fluttershy would have been has favorite. I tried to explain how that's not really her, how she felt horrible, how they made up, anything, but he still isn't convinced, saying she did that of her own decision. Not sure what to say...

Tell him to love and tolerate, forgive and forget. That's the brony way. If Rarity and Pinky forgave her, then so can he.

When I was watching the episode I sat there and thought I'd entered a parallel universe because that isn't how I thought Fluttershy would ever act. I was so upset especially when she acted like that too her two best friends. Poor Pinkie and Rarity they crossed Fluttershy at the wrong moment

This whole scene is sad, it's sad for Rarity and PP for obvious reasons, but I also felt bad for Fluttershy not only because I knew she would feel horrible about it but because she was given some really bad advice (by Iron Will) how to be assertive (not aggressive), Fluttershy wanted to try to improve herself and in stead she ended up hurting those around her, a hugely sad episode overall.