Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

The comics are canon, deal with it!

Forlong

The comics are "[a] piece of artillery that uses gunpowder or other usually explosive-based propellants to launch a projectile."?

Weird.

Serious note. I've seen this article before, and his answer is phrased in a very non-comittal manner.

4. IS IT CANON? The comic is set within show continuity, and is done in cooperation with the show staff. This is as close to the show as it gets without having it animated. I personally say yes, but it is really up to the individual to decide.

He never comes out and says "yes, this is canon".

• Brohoof 8

cannon? do they shoot cannonballs? well, typo jokes aside, there are one or two things that contradict the main series, but I don't mind if it's canon in anyway. maybe it depends on each of us

Judging from the video, it's what the individual decides what is canon and what is not. Or in this case, comics expand more on the universe of the show but in their own way.

Well dash did name her turtle tank. So I'd expect cannons to be canon. And as for the comics, as long as they are a offically liscened product, they are in universe canon. Along with that terrible bratz knockoff movie.

I'm sorta mixed on the comics, honestly, but I don't consider them canon, nor will I ever, solely because of that god-awful NMR arc :eww:

I don't care if Rares is a villain, but I care about quality, and I felt that the NMR arc (not NMR herself, I remind you) ruined the whole comics for me :eww:

It was like someone stole my lunch money and replaced it with a piece of paper that said "lawl" :okiedokielokie:

Oh, yeahh, it's only canon if you want it to be :D

• Brohoof 2

I'm sorry but it has been said by the comic book writers time and time again that it's only canon if fans want it too be. It's especially rue for those who either don't read the comics or don't care for them.

And I'll be damned if I have to consider the Dash Micro canon

I'm sorta mixed on the comics, honestly, but I don't consider them canon, nor will I ever, solely because of that god-awful NMR arc :eww:

My beef with the comics, which I've mentioned before, is that when I read them it always feels like a "fan service release-valve".

Like there was all kinds of cool stuff going on in this new story, but all I could see were the absurd number of popular culture references.

And then they had that two issue arc with Big Mac which was basically about cramming in parts for as many background ponies as possible.

I still read every issue because I'm a FiM fanatic. But I'll be damned if I enjoy them!

I guess I should just be thankful that they keep that crap out of the show.

• Brohoof 6

If the comics are canon, then Nightmare Rarity happened.

demand an episode!

Edited by Adorkable
  • Brohoof 1

Wait, but isn't Twilight's mom supposed to be the writer of the 'Daring Do' books in the comics? Because in the show, Daring Do is literally writes them herself.

They never say anything about DD in the comics TMK outside of her book self shows up in one arc where all sorts of book characters are coming to life.

Wait, but isn't Twilight's mom supposed to be the writer of the 'Daring Do' books in the comics? Because in the show, Daring Do is literally writes them herself.

Andy Price said somewhere that it was an award named after the Daring Do series, not an award for writing Daring Do.

I consider the comics canon because they add so much to the universe. Great characterization for Spike and the royal sisters, the story of how Shining and Cadance started dating, Chrysalis' return, some good slice of life stories from the Micro Series and Friends Forever  (emphasis on "some", every Fleecs issue besides FF #2 are trash), and of course Star Swirl's backstory that we're getting in the current arc. McCarthy said that she liked what Cook and Price were doing in that arc, and she even called it "epic". So who knows, she might decide to reference the comics at some point down the line.

Edited by FlutterDash4072

I don't consider them canon, personally. On a side note I only like two comics in the Micro-Series (Rarity and Pinkie) and I hate two others (Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy). I haven't read FF yet, but I heard it's mediocre.

The first one is pretty shit, but the others are good. Give them a read and you might like them.

I'd say whether or not it's canon is subjective until the show either confirms or overrides it.

That said, what I found interesting is that it gave character development to the three most prominent male characters. I remember hearing that Faust once pitched an episode where Big Mac was central to the plot only to have it rejected by Hasbro, and with Spike being crapped on and Shining Armor off...being Shining Armor, I think that's a very welcome change. I give these guys props for pulling off many things that would not make the show either because of its format or Hasbro's meddling. I'd like to think of the comic series as complimentary to the show's canon until proven otherwise, given that it does balance out some of the show's flaws.

Edited by WindChaserPegasus

My beef with the comics, which I've mentioned before, is that when I read them it always feels like a "fan service release-valve".

Like there was all kinds of cool stuff going on in this new story, but all I could see were the absurd number of popular culture references.

And then they had that two issue arc with Big Mac which was basically about cramming in parts for as many background ponies as possible.

I still read every issue because I'm a FiM fanatic. But I'll be damned if I enjoy them!

I guess I should just be thankful that they keep that crap out of the show.

Ya, I haven't read the comics myself, but from what I've heard, they're very heavy on the references, which is a massive turn off to me. To me, pop culture refs aren't inherently bad, but they should be done without dominating the plot and with a thing called "subtly", so as not to break immersion. I remember a reference to Gollum from lord of the rings in a completely unrelated fantasy novel that actually managed to work within the context of the setting, even tho it was a blatant reference to that other series for anyone who knew about it.

I'm guessing the MLP comics either lack that subtly and or cram the plot with too many of them to the point where they become a serious distraction.

@the OP, the person you quoted said it's part of the continuity of the show (which would make it canon) but than, in the very same paragraph, turns around and says it's up to interpretation....wut.

Edited by Sir Wulfington
  • Brohoof 1