Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's life like in small town USA?

Rarity Paige Belle

My girlfriend's American, and I myself was adopted by Americans living in the UK, and I've been to the states lots of times. However, I've only ever been to Massachusetts, and my girlfriend wishes to move back to her state in Idaho. Luckily, I have a green card but I was wondering, what is life like in a small town in the USA?

I guess it depends on what you mean by "small town" and where it's located in relation to a major city. If there is a city near by it is pretty nice because you can have the small town atmosphere but still be able to go buy something without driving more than like half an hour.

If it's in the middle of nowhere it is just torture for me because driving for an hour+ to buy anything other than the most basic groceries is awful.

• Brohoof 1

I guess it depends on what you mean by "small town" and where it's located in relation to a major city. If there is a city near by it is pretty nice because you can have the small town atmosphere but still be able to go buy something without driving more than like half an hour.

If it's in the middle of nowhere it is just torture for me because driving for an hour+ to buy anything other than the most basic groceries is awful.

But all of Idaho's like that, isn't it?

Although the only thing I know about the state is that all the Neo-Nazis have their training camps there!

(edited)

I live over an hour away from a city. My husband has to drive that everyday to go to work. We live in a town of just over 100 people. Honestly, it depends on WHO lives in these small towns, as well as what part of the country you are in (I am not sure about Idaho). No, not all of Idaho is in the middle of nowhere. In fact, central Idaho is fairly barren, with few towns at all (just look at a map). Almost all civilization in Idaho is along I90 and I84,86,15. Where there are major highways, there are ammenities, and with the highways, you can quickly get to where you need to go. We went through Idaho on one of our travels (we are NOT tourists, we are travellers), and it's alright. All the cities/towns we went through were much bigger than where my husband and I live.

For us, in Iowa, our town is mainly comprised of elderly people. We are the youngest couple in the town (23 and 22), with the next youngest being in their 30's with young children. In this town, we do not talk with others. why? because this town is stuck in the 1950's, especially in the religous spectere. If anyone here found out I had anything to do with Catholics, I'd be ostracised from 90% of my husband's family, who, as of right now, are okay with me. This is how the whole town is too....gossip runs everyone's lives here as well. This is another reason we do not socialize much, town drama is just plain stupid in our eyes. There are no ammedities in my town, save for 2 gas stations (both are struggling and are for sale, so soon enough there won't be any). The nearest store is 5 miles away (I work there). But I'm the only employee, and there's only 3 aisles. There isn't much here, just enough in case you forgot some ingrediant you may need for cooking. Other than that, the nearest actual Grocery store is 30 minutes away in all directions. From there, it's another 15-20 minutes to get to a big city (100,000+ people) where (in my opinion) is sprawling metropolis....I've been used to towns 5,000 people or less. IF you are talking about the boonies, where I live is it. I haven't even met another brony IRL because I live too far away from anything (and anyone)....

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

I'll repeat my post in the other thread, I guess it was an accidental duplicate and will probably be closed. You should ask Samurott77, she lives in a very small town. I come from a suburb of my state capital, and my town is quite large. Compared to cities like Boston or Baltimore, it is a small town, but it's not the same dynamic as the kinds of places you're likely to find in Idaho. I have family in a very small township in Pennsylvania, but I don't know a lot about growing up there so I don't think I can help. But yeah, I would ask Samurott77, towns don't get much smaller than hers. 

I live over an hour away from a city. My husband has to drive that everyday to go to work. We live in a town of just over 100 people. Honestly, it depends on WHO lives in these small towns, as well as what part of the country you are in (I am not sure about Idaho). No, not all of Idaho is in the middle of nowhere. In fact, central Idaho is fairly barren, with few towns at all (just look at a map). Almost all civilization in Idaho is along I90 and I84,86,15. Where there are major highways, there are ammenities, and with the highways, you can quickly get to where you need to go. We went through Idaho on one of our travels (we are NOT tourists, we are travellers), and it's alright. All the cities/towns we went through were much bigger than where my husband and I live.

For us, in Iowa, our town is mainly comprised of elderly people. We are the youngest couple in the town (23 and 22), with the next youngest being in their 30's with young children. In this town, we do not talk with others. why? because this town is stuck in the 1950's, especially in the religous spectere. If anyone here found out I had anything to do with Catholics, I'd be ostracised from 90% of my husband's family, who, as of right now, are okay with me. This is how the whole town is too....gossip runs everyone's lives here as well. This is another reason we do not socialize much, town drama is just plain stupid in our eyes. There are no ammedities in my town, save for 2 gas stations (both are struggling and are for sale, so soon enough there won't be any). The nearest store is 5 miles away (I work there). But I'm the only employee, and there's only 3 aisles. There isn't much here, just enough in case you forgot some ingrediant you may need for cooking. Other than that, the nearest actual Grocery store is 30 minutes away in all directions. From there, it's another 15-20 minutes to get to a big city (100,000+ people) where (in my opinion) is sprawling metropolis....I've been used to towns 5,000 people or less. IF you are talking about the boonies, where I live is it. I haven't even met another brony IRL because I live too far away from anything (and anyone)....

Unfortunately, due to medical reasons I can't drive, so I'll be reliant on my girlfriend to take me where I want to go!

But all of Idaho's like that, isn't it?

Although the only thing I know about the state is that all the Neo-Nazis have their training camps there!

From a quick glance at Wikipedia it looks like there isn't anything that could be considered a bustling metropolis, but there are still proper cities there. They probably not that great if you're looking for high culture, but they'll still have all the amenities you'll ever need.

I wouldn't worry about Neo-Nazis because they're a tiny minority and they're going to intentionally keep themselves isolated.

From a quick glance at Wikipedia it looks like there isn't anything that could be considered a bustling metropolis, but there are still proper cities there. They probably not that great if you're looking for high culture, but they'll still have all the amenities you'll ever need.

I wouldn't worry about Neo-Nazis because they're a tiny minority and they're going to intentionally keep themselves isolated.

To be honest it did leave me slightly worried because I am of Jewish heritage!

Unfortunately, due to medical reasons I can't drive, so I'll be reliant on my girlfriend to take me where I want to go!

That's going to really suck then. Public transportation in the US is terrible, and will be non-existent in the kind of place you're talking about.

• Brohoof 1

That's going to really suck then. Public transportation in the US is terrible, and will be non-existent in the kind of place you're talking about.

Tell me about it! Its bad enough where my aunt lives (Worcester, Massachusetts) so I can imagine what it will be like in Idaho!

This is life in America "Get up go outside find something to do, eat out maybe or at home visit someone or don't almost seem like nothing is happening argue about dumb people and how the country is in debt lot's of entertainment praise many people butchering english go home go to sleep end of weekend."

Tell me about it! Its bad enough where my aunt lives (Worcester, Massachusetts) so I can imagine what it will be like in Idaho!

Yeah, if your girlfriend isn't going to be too dependable for rides, your entire universe is basically going to consist of your house, a gas station and (if you're lucky) a McDonalds.

(edited)

The Neo-Nazis can't do much, even if there are many of them. Just pick and choose your battles, just as one should with everything (I do in the religious sector of this). The closest area I can equate with a metropolis is Boise. It's easy to get lost there (we did)....Unless you are living in a town in the Bitterroot Range (where the Salmon River and Clearwater Mountains are), you don't have to worry about not getting to any ammenities.

As for the inability to drive....I know how you feel. I recently got my licence (I was scared of driving for the longest time), and thus used my bicycle for travel. I usually bike 10+ miles a day just to get to and from my job. Public transportation is non-existant unless you live in a city of 50,000+ people (for the most part)

The one thing I would say to help you that all rural folk live by; be prepared. Bulk shop. Basically, you plan a month or more of what you will need for food, clothing, and all other things you cannot get at a gas station. We go shopping once every 2 months, and yeah, our bill is usually 400$ worth of food, paper towels, toilet paper and everything else, but it lasts us as long as we need it to.

I will say, out west, the major highways can and do close during the winter months due to bad storms and such, so make sure you DOUBLY prepared over the winter. Winters in America are very unpredicable (they are worse than Russian winters depending on where you live), and preparedness is everything in the winter. There are large gates by most highway exits that are used for highway closures. You will probably see them as well as Truck rollouts (I cannot remember the technical name off hand). Basically, if a semi goes too fast down hills, there are small exits for them to regain control of the semi in case they go too fast (there are usually soft sand/foam buffers at the end of these so no major damage comes to the semi). There are also tire chain mounting/dismounting areas because roads that are open during the winter can still be treacherous for vehicles. Most vehicles are not made for winters and do have the power to climb hills or stay in control on snowy, icy roads.....again prepardness is everything.

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

this. There are no buses in a small town, at least not to my knowledge (there certainly aren't any in this one).  I got my license as soon as possible because from where I live, everything is a good 30-minute drive away except for a grocery store and a McDonalds. And a random salon.  Ask your girlfriend if she knows what kind of stores are around, because a lot of times there are none.  Country folk are hit-and-miss.  Sometimes they can be sweet and generous, others are religious nuts, it really depends.  I broke down twice within 2 weeks out here in the boonies and both times, almost as soon as it happened someone pulled over to help.

• Brohoof 1

The Neo-Nazis can't do much, even if there are many of them. Just pick and choose your battles, just as one should with everything (I do in the religious sector of this). The closest area I can equate with a metropolis is Boise. It's easy to get lost there (we did)....Unless you are living in a town in the Bitterroot Range (where the Salmon River and Clearwater Mountains are), you don't have to worry about not getting to any ammenities.

As for the inability to drive....I know how you feel. I recently got my licence (I was scared of driving for the longest time), and thus used my bicycle for travel. I usually bike 10+ miles a day just to get to and from my job. Public transportation is non-existant unless you live in a city of 50,000+ people (for the most part)

The one thing I would say to help you that all rural folk live by; be prepared. Bulk shop. Basically, you plan a month or more of what you will need for food, clothing, and all other things you cannot get at a gas station. We go shopping once every 2 months, and yeah, our bill is usually 400$ worth of food, paper towels, toilet paper and everything else, but it lasts us as long as we need it to.

I will say, out west, the major highways can and do close during the winter months due to bad storms and such, so make sure you DOUBLY prepared over the winter. Winters in America are very unpredicable (they are worse than Russian winters depending on where you live), and preparedness is everything in the winter. There are large gates by most highway exits that are used for highway closures. You will probably see them as well as Truck rollouts (I cannot remember the technical name off hand). Basically, if a semi goes too fast down hills, there are small exits for them to regain control of the semi in case they go too fast (there are usually soft sand/foam buffers at the end of these so no major damage comes to the semi). There are also tire chain mounting/dismounting areas because roads that are open during the winter can still be treacherous for vehicles. Most vehicles are not made for winters and do have the power to climb hills or stay in control on snowy, icy roads.....again prepardness is everything.

I'm getting the idea that this isn't gonna be such a good idea!

I'm getting the idea that this isn't gonna be such a good idea!

If you can't drive, then you definitely need to try and compromise with her and move to an actual city like Boise.

• Brohoof 1

There won't even be a Greyhound service?

Greyhound is focused on big cross country trips. The kind of thing that you would pack luggage and fly in a plane for.

So no.

From what I've seen in Idaho there aren't any mega cities comparable to the ones you see in movies, but there are still some decently-sized towns, like Boise. Idaho does have a lot of farmland, but every state in the US has large cities somewhere.

I live right next to Idaho in Oregon in a small town. There's about 10,000 people but most of them live on the outer edges of the city or way out in the country. It's a small(ish) farm town. I've never really felt like I was missing out on anything living there. We had one high school, two grocery stores, and one theater. We're 20 minutes away from the capitol, which is where people go to get anything more than groceries or something. We have 3 stoplights and it only takes like 7 minutes max to drive from one end of town to the other. Our "downtown" is about 4 blocks long and 3 blocks wide. We live near a few tourist attractions and in the middle of wine country which is why so many people have moved there. It's a perfect amount of people though. Everywhere I go I see someone I know, but I also met new people all the time. 

I've only lived in one small town (and it was voted one of the top 10 coolest small towns), so other towns may be different. It may take some getting used to but the community atmosphere and comfort of a small town is fantastic!

I guess my town is considered small. It's defiantly not a city or anything big xD There's not much to do here, nothing to attract visitors at all. Nothing is here that is better than anything somewhere else and nothing to set my town apart from any other. It's not the run-down old and beat up town that I imagine first when thinking of a "small town" but where I live classifies anyways. I live near one of the biggest cities (I think) in my state, but nobody ever wishes to visit a capitol of the "landmass." (That title came from a news story where a lady forgot the name of "Mississippi" and called it a "landmass" xD ) 

I like it here, though! I don't know how well I would do in a huge city. I absolutely loved Chicago on the one time I have been there but there are thing here that I would miss. Having all the nature around, the nice weather, and such. 

The town I live in has less than 2,000 people in it, so it qualifies as small, I'm pretty sure :D

Kinda dull and quiet, honestly. No doubt there's better out there, and everyone seems to know each other's business.

Also, our High School Football team is practically a religion to the city, but I think that comes with being from a small town from Texas rather than just a small town :D

The best part about small towns is the fact at night there isn't a single person for miles best time for a walk in my opinion.

I know right? Walking around the town at night when no one's out is pretty amazing :D

• Brohoof 1