Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

What's life like in small town USA?

Rarity Paige Belle

The town I live in has less than 2,000 people in it, so it qualifies as small, I'm pretty sure :D

Kinda dull and quiet, honestly. No doubt there's better out there, and everyone seems to know each other's business.

Also, our High School Football team is practically a religion to the city, but I think that comes with being from a small town from Texas rather than just a small town :D

I know right? Walking around the town at night when no one's out is pretty amazing :D

That whole 'screw you, I'm from Texas' thing, is that just a stereotype?

That whole 'screw you, I'm from Texas' thing, is that just a stereotype?

Most stereotypes about Texas are true. Elitists, rednecks, conservatives, jesus-freaks who throw the bible at anything they dislike...

That's why I hate it here so much :D

Of course, we have some good things, like Whataburger, cowboy hats, the Texas Rangers baseball team, and Pantera, but all in all it's not too great of a place.

Most stereotypes about Texas are true. Elitists, rednecks, conservatives, jesus-freaks who throw the bible at anything they dislike...

That's why I hate it here so much :D

Of course, we have some good things, like Whataburger, cowboy hats, the Texas Rangers baseball team, and Pantera, but all in all it's not too great of a place.

Is it true there is deep fried butter over there?

• Brohoof 1

Is it true there is deep fried butter over there?

Yeahh.

We also have deep fried beer, deep fried thanksgiving dinner, deep fried oreos, deep fried twinkies...you name it, we fry it :D

Of course, that's all at the state fair :D

Here's a look at the stuff we usually serve in the fair, if anyone's interested :D

http://gizmodo.com/the-11-weirdest-fried-foods-at-the-state-fair-of-texas-1445130490

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Tell me about it! Its bad enough where my aunt lives (Worcester, Massachusetts) so I can imagine what it will be like in Idaho!

If you can't drive and you live in a small town... well get ready for lots of cabin fever of seeing the same things over and over. I live in a town of 2000 people... the local supermarket has HUGELY inflated prices even though there is a dollar general around the corner, we have pizza and chinese as our only means of fast food lol and 2 other resteraunts, one being high maintainance and dress up and expensive the other being almost as expensive but not so much so and they like sitting me in the back away from the main crowd... we dod have a library that has a decent selection of books but our parks are small as crap.... and yeah 15 minute drive to any good grocery store at least so /shrug. I guarentee it will be a pain if you can't drive. 

edit: I quoted the wrong thing!! XDDD

Edited by Shawchert
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

Yeahh.

We also have deep fried beer, deep fried thanksgiving dinner, deep fried oreos, deep fried twinkies...you name it, we fry it :D

I've heard of deep fried twinkies and oreos here in New York, but beer? How the hell do you deep fry beer?

On topic, I don't live in a small town, but I do know that public transportation might be a problem unless someone else will be driving you. I live in a town with roughly 30,000, and we hardly have buses here other than for school, so I'd imagine it would be a lot worse in a small one.

Edited by Sir Fluffernutter
  • Brohoof 1

I've heard of deep fried twinkies and oreos here in New York, but beer? How the hell do you deep fry beer?

On topic, I don't live in a small town, but I do know that public transportation might be a problem unless someone else will be driving you. I live in a town with roughly 30,000, and we hardly have buses here other than for school, so I'd imagine it would be a lot worse in a small one.

Really? I thought NY had quite good public transport?

• Brohoof 1

I liked Clearwater Florida, it feels like a town, despite it's considered a middle sized city. Best of all, you don't even need to go to Tampa to buy, I had pretty much everything at my reach when I lived there for 8 months

(edited)

Only in the cities, as far as I know(It is rather good there). I'm outside of it, and in my town, there's only one bus that I know of. Maybe two. Over in NYC, there's tons of them. So buses aren't really all that useful where I live(We do have trains, though.) I'd expect there would be only one or less in a small town. 

Here's the recipe to the Texas delicacy :D

http://www.wikihow.com/Cook-Deep-Fried-Beer

This is what it's like living in Small Town, Texas, people.

That is quite possibly one of the weirdest foods I've seen that isn't some form of animal. Congratulations Texas on confusing people in other states with your deep frying abilities.

Edited by Sir Fluffernutter
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

I live in upstate NY.... in a town of 2000 people... the bus system is TERRIIIBBBLLLEEEE!!!

Only in the cities, as far as I know(It is rather good there). I'm outside of it, and in my town, there's only one bus that I know of. Maybe two. Over in NYC, there's tons of them. So buses aren't really all that useful where I live(We do have trains, though.) I'd expect there would be only one or less in a small town. 

That is quite possibly one of the weirdest foods I've seen that isn't some form of animal. Congratulations Texas on confusing people in other states with your deep frying abilities.

well i've had fried icecream!!

Edited by Shawchert

I live in a small town in Pennsylvania. Pittsburgh is roughly an hour's drive and Washington (another city of maybe 50,000 people) is about a 30 minute drive away. Nothing much happens, but if there's a big sports event, or the high school is graduating its senior class, or someone famous is coming then it will draw a decent-sized crowd. Otherwise, it's kinda boring, unless I go over to a friend's house to talk or play video games.

Yeahh.

Of course, that's all at the state fair :D

Here's a look at the stuff we usually serve in the fair, if anyone's interested :D

http://gizmodo.com/the-11-weirdest-fried-foods-at-the-state-fair-of-texas-1445130490

I've had deep fried Oreos and deep fried Milky Way before, loved it. I would eat 20 of them if they weren't so unhealthy. :D And deep fried beer? That just sounds crazy. :o

As for the article, I think I got heartburn when I saw the deep fried chocolate chip burrito. :lol:

• Brohoof 2

I've just looked up the place on Google maps. Somewhere called Sandpoint. God it's remote! It's closer to Alberta than Boise!

It looks like you'll have a train to Spokane, WA! That takes 1 hour and 5 minutes. And only leaves once a day :(

Duh, what am I thinking. Move to Spokane. It seems to be a decent sized city and it's not a totally horrific distance from your girlfriend's town.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's not so bad. I like the whole "small town" feel. Everybody in the town knows each other better, and you can actually see the stars at night. It is annoying how much you have to drive to get anywhere though. I live about an hour away from the Mall of America. Basically to do anything like going to Target, a mall, or the movies I have a minimum driving time of about half an hour. 

At least if the Zombie Apocalypse happens you have a better chance of survival than people in a cramped city.  

On a more serious note, I'd say that I enjoy living in a small town. I grew up in the cities and moved to this small town I currently reside in when I was 5. I remember there was more to do in the cities. However, I do enjoy my small town. I feel safe here too. I don't feel like I'm going to get mugged constantly, which is nice.

Edited by Mikami

It's not so bad. I like the whole "small town" feel. Everybody in the town knows each other better, and you can actually see the stars at night. It is annoying how much you have to drive to get anywhere though. I live about an hour away from the Mall of America. Basically to do anything like going to Target, a mall, or the movies I have a minimum driving time of about half an hour. 

At least if the Zombie Apocalypse happens you have a better chance of survival than people in a cramped city.  

On a more serious note, I'd say that I enjoy living in a small town. I grew up in the cities and moved to this small town I currently reside in when I was 5. I remember there was more to do in the cities. However, I do enjoy my small town. I feel safe here too. I don't feel like I'm going to get mugged constantly, which is nice.

I'm guessing you live near Minneapolis, which is a big city. Where my girlfriend wants to move to is the wilderness! I've always lived in London, so its gonna be a shock if we do move to Idaho!

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Quiet, the people are nice. But, in most REALLY small towns in the south, you will likely find quite a few conservative idiots that don't know how to even politics.

Edited by Twilly F. Sniper

(edited)

I'm guessing you live near Minneapolis, which is a big city. Where my girlfriend wants to move to is the wilderness! I've always lived in London, so its gonna be a shock if we do move to Idaho!

Yeah, but my town only has 6000 people in it or so. Then again this would probably be big in comparison to the town in Idaho.

My dad actually was working with a guy from Idaho a few weeks back. He was just driving through some suburbs a half an hour south of Minneapolis, and he was shocked. He'd never seen a "city" that big before.

So yeah, I can see what you're getting at. I think moving to Idaho would be fun. It seems like a nice, safe, quaint little state. I'd much rather live in Idaho than a lot of other places in the US. 

Edited by Mikami
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

I get the feeling I am one of the few who live in a true rinky dinky boonie town by what people here are talking about. Of course, when my husband inherits the family farm, our nearest neighbor will be 2 miles away....man, this topic really makes me feel lonely and islolated :(  The nearest school is 30 minutes away, so good luck "worshipping" the football team even (I don't even care about this, but it's the most common thing to chat about in small towns that have schools)....

If you are going to be living in Sandport, as long as you live within the city limits, I think you'll be fine. A town of 7,000 with it being not only county seat but also the biggest town in that county considering how large that county is, you'll have all the ammedities you could need right there. Plus, with the availability of a train, a fairly large school district, as well as the Coldwater Creek clothing hub (that brand is all over the USA), you will most definitely have a better time getting to things you may need without travelling out of the town. :lol:

Edited by Treble Bolt
  • Brohoof 2

I think everybody's putting down the image of the small town a little too much. It's got its pluses, like cheap land and places to hunt, shoot, fish, etc. Especially with the internet now, it doesn't always have to be quiet either. Just keep yourself occupied! Also I've noticed that living in a rural place really makes me feel more like an individual, whereas in a city I feel unimportant and "part of the crowd" more.

It really does depend on what you mean by "small town". My own hometown is a very quiet place for the most part. There's no real need to go to any of the larger cities unless we need to buy new clothes or shoes (and the closest clothing store is about a 15 minute drive with good traffic!).

I live in a small-ass town in Illinois.

It's not even on the map. No joke.

Everyone knows everyone even though the total population here is about 50+

It's pretty much ruled by farmland.