Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Why did Lauren Faust stop working so much on the show?

shootingscuddy

Give me a better answer than I'll calm down.

No thanks. Because i already see, that this will lead to nowhere. Congrats, you win an internet argument. :)

Nahhh you tripping there buddy. If Season 1 was so bad than there wouldn't been bronies. Can you go into detail why the writing was bad?

I didn't say Season 1 was bad, on the contrary, Season 1 is quite alright. It's just that the writing in Seasons 2 to 5 were far superior.

- Again like I said earlier Friendship is Magic is worst two parter. Nightmare Moon was easily the series worst villain as she was utterly incompetent in taking down the Mane 6, in fact she outright HELPED them find their elements! Even then they gave it away before they left for the forest.

--Griffon Brush-Off: Okay so besides the fact that Gilda was a one-dimensional jerk that used outdated "totally radical" speech, there was another thing that didn't sit well for me. Now keep in mind, I like Pinkie Pie as a character but there was always one thing that annoyed me and that was the fact that she doesn't learn that not everyone can be your friend and spent the episode trying to force RD and Gilda to hang out with her or sabotage Dash and Gilda's friendship, which she succeeded in. Yeah, I know that Gilda was a jerk but that doesn't give Pinkie the right to decide who RD can hang out with. I have friends who hang out with people I don't really like, but hell, it's their business who they want to hang out with, not mine and out of respect for my friends, I won't speak ill about theirs.

- Boast Busters: TRIXIE DID NOTHING WRONG! She was just doing her job (being a showmare) and the Mane 6 come along acting downright deplorable and start heckling then later on Snips and Snails destroy her home by bringing an Ursa minor to Ponyville and they get away scott free with it.

- Swarm of the Century: The moral was about how we should stop and listen to what our friends have to say regarding a problem but the thing that messes up the message is that the whole incident with the parasprites could have been avoided had Pinkie stopped and said "Oh, I've got to get these instruments! Here's why!" instead she was just being as vague and unhelpful as she could.

- Look before you sleep. I know it's been said but, Rarity and Applejack really annoyed me in this episode. I mean here they are, they're supposed to be reasonable adults, with their own careers and here they are acting like children! It was like watching Spongebob and Patrick argue, that's how bad it was! And really Twilight was being pretty stupid here, I mean her friends are blatantly fighting right in front of her and instead of intervening in a reasonable manner, she's just like "this isn't in the book!" And that scene with the tree, that was just dumb! Instead of doing what she can to get rid of it, she sits there like an idiot and goes "Does this count as camping!?" Say what you want about Twilight being "too smart or perfect" in Season 4 but it's better than her being completely stupid like she was here. I'll say that this episode aged less gracefully than the bad episodes in Season 3, 4 and 5! At they acted their age!

- Bridle Gossip: portrayed Pinkie as straight up asshole who used fear mongering to whip the ponies into a frenzy against poor Zecora. Pinkie contributed to the problem here, and not just in an innocent way, this runs contrary to her character. What happened to the pony who wanted to be everyone's friend? Zecora's hut is filled with trite borderline offensive tribal imagery. It wasn't enough that Zecora's design is enough of a disparity, nope, we gotta plaster the place with all kinds of stupid stuff. Because Faust lacks subtlety. The other thing this screws up is the moral. Twilight is resolute in not judging a book by it's cover through the episode, right until the end when she drops her convictions and believes Zecora is bad. She lost all credibility. The moral about not judging a book by it's cover, one closely tied to racism and bigotry, and screw it up.

- Feeling Pinkie Keen: Alienated those that were big into science by going "If it looks like you can't explain something then you shouldn't bother trying to find out how."

- Over the Barrel: Took a chapter of American history about how the settlers took over the Aboriginal's land and handled it rather tastelessly.

- Owl's Well that Ends Well: Has the mane 6 praising an animal with equal to or greater praise than what they gave Spike at the beginning of the episode. An owl they just met, and they're doing that? Twilight berates Spike for the way he feels. That complaint about Spike being abused? It started right here, and it's arguably the worst case of it.

-The Best Night Ever. Not a bad episode, in fact it was pretty good. The only criticism I have with it is that as a season finale, it's pretty underwhelming. Again, it was a very good episode but it felt like just another episode rather than a finale. Again most of the shows I watch usually have a grand opening and finale for every season so take this one as you will

And because I'm a jackass I'll end with this:

MacCarthy Era, Superior

Faust Era, Inferior

soundwave_s_smiley_face_by_delgatron-d6c

Serious Note: If you like the Faust Era seasons better, that's fine. But don't pass off your opinion as fact. I think the later seasons are better but that's my opinion. You can say that the Faust Era seasons are better until you're blue in the face, it is not and will never be a fact. So don't try to push it off as such and whatever you do DON'T INSULT PEOPLE because the new seasons are better in their opinion. That's what gets you written off as a SeezunWunner.

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

From watching her interviews, the whole thing went better than she expected. She didn't think it would even go as good as it did for her. She ONLY got involved at all because she liked the pony toys as a kid. She did state that she thought creating the show bible would be the only part that would be any fun.

It seemed that she knew it was only going to last so long for her before things started going downhill. I think the MAJOR thing was her living in California, with everything pretty much going on in Vancouver. There is SO much involved in producing a cartoon/tv show. Trying to keep tabs on almost everything from 1000+ miles away has to wear on a person- even with today's technology.

post-24370-0-33564100-1437847333_thumb.png

I think this picture SHE drew says a lot.

Maybe she just would rather be more directly involved in a project?  Even though she still loved MLP, I think she wanted a more hands-on role in something vs spending most of her time supervising everything. After MLP she was working on Super Best Friends Forever, Wonder Over Yonder with her husband, and the upcoming Medusa movie.

Also, who knows, maybe Hasbro came up with the Equestria Girls concept at that time and it was the final straw for her?

Edited by Cirrus.

There is no distinctive or definitive explanation as these things tend to be kept under wraps. So we may never know the exact truth of what happened, but there are numerous theories, the most accepted that I would submit to is that around the time of the Equestria Girls movie script being submitted, was around when she left the show. So the most logical explanation is that she was unhappy with the direction that Hasbro was taking the show, and thus parted with it because she knew she could not change that. So the most logical explanation was the Equestria Girls movie was just something she did not want to do.

Either way, it looks like Faust wishes to be left alone and I think it's best to do that and not send her messages on DA and Twitter like a lot of bronies seem to be doing.

(edited)

I didn't say Season 1 was bad, on the contrary, Season 1 is quite alright. It's just that the writing in Seasons 2 to 5 were far superior.

- Again like I said earlier Friendship is Magic is worst two parter. Nightmare Moon was easily the series worst villain as she was utterly incompetent in taking down the Mane 6, in fact she outright HELPED them find their elements! Even then they gave it away before they left for the forest.

--Griffon Brush-Off: Okay so besides the fact that Gilda was a one-dimensional jerk that used outdated "totally radical" speech, there was another thing that didn't sit well for me. Now keep in mind, I like Pinkie Pie as a character but there was always one thing that annoyed me and that was the fact that she doesn't learn that not everyone can be your friend and spent the episode trying to force RD and Gilda to hang out with her or sabotage Dash and Gilda's friendship, which she succeeded in. Yeah, I know that Gilda was a jerk but that doesn't give Pinkie the right to decide who RD can hang out with. I have friends who hang out with people I don't really like, but hell, it's their business who they want to hang out with, not mine and out of respect for my friends, I won't speak ill about theirs.

- Boast Busters: TRIXIE DID NOTHING WRONG! She was just doing her job (being a showmare) and the Mane 6 come along acting downright deplorable and start heckling then later on Snips and Snails destroy her home by bringing an Ursa minor to Ponyville and they get away scott free with it.

- Swarm of the Century: The moral was about how we should stop and listen to what our friends have to say regarding a problem but the thing that messes up the message is that the whole incident with the parasprites could have been avoided had Pinkie stopped and said "Oh, I've got to get these instruments! Here's why!" instead she was just being as vague and unhelpful as she could.

- Look before you sleep. I know it's been said but, Rarity and Applejack really annoyed me in this episode. I mean here they are, they're supposed to be reasonable adults, with their own careers and here they are acting like children! It was like watching Spongebob and Patrick argue, that's how bad it was! And really Twilight was being pretty stupid here, I mean her friends are blatantly fighting right in front of her and instead of intervening in a reasonable manner, she's just like "this isn't in the book!" And that scene with the tree, that was just dumb! Instead of doing what she can to get rid of it, she sits there like an idiot and goes "Does this count as camping!?" Say what you want about Twilight being "too smart or perfect" in Season 4 but it's better than her being completely stupid like she was here. I'll say that this episode aged less gracefully than the bad episodes in Season 3, 4 and 5! At they acted their age!

- Bridle Gossip: portrayed Pinkie as straight up asshole who used fear mongering to whip the ponies into a frenzy against poor Zecora. Pinkie contributed to the problem here, and not just in an innocent way, this runs contrary to her character. What happened to the pony who wanted to be everyone's friend? Zecora's hut is filled with trite borderline offensive tribal imagery. It wasn't enough that Zecora's design is enough of a disparity, nope, we gotta plaster the place with all kinds of stupid stuff. Because Faust lacks subtlety. The other thing this screws up is the moral. Twilight is resolute in not judging a book by it's cover through the episode, right until the end when she drops her convictions and believes Zecora is bad. She lost all credibility. The moral about not judging a book by it's cover, one closely tied to racism and bigotry, and screw it up.

- Feeling Pinkie Keen: Alienated those that were big into science by going "If it looks like you can't explain something then you shouldn't bother trying to find out how."

- Over the Barrel: Took a chapter of American history about how the settlers took over the Aboriginal's land and handled it rather tastelessly.

- Owl's Well that Ends Well: Has the mane 6 praising an animal with equal to or greater praise than what they gave Spike at the beginning of the episode. An owl they just met, and they're doing that? Twilight berates Spike for the way he feels. That complaint about Spike being abused? It started right here, and it's arguably the worst case of it.

-The Best Night Ever. Not a bad episode, in fact it was pretty good. The only criticism I have with it is that as a season finale, it's pretty underwhelming. Again, it was a very good episode but it felt like just another episode rather than a finale. Again most of the shows I watch usually have a grand opening and finale for every season so take this one as you will

And because I'm a jackass I'll end with this:

MacCarthy Era, Superior

Faust Era, Inferior

sig-3969582.soundwave_s_smiley_face_by_d

Serious Note: If you like the Faust Era seasons better, that's fine. But don't pass off your opinion as fact. I think the later seasons are better but that's my opinion. You can say that the Faust Era seasons are better until you're blue in the face, it is not and will never be a fact. So don't try to push it off as such and whatever you do DON'T INSULT PEOPLE because the new seasons are better in their opinion. That's what gets you written off as a SeezunWunner.

Sounds like a lot of that is placed upon your own personal feelings in the matter. Are you telling me that bad writing is something that is based on your own personal feelings?

I can easily point out all the flaws found in Season 3-5 that indicate bad writing.

I can think them off the top of my head. The Castle of the Two Sisters came up... and then it's gone? What? The Spike episodes... should they even exist? Do they not know how to use this character? Let's look at Season 1-2 Spike, how he is portrayed in Pony and Dog Show and Dragon Quest very epic. The best McCarthy seasons can come up with is what Inspiration Manifestation? Lame portrayal of Spike in general after Season 2.

Slice of Life. Oh bucking god. When I watched that it felt like some unprofessional brony's fanfic gone wrong. Lot more to say about this but continuing...

Magical Mystery Cure. Very rushed. Twilight messes up everyone's Cutie Mark and Element, she fixes the problem and suddenly she ascends into alicornhood? What in the hay? The lesson is that you have to ascend into some princess state that others are born into but if you try really really hard you can gain an extra pair of arms and suddenly you're demi-god status. Okay I can relate to that.

Rainbow Dash's duties as a Wonderbolt completely oblivious. Where did her duties go? If she's in the reserves why has she not had an episode on this for a long time?

Pinkie Pie wants to show the Yakyakistan what Equestria is all about... BUT THAT WAS WHAT THEY WERE COMPLAINING ABOUT AND SUDDENLY THEY'RE OKAY WITH IT? Okay something's wrong about that. Where's the light switch? There was none.

McCarthy era inferior

Faust era superior forever

Edited by cider float

Sounds like a lot of that is placed upon your own personal feelings in the matter. Are you telling me that bad writing is something that is based on your own personal feelings?

I can easily point out all the flaws found in Season 3-5 that indicate bad writing.

He actually said that it was his opinion in the end comment. Bad writing is subjective, so just because you do not feel something is bad writing doesn't mean it isn't bad writing to someone else. Bad and good are subjective terms.

He actually said that it was his opinion in the end comment. Bad writing is subjective, so just because you do not feel something is bad writing doesn't mean it isn't bad writing to someone else. Bad and good are subjective terms.

Actually a lot of the bad writing people like him say seem to be on personal feelings that is not directly correlated with what is bad writing. Writing needs to seriously make some sense though.

Like Pinkie Pie travels all the way to Yakyakistan having small misadventures, she's forced back to Ponyville she turns up to tell the Yaks oh hey just enjoy what Equestria is about... DAFUQ. Where was her moment of revelation? All she told the Yaks were hey just enjoy what Equestria but wasn't that the reason the Yaks were pissed off? Because the things there were not from Yakyakistan?

What was the Yak's problem and how is the solution the problem?

Actually a lot of the bad writing people like him say seem to be on personal feelings that is not directly correlated with what is bad writing. Writing needs to seriously make some sense though.

Like Pinkie Pie travels all the way to Yakyakistan having small misadventures, she's forced back to Ponyville she turns up to tell the Yaks oh hey just enjoy what Equestria is about... DAFUQ. Where was her moment of revelation? All she told the Yaks were hey just enjoy what Equestria but wasn't that the reason the Yaks were pissed off? Because the things there were not from Yakyakistan?

What was the Yak's problem and how is the solution the problem?

Once again though: you are basing this off of your own opinion. What makes sense to you does not always make sense to others. So if you are going to criticize someone because it's clear they are basing things on their personal tastes, then you shouldn't be using your personal tastes to argue against.

I haven't seen the episode you're talking about, so I can not comment on it, but I can say that what people prefer to see in a story differs from person to person. So if you are trying to defend your opinion that's all good and dandy, but don't try to pass it off as not your opinion.

Once again though: you are basing this off of your own opinion. What makes sense to you does not always make sense to others. So if you are going to criticize someone because it's clear they are basing things on their personal tastes, then you shouldn't be using your personal tastes to argue against.

I haven't seen the episode you're talking about, so I can not comment on it, but I can say that what people prefer to see in a story differs from person to person. So if you are trying to defend your opinion that's all good and dandy, but don't try to pass it off as not your opinion.

This isn't about opinion this or opinion that. There is still logic to consider in the matter of how writing is laid out. Season 1 and 2 were means to introduce the characters, he's not talking about how the plot is laid out he's talking about how he doesn't like a character which has absolutely nothing to do with how good the writing is or not he's using a strawman argument to state it is bad writing.

Here's an example.

Version 1

Mary and John are brothers and sisters. Their mother told them to go buy bread and milk at the store. Before they got to the store, John took the money and bought new shoes instead. Mary became angry at John so she forced him to go get a job as a grocery clerk at Ray's Supermarket. They made enough money bought the bread and milk and brought it back to their mother.

Version 2

Mary and John are brothers and sisters. Their mother told them to go buy bread and milk at the store. Before they got to the store, John took the money and bought new shoes instead. They made enough money bought the bread and milk.

Coffee Brony: John is such a dick version 1 and 2 is bad writing

Me: Version 2 is bad writing, Version 1 states how John made money. Version 2 leaves something to be desired.

This isn't about opinion this or opinion that. There is still logic to consider in the matter of how writing is laid out. Season 1 and 2 were means to introduce the characters, he's not talking about how the plot is laid out he's talking about how he doesn't like a character which has absolutely nothing to do with how good the writing is or not he's using a strawman argument to state it is bad writing.

Here's an example.

Version 1

Mary and John are brothers and sisters. Their mother told them to go buy bread and milk at the store. Before they got to the store, John took the money and bought new shoes instead. Mary became angry at John so she forced him to go get a job as a grocery clerk at Ray's Supermarket. They made enough money bought the bread and milk and brought it back to their mother.

Version 2

Mary and John are brothers and sisters. Their mother told them to go buy bread and milk at the store. Before they got to the store, John took the money and bought new shoes instead. They made enough money bought the bread and milk.

Coffee Brony: John is such a dick version 1 and 2 is bad writing

Me: Version 2 is bad writing, Version 1 states how John made money. Version 2 leaves something to be desired.

However in some's eyes minimalist approaches with leaving details to be desired can be considered good. Some people prefer to fill in the blanks themselves and find that more enjoyable. You are still arguing opinion vs. opinion.

(edited)

However in some's eyes minimalist approaches with leaving details to be desired can be considered good. Some people prefer to fill in the blanks themselves and find that more enjoyable. You are still arguing opinion vs. opinion.

No I'm not I have already pointed out the fallacy. Completely discrediting the entirety of the work because you don't like a character or characters in it is hardly an excuse. Stop ducking behind "opinions" because I could simply say

I'm right you're wrong as a part of the argument and continue that way which provides no grounds for an argument because it's just a repeat.

But if I was to entertain your idea about these people that like to fill out the blanks you're saying they're not smart enough to just believe there is a reason for the character to act a certain way and not settle with that? Because if they enjoy filling out the blanks and making up ideas on how things turn out they can reason why characters are the way they are no? Then they couldn't call that bad writing but just a lack of their own imaginative thinking no?

Edited by cider float

No I'm not I have already pointed out the fallacy. Completely discrediting the entirety of the work because you don't like a character or characters in it is hardly an excuse. Stop ducking behind "opinions" because I could simply say

I'm right you're wrong as a part of the argument and continue that way which provides no grounds for an argument because it's just a repeat.

But if I was to entertain your idea about these people that like to fill out the blanks you're saying they're not smart enough to just believe there is a reason for the character to act a certain way and not settle with that? Because if they enjoy filling out the blanks and making up ideas on how things turn out they can reason why characters are the way they are no? Then they couldn't call that bad writing but just a lack of their own imaginative thinking no?

I think it's best to agree to disagree at this point.

Every season had bad episodes. I'm saying that no era is objectively better than the other. You can say the Faust Era is better till you're blue in the face, however, it doesn't make it true.

I just think Season 1 by far had the weakest writing to it and some of my least favorite episodes are from the Faust Era like Mysterious Mare-Do-Well.

Every season had bad episodes. I'm saying that no era is objectively better than the other. You can say the Faust Era is better till you're blue in the face, however, it doesn't make it true.

I just think Season 1 by far had the weakest writing to it and some of my least favorite episodes are from the Faust Era like Mysterious Mare-Do-Well.

Neither does it make it true that the seasons after season 2 were better.

I didn't say you didn't I was merely adding additional information.

Do you always get so worked up, when people think S1 and S2 aren't that good? Just a question.

Do you always get so worked up, when people think S1 and S2 aren't that good? Just a question.

Nah I held it all in people always state it like a fact I never hear the "oh in my opinion" and all that junk but you know what just had to break up the silence once in a while you know and wait thought you didn't want to have this conversation?