Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

If Hasbro sold to a few trusted, skilled Bronies and Pegasisters all of MLP?

HorsesandMOARGaloar

These selected, chosen few had the skills needed for running an entire franchise, with Lauren Faust as future CEO of this what-if group.

So what would be the glorious/horrible consequences if it chanced that Hasbro sold off/gave away all of the MLP franchise (every generation, including the worthy-to-be-burned prior ones and this one) to this skilled group?

Fan wars?

Hasbro has much more than MLP that most bronies don't give a crap about. If you sold it to a few trusted bronies, though, I think they'd run it to the best of their abilities, with a bit of emphasis on the MLP branch whether or not they meant to, per personal preference. We've got some smart, mature people in this fandom that would be excellent businessmen and women; of course, that's not something most of the fandom, myself included, would be cut out for :D

• Brohoof 2

We all know how ''great'' double rainboom was...

I like it the way it is now. Maybe if they gave total controll to DHX and meghan etc...

But not the fans... they would destroy it. Not saying that the fandom is bad or anything but alot of things that arent cannon would become cannon. Why the fuck would Scootaloo be homeless. Why the fuck do people see Celestia as some sort of dictator.

Just sayin.

The fan catering would become very silly. And the current writers of the show are amazing.

Edited by SveciaDash
  • Brohoof 2

Agreed. This isn't the Star Wars prequels where most of the older fans could have vastly improved the source material. The show is in capable hands.

HOWEVER, if the fans had a greater say in the merchandise ... that would be perfect. I want an Elements of Harmony formation statue with the Mane Six defeating Discord. I seriously doubt anything like that will be put out by Hasbro.

• Brohoof 1

I wouldn't want to see the whole franchise sold off to the fandom, however, it would be cool to see more licences for fan-made media. Something like that would encourage fandom talent (rather than C&Ding anything of professional quality) and allow us to fill in empty sections of canon that the show simply can't address, kinda like the comics. I definitely wouldn't want to see the entire franchise sold off (besides, it's too profitable to sell at this point), but it would be cool to see them and some of the fan media groups (such as JanAnimations) work towards licensing agreements. Maybe in return some of the skilled plush makers out there could license a good pattern to Hasbro so they could start producing better plushies...

Just think, brony companies doing business with Hasbro for the benefit of all...

I like it the way it is now. Maybe if they gave total controll to DHX and meghan etc...

But not the fans... they would destroy it. Not saying that the fandom is bad or anything but alot of things that arent cannon would become cannon. Why the fuck would Scootaloo be homeless. Why the fuck do people see Celestia as some sort of dictator.

Just sayin.

The fan catering would become very silly. And the current writers of the show are amazing.

the writers are very good in the show they keep it for the target audience mostly but sometimes they give us a little something too 

These selected, chosen few had the skills needed for running an entire franchise, with Lauren Faust as future CEO of this what-if group. So what would be the glorious/horrible consequences if it chanced that Hasbro sold off/gave away all of the MLP franchise (every generation, including the worthy-to-be-burned prior ones and this one) to this skilled group?

I once put forward a similar idea, of "freeing the ponies" from the hands of Hasbro, by making a huge chip in on Kickstarter or similar, to raise enough money from the fans to be able to buy out the entire franchise of enslaved ponies from Hasbro, or at least some license which all fans could use to make their fan works, not having to worry anymore that Hasbro will come and Crush&Destroy their precious labor of love.

Also, see what I wrote here.

"Double Rainboom" was good when put in proper context: it was good in terms of animation. Nearly show-accurate, and probably the best fanmade animation (not counting Jan Animations, R.I.P.), regarding how  the "Double Rainboom" project used less resources and profesionals than DHX has available. Remember that it was the first fanmade project that big.

It was just bad at writing and dialogues, and overdone with references. Mixing it with Power Puff Girls universe was also a bad idea. But these flaws could be easily improved if more fans cooperated on that project. They definitely needed better writers.

I like it the way it is now.

You mean Crashed & Destroyed? *tsk tsk...* :-/

I'd rather like it to stay, at least as a remainder to the fans of what we are capable of. I don't know any other TV show which fans would made their own episodes solely by their bare hands. It might be crappy, but still notable, and should remain available for historical reasons.

Maybe if they gave total controll to DHX and meghan etc...   But not the fans... they would destroy it.

Not necessarily. They could make spin-offs and "forks". They're free to do it anyway if they really want (not counting Hasbro's C&Ds), but recall that no one is forced to watch them. If they were good, they will bring more attention of fans. If they were bad, they would die off naturally.

But if you meant some fanmade "official canon version", then you're right, some consensus would be needed before publishing anything, to make sure it would be high-quality enough. I think that everyone should be able to submit their own ideas and scripts, but then through some voting system or similar, the best scripts would be chosen for the official show's development. There could be some "Trusted Bronies" who are known from their good judgement and who care enough for the show to be good quality, votes of which could have more impact on the overall result than the "average" Brony.

And the current writers of the show are amazing.

We could still work with them after open-sourcing MLP ;) They could have the deciding voice on the end result.

but it would be cool to see them and some of the fan media groups (such as JanAnimations) work towards licensing agreements. Maybe in return some of the skilled plush makers out there could license a good pattern to Hasbro so they could start producing better plushies...

Definitely! Hasbro should learn some Magic of Friendship and start to cooperate with us instead of competing. 

• Brohoof 1

I cringe when I think about what the fandom would do if they had the show in their hands.

Hasbro's doing a fantastic job with it.

57dd6_orig-5df78_orig_cringe.gif

I agree. I like the current direction the show is going in and I've never had any real major complaints. 

• Brohoof 1

I once put forward a similar idea, of "freeing the ponies" from the hands of Hasbro, by making a huge chip in on Kickstarter or similar, to raise enough money from the fans to be able to buy out the entire franchise of enslaved ponies from Hasbro, or at least some license which all fans could use to make their fan works, not having to worry anymore that Hasbro will come and Crush&Destroy their precious labor of love.

Also, see what I wrote here.

"Double Rainboom" was good when put in proper context: it was good in terms of animation. Nearly show-accurate, and probably the best fanmade animation (not counting Jan Animations, R.I.P.), regarding how  the "Double Rainboom" project used less resources and profesionals than DHX has available. Remember that it was the first fanmade project that big.

It was just bad at writing and dialogues, and overdone with references. Mixing it with Power Puff Girls universe was also a bad idea. But these flaws could be easily improved if more fans cooperated on that project. They definitely needed better writers.

You mean Crashed & Destroyed? *tsk tsk...* :-/

I'd rather like it to stay, at least as a remainder to the fans of what we are capable of. I don't know any other TV show which fans would made their own episodes solely by their bare hands. It might be crappy, but still notable, and should remain available for historical reasons.

Not necessarily. They could make spin-offs and "forks". They're free to do it anyway if they really want (not counting Hasbro's C&Ds), but recall that no one is forced to watch them. If they were good, they will bring more attention of fans. If they were bad, they would die off naturally.

But if you meant some fanmade "official canon version", then you're right, some consensus would be needed before publishing anything, to make sure it would be high-quality enough. I think that everyone should be able to submit their own ideas and scripts, but then through some voting system or similar, the best scripts would be chosen for the official show's development. There could be some "Trusted Bronies" who are known from their good judgement and who care enough for the show to be good quality, votes of which could have more impact on the overall result than the "average" Brony.

We could still work with them after open-sourcing MLP ;) They could have the deciding voice on the end result.

Definitely! Hasbro should learn some Magic of Friendship and start to cooperate with us instead of competing. 

I guess it's metaphor day for me today, because the phrase "too many cooks in the kitchen spoils the broth" comes to mind.

If the show was made by a "fan committee" it would turn into a mess of random ideas and would never branch out and try new stuff.

I think it's good for writers to have some freedom to "fuck up", because it means that they're trying new things and it will keep the series from stagnating.

• Brohoof 1

"Double Rainboom" was good when put in proper context: it was good in terms of animation. Nearly show-accurate, and probably the best fanmade animation (not counting Jan Animations, R.I.P.), regarding how the "Double Rainboom" project used less resources and profesionals than DHX has available. Remember that it was the first fanmade project that big. It was just bad at writing and dialogues, and overdone with references. Mixing it with Power Puff Girls universe was also a bad idea. But these flaws could be easily improved if more fans cooperated on that project. They definitely needed better writers.

Just because its fanmade doesnt mean it gets off easier than the actual show. Just because its fanmade doesnt mean I cant say it was a pile of sh!t because it was in my opinion. Just because its fanmade doesnt mean you can be skeptical about it.

Sure, animation was good... and thats it

Edited by SveciaDash

The problem, I think, is that these projects are not for profit. There are a couple groups giving Hasbro some serious competition as far as animation goes, and while they have been lenient with most fan media, when something is at that level (regardless of writing), it becomes a threat. If these projects were able to earn a profit, then the creators would have something to offer. These projects need to put themselves in a position to co-operate with Hasbro for mutual benefit; I'm sure Hasbro would play ball if there was money in it. 

To stay on topic, it would be cool to have a brony branch of the franchise for side projects, but the main body of it would remain in the hands of the current owners.