Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

gaming Best Free FPS?

iiNANOii

Team Fortress 2! All the unlockable / purchasable weapons are "side-grades" that often have major hidden disadvantages when compared to the primary weapons.

Loadout is a bit more mindless than TF2, and is just as cartoony, but has a bit more intense gore.

Alien Swarm is top-down, but very fun co-op, and features a levelling system.

Also, if you want to completely avoid monetization/multiplayer:

Cry of Fear is a Half-Life 1 mod (that no longer requires Half-Life 1!!) that you can install through Steam.

• Brohoof 5

Planetside 2 by far. Blacklight was meh, it's base was solid enough, but the pay to win model RUINED it for me. Planetside 2 is harder to run on older computers unfortunately, but it's the most massive, tactical, fun free to play fps.

Team Fortress 2, Warface, Blacklight Retribution, America's Army..

I haven't tried it yet myself but there's a half-life mod called Goldeneye source which is also strongly based on Goldeneye 64 that I want to try out. Judging by the videos, it really does a magnificent job of bringing the original game back to life.

Edited by Freedan

Team Fortress 2 is an amazing game regardless of costing money or being free. And since it actually also is free, I'd highly recommend it.

And as said before in this thread, despite there being a lot of weapons, they are side grades. And I mostly play stock weapons since they are they overall best. So the extra weapons I use for fun or to fill a very specific rolle. :)

TF2 is already mentioned plenty of times, so I'm going to say Loadout. It's actually over-the-shoulder-3rd-person instead of 1st person, but it's a pretty fun shooter where you can create weapons as you play along. It's not pay-2-win either, you advance by playing full matches.

Team Fortress 2 is an EXCEPTIONAL game. Assuming you're okay with dying frequently, and sometimes seeing obnoxious sprays laying about the maps from users. I play it quite often, and I am by far not bored of it.

You can get full access to features of the game by paying a little bit of coin, but I think it is definitely worth it. Worth it AND optional. Through regular play, you acquire random item drops - some of which are weapons. You don't need to pay a cent. The game runs through Steam's store and community market, so you can even sell your unwanted gear for a little, and eventually accumulate enough money to pay for things you'd normally put real money in to.

Eventually, you can get in a state where you trade and sell your gear in order to get gear you want. No need to put your own money in.

Edited by Unikitty

- TF2. everyone's saying to get it, and I'm joining them. 
- PlanetSide 2. If you can put up with the really long install times it's a fun game.
- If you have Origin, Battlefield 1942 is now free on it, supposedly that's pretty good

- Loadout is a pretty fun too. It's a TPS, though, so I don't know if it counts.
- HAWKEN is a mech FPS, it's pretty cool.
- Another one you can try is Black Mesa. It's a free remake of Half-life 1, launchable through Steam.

Edited by ~Chaotic Eddie~

TF2. Not only do you have better gameplay, more game modes, more diverse weapons and levels, and a better community, but it's also 100% FREE TO PLAY. I know it's been said a few times already, but that's the best free game I've ever played, especially since it's got nearly endless replay value.

I really like Quake Live. It is free and in my opinion far more interesting and skilled than TF2. but the down side is that in addition to being free-to-play, there are premium subscriptions, which most challenging players have purchased. So once you max out the skill level of people on the free subscription (happens pretty soon but generally depends on how quickly you pick up these types of games), games become a bit uninteresting since most of the more skilled players are enjoying the benefits of premium servers and you're stuck with people who are easy to beat. And that's kind of crappy. 

Anyway I'll leave you with this: 

Edited by ponypowa96

You should definitely check out Quake Live indeed, once you get to know the weapons and their abilities better it's a really fun game.

Tribes : Ascend is also pretty cool, it's a really fast-paced game kinda like Quake (with better graphics ofc) and it's completely free to play.

For free I'll have to go with everyone else and say tf2

For little monies I would say that CS go or CSS(my personal fav fps) is the best option (both at less then $10 and less then $3 in a good steam sale).

Have fun pwn'n people 

Here's my list. If you want to play TF2 sometime, add me. www.steamcommunity.com/id/slidewhistlesymphony

1. Halo: Combat Evolved (PC) - This was a great game for me.
  2. Half-Life 2 - Only words I have are "Don't go to Ravenholm."
  3. Max Payne - This isn't FP, but Max Payne 1 for PS2 (or whatever you wanna play it on, I recommend PS2). This game is no doubt my favourite video game I have ever played. Sure, the graphics are outdated, but the game's story is beautiful.

I think the overwhelming response to this would be Team Fortress 2. It's, like, common knowledge to PC gamers that the game is awesome and free ;)