Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Rihanna bullies 16-year-old

Scootadress

I don't take the literal meaning of words at heart but what the person means. Of course I meant she looked stupid in that shot, but she might be a cute girl, who knows. Calling retarded to a mentally disabled person is very rude but the context is changed.

It's like saying 'that's so gay', usually people don't say it to bash on gays, heck even gay people say that. They may use the word but they don't mean it that context.

Well okay. I've just been called that by countless people both online and IRL, including my father and even my brother. That and my mother works as an assistant teacher for children of plenty of mentally disabilities. Nonetheless the term used to be one I used every now and then but has since faded from my vocabulary even when I'm really pissed off. Needless to say I get really touchy when one uses the term even if they aren't using it in the context of actually saying ones retarded. If they explain they didn't mean it to come off that way then it's fine. But yes she did look rather silly in that outfit. Oh and gay bothers me as well unless it's used in a bit of ahhh not too hurtful way, like the "happy" type of thing or regferring to actually gay people but that's for errr other reasons. Yknow what I'm mean.
  • Brohoof 1

I totally see where you are coming from but when you get insulted for the entire world to see and the insult comes from someone as famous as Rihanna, someone this girl clearly idolizes, the impact is going to be far greater than just you or I posting an insult if we were so inclined.

When someone has as much influence as Rihanna has in the grand scheme of things, that power needs to come with responsibility, something she sadly neglected to remember when she posted what she did.

yeah your right about that. well at least the girl looks like she's pretty popular at school, I don't think the internet would scar her forever, or at least i hope so...

Well okay. I've just been called that by countless people both online and IRL, including my father and even my brother. That and my mother works as an assistant teacher for children of plenty of mentally disabilities. Nonetheless the term used to be one I used every now and then but has since faded from my vocabulary even when I'm really pissed off. Needless to say I get really touchy when one uses the term even if they aren't using it in the context of actually saying ones retarded. If they explain they didn't mean it to come off that way then it's fine. But yes she did look rather silly in that outfit. Oh and gay bothers me as well unless it's used in a bit of ahhh not too hurtful way, like the "happy" type of thing or regferring to actually gay people but that's for errr other reasons. Yknow what I'm mean.

i get what you mean, but you always have to think about the 'it's not what you say but how you say it' ;)

obviously I didn't mean retarded in 'that way'

• Brohoof 1

Celebrities, letting the fame and fortune go to their head and they think they're better than everyone. Believe me, I heavily dislike people that think they are better than everybody else.

I think that we have to allow the girl to have her fun and wear what she wants.  Just because you might think it looks bad doesn't mean it does to everyone.  Remember MLP tolerance please!

That said, whether she looked great or not isn't really the point.  The point is that Rihanna blatantly took to the internet to insult her.  Why on earth would someone with that notoriety and status feel a need to put the girl down?  Actually although the act was not continued, in a way it IS a form of bullying. 

I never liked Rihanna, I have always been amazed that no matter what horrendous looks she came up with for herself that the press always thinks she is amazing when she looks like crap (I'm sorry but for a while there she had on the most unflattering shade of red hair for her skin that she could have come up with) but I will give that she has a great voice and she has talent.

Unfortunately, with celebrities like her, you really see her image before you see the talent.   Very much like Miley Cyrus.  I can't stand to see photos of her anymore for what she has done to herself and sadly, she is also very talented.  Even Bieber has some talent but now no one pays attention to that because he is in "young kid gone crazy with fame" mode.

Bottom line is that Rihanna should be thoroughly ashamed of herself for picking on a fan who adored her.  

There you go, all fixed for you.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

Sounds like the media wanted to be the true cyber bully and take a shot at Rihanna. I frankly don't see what the fuss is about. Doesn't look like anyone took the time to read the article, just the headline.

Wu Tang Forever

Edited by Freewave
  • Brohoof 1

Celebrities these days...  :mellow:

I couldn't agree more...........can't stand most of them these days.    There are very good ones and that's only 25% of them.  The Rest are just so plan rude and immature.  Its all greed, IMO.

Sounds like the media wanted to be the true cyber bully and take a shot at Rihanna. I frankly don't see what the fuss is about. Doesn't look like anyone took the time to read the article, just the headline.

Wu Tang Forever

Your post is interesting.  Actually I did read the entire article.

Put yourself in the young woman's position.  She idolizes Rihanna.  She sees Rihanna in a dress that she loves so much she wants to have one made for herself.  That is no easy feat to begin with.  So lots of time and energy and probably many fittings goes into doing this dress (this is not right off the rack- this was a custom piece).  The girl is excited as all heck- she has what she considers an awesome dress that matches her idol Rihanna.

Rihanna proceeds to knock all her efforts and make her feel like a piece of garbage.  And why?  Why couldn't Rihanna just keep her smart ass remark to herself?  Why did she have to humiliate a young woman - a fan no less- and pretty much tell her that next time she "dreams" don't bother because dreaming hurts.

That's just plain wrong and I do see what the fuss is about.

• Brohoof 3

(edited)

This

BnKqmlMCMAA7I4s.jpg

is not cyber bullying.

If fans want to throw themselves in the spotlight, look RIDICULOUS as they do so, and then talk bad about the stars they supposed idolize when they respond in the ways that aren't necessarily flattering..... then it doesn't deserve this "backlash". 3 pages of knocking on celebs and Rihanna do not justify THIS "crime".

The press played you for a fool by throwing a bone and then having you chase after it. You did exactly what they wanted you to, to believe their exagerations.

Edited by Freewave

(edited)

Lmao "bullying" this is...bullying? Riiight.

A frowny face and the pic next to the Wu-tang symbol? (which is does look similar)

I think a lot worse could have been said, I don't even consider that bullying or "ganging up on someone".

I'm surprised their were no comments about how a 16 year old's sides of her tits were showing at a school function lmfao.

Edited by Guest

(edited)

Why are people acting such big d-words about this? Maybe to you guys it might not have been a big deal, but to the girl, it's god awful. How in the hell would you feel if a celebrity you idolized said something about you, that offended you? If Lacey Sturm from Flyleaf said something about me on a social media for everyone to see, I would feel torn...especially if it was about something I wore at a school function.

You know what, in my ever so humble opinion, I do think it is cyberbullying. You are humiliating somebody over something so damned small over the internet. I don't care if you suddenly have to be harassed multiple times to be considered cyberbullying, I think exposing this teenager to the entire world to see is more than enough. 

What the girl wore would be considered inappropriate, because you can see half her bod...but for a grown celebrity, instead of just leaving it alone and feel at least a tad bit honored someone idolizes her, decides to open her big mouth and say something about the teen, is just sad. Comparing what she wore with the Wu Tang Clan symbol? Really Rihanna? If I could, I would compare your outfit to the Green Lantern's mistress, maybe even a slimy booger or baby throw up.

Teens shouldn't be idolizing these people anyways...they should be idolizing somebody, like their mom, dad, cousin, teacher, somebody who actually tries in society rather than sitting in a tub full of gold.

Edited by Princess PeachBlink
  • Brohoof 3

(edited)

^^ You have good taste in music, Princess PeachBlink.

Though-it worsens it. She shouldn't make fun of her when she wore the same exact thing..but the girl pulls it off better in my opinion. (Seriously-green? Ick)

I thought they were both horrendous, myself.

Regarding the bullying aspect, it actually doesn't surprise me that Rihanna would do that.  Just because someone is a celebrity, it doesn't mean that they're a saint.

Edited by Washougal_Otaku
  • Brohoof 1

(edited)

If fans want to throw themselves in the spotlight, look RIDICULOUS as they do so, and then talk bad about the stars they supposed idolize when they respond in the ways that aren't necessarily flattering..... then it doesn't deserve this "backlash". 3 pages of knocking on celebs and Rihanna do not justify THIS "crime".

The press played you for a fool by throwing a bone and then having you chase after it. You did exactly what they wanted you to, to believe their exagerations.

I'm not sure what happened here but my quote got all messed up.  The above was by Freewave.

@Freewave, I'll bet that some people think that grown men dressing like ponies looks ridiculous too and I'll bet a celebrity saying that to one of those people or you would make you pissed as all hell.

We are not here to decide if this girl should or should not have worn the outfit or if we like it or not.  The internet hurts my friend.  It can be a wonderful tool and can be a powerful hurtful weapon.  Rihanna chose to make it a weapon and that is what the hooplah is all about.
Edited by Diva Pony

I think everyone might be over-reacting a little bit, I mean I've seen bullying and that isn't it.

I think some people need to get themselves a sense of humour and toughen the fuck up.

• Brohoof 2

(edited)

@Freewave, I'll bet that some people think that grown men dressing like ponies looks ridiculous too and I'll bet a celebrity saying that to one of those people or you would make you pissed as all hell.

We are not here to decide if this girl should or should not have worn the outfit or if we like it or not.  The internet hurts my friend.  It can be a wonderful tool and can be a powerful hurtful weapon.  Rihanna chose to make it a weapon and that is what the hooplah is all about.

Honestly i don't get to bent about things like this. There's plenty of people at bronycons looking ridiculous and they likely realize that a bit too. We've taken the flack sometimes and its part of how life works. We can say that the girl chose to dress like that and should have realized that she looked pretty silly before she put her photo on the internet. She was the one who posed like that. If Rihanna had posed in her dress like that she would have been ridiculed too.

At the end of the day she sent it to Rihanna, Rihanna commented (not being too mean about it i must add), and it was the fan and the press that made it a MUCH bigger deal then it needed to be.

Don't wanna be ridiculed on the internet?  Don't upload silly photos of yourself. This has NOTHING to do with bullying.

Edited by Freewave

Honestly i don't get to bent about things like this. There's plenty of people at bronycons looking ridiculous and they likely realize that a bit too. We've taken the flack sometimes and its part of how life works. We can say that the girl chose to dress like that and should have realized that she looked pretty silly before she put her photo on the internet. She was the one who posed like that. If Rihanna had posed in her dress like that she would have been ridiculed too.

At the end of the day she sent it to Rihanna, Rihanna commented (not being too mean about it i must add), and it was the fan and the press that made it a MUCH bigger deal then it needed to be.

Don't wanna be ridiculed on the internet?  Don't upload silly photos of yourself. This has NOTHING to do with bullying.

I'm sorry but I didn't see anything in the article that said she sent the photo to Rihanna.  Perhaps I missed that or perhaps it wasn't there?

I'm not going to keep arguing with you.  You have a great point about not uploading something ridiculous but guess what?  She thought it was cool.  Her friends thought it was cool.  And I don't think that the attendees of Pony Cons look silly either.  I was trying to make a point.  This is NOT about what she wore. 

With some people unless something is true to their own reality, they can't see beyond it.  It doesn't hit home for you therefore it doesn't exist.