Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

G5 turns 2 years old.

CastletonSnob

WOW! 2 years, huh? I may go a bit off tangent here, but this has made me reflect a bit.  I think G5 had a good start with the initial movie, but the handling in between with TYT & MYM was a bit rocky. The recent episodes and specials have shown great improvement overall. From the Hasbro marketing news from the past few months, I think it's only going to get better. I think G5 will surpass G4 in it's own storytelling and expand upon more things. G4 had many great things and had great mainstream exposure, but I feel like they did not capitalized on the potential stories, world building, and use other creatures/cultures as much as they should have. The last few seasons were rehashing plots from earlier seasons with slight twists and several characters were wasted from what I recall. I still enjoy G4 greatly and the mane six despite these issues.

G5's exposure and numbers are VERY high based on the numbers release so far. I think they may have or will surpass G4 in mainstream exposure. Whether that's a good or bad thing, is up to the viewer. It's quite possible that we are heading into another "golden age" for the community as I have seen a lot more people join here and numbers go up online. As for the other parts that I mentioned, G5 is already doing some new things that G4 hadn't done. I feel like they are just getting started. They will introduce more interesting concepts that will make things more fun for everyone as time goes by.

Is it a "worthy follow-up to G4"? Without a doubt, yes. G5 has had some really great moments that made itself unique in comparison to G4. In my honest opinion, I think G5 gets a lot of flack because it is set in G4's world and certain people had ridiculous expectations of how the series should be. Some people are comparing G4 and G5 through a nostalgia lens when they shouldn't.  I don't think it's fair to compare the two that way. They coincide in the same universe and have a bit of overlap, but these characters in G5 have their own original story and are dealing with things in their own unique way while making references to the previous gens.

I can not believe that two years ago, I was watching the G5 movie when it was new, and that about a year and a half ago, I was watching the G5 shows when they were new. Things may have been weird for G5 at the start, but I do believe more than ever now that the G5 shows are going to find much more of an audience over time and that this generation is going to live on for a long time. 

My thoughts towards generation 5 are mostly positive - though I worry about its future. Perhaps it hasn't quite fulfilled my (probably unreasonably high) expectations after the movie but I still like it a lot.

It's just a really big shame that Make Your Mark appears to be coming to an end. Tell Your Tale is all right, but there's only so much a five minute episode can do. For real in-depth stories and proper world and character building you need episodes that are longer than five minutes. I understand that we'll be getting four longer Tell Your Tale episodes next year so we'll have to wait and see if those can do anything interesting.

• 3 weeks later...

Two years in FiM had two seasons.  G5 is not even through its first season.  FiM had really hit its stride by that point in time.  G5 is...starting to improve, but has it really hit its stride?  With Misty, yes.  With anypony else?  Nah.  With worldbuilding?  Nah.  Music?  Nah.  Ok, I will once again acknowledge that one Opaline song, but one song that belongs in the pantheon of great pony songs is certainly quite low.  Do I think G5 can hold its own as the sole provider of current pony content?  I suppose, but comparing it to G4 does it no favours.  Of course, that's all the more reason why Hasbro shouldn't have forced us to constantly think about G4 while discussing G5G4 didn't have us think about G3 all the time, and certainly didn't need it as a crutch.  Do I think G5 is on a good trajectory?  If we can get more character moments like we have had with Misty this past Chapter, then maybe.  In all fairness, I don't think a show that was actually awesome would have been able to match the amazingness of FiM, so that should not be held against G5.  However, no I do not think it fills G4's horseshoes.