Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Twilight's Kingdom being a movie instead?

Nemesis Atlas

(edited)

Twilight's Kingdom should have been a movie instead or a 3 part episode

It's obvious that they rushed Episode 26 or Twilight's Kingdom Part 2 because:

• Instant Rainbow Power
  • Twilight's key being rushed as well
  • The 3 princesses didn't even remember the SUPER NOTICEABLE AND MAJESTIC LOOKING STAINED GLASS and they just let Tirek find out instead of Discord telling him
  • Instant regain of the Earth, Pegasi and Unicorn ponies magic/power
  • Twilight's Kingdom just showing up instantly
  • No reason why Twilight just suddenly wanted to be a real princess and not just a title (that's in Episode 25 or Part 1 but whatever)
  • Instant plan of transferring their magic to Twilight without any precautions
  • Tirek didn't get more power out of the five Mane 6
  • AND INSTANTLY BLOWING UP THE LIBRARY!

Well that's about all I can think of, they should have really made it into a movie so that it could have made more sense or at least a little bid more interesting, not to mention longer since it was so awesome to watch!

Edited by Nemesis Atlas

I'd like to tackle each point briefly, if I can:

Instant Rainbow Power

I don't think a 70 minute movie would have mitigated the swiftness of Rainbow Power. Equestria Girls moved quickly through the Human!Mane Six transforming and zapping Sunset Shimmer. I think we should generally expect our beloved deus ex machinas to be quick.

Twilight's key being rushed as well

Agreed on this point; in particular, I'm with Digibrony in stating that Discord's realization and his passing on his lesson to Twilight would have benefited from more time.

The 3 princesses didn't even remember the SUPER NOTICEABLE AND MAJESTIC LOOKING STAINED GLASS and they just let Tirek find out instead of Discord telling him

I always suspected the princesses were absolutely desperate and thus did not expect their ruse to last for any great length of time. It is a bit irksome that they do not give Twilight much by way of instructions, but the point may have been that Celestia, Luna, and Cadance recognized Twilight would need to confront Tirek with their combined powers. They were simply buying time.

Instant regain of the Earth, Pegasi and Unicorn ponies magic/power

I have no problem with the way this was handled. I'm not expecting a prolonged resolution to everypony losing their powers. Rainbow Power and the Power of Love fix things in a jiffy.

Twilight's Kingdom just showing up instantly

Again, I don't believe more time would have made this so much more superior than the actual result. The MLP formula might have demanded Celestia to make a speech about Twilight getting her own kingdom and such, but we already got a small sample of that in the episode itself.

No reason why Twilight just suddenly wanted to be a real princess and not just a title (that's in Episode 25 or Part 1 but whatever)

This is a flaw in the season rather than the episode as such. Twilight never previously indicated her desire to act as a princess; in fact, she overtly sought to avoid the association. A little more exploration would have been helpful in completing her character arc.

Instant plan of transferring their magic to Twilight without any precautions

I don't think they had time to weigh alternate plans and precautions. Tirek was wrecking Equestria something fierce.

Tirek didn't get more power out of the five Mane 6

He seemed to gather a good deal of power from them. Absorbing their power presumably served as the tipping point to allow him to overpower Discord.

AND INSTANTLY BLOWING UP THE LIBRARY!

A swift end can be dramatic in its own right. Twilight can further contemplate the loss of the library in Season 5.

• Brohoof 6

(edited)

Well I guess you're right, there are some parts I mentioned that didn't need to get longer, but if they just made the Twilight's key part and the Twilight suddenly wanting to have a big role as a princess longer, it might have been 20% cooler.

Edited by Nemesis Atlas

A 3-part episode would have been better, I agree the end was rushed.

But I'm glad it wasn't a movie, a movie seems "out of the show", and we wouldn't be sure whether it was canon or not.

Agreed on this point; in particular, I'm with Digibrony in stating that Discord's realization and his passing on his lesson to Twilight would have benefited from more time.

Actually, I'm not sure about that. I think a lot of time was given to this particular thread of the finale. Think about it: Discord has been harassing Twilight ever since they meant way back at the beginning of Season Two, and Twilight obviously has been questioning whether or not Discord's friendship outside of Fluttershy was sincere at all. Remember how Twilight and Cadance were harassed by him in "Three's A Crowd". It was clear he was just screwing around with her. Heck, earlier in the episode it was obvious that Discord was just screwing around with Pinkie, Rainbow, Rarity, and Applejack.

I think there was some build up to Discord learning his lesson. You can disagree, but that's the way I saw it.

Well, I agree that some parts of the episode were indeed rushed. However, I just don't believe there is enough material for a movie. And I've never seen a TV series with a 3-part episode (Stargate, maybe ? But I'm not sure. If anyone has any examples, just tell me :) ).

So, I think that the 2-part episode was okay.

i mean, in MLP, all the episodes involving a super-villain (Nightmare Moon, Discord, Chrysalis.....) were all two parts episodes.

(edited)

I'm reading the replies in this topic, and I'm frankly confused.

No, it shouldn't have been a three-parter or a movie, and I quite frankly didn't think of it as rushed in the slightest. The first part chronicled her troubles as feeling useless as a princess, and part two was the resolution - I saw people say her key felt rushed, but it really wasn't too different than the way any of the other mane 6 received their keys in terms of how it was given, not what happened before or after.

I can't see them cramming a whole extra episode on it, quite frankly, and same with a movie. It'd end up being forced as all get out, because everything that needed to be touched upon was touched upon, and there wasn't much left to do - not enough to warrant a third part, at least.

Edited by ghostfacekiller39
  • Brohoof 1

Sheesh now people are saying THIS finale is rushed?

"Every episode is a three parter now! And Twilight is a Unicorn again! Happy!?" - MA Larson

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

It's always nice to have more time with our favorite ponies, but I'm honestly not sure it would have made the store any better.

I'm also not sure I agree with the idea that there was no build up to Twilight wanting more from her princessship. Was it subtitle? Yes. Should they have done more? Hell yeah! The conflict started with the first two episodes where her friends started treating her differently and continued with Rarity Takes Manehatten and her lack of attention in RTM is contrasted with how she was treated in Twilight Time. Even the way she downplayed her role in Trade Ya foreshadows her discontent in the finale.

People ask when did she want princess duties? That question misses the point. She accepts that she is a princess, but she's also still Twilight Sparkle, and as a pony, she feels useless. You can't disconnect Twilight Sparkle from Princess Twilight Sparkle. They are the same pony, so it's natural the she would want to make something of her new life, since in many ways her life stood still since she ascended.

Edited by Nature's Spell

I was fine with the length of the episode. However, I think it WOULD be cool to have a season end with a full fledged movie on of these days. I don't think it will happen, but a man can dream.

What I don't really get is why they have the 2-part episodes in the first place.

For example, in some TV series (Stargate, for example), they have 2-part episodes at the end of each season where SG1 saves the world (just like Twilight saves Equestria once per season). However, what they do in Stargate is that the two part episodes are spread across the two seasons (last episode at the end of season and first episode at start of next season).

So, in MLP, since that is not what they do, they have the first part and then the second part after the break which makes it kind of useless....

Why don't they just do a 40-minute episode at the end of each season rather than splitting it in half ?

Some people may argue that it's to be build up the tension. I would agree if they were doing it the same way as Stargate but not when they're showing the two episodes one after the other.

Sheesh now people are saying THIS finale is rushed?

"Every episode is a three parter now! And Twilight is a Unicorn again! Happy!?" - MA Larson

To me, the other finales weren't rushed and this part was only a LITTLE bit rushed

But I just thought of this being a 3 parter since it was soooo EPIC that I think I wanted more and I kinda like the fact that Twilight became an Alicorn

Some people say there were flaws, some say there wasn't (I'm on the "flaws" side because of Tommy Oliver's and Digibrony's review about this, except for Digibrony's review about the fight scene being added) but seriously just wanted it to be longer because it was, again, EPIC. And I am wrong with most of the parts I said that were rushed.

"A Canterlot Wedding" was epic too, but it worked just fine as a two parter. Some people might say the ending felt rushed where the power of love instantly defeated Queen Chrysalis, but that's just the thing: the ending to just about every two parter feels rushed only because the show is all about super powered blasts that instantly defeat the villain. Of course it's going to feel rushed, most of the time there's no real fight. In Tirek's case, just be happy we got to have the big fight between him and Twilight Sparkle before they decided to whip out Rainbow Power and kick him right back to Tartarus.

• Brohoof 1

There's no doubt about it, Twilight's Kingdom would have made a fantastic movie, and I'm sure would have settled all the rustled jimmies of the fans who would prefer a pony movie than Equestria Girls. ^^

It doesn't need to be a movie, maybe some more time worked on or a 3rd part, but not a movie. It would be a little unnecessary

I would have loved to see it as a longer movie/3 parter. FiM's greatest faults are always its 3rd act. Very often, it's 3rd act feels rushed, and uses deus ex machina's to solve the issues at hand. While that is fine in moderated used, it grows very tiresome in overuse and at this point in the series it has almost become a cliche. A bit more time to really give the 3rd act a solid footing would be nice, and it would give them more time to have a 3rd act rather than just another "friendship is magic, eat muh rainbrew" power rangers finish.

Actually, I'm not sure about that. I think a lot of time was given to this particular thread of the finale. Think about it: Discord has been harassing Twilight ever since they meant way back at the beginning of Season Two, and Twilight obviously has been questioning whether or not Discord's friendship outside of Fluttershy was sincere at all. Remember how Twilight and Cadance were harassed by him in "Three's A Crowd". It was clear he was just screwing around with her. Heck, earlier in the episode it was obvious that Discord was just screwing around with Pinkie, Rainbow, Rarity, and Applejack.

I think there was some build up to Discord learning his lesson. You can disagree, but that's the way I saw it.

The issue here is that Twilight and Discord don't spend a lot of time on reconciling. The lesson of "Twilight's Kingdom" was really Discord's to learn (i.e., don't betray your friends for something "better"), not Twilight's. She didn't earn the lesson in the same way her friends did, thus creating a bit of a curiosity when Discord hands her the final key without much interaction. I think if Twilight and Discord had acknowledged their outstanding differences, then the lesson would have been more pertinent to Twilight. The most we get, however, is her demanding of Tirek that all of those captured be released in exchange for the Alicorn magic. As profound as that choice may be, dwelling on the choice could have enhanced the impact.

• Brohoof 1

The issue here is that Twilight and Discord don't spend a lot of time on reconciling. The lesson of "Twilight's Kingdom" was really Discord's to learn (i.e., don't betray your friends for something "better"), not Twilight's. She didn't earn the lesson in the same way her friends did, thus creating a bit of a curiosity when Discord hands her the final key without much interaction. I think if Twilight and Discord had acknowledged their outstanding differences, then the lesson would have been more pertinent to Twilight. The most we get, however, is her demanding of Tirek that all of those captured be released in exchange for the Alicorn magic. As profound as that choice may be, dwelling on the choice could have enhanced the impact.

When you put it like that, I do agree with you. I feel like they hit everything right with Discord, but I can't say the same for Twilight. It would've been better if they showed more of how she learned her lesson than how Discord learned his, since it was clear he had learned his the very hard way.

It's a great two-parter for what it is but if it could be made into a movie instead, I think it would've been pretty big being a "ponies only" movie and not like Equestria Girls. However, there's a criteria and a different atmosphere for doing something like this two-parter episode since there are some changes that would need to be considered and that it takes a lot of time to come up with the full story of "Twilight's Kingdom" instead of a whole week and that there would be some elements of it that would have to be tweaked to make it work for film.

It would be fun to see this episode be made into a movie as well as for what it is but we can only hope or not.