Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

technology The Glorious PC master race thread

Yourmomsponies

I've been interested in joining the master race, but I don't have a lot of money (not even enough for parts, I don't have a job yet) and my laptop is a Toshiba Satellite. If it breaks, I'll ask for a more gaming suited desktop (Alienware or Asus, maybe?) My laptop has such bad lag, I only have FNAF demo, Amnesia Demo, and Slender, and they play on my laptop like Internet Explorer loads: Not well. I just booted up FNAF demo, and I was sitting there for a good minute with nothing happening while it tried to load.

Build your own. I cannot stress this enough. All it is, is adult legos you don't need to be a super computer genius to do it. just Of Somewhat sound mind with common sense and decent problem solving skills. Theres no need to pay out the ass for someone else to build acomputer for you.

• Brohoof 1

That build still costs like twice as much as a console, and you're very lucky to find everything at such low prices.

Actually, I found a person on YouTube, Austin Evans, has some builds that are as cheap as $350. The specs look pretty nice for the budget too.

Why exactly is the computer the 'master race' again?

Lower priced games.

Customizable system. (You can have 10TB in your system, if you choose.)

It's also a PC, so you can make movies with it too. :3

• Brohoof 4

That build I posted is well under $600 and can run Ghosts(which is notoriously poorly optimized) at around medium-high settings at very playable FPS according to videos I found of a comparable(in fact, slightly slower) system running it.

PC gaming isn't that expensive anymore because of the rapid improvements to the more budget-friendly tier hardware in the last few years.

Funny you mention Ghosts because it runs worse than Crysis 3 does. I blame the hyper realistic fish AI.

• Brohoof 3

Funny you mention Ghosts because it runs worse than Crysis 3 does. I blame the hyper realistic fish AI.

It honestly perplexes me how they could make a game built on an engine technically from 1999 run so poorly.

• Brohoof 3

It honestly perplexes me how they could make a game built on an engine technically from 1999 run so poorly.

Yeah, I heard some big-name tech reviewer tried to run Ghosts on like a $3000 top of the line rig and still couldn't get it maxed-out and running smoothly because it was optimized so badly. 

I want to know why Blood(a build-engine game from like 1995) runs worse than Fallout 3 does on my system XD.

Yeah, I heard some big-name tech reviewer tried to run Ghosts on like a $3000 top of the line rig and still couldn't get it maxed-out and running smoothly because it was optimized so badly. 

I want to know why Blood(a build-engine game from like 1995) runs worse than Fallout 3 does on my system XD.

It shouldn't if you're using DOSBox. I'm not super up to date on source ports but I'm sure there's something out there that'll run Blood in OpenGL or something. Great game. :squee:

It shouldn't if you're using DOSBox. I'm not super up to date on source ports but I'm sure there's something out there that'll run Blood in OpenGL or something. Great game. :squee:

It is, I'm lucky to push 40FPS out if(unless that's a limitation of the engine)

I think a lot of older games have locked frame rates, I dunno. I don't think I've managed to push 60FPS in Daggerfall in DOSbox or natively.

Unless I have, and I'm being an idiot.

• Brohoof 2

It is, I'm lucky to push 40FPS out if(unless that's a limitation of the engine)

Dump more cycles into it. If you can't, another great reason to put together a new machine. DOSBox loves all the CPU it can get.

• Brohoof 1

I think a lot of older games have locked frame rates, I dunno. I don't think I've managed to push 60FPS in Daggerfall in DOSbox or natively.

Unless I have, and I'm being an idiot.

I know Doom doesn't, I've pushed 200FPS in it while running it in a source-port with no graphics mods before XD.

I know Doom doesn't, I've pushed 200FPS in it while running it in a source-port with no graphics mods before XD.

I don't think Bethesda has released the source code for the first two Elder Scrolls games, but they have re-released them as free downloads. Meaning, you still need a DOS environment to run them. In fact, I think The Elder Scrolls Anthology runs them in DOSbox.

• Brohoof 2

@@Envy, why not try out another game, like Civilization V? Looking at the system requirements for that game, it requires a PC from 2009. That's nothing.

But I don't wanna!

I mean, Civilization was cool to me a decade ago, but I find it rather boring nowadays. Besides, I'm not sure where you're going with that. Why should I have to settle for 'less'? (Not saying that Civilization itself is less, just that it's not what I want to play)

But I don't wanna!

I mean, Civilization was cool to me a decade ago, but I find it rather boring nowadays. Besides, I'm not sure where you're going with that. Why should I have to settle for 'less'? (Not saying that Civilization itself is less, just that it's not what I want to play)

Oh. Well, it was just a suggestion because there's more to PC gaming than just The Sims.

I have a HORRIBLE prebuilt system that can run ZDoom with the Brutal DOOM mod at 60 FPS and 640x480.  

Best thing to play if you have a crappy Gateway SX.

Or better known as... "This thing."

post-26625-0-08537700-1412369554_thumb.jpg

So glad I have a much better system now.

• Brohoof 2

Anyone play this game?

header.jpg?t=1407535025

Its a pretty great hardcore shooter that basically combines Arma3 and CS:GO. It is 15$ on steam and gets constant updates with new maps/updated maps. It runs on the Source Engine so it will run on almost anything.

I have a HORRIBLE prebuilt system that can run ZDoom with the Brutal DOOM mod at 60 FPS and 640x480.  

Mine can run Brutal Doom at 48-60 FPS on pretty beefy settings with minimal slowdowns. 

Mine can run Brutal Doom at 48-60 FPS on pretty beefy settings with minimal slowdowns. 

If I recall correctly, the framerate cap for vanilla DOOM.EXE was 35fps. Source ports, sky's the limit. Until something starts burning anyway.

• Brohoof 1

If I recall correctly, the framerate cap for vanilla DOOM.EXE was 35fps. Source ports, sky's the limit. Until something starts burning anyway.

I have the vanilla version in my folder of games to run in DOSbox so I should fire it up and check that out.

It's kind of pointless now though because vanilla on modern monitors looks like shit compared to running it in GZDoom.   

Oh. Well, it was just a suggestion because there's more to PC gaming than just The Sims.

You silly, we already had this discussion! I have no want to explore PC gaming any further. As I said before all I really care about is The Sims, and seeing as The Sims 4 is no good in my eyes, I can finally not have to worry about new versions not running so well on my computer and pressuring me to spend money to upgrade.

I want to keep it that way.

• Brohoof 1

You silly, we already had this discussion! I have no want to explore PC gaming any further. As I said before all I really care about is The Sims, and seeing as The Sims 4 is no good in my eyes, I can finally not have to worry about new versions not running so well on my computer and pressuring me to spend money to upgrade.

I want to keep it that way.

On that. You don't really need to upgrade much anymore. Intel maxed out their CPU performance a few years ago and while there still is some more power to squeeze out of a GPU, it's become an upgrade you do every 3 - 5 years, so even if you built a PC 5 years ago you're still, for the most part, good today.

• Brohoof 2