Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Taking A Small Yet Big Step: Coming Out Of The Brony Closet

GXPBlast

That reminds me of a time I was watching MLP on TV as my dad got home from work right after I changed the channel when it was over.

Also, if anyone else is willing to do this, tell their parents (they can't already know) and record it and post it on YouTube, feel free to do so. You do it, and I'll do it. It would be for fun.

Haha yeah it prob would be fun! Of course my parents wouldn't have a big reaction. They know I watch kid shows still, have for years, and they have always just said they'd rather me watch that then some things out there.

(edited)

Haha yeah it prob would be fun! Of course my parents wouldn't have a big reaction. They know I watch kid shows still, have for years, and they have always just said they'd rather me watch that then some things out there.

My dad still watches G.I. Freakin Joe and Transformers still and he would have a huge reaction. Not to mention Courage the Cowardly Dog, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Code Name Kids Next Door... I don't think I need to continue.

Then again, this is what I say to that.

post-23015-0-05949400-1402462414_thumb.jpg

Edited by BruinBrony
  • Brohoof 1

My dad still watches G.I. Freakin Joe and Transformers still and he would have a huge reaction. Not to mention Courage the Cowardly Dog, Foster's Home for Imaginary Friends, Code Name Kids Next Door... I don't think I need to continue.

Then again, this is what I say to that.

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Haha wow that's interesting, of course there's nothing wrong with him watching that stuff but I'd be kind of frustrated if someone watched kid shows and was telling me I shouldn't. Nope. Not gonna stop watching them lol. Plus, the great thing about adults watching them is whenever you kids it makes those shows easier to tolerate......

(edited)

That reminds me of a time I was watching MLP on TV as my dad got home from work right after I changed the channel when it was over.

Extremely close call I assume lol.

Edited by GXPBlast

(edited)

Haha wow that's interesting, of course there's nothing wrong with him watching that stuff but I'd be kind of frustrated if someone watched kid shows and was telling me I shouldn't. Nope. Not gonna stop watching them lol. Plus, the great thing about adults watching them is whenever you kids it makes those shows easier to tolerate......

Yeah. I had quite the bad experience when I hit the wall when he was yelling at everyone, though. I don't think he could handle it. How did he know I didn't accidentally hit the wall with my elbow? My bed's right next to it.

Extremely close call I assume lol.

Very. It was the episode where Derpy talked, but I'd only ever seen it on YouTube, so when I heard that they changed her voice, I wanted to see what everyone meant. I had the captions on, though. RD still said "Derpy" according to that.

Also, if anyone else is willing to do this, tell their parents (they can't already know) and record it and post it on YouTube, feel free to do so. You do it, and I'll do it. It would be for fun.

Nevermind. Not gonna, he's been in a bad mood almost all the time, and I don't think he could handle it, even though its really nothing.

Also can't forget that he still watches cartoons, but he will forget when he hears it.

Did have one funny reaction from someone today, though.

Him:(My name), I have to tell you something very personal.

Me: Yeah?

Him: My. Little. Pony.

Me: Yeah?

Him: Is. A. Good. Show.

Me: :)

Him: To make fun of.

Me: I disagree.

Him: HE'S ONE OF THEM!

Edited by BruinBrony

I know that at first when I got into the show I tried hidding it from everyone except my family because I didn't want to be embarrased I think that's the reason I renamed my Ponyta from AppleBloom to Flame but I even played a guessing game however word got out at school about it because that's when I wasn't good at hiding things and then after that everyone knew I watched it and back in September I got ponies and hid them but now my parents know I'm into MLP and they're cool with it(well not yelling at me and doing bad things about it) and my friend's nice so yeah you can come out and as for those in public the worse they could do is say "You're a brony" it would most likely get other bronies attention and then you'll have more friends but take it one step at a time don't just buy lots of ponies run out in public and yell out the MLP:FIM theme song.

it should not bee so hard telling friends that you are a brony because if they really are your friends they wont  make fun of you in any way.  :D

when i told my best friend that i was a brony  he told me that he hates the show but dont care about me watching it  :wub:

(edited)

I am actually abit excited and abit nervous about this whole thing. But in the end I think this will be a big step for me.

Edited by GXPBlast

Anyone else order MLP themed stuff from redbubble? How is the quality of their shirts? I dont want to spend $30 to have my shirt rip in the washing machine easily or tear with little effort.

How many times will you repost this?

• Brohoof 1

I wish I had the balls to do it, I mean, not that I'm not proud to be a Brony, it's just people are judgmental and it sucks dealing with it...

I am actually abit nervous about doing this myself lol. But I figure if I want to increase my chances of encountering bronies this is the only way I can think of that I feel confortable with without making myself a target by having an obvious pony shirt. A subtle MLP themed shirt is a great start in my opinion to start coming out. Plus the one I am thinking about getting even looks cool in general despite it being MLP related.

(edited)

You could say it's...one small step for bros, one giant leap for bronykind

I've worn Rainbow Dash dog tags.

The shirt I am looking at is rainbow dash themed but even more subtle since it's color being flamed I just hope it's not to subtle for bronies to pick up. Edited by GXPBlast

Firstly I would say it is a good choice to come out, although not fully. I wasn't in the brony closet for that long (only a week until I told my dad). Everybody has their own time, and I guess you choosing the time to do so now is great. I think the first group of people you should tell is your parents, unless they are the type that would disapprove, then you should tell a very close friend you could trust.

(edited)

Firstly I would say it is a good choice to come out, although not fully. I wasn't in the brony closet for that long (only a week until I told my dad). Everybody has their own time, and I guess you choosing the time to do so now is great. I think the first group of people you should tell is your parents, unless they are the type that would disapprove, then you should tell a very close friend you could trust.

My parents and family would disown me lol figuratively speaking.

But I dont want to come out that I am a brony to random people or even those close to me as I dont have the confidence or the ability at this point to deal with the harassment that would come with it. All you have to do is check out the horrible experiences some bronies have dealt with when they finally decided to come out to their family and friends . Sure there are some positives but the negatives outweigh the good that could occur. Instead I rather come out to other bronies as I would know I would not be judged negatively, plus we have a common interest and in the process I would make a new friends.

Edited by GXPBlast

I just come out and say that I'm a pegasister. If someone sees that as immature or odd, then go ahead and think that.

My parents and family would disown me lol figuratively speaking.

But I dont want to come out that I am a brony to random people or even those close to me as I dont have the confidence or the ability at this point to deal with the harassment that would come with it. All you have to do is check out the horrible experiences some bronies have dealt with when they finally decided to come out to their family and friends . Sure there are some positives but the negatives outweigh the good that could occur. Instead I rather come out to other bronies as I would know I would not be judged negatively, plus we have a common interest and in the process I would make a new friends.

Ok I guess that would make sense. A part I left out from my own: yes I told my dad a week after becoming a brony, but it actually took seven months until I told my friend I was one ( I really didn't say anything, that brony friend found out by himself from the Rainbow Dash wristband I was wearing, which then got out around the whole school)

(edited)

Ok I guess that would make sense. A part I left out from my own: yes I told my dad a week after becoming a brony, but it actually took seven months until I told my friend I was one ( I really didn't say anything, that brony friend found out by himself from the Rainbow Dash wristband I was wearing, which then got out around the whole school)

What was the reaction by the many people at your school that you like MLP? Edited by GXPBlast

What was the reaction by the many people at your school that you like MLP?

Surprisingly there were positive reactions with some neutral. It was probably because I was on the sports team and the players already get a ton a respect, or they just really didn't care.

(edited)

Surprisingly there were positive reactions with some neutral. It was probably because I was on the sports team and the players already get a ton a respect, or they just really didn't care.

Thats good to hear. You lucked out big time, as for many bronies it does not turn out that well.

Edited by GXPBlast

I still get really annoyed when people equate admitting to watching a television program to the life changing ordeal of admitting that you are gay or bisexual. It demeans and lessens what people go through while dealing with their family's and friends reactions to them not being heterosexual. It's rather insulting.   I love MLP, but people need to get a grip. It's just a TV show. Bronies got saddled with a gay stereotype by using the term "Coming out" to describe admitting to people that they watch a half hour program. Bronies created the negative feedback, and then enforced it by stealing embracing the term "Coming out".   Do people "Come Out" when they tell someone that they watch "NCIS" or "Law and Order"? No, that's just foolish. Do people "Come out" when they say they watch "Adventure Time"? No, for the same reason.

I think I might be in love.  

• Brohoof 1

A few weeks ago, I told my father I watch MLP. His first reaction was "What!? You're a brony?" I was actually surprised he knows the term "brony". To continue on, he was later was okay that I was a brony. He also told me one of my cousins was a brony also!  :P  Well, a few minutes ago, I changed my Facebook user picture and cover to ponies. Who will flip out first?  :lol: