Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Taking A Small Yet Big Step: Coming Out Of The Brony Closet

GXPBlast

(edited)

After much thought and research about bronies coming out of the closet I have decided its my turn to come out at least partially.

This incident really spiked when I spotted a brony first time out of school on my way back home but was unable to go up to him do to the huge amount of people around us and the fact that I did not want to bother the guy since he was deeply sucked into watching an episode of MLP on his phone. I tried getting his attention subtly by playing a fan made MLP video on my phone hoping he would notice and come up to me if he happened to look in my direction, But sadly he did not as he was still busy watching and episode on his phone still and had headphones on.

My goal is to not make in obvious I am a brony to the average person but to grab the attention of bronies themselves. You see I noticed many bronies are not super open about it unless asked or bring MLP up in a conversation. This was the first brony I encountered that made it subtly obvious he was a brony as he had a sailer moon shoulder bag, invader zim shirt, light blue solid colored headphones, and a pink cell phone case that looked to have pinkie pie on it.

I really want to meet bronies and the only way I might grab the attention of them is by showing off merchandise subtly. I dont want to make it obvious I like MLP to a regular person such as wearing a shirt with a pony on it. The shirt I eventually plan on buying is very subtle that only a brony would know what it is. Besides going to brony related events which I dont plan on doing any time soon, this is the only way I will increase my chances of encountering one in public.

I still will remain relatively closeted but I want to meet other bronies and the only way I can increase that without capturing unnecessary anti brony attention is to be rather incognito. By wearing this shirt bronies might see it and come up to me or ask me if I was a brony to in which I would respond with a yes and get to know them thus possibly making a brony friend.

But besides that I will still remain closeted among family and other people who are judgmental or have a big mouth.

Although this is a small step in coming out as a brony, I feel that it is a huge accomplishment for me and maybe as I meet more bronies I will be more confortable with it and may buy even more pony merchandise and go to meetups. But until then this is one small but big step for me.

Also to those who were once in the brony closet, what was your first step in coming out of the closet and what was your first step in doing so? Was it successful and did you meet other bronies by doing so?

Here is the shirt that I plan on buying eventually and when I do I will share it with you guys. I really like it and its very subtle but obvious enough for a brony to spot. What do you guys think of it? The only thing is its quite expensive lol. Around $30 on redbubble. I sure hope its made of nice materials and will last awhile.

Anyone else order MLP themed stuff from redbubble? How is the quality of their shirts? I dont want to spend $30 to have my shirt rip in the washing machine easily or tear with little effort.

img-2713312-1-2q8djs8.png

Edited by GXPBlast
  • Brohoof 5

Redbubble is the place to look for shirts, man. They have everything - I'm sure you'll find a lot of ways to subtly express your bronydom there :D 

Also, good luck - I've never been a closet brony, so I can't say I can understand what you're going through nor offer any worthwhile advice, but I can wish you the best! :D

• Brohoof 2

Welp', I've been a closeted pegasister before. I was afraid everypony would judge me, spread rumors, gossip, etc. etc.

But one day I finally got the courage and integrity to say to myself; "you know what? I don't care what they say/think. I like MLP and that's all that matters!" Hopefully that moment/thought will come to you someday soon, you've accomplished great baby steps out of the brony closet, and I'm proud of you for that! :)

• Brohoof 1

(edited)

Redbubble is the place to look for shirts, man. They have everything - I'm sure you'll find a lot of ways to subtly express your bronydom there :D

Yep thats where I found the shirt. Although its quite expensive lol. A sweater can go upwards of $50.

They do have a ton of stuff though.

Edited by GXPBlast

(edited)

@@GXPBlast: I've seen you around here quite a lot, and you've mentioned many times that you're a closet brony, and, truth be told, it has always made me sad.  I wish everyone the confidence and courage to be open and proud of who they are and what they like, but I know it's not easy.  I want you to know how happy am I to hear that you're taking this first step.  It made my day.  And it is indeed a big step and something to be proud of.  Congrats.  I wish you the best of luck and I hope it works out well for you, and that it boots your confidence and leads to bigger and better things.  And btw, I think your shirt choice is excellent.  People unfamiliar with the show will think nothing of it.

Edited by Justin_Case001

I'm not here to judge but I still don't understand the whole "closet brony" thing. I don't think you should find the need to tell/not tell everyone that you watch a show. I mean if the people you know don't watch it, then it's not like you can talk to them about it so why tell them? If you happen to be talking to someone else who DOES watch the show and your other friends find out, then who cares? just say you watch the show (i mean its just a cartoon for pete's sake). If you treat it like something awkward and weird and "come out" to your friends who aren't bronies, then they will likely respond in the same way. 

On a side note, as far as stealthy T-shirts go. I have one that has "harmony" spelled out by periodic elements (get it, "elements of harmony" huehuehue). Only bronies get it and everyone else thinks it is just some generic nerd shirt. My sister bought it on thinkgeek.

• Brohoof 3

@GXPBlast: I've seen you around here quite a lot, and you've mentioned many times that you're a closet brony, and, truth be told, it has always made me sad.  I wish everyone the confidence and courage to be open and proud of who they are and what they like, but I know it's not easy.  I want you to know how happy am I to hear that you're taking this first step.  It made my day.  And it is indeed a big step and something to be proud of.  Congrats.  I wish you the best of luck and I hope it works out well for you, and that it boots your confidence and leads to bigger and better things.  And btw, I think your shirt choice is excellent.  People unfamiliar with the show will think nothing of it.

Thanks for the kind words. I believe this is a big step for me. Although a very small step, its an important step. It may be some time before I buy the shirt but I plan to have it before the end of the summer, and hope I will encounter some bronies and grab their attention with the shirt.

I came partially out of the stables a couple weeks ago (actually, my darling wife helped push me out) when I admitted being a brony to one of my friends (who, fortunately, is also a pegasister). So, that wasn't really so bad.

I'm coming full-blown out of the stables when I attend my first convention in August. I even plan on announcing it on Facebook.

I try not to wear my pony stuff in public myself. My dad has scared the ever living crap out of me about it.Apparently in his mind if I went around wearing Pony shirts everyone would look down on me. It would stop me from getting a full time job, it would stop me from ever having a girlfriend, etc.etc, etc,etc. A shirt with a cutie mark always works, or a saying that all Bronies would know but, other people may think it means something else entirely.

Like for example, "20 percent Cooler" now a regular Brony would probably know you're a Rainbow Dash fan right off the bat. But, other people would probably look at it and not know if you're a Brony or not. So, I'm not really a "Closet" brony as many people may think. Just about everyone I actually know, knows I'm a brony. My Parents know, my friends know, the people at my work know, the people on Facebook, I think know, I have "Ponyhoof" but, they might not really know. But, I try not to make it obvious to people I don't know, fearing that some of my dad's predictions will come true.

Nice car. Looks to be a Mustang Cobra.

Nah, it's better then that even though it's 97 GT

2001 Cobra Engine, BBk shorty headers, Summit Racing H-Pipe, Flowmaster 40's, 4:10 rear end, B&M short shifter, MSD Ignition, 2001 Cobra seats, H&R Super Sport Springs, Bilstein HD shocks and struts, 93 Octane tuned, 18 inchc Chrome Cobra R rims with Summito tires (grip like crazy)

And a nice... stock purple paint (my fav color)

I came partially out of the stables a couple weeks ago (actually, my darling wife helped push me out) when I admitted being a brony to one of my friends (who, fortunately, is also a pegasister). So, that wasn't really so bad.

I'm coming full-blown out of the stables when I attend my first convention in August. I even plan on announcing it on Facebook.

Wow good job man. I assume your going to bronycon and if so have fun.

I cannot be the only one repeatedly thinking "A wild brony appeared!" and playing this in my head the entire time I was reading this post.

Oh, but I have no helpful advice. B)

• Brohoof 1

I feel sorry for you guys. I'm out there loud and proud. lol img-2717507-1-9km0xh.jpg

Nice GT. I hang a funko rainbowdash from the rear of my 02 GT. The tuner kids got to have something to look at. And to the OP dont worry about what people think. Most people dont care and if they do they can go buck themselves.

• Brohoof 1

Wow good job man. I assume your going to bronycon and if so have fun.

I wish, but instead I'm going to Brony CAN (In Vancouver, where I live.)

(edited)

I wish, but instead I'm going to Brony CAN (In Vancouver, where I live.)

That is technically one of Canada's biggest being conventions. Anyways I am sure you are going to have a great time.

Edited by GXPBlast

(edited)

I still get really annoyed when people equate admitting to watching a television program to the life changing ordeal of admitting that you are gay or bisexual. It demeans and lessens what people go through while dealing with their family's and friends reactions to them not being heterosexual. It's rather insulting.

I love MLP, but people need to get a grip. It's just a TV show. Bronies got saddled with a gay stereotype by using the term "Coming out" to describe admitting to people that they watch a half hour program. Bronies created the negative feedback, and then enforced it by stealing embracing the term "Coming out".

Do people "Come Out" when they tell someone that they watch "NCIS" or "Law and Order"? No, that's just foolish. Do people "Come out" when they say they watch "Adventure Time"? No, for the same reason.

Edited by cuteycindyhoney
  • Brohoof 4

(edited)

That shirt is pretty awesome, hopefully you will meet other bronies when you're getting it.

And I know exactly what you mean, me also still being a "closet brony". I'm not sure for how long though, because I'm tempted to get a pony t-shirt some time and I don't really care what others think of it anymore. :D

The thing is that I figured out that being a brony is a great thing. The problem is dealing with the negative reactions from other people. Being closeted is understandable due to this. But I can't be closeted forever if I want to meet fellow bronies.

When coming out I don't want to make it super obvious such as wearing or buying pony merchandise that would attract negative attension from family, or judgemental people.

I give credit to to the bronies out there who are proud to show off their brony pride but for me I cannot deal with the negative outcomes that would come with it.

Also since I don't plan on going to meetups any time soon, wearing something subtle that only a brony can identify is the best way for me right now to possibly increase my chances of meeting bronies in public.

Edited by GXPBlast

That's great!! So glad you're coming out with being a brony! I actually sort of, came out today, I was watching MLP on Netflix when my parents came home and I just let it keep playing......

If either one of my parents caught me watching MLP I think they would demand me go see a therapist or just flip the hell out lol.

• Brohoof 1

If either one of my parents caught me watching MLP I think they would demand me go see a therapist or just flip the hell out lol.

Lol well they actually got me watching it before and she said I didn't have to turn it off, which I knew but I didn't wanna bother them with it, so today when they came in they asked what it was and just smiled and shrugged it off haha that's what I thought would happen so that was nice. I'm glad that they were fine with it. But I know they'd rather me watch that then other things out there that I could be watching.

That's great!! So glad you're coming out with being a brony! I actually sort of, came out today, I was watching MLP on Netflix when my parents came home and I just let it keep playing......

That reminds me of a time I was watching MLP on TV as my dad got home from work right after I changed the channel when it was over.

Also, if anyone else is willing to do this, tell their parents (they can't already know) and record it and post it on YouTube, feel free to do so. You do it, and I'll do it. It would be for fun.

• Brohoof 1