Banner by ~ Ice Princess Silky

Is Equestria a sphere, a disc, or something else?

~ Dr. Ocsid ~

I know "Equestria" is probably just the name of a major continent on the planet, but since there is no name given yet for the planet, I will just go with "Equestria".

So. There are apparently no time-differences in Equestria, and sun and moon seem to rise at the same time in the whole world. Also, the princesses are able to look over "all of Equestria" with their telescope, which means the planet isn´t curved.´Therefore I think it is a disc.

But there is another explanation: It also could be an extremely large and light sphere, so the land is curved at such a small degree, that the continent of Equestria seems to be on something flat.

This would mean that the sun and the moon would drop into the oceans, break through the material of the crust, and dive under the continent to rise on the other side.

Well.....

´Meh.

So, what do you think?

Do you have another explanation to this?

• Brohoof 1

Maybe they think it is a sphere, but it really is a disc?

Also, this "globus" could only look like a sphere but really be a vertical disc.

Could be.

One way to explain raising the sun and moon is that the heavens are 2d, a disc perpendicular to the planet.

(edited)

Or maybe Discord did something strange to the dimensions in his reign of Chaos, and the royal sisters didn´t bother with it ´cause it wouldn´t be worth the effort. That would explain the lack of logic.

Edited by YetAnotherDiscord

Also, this "globus" could only look like a sphere but really be a vertical disc.

No, look at the reflection of light on it, it suggests it's a sphere.

They have to "raise" the sun and moon. Not move it, raise it, as in bringing it up. Equestria (the world) is a floating, flat piece of land. (Also,  Equestria itself is a kingdom. Tirek and his brother are said to have come from out of Equestria, if I remember correctly)

Maybe the use of a globe mentioned above is a form of outdated cartography?

Kind of like a comical reverse from our world, where people used to think it was a flat plane, then finding out it was spherical.

Maybe ponies thought it was spherical, then discovered it was flat! :D

• Brohoof 3

One thing I noticed the other day rewatching "Princess Twilight Sparkle" is that, without any external force (Celestia and Luna) acting upon them, the sun and moon balance out to a given point in the sky. They don't travel around the world on their own. Which, to me, seems to indicate that the world is not spherical. But that's just speculation, really.

(edited)

The world is a sphere. All worlds are spheres, I think, ones that could sustain life anyway. :huh:

I almost thought that the princesses just moved the planet itself, but it really seems that they control the sun and the moon fully. Equestria is most likely in its own solar system controlled by magic or something with those circumstances. :o

Edited by Radiance64

You know, "Silly Twilight, everypony knows the world is round" would make a good episode. Everyone knows it's true, but Twilight stubbornly insists the world must be flat, maybe even arguing precisely from the fact that sun and moon must be manually raised. It would be a way to get a flat world, like Narnia, which would be neat.

But yeah, outside of such a possibility, it looks pretty clear Equestria is round.

I've always thought of it as a continent.

I mean Gryffons to me seemed like they came from a different country or something same goes for the most of the other species we've seen in the show. It's iust my opinion of course though.

There's probably other countries and continents that are homes to other creatures, Equestria is just the only one we've seen. Wouldn't it make sense to have non equine creatures live somewhere not populated by ponies?

And have some of them have traveled to Equestria to live there? Perhaps the globe was just a representation of the entire world the FiM worlds in and not just for Equestria. Or it was just there for something else for Spike to hoard.